A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

NOT a serious thread

Apropos of nothing...
Voting for Joan Baez.
Oh ... VN ... perfect!!!

Thank you for finding such a wonderful performance by two such fine women :)
Anything Joan Baez does has integrity, courage and peace within it.
And her voice!!!

Donna was the first folk song I ever sang, when I was about 14 (and thereafter) ... around fires, on bedsit floors, anywhere there were friends and a guitar or two ... all those lovely open vowels :) Silver Dagger and Black is the Colour, too.
I sang her songs to and with our children .. and with many others too :)

I thought you might like this short video of her singing with her sister, Mimi Farina, in Sing Sing. (Mimi is on the second song.)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
thank you so much for the translation of those lovely lyrical words ..
I had never heard/seen this recording ... I just loved it ... and will listen again and again and again ..... :)
You're welcome!
About the recording - me neither. I stumbled on it quite by chance - and am ashamed to say I had never heard of Mercedes before.
It's the perfect camino theme song, to get us through those rough patches. (Good for learning a bit of Spanish, too...:cool:)

You're welcome!
About the recording - me neither. I stumbled on it quite by chance - and am ashamed to say I had never heard of Mercedes before.
It's the perfect camino theme song, to get us through those rough patches. (Good for learning a bit of Spanish, too...:cool:)
It is ... such a perfect camino song ...

I had never heard of her either ... to my shame ...
Singing along, with songs in a language other than my native one, (even if I often don’t understand the words :D ) really helps with learning an accent too ;)

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
And the version of Baez and Sosa is better than the original imho from Parra.

@VNwalking : those lyrics were used by our teacher at the Spanish adult evening class. Think he needed some distraction from our meagre attempts of Spanish conversation...
The other song he presented us was by Luz Casal and Piensa en mi but I did prefer Gracias a la Vida.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Yep knew that one, Port Over Starboard Home!

Davey
Yep knew that one, Port Over Starboard Home!

Davey
I really ought to have referred to the origin rather than the meaning. Without resorting to dear old google, I think it was the class of ticket for delicate English ladies travelling to the Indies... to avoid the danger of sunburn on their fair skins...

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
I really ought to have referred to the origin rather than the meaning. Without resorting to dear old google, I think it was the class of ticket for delicate English ladies travelling to the Indies... to avoid the danger of sunburn on their fair skins...
Yes the most expensive tickets to India always had a cabin on the shady side of the ship. Port Over Starboard Home. Only the truly well off could afford them and the expression POSH stuck.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
Another word related thing that made me smile while walking the Le Puy route. I heard French pilgrims one day giggling and saying 'today we are walking to my ass'. Turns out it is a running joke in France that the town of Montcucq (nice place by the way) is pronounced in French the same as Mon Cul which does actually mean 'my ass'.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
As ever, always something new here for me! She is about three months older than me. has she ever heard of me? Doubt it. Well, this is the first time I have heard of her! Thanks, Sabine, I loved it. Near where I live, with all the Progress, the Money, the Coffee Angel stands, the Calatrave bridges: I am fond of saying - tongue in cheek - it is all for the beautiful people. The beautiful people? Stand up, everyone!
Honestly? The woman was 7th of the opening acts at Woodstock for Pete's sake! Generation X . . . the death of popular culture ;)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Single men come down with nowomanmanflu. The complications are as dire as the name.
Ah, but what about "No Woman, No Cry"?

They have these incredibly decorated buses on Malta often with shrines around the driver's seat:

1535040934353.png

1535040446053.png

One had a plaque which read "No Woman, No Cry"

"That's very true" said my diving buddy Andy.

"What is?" (Me)

"No Woman, No Cry"

"Ah, Bob Marley!"

"Who's Bob Marley?"

"Andy?"

"Yes, Jeff?"

"if you get into trouble on the next dive . . . "

"Yes, Jeff?"

"Don't expect me to rescue you . . . . "

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Ah, but what about "No Woman, No Cry"?

They have these incredibly decorated buses on Malta often with shrines around the driver's seat:

View attachment 45694

View attachment 45693

One had a plaque which read "No Woman, No Cry"

"That's very true" said my diving buddy Andy.

"What is?" (Me)

"No Woman, No Cry"

"Ah, Bob Marley!"

"Who's Bob Marley?"

"Andy?"

"Yes, Jeff?"

"if you get into trouble on the next dive . . . "

"Yes, Jeff?"

"Don't expect me to rescue you . . . . "
That song reminds me of my initial introduction into the root matter of living.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Women have “bird flu” a minor strain of man flu!
Daughter No1 was down for an extended weekend last weekend (she took me for a cream tea on a steam train!) and remarked that her mother had had a summer cold.

"Oh"

"Yes. Isn't it funny how, when YOU have a cold it's 48hrs long, you sleep a lot and have lots to drink?"

"Yes"

"Whereas when Mummy has a cold . . . "

"It's read to me; I'm lonely, come and talk to me; I want egg-in-a-cup (chopped up soft boiled egg with buttered wholemeal bread); nobody knows how awful I feel; I need a drink; well if you have to go out . . . ; well, you could have at least brought me back some chocolate . . . "

"I sometimes forget how long you two were married" ;)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Honestly? The woman was 7th of the opening acts at Woodstock for Pete's sake! Generation X . . . the death of popular culture ;)
And at that very moment... yours truly crossed the Irish Sea and lost touch with ‘the world’. For a wee while....that’s my excuse.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
And at that very moment... yours truly crossed the Irish Sea and lost touch with ‘the world’. For a wee while....that’s my excuse.
Tempted by the bright lights/social revolution/Carnaby St?
Tempted by the clean air and rolling hills as well as the fresh face complexion of the Colleens

(delete as applicable) ;)

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Oh, I’ve got another one! What is like a parrot and orange? :p (Courtesy of my Camino fellows:rolleyes::D).
As you can witness, we had profound discussions....

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
Was thinking....sometimes this thread is like Chocolat and chocolate! Ones a film and the other a necessary dietary supplement to be taken hourly! You think that you have the thing by the coat tails and someone comes along and changes their clothes depending on the weather!
Talking of Chocolat...must go onto YouTube and get a fix of Django...I feel my “mood swinging” :):)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
And good night from this side of the hemisphere. Talk tomorrow? Xxx
Going to bed laughing!
Me too if I can get up the stairs. Kicked some furniture and trying to decide whether my foot is badly bruised or it's broken toe(s).
At least I'm not on the Camino!
To quote Ed Murrow: "Good Night and Good Luck"

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Just got here.
I was going to say 'something political' but it is only a...carrot.
It is... indeed... a carrot.
WE HAVE A WINNER.
A carrot???
It may be one of those things where you had to be there.;)

I hope your foot is OK, @Jeff Crawley !
Take care everyone...this could be any of us.........

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
And good night from this side of the hemisphere. Talk tomorrow? Xxx
Going to bed laughing!
In order to keep on track with this thread, I am officially changing my schedule. I am pushing my day forward by six hours. This way when you all sign off for the night, around 3:30/4:00pm my time, I too can bed down for the night.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
In order to keep on track with this thread, I am officially changing my schedule. I am pushing my day forward by six hours. This way when you all sign off for the night, around 3:30/4:00pm my time, I too can bed down for the night.
Hahahaha!
:D

Sadly, here is always going to by out of sync with there, no matter what we do to try to avoid that.
And there are so many theres....
Sigh.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
What about the furniture? No damage there I hope!
Not a scratch on it! I think it was a case of "muscle memory" failure - my foot hadn't learned about the changed room layout yet.
Nothing broken - had an x-ray this morning - but a bruise the size of a 50p (US half dollar) behind swollen toe no.4
Told the radiographer it was a haema-toe-ma - she didn't get the joke.
Now hobbling around on a stick (which I keep dropping) and thankful I'm not out on the Camino at present.
Have a good weekend everybody and watch your step!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
haema-toe-ma - she didn't get the joke.
But we do, having lots of practice here in thinking sideways.
May you heal quickly and well, Jeff: I'm glad it is not camino arm-ageddon! :cool:
To stay sound...but also because with all the animals around here, you never know what you might step in.

Not a scratch on it! I think it was a case of "muscle memory" failure - my foot hadn't learned about the changed room layout yet.
Nothing broken - had an x-ray this morning - but a bruise the size of a 50p (US half dollar) behind swollen toe no.4
Told the radiographer it was a haema-toe-ma - she didn't get the joke.
Now hobbling around on a stick (which I keep dropping) and thankful I'm not out on the Camino at present.
Don’t you hate it when that happens?
The room looks great but you keep walking into things ... :rolleyes:
Look after your toesies, Jeff ... you’ll need them to walk ...
... and remember where you left that stick! ;)
(what you really need is a pole, with a wrist strap!)

But we do, having lots of practice here in thinking sideways.
May you heal quickly and well, Jeff: I'm glad it is not camino arm-ageddon! :cool:
To stay sound...but also because with all the animals around here, you never know what you might step in.

:D
Glad to see the brain-numbing monotony of unending rain on the roof hasn’t hampered your sideways thinking, VN! :cool:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%