VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
This conversation is now on The Road to Three Hundred [replies, that is].
Well, if I keep blathering on about elephants and giraffes (and lions and tigers and bears, oh, my...), it will be my personal road to 3100, which is a shocking number. :eek:
(But seriously...the silliness here is helping me to keep a balanced perspective. The world's a sobering place right now, so thanks everyone!)

Now, about those giraffes...

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Well, if I keep blathering on about elephants and giraffes (and lions and tigers and bears, oh, my...), it will be my personal road to 3100, which is a shocking number. :eek:
(But seriously...the silliness here is helping me to keep a balanced perspective. The world's a sobering place right now, so thanks everyone!)

Now, about those giraffes...
This insane thread is keeping me sane right about now.

If giraffes wear Nike running shoes on spring/summer/fall caminos, as do I, they'll never need either red socks or compeed.

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my; I need a new wardrobe! Oops, mixed silliness. Oz meets C.S. Lewis.

Ahhhs

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
Tss Compeed is not needed if you wear red socks.... The giraffe says....
And the giraffe knows :cool:
A3D41FAA-E482-4156-9D62-8C442C661BBE.jpeg
Apparently the word is out on the Camino. Everyone is doing it.
Life can be very serious but it’s always better when wearing red socks.

(This thread IS about socks, right?)

Advertisment

Sailor

Lifetime Membership Cardholder
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2017) Frances (2018)
Now, seriously, ladies and gents, on the tiger thing. I was going to buy some, but then I read the warning from drugs dot com: "Do not use on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, irritated, or broken skin. Do not cover treated skin with a bandage or expose it to heat from a hot tub, heating pad, or sauna." Some [and at times all] of them are applicable [to me] after my workouts. And now we resume normal programming with the non serious conversation. Have a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
View attachment 37591
Apparently the word is out on the Camino. Everyone is doing it.
Life can be very serious but it’s always better when wearing red socks.

Yes it is I think .
It's a bit confusing some times.
15123230752571285806775.png
This guy is dressed for his Camino,with red socks of course. :cool:

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2018: 'Via Lemovicensis or maybe Via Francigena, again....
View attachment 37591

Having re-read it from the start (now, that's dedication!) in order to answer your very serious question, which deserves a very serious answer....
I can honestly say.....
Err....
Hmmm...

I am not exactly sure! :D

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Having re-read it from the start (now, that's dedication!) in order to answer your very serious question, which deserves a very serious answer....
I can honestly say.....
Err....
Hmmm...

I am not exactly sure! :D

This could be the essence...not Domigee? This and red socks...and wisdom.

Attachments

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
That's OK. If you can't read a map then why should you take an atlas on a camino?
Because, while dyeing my socks red in vino tinto, I can peruse the atlas. I can learn longitude and latitude to help girrafetine ambulate from Africa to Torres del Rio safely.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Last edited:

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thinking about it, it is better to prevent than heal. You could adopt the Universal Survival Strategy and you'll always stay clear of trouble (also works for elephants):

View attachment 37620
Looks good but...
Actually now I sort of understand it , it IS good! :D

Last edited:

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
But that did not bring me back my elephant....
Well, thank you for the socks. What a relief.
I tell you, @domigee, go to Leon! Even if it turns out she isn't there galavanting in the treetops with Mabel, you'll feel a whole lot better. And if they're not there...maybe they went to Santiago? Look for big footprints at O'Cebreiro, and beyond...

Ahhhs

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
The elephant is on the run with the giraffe being chased by the hospitalero after they tried to take the top bunks in the albergue.

It wasn’t pretty.

kirkie

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
The elephant is on the run with the giraffe being chased by the hospitalero after they tried to take the top bunks in the albergue.

It wasn’t pretty.
How I enjoy the humorous imagination of so many of you! For a short time at the start of my teaching life it was my pleasure to teach children and one of the tasks to develop a range of skills was eg: choose an item in the fridge, describe its life. I felt like a fraud, as my own imagination was not developed along those lines!

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
It wasn’t pretty.
Yeah, especially the part when they tried to steal the Jacotrans van to make a fast getaway, and the elephant accidentally squashed it trying to get in the front door.
I hope your insurance is up to date, @domigee.:eek::p

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
image.jpg
Yeah, especially the part when they tried to steal the Jacotrans van to make a fast getaway, and the elephant accidentally squashed it trying to get in the front door.
I hope your insurance is up to date, @domigee.:eek::p
Eek! :eek: But must have been @stgcph's naughty elephant...I've just found mine! Hiding behind books on a high shelf, would you believe! Tss
Oh I am so happy :cool::D
But he's lost his red socks.... And he looks a bit hang-overed :confused:

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
This poor little fellow [elephant] looks like he may be terribly caught up in the bed race; he is going way too fast. Perhaps @Bradypus should have a word or two with him - to wise him up a bit.

Nah, he's trying to catch up with the van people, they've got several of his mates and the giraffe! And his rucksack! :D

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
To walk the camino, you need an elephant, a giraffe and....red socks :D
They can pick you up and place you on your elephant.
Not to mention delivering your cafe con leche.
And if you need red socks, maybe a very generous hospi will give you the ones she just bought at Decathlon.
That's how I got mine.
:):):)

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So do we all agree? To walk the camino, you need an elephant, a giraffe and....red socks :D If you forget your giraffe, one can be bought locally...
Yes, you must have all the above to walk camino. I think I may volunteer as hospitalera again. If so, I'll run a side business selling giraffes donned with red socks.

If pilgrims wish to have their red socks match their giraffes; they must supply vino tinto and white socks. Dyeing socks takes a full 24 hours. Thereby, pilgrims will also have to double as hospies until socks are ready.

Oh, and the fee for this service is donativo. Operative word "donativo" not free.

Gosh, I forgot. The albergue at which I'll volunteer will charge an elephant storage fee. Price varies.

If we hospies, we because you usually volunteer with others, suspect pilgrims are turigrinos the storage cost is cheaper than for "genuine" pilgrims. As the cast member in "The Way" said: pilgrims must suffer.

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Yes, you must have all the above to walk camino. I think I may volunteer as hospitalera again. If so, I'll run a side business selling giraffes donned with red socks.

If pilgrims wish to have their red socks match their giraffes; they must supply vino tinto and white socks. Dyeing socks takes a full 24 hours. Thereby, pilgrims will also have to double as hospies until socks are ready.

Oh, and the fee for this service is donativo. Operative word "donativo" not free.

Gosh, I forgot. The albergue at which I'll volunteer will charge an elephant storage fee. Price varies.

If we hospies, we because you usually volunteer with others, suspect pilgrims are turigrinos the storage cost is cheaper than for "genuine" pilgrims. As the cast member in "The Way" said: pilgrims must suffer.
Expand this service to other albergue's and make some extra money on the side . It's hard work to accomodate elephant's .:D:D

stgcph

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Aug/Sep 2017)
So do we all agree? To walk the camino, you need an elephant, a giraffe and....red socks :D If you forget your giraffe, one can be bought locally...
This has been a long and difficult quest and many have been the views and opinions, but I believe this sums it up quite nicely.

Nevertheless, if you are the type of person that like to play it safe and cater for all eventualities, I suggest that you also bring your favorite moose, especially on winter caminoes. Furthermore, they are such jolly company.

Crazy moose.png

Merry Christmas :D

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I suggest that you also bring your favorite moose, especially on winter caminoes. Furthermore, they are such jolly company.
Winter caminos definitely require that you bring a merry kiss moose.

But, as I mentioned early, Australians are cross-breeding horses and kangaroos. Now I hear that they are crossing elephants with kangaroos. These are NOT meant for camino use. They leave big holes all along the way making things nasty for fellow walkers.

BTW, do you know what you get if you cross the Atlantic Ocean with the Titanic? Answer here

It's

Merry kiss moose everyone.

stgcph

Camino(s) past & future
Now I hear that they are crossing elephants with kangaroos. These are NOT meant for camino use. They leave big holes all along the way making things nasty for fellow walkers.
The rumor is, that the government in my country is currently assessing if they can be used instead of steamrollers to the benefit of the environment…

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
The rumor is, that the government in my country is currently assessing if they can be used instead of steamrollers to the benefit of the environment…
We've got to be strong and each one of us bring a moose!!! To prove....err... something!
Thing is, how much does a moose weigh and can he borrow the elephant's red socks in case of rain?
Oh, and Merry Christmas to all of you too :D

Last edited:

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Hmmm, just looking at this thread for the first time and its hilarious! Why did I wait so long?...now it's as long as a book with 270 comments and I can't take the time to read them all. I'm sure I would push the "like" button 270 times. :)

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hmmm, just looking at this thread for the first time and its hilarious! Why did I wait so long?...now it's as long as a book with 270 comments and I can't take the time to read them all. I'm sure I would push the "like" button 270 times. :)
Camino Chris, you took so long because you were busy pondering answers to serious questions.

She is wearing a gray wrinkled skirt elephants have skin like that. OMGoodness a camino elephant....

Had to edit post. It just was not filled with enough giraffes.

Last edited:

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Camino Chris, you took so long because you were busy pondering answers to serious questions.

I do not normally peruse camino pages whilst sitting in church awaiting service to commence. But, since a butt was parked on top of me via a skirt wearing saint/sinner who proffered an apology. But, she really wanted more room for her and her friend. Well, I decided since this is the "candlelight" once-a-year service, I can ... or....

Also, she is wearing a gray wrinkled skirt. Don't elephants have skin like that. OMGoodness, my camino elephant is sitting right beside me in church.
Is the elephant wearing a skirt that is sitting next to you in church also wearing red socks?

Last edited:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Honestly, I just heard on the local news that herds of elephants and giraffes are running down Boylston Street in Boston. And they can't be following the yellow arrows.

The co-host of the show was just joking by adding one more crazy event to the ones we have been suffering.
They are following the yellow brick road.

stgcph

Camino(s) past & future
Ancedotally, on the camino, permethrin treated sleeping bags have been found effective against the bites of elephants, giraffes and moose. Not one case has been reported.
Reminds me of the story of this old guy walking around on the city square of Copenhagen dragging an empty beer bottle along on the ground by a string. Somebody asked him why he was doing that and he replied: ‘To keep the lions away’. Said the other one: ‘But there are no lions here!’ and the old guy answered with a sly smile: ‘There you see – it works!’

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Reminds me of the story of this old guy walking around on the city square of Copenhagen dragging an empty beer bottle along on the ground by a string. Somebody asked him why he was doing that and he replied: ‘To keep the lions away’. Said the other one: ‘But there are no lions here!’ and the old guy answered with a sly smile: ‘There you see – it works!’
:D:D:D

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Great humour, keep it rolling!
On my first camino my mom went with. She took a rolling backpack. Pack was ditched at baby bridge just beyond Roncesvalles on way to Larrasoana.

Thank goodness a few camino meeses, geeses, and giffareeses, offered to carry her elephantine stuff amongst themselves.

Camino provided: except for the red socks.

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Thinking of all the animals on this thread: Peg and I have a number of plush animals as souvenirs of trips. Only about half were bought on the trip itself. I found this guy two and a half years late. Peg got it for Christmas.
pulpo.png
We didn't see any live ones on camino but we sure enjoyed the dead ones we came upon.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I am really, really upset. On the "On to Bigger Things" thread it is stated: a donkey is required if one only walks from Sarria to Santiago. But, I betcha you'll need long ears starting in SJPP as well. Darn! I was so upset I misread thread title. It is: "Big changes are coming".

I already have the red socks, red sock dyeing business, elephant, moose, and giraffe. Now, I need a donkey as well. This lastest requirement is asinine!

Last edited:

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
I am really, really upset. On the "On to Bigger Things" thread it is stated: a donkey is required if one only walks from Sarria to Santiago. But, I betcha you'll need long ears starting in SJPP as well. Darn!

I already have the red socks, red sock dyeing business, elephant, moose, and giraffe. Now, I need a donkey as well. This lastest requirement is asinine!
Reading the small print, I think you're in the clear, @nycwalking . That's my assessment, anyway.:)

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I've looked at camino from both sides now, from moose and geese and still somehow, it's giraffes illusion I recall. I really don't know elephantine red-sock camino at all.

Just want to top 300 hundred. Then....

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I've looked at camino from both sides now, from moose and geese and still somehow, it's giraffes illusion I recall. I really don't know elephantine red-sock camino at all.

Just want to top 300 hundred. Then....
I have always loved that song, and your rendition is quite clever!

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • April

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • May

Votes: 57 23.2%
  • June