A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

NOT a serious thread

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
No politics involved, but, Seriously, I am feeling good! Leaving you with Andre Rieu's AWESOME performance of our National March.

"Stars and Stripes Forever"

Enjoy!

Aah one day I must tell the story how I got ambushed by a herd of Andre Rieu fans....
That was a narrow escape...:eek:

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Yes, I know the feeling. Sometime (not far away) I will re-read this entire thread and re-live the good old days of November/December last year.

I wonder if elephants ever experience dementia?? :oops:
I can't ask Ozy. He is not at all communicative since vnwalking had to leave him behind. Some silly rules about quarantine... on the other hand, it's a few days since vnwalking left him behind, maybe he has forgotten. I will try later, when he has had something to drink. He knows about the various animals that have Camino passports, and is quite miffed actually that he doesn't have one, so I will have to tread carefully.
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 14.27.58.png by the way, far too hot for red socks these days....

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Now you just have to tell -now! (you brought it on yourself) :p
Every year Andre Rieu does a huge concert on one of the main squares in his hometown Maastricht ( close to the Belgian border and the town where I live ) . So I went to my favourite bookstore there ( old Dominican church now converted in a bookstore ) and then I went for a coffee.
By then the roadies and tech people were in full form prepping the stage for that eve's concert.
So I was on my way from the coffeehouse to the station when I saw a bunch of elderly ladies coming towards me and they were screaming excitedly .
Now I know I am a likeable person :p:p but hey all that attention for me???
Then I heard them crying " André , André ". Seemed mister Rieu was walking five metres behind me.:cool:
He came out of the same side street but obviously visited a much fancier place than my humble coffeehouse....

I got home safe!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
He is not at all communicative since vnwalking had to leave him behind.
Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that. When I showed up, he must have thought he would be going back to the forest in Burma. But here I am in mid-Ingles, in Bruma!

The hospitalera last night had to remind me of indepedence day. Bad American. (It's great to be here. I saw giraffes yesterday on some advert or another...it made me smile. But sadly no elephants.)

Last edited:

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Meanwhile at the World Cup, tomorrow:

-- France vs Uruguay (The Blues vs La Celeste)
-- Belgium vs Brazil (The Red Devils vs La Verde-Amarilla)

Meaning that Uruguay and Belgium will need a "perfect game" to win against the two FIFA favorites. Good luck to YOUR team, seriously.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Every year Andre Rieu does a huge concert on one of the main squares in his hometown Maastricht ( close to the Belgian border and the town where I live ) . So I went to my favourite bookstore there ( old Dominican church now converted in a bookstore ) and then I went for a coffee.
By then the roadies and tech people were in full form prepping the stage for that eve's concert.
So I was on my way from the coffeehouse to the station when I saw a bunch of elderly ladies coming towards me and they were screaming excitedly .
Now I know I am a likeable person :p:p but hey all that attention for me???
Then I heard them crying " André , André ". Seemed mister Rieu was walking five metres behind me.:cool:
He came out of the same side street but obviously visited a much fancier place than my humble coffeehouse....

I got home safe!
:D This reminds me of the marathon runner. There was tremendous applause, fanfare and whistles blowing as he approached the finish line. What? Was all this for him? He looked around for clarification and realized that the first woman was also approaching the finish line, and she was just about to pass him. :D

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
At the World Cup
-- France wins over Uruguay with a score of 2-0 and mis amigos Uruguayos are now heading home.
-- Belgium did exactly what the doctor ordered, that is beat Brazil 2-1 and mis amigos de Brazil are heading home.
Good luck to YOUR team!
Hi Sailor, I know nothing about sports, so I'd be lyin' if I "liked" your post. ;)

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Concur with Miss S, a semi-final game between Sweden and Croatia would be a fun one to watch (we have a good number of FIFA favorites out of competition, good luck in Doha in 2022). Buena suerte a tu equipo.
I was talking about the semis...
My guess for finale now : Belgium-Croatia...

Ok sorry people for hijacking with my Red Devils.
Over to the serious newsdesk now!

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Fireworks are illegal for residential use in Los Angeles.
oh...for almost 2 decades fireworks in my hometown where our president came from banned the fireworks in residential, otherwise conducted by city government or take a special permit. There was a huge drop in fireworks industry & huge drop in accidents related to fireworks.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Best game of the Cuartos de Finales, Croatia wins. Russia displayed CLASS and determination in defeat. "What kind of men are these you have sent upon us. Men competing not for glory but for honor." This applies to both teams. Buena suerte to YOUR team!

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
As of now 28 teams have gone home and we have the final four all set for the Semi-Finals or Semi Finales.

-- France vs Belgium (Tuesday, July 10th)
-- England vs Croatia (Wednesday, July 11th)

Good luck to YOUR team.

And now I will leave you with “Sueño de Campeones” (this is from Telemundo, the local network with the best coverage of the Copa Mundial FIFA Rusia 2018).

Camino(s) past & future
My team won! The Thai boy's soccer team has been rescued thanks to so many risking so much and even losing a life.
And my team too! I am just AWED by the wonderful rescue. Awe is something that has been reduced somewhat but by the hokey, it needs to be shouted out here!

Camino(s) past & future
And at last nobody's talking about that elephant in the room anymore... oops I meant .. in the Catedral!
You want elephants in Cathedrals? Type in :los jeronimos lisboa elefantes and follow your trunk... i mean nose...
or take a trip to Copenhagen.. cultural of course...
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 08.38.46.png

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
This news of the cave rescue is so heartwarming - these kids have brought out the very best in us.
Now if we could value every human life as much.
(Ooops...Sorry, that was way too serious. But it's an inspiring thought, rather than a downer...)

And now it's back to normal for everyone in Belgium. You only have to live through the Tour de France hype now.;)

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
You want elephants in Cathedrals? Type in :los jeronimos lisboa elefantes and follow your trunk... i mean nose...
or take a trip to Copenhagen.. cultural of course...
View attachment 44475
Not exactly a cathedral, but the entrance to the Carlsberg brewery area (dating back from 1847) and the so-called Elephant Gate with four gigantic granite elephants was built in 1901. The brewery still make the Elephant beer (strong! 7.2%) which I think is exported to many countries.

Carlsberg Elephant.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Not exactly a cathedral, but the entrance to the Carlsberg brewery area (dating back from 1847) and the so-called Elephant Gate with four gigantic granite elephants was built in 1901. The brewery still make the Elephant beer (strong! 7.2%) which I think is exported to many countries.

View attachment 44481
What’s the name of this thread again? I know, I know! A bit of poetic licence... and Federer is fighting for his match... and Anderson is fighting just as hard. And the miracle of yesterday is till far far more important....

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Or the Pursuit of Life in his many silly forms and varieties...
The Perennial Thread --- this is like mi camino infinito. This is where I come on a daily basis, I click to open the thread wondering what type of crazy/funny/informative/intellectual/stimulating post I am about to find !!!

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Vamos al Final!

The "FIFA Dream Match" between two of the FIFA favorites is NOT happening this year. Enter Croatia!

Final Game: France vs Croatia

Croatia continues with her “Sueño de Campeones” . . . Good luck to YOUR team.

. . . . "competing not for glory but for honor . . ."

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I relate to... long weird conversations where we bare our souls, chocolate in any form, talking to animals, humongous cafe con leches, and nerdy wardrobe choices. Unfortunately I was never able to stay up late, or go to bookstores (never saw one and I don't speak or read Spanish). :)

Camino(s) past & future
The good thing is that I was able to find my large bar of chocolate every evening during my camino. Had the bar a la ready on the upper compartment of my backpack during my walk. Life is good (and with a large bar of chocolate it is really good).
Me too! Love those giant chocolate bars, kept in the top zipper of my pack...easy access. I like mine with nuts!

Camino(s) past & future
This is the NOT A REVISION TEST.
Seriously (no!), I meandered back to page one. I didn't even get to the end... and look, the seeds of irrelevance/irreverence are there from the start!
Who first mentioned socks? red? elephants?
Thanks once more to every contributor.
Seriously. there surely are days, usually in winter, depending on your hemisphere and latitude (Listening, nycwalking?) when it is nice to spend a few hours with a cup of tea or beverage of choice, scrolling up and down...
Happy Sunday everyone.

I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
Cheers for starting this thread....
What really has me worried is that after you decided whether to fleece or not to fleece, and you finally got the right shoes and you MADE it, well then you return to the abyss of everyday life. And need even more counseling.
You shouldn't be here....you should be OUT THERE....walking!!!!!!
Has anyone talked about socks lately?
The best socks are rainbow socks. Composition and construction are irrelevant. Bright sunny happy colours make everyone smile, forget the blisters.
Red. Definitely red. They don't get lost. Socks.
Similarly take 3 sleeping bags, that way if it DOES turn cold you can be the saviour of two other pilgrims or even three if you want to make a sacrifice . . .
Who cares , it's all about the color.
The gentleman in the picture below has graciously agreed to host a lecture on 'The art of Minimalism.'
Phone Booths?...I am really dating myself!
This has been my favorite thread! Love it!
Calm down dear, it's just a camino. (NOT a serious comment )
And btw we always need @dougfitz! Every forum needs a @dougfitz !!!
This thread is reminding me of those elephant jokes that I found so hilarious when I was a kid.
If you throw a red stone into the blue sea what will it become?

The good thing is that I was able to find my large bar of chocolate every evening during my camino. Had the bar a la ready on the upper compartment of my backpack during my walk. Life is good (and with a large bar of chocolate it is really good).
Me too! Love those giant chocolate bars, kept in the top zipper of my pack...easy access. I like mine with nuts!
Winter caminos? ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Camino(s) past & future
@Peter Fransiscus

Yesterday I noticed that there hadn’t been a single post by you on this whole page!
Missed you .......
Me, too, I miss our "reguler" contributers when they take a break, but sometimes "life happens" and we have to step away for awhile. Nice to see Peter here...seriously!

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Me, too, I miss our "reguler" contributers when they take a break, but sometimes "life happens" and we have to step away for awhile. Nice to see Peter here...seriously!
For me the summer holidays are so busy at work. Lots of colleagues on holidays so lots of extra work for me.
I do enjoy reading the recent posts though.

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Dear friends,

@Peter Fransiscus asked me to write this for you.
He is for the moment in good care in hospital. He had a bit of a healthscare to say the least.The doctors already performed in a short time a lot of tests and luckily those were ok! So to exclude very bad scenarios.
Now more rest and monitoring for him.
To those who pray : pray for him.
I know I will light a candle.

I am positive that we will see him pop in here soon....

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
I will seriously hope for a speedy recovery of whatever is ailing Peter, and that he is back here ASAP. We need his clever comments (and pictures) that so often make us laugh. It's not quite the same without his humor!
Get well, Peter!
Chris

All blesings to you, Peter - may you be comfortable and at ease, and get well very soon.

(OK everyone. It is our job to have something clever and funny here so that it keeps him laughing when he visits...we can do this.
Ummmmmmmmmm....:rolleyes:....)
With you on this @VNwalking ....
I was wondering how we could lift him with laughter :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
A motorcycle cop was rushed to the hospital with an inflamed appendix.

The doctors operated and advised him that all was well. However, the patrolman kept feeling something pulling at the hairs on his chest. Worried that it might be a second surgery the doctors hadn't told him about, he finally got enough energy to pull his hospital gown down enough so he could look at what was making him so uncomfortable.

Taped firmly across his hairy chest were three wide strips of adhesive tape, the ultra sticky kind. Written in large black letters was the sentence, "Get well soon! Luv, from the nurse you gave a ticket to last week!"

I hope you are back on the road soon Peter.

Edit: And be good to the nurses.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
All blesings to you, Peter - may you be comfortable and at ease, and get well very soon.

(OK everyone. It is our job to have something clever and funny here so that it keeps him laughing when he visits...we can do this.
Ummmmmmmmmm....:rolleyes:....)
Well done to you, vnwalking! A lovely lot of laughs, not just for Peter F! Thanks to everyone for your creative contributions.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%