A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
So. Once we have past 300, we're supposed to get serious again?
Sorry, no can do.

But we may have to let the menagerie go and start laughing at ourselves.
That topic is potentially bottomless.
(Well, speaking for myself only of course.)
:D

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Sinfin
Congratulations, another milestone, see you at the 400 intersection. Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
another milestone, see you at the 400 intersection
So to do that we have to keep walking this out.
Shall we return to where we began and see the place for the first time?:

But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?
I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)
Now Domigee take a deep breath...inhale and exhale...
The wise Camino doctors and nurses are here. Free consultancy is available.:D
And yes btw how many Caminos did YOU combine...come on : confess, you know you want to...;)
Btw why not organising our own tour? And people who want to join have to enter a silly Q&A to get allowed in...:)
What really has me worried is that after you decided whether to fleece or not to fleece, and you finally got the right shoes and you MADE it, well then you return to the abyss of everyday life. And need even more counseling.
Somehow that just doesn't seem fair.
No, @domigee, you are not in the wrong forum. Not at all.
Because as Sabine says, free consultancy is available: call it co-counseling, perhaps.
And unfortunately we all have to get much more sick of being addicted before we can let all of this go. Especially the red socks on giraffes.
The 'abyss of everyday life' is made a lot saner thanks to the lightness...thanks everyone!!!

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x3), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham.
2018? Vf again or Via Lemovicensis
Yup, I felt the need to visit this thread again.... Too many other threads about starting a Camino and .... I still have to wait! Aaaarrrghghghgh. :D
Impatient, moi?
I may start knitting red socks :confused::D

Incidentally, do you remember who mentioned red socks first??? I do :cool::p

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Yup, I'm chuckling too!
The culprit's name starts with....K :p

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Is it my eyes or did something change around here in the last day?
I can't find my red socks. Or any socks.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
An unrelated giggle:
High-five, everyone! It seems we have been successful in totally confusing the system.
There is a new (and very nifty) forum gizmo that tells you at the end of the thread what similar threads may be out there to explore.
But I don't think the algorithm is up to red socks, giraffes, and elephants.
Hee heeeeeeeeeeeee...

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF011, CF012, CP013, CF014, CA015, S.Anton015, CF015, CI015
Ditch Pig016, CF017, CP017, CdN(018)
This sounds like a drunken conversation at Orrison between a group of pilgrims who have just met for the first time at dinner before their long walk westward. The way Domigee started the thread, I saw it going towards our favorite pet peeves. Mine has always been the question about making reservations at said refuge. I wish Ivar could add a tool to the new site that immediately directs posters to previous thread which will help answer their questions.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
This sounds like a drunken conversation at Orrison between a group of pilgrims who have just met for the first time at dinner before their long walk westward. The way Domigee started the thread, I saw it going towards our favorite pet peeves. Mine has always been the question about making reservations at said refuge. I wish Ivar could add a tool to the new site that immediately directs posters to previous thread which will help answer their questions.
I don't have any pets just peeves, and too many to enumerate here.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Oh yesssss! Lol
And I am ignoring the bit about 'drunken conversation'... Perish the thought ;):)

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
It has happened again! Giraffe in bar! Be careful out there.... (just can't let this thread die :p)

View attachment 39012
Just got off phone with IRS; 38 minutes and nothing accomplished. And, I mean nothing!

That is one reason this light-hearted thread can not die.

Um, not to malign animals but maybe IRS call center is staffed by them. Though not by elephants.

Last edited:

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Eeek! I thought they'd always be visible by their red socks (except when hiding in cherry trees, of course).
In cherry trees theyjust need red nail varnish :D

As we all do. We neeeeed red nail varnish to walk the Camino. :cool: And the giraffes may think they're above us but I'm sorry, they need it too.

kirkie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
A giraffe has a black tongue twenty-seven inches long and no vocal cords. A giraffe has nothing to say. He just goes on giraffing.
Ok, not so funny, but it might spur on another round of posts from the wits among us.

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
A giraffe has a black tongue twenty-seven inches long and no vocal cords. A giraffe has nothing to say. He just goes on giraffing.
Ok, not so funny, but it might spur on another round of posts from the wits among us.
Po

(Half of a post by a half-wit with nothing to say either.)

Last edited:

Duayne Meyer

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, April, 2016
Frances: SJPP to Ponferrada April & October, 2017
Chemin du Puy April, 2018
The gentleman in the picture below has graciously agreed to host a lecture on 'The art of Minimalism.' He is also giving out some practical information on the art of packing light. Other areas to be covered are the beauty of 115L back packs. Space is limited, who will be signing up? But as you can see he arrived in Santiago, who am I to judge? View attachment 37439
I wonder if he may be STARTING in Santiago.

But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?
I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)
Get serious. Lost socks pants on Camino. I found a pair of glasses on VDLP last year in middle of very muddy crossing. I poked around in mud with walking pole but found no body. Still worried in case somebody still out there lost

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Did I lie? Moi? Lie?
Not to worry, kirkie. It's only a lie if it's intentional deception. Otherwise it's just a mistake.
Or overactive imagination, which we all seem to be prone to around here.
The safari theme seems to be running dry; surely there are other things to giggle about, but I'm feeling half-witted, too. Or perhaps just too serious.
@as gaillimh 's post, though...definitely on the right track.

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15 & 16 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo (Sept.)
I wonder if he may be STARTING in Santiago.
Duayne, no we saw this gentlemen on a few days while on the Portuguese Camino this year. He was a total bull. Huffing like a steam engine on the hills, but at a good pace. I would guess his pack weight was in excess of 50 lbs.

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
My drawer of red socks.

View attachment 39320

As I now wear sandals I need to find an elephant. But the pink gloves still come with me on camino.
Wow...You really have all those red socks? And we thought the many red sock comments were "tongue in cheek" and NOT serious! You have trumped this thread! Way to go! :) :)

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
On another thread, some people are searching for a quorum. Anybody come across one? With or without socks, and any colour at all...all help appreciated.
They will have a problem finding it . In my opinion impossible , because ...
The definition of quorum is - the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of tha.

It has nothing to do with socks what so ever

Good luck with searching for the quorum o_O

Kate Allenger

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Walking the Camino Frances August 29 2018!!
OK......so, as a newbie, planning on starting my walk in late August, I have a few questions......
1. Have you all walked the Camino? If so, were you all like this before, or did this scillyness or stoopidness start after the walk?
2. I'm panicking enough about what to pack, and now I have to think about the color of my socks? And what socks? I thought this was a barefoot kind of thing.
3. Wait, what......elephants??? I have already purchased my back pack and it's for Zebras - not elephants - no one told me!!

kirkie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
They will have a problem finding it . In my opinion impossible , because ...
The definition of quorum is - the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of tha.

It has nothing to do with socks what so ever

Good luck with searching for the quorum o_O
AW!!! And there I was sure that Peter Fransiscus would be out with a search party already.

kirkie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
OK......so, as a newbie, planning on starting my walk in late August, I have a few questions......
1. Have you all walked the Camino? If so, were you all like this before, or did this scillyness or stoopidness start after the walk?
2. I'm panicking enough about what to pack, and now I have to think about the color of my socks? And what socks? I thought this was a barefoot kind of thing.
3. Wait, what......elephants??? I have already purchased my back pack and it's for Zebras - not elephants - no one told me!!
Well done, Kate, looks like you will have a wonderful camino. Ask stgcph if he has patented his quorum badge, and are they for sale yet. I’d say you’d like that on your backpack.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Socks are a deeply personal issue, a decision each one of us must make for him or herself. Not just once, but twice. (Unless, of course, you are Differently Footed).
Talking about, asking for, or offering advice on socks just leads to people making judgements, and that is something that is Just Not Done Here. Soon we´re all questioning our fundamental authenticity.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
ahh ...did not get any notifications anymore for this thread...
FOMO !!!!!

BTW do you think giraffes suffer from FOMO???;)

And in Leuven there is a friterie aka chipshop called the Giraffe...:cool:

View attachment 39370
Ooooh a FOMO sounds fun. I want a FOMO.
I NEED a FOMO as I only have one pair of red socks.... :)

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

stgcph

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Aug/Sep 2017)
I understand your concerns – you are in deep water in this thread, but anyone with the guts to step in is welcome. To answer your questions:

1. Always. But got worse (or better?) after I joined this forum and specifically this thread.
2. You’re wrong. Red socks required.
3. Get yourself new counsellors.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Socks are a deeply personal issue, a decision each one of us must make for him or herself. Not just once, but twice. (Unless, of course, you are Differently Footed).
Talking about, asking for, or offering advice on socks just leads to people making judgements, and that is something that is Just Not Done Here. Soon we´re all questioning our fundamental authenticity.
No no, here we just tell pilgrims what they have to have to be proper pilgrims. There is no other way. ;);)

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Silliness, stoopidity: What?

This thread is perfectly serious. Seriously.

Remember to bring red socks. And Zebras are allowed only at parochial albergues. You are lucky this year had a blue moon. Otherwise, Zebras would not be welcomed at all.

Buen camino.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I understand your concerns – you are in deep water in this thread, but anyone with the guts to step in is welcome. To answer your questions:

1. Always. But got worse (or better?) after I joined this forum and specifically this thread.
Yes, welcome @Kate Allenger. Actually, this is what happens when one is NOT walking a Camino :rolleyes:;)
When we're 'peregrining, we're really serious. ;)
Btw I agree with all the above response.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future

Remember to bring red socks. And Zebras are allowed only at parochial albergues. You are lucky this year had a blue moon. Otherwise, Zebras would not be welcomed at all.

Buen camino.
Absolutely. :cool: Although there is still some uncertainty about the Zebra rule ...:confused:
But as long as you have a (good) hairdryer you're OK (to dry the nail varnish.... Not everyone has an adequate supply of red socks :()

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015

Buen camino.
OMG! I never thought of that. If you walk with red socks at night under a blue moon will you get marooned?

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Oooh, like it, now we need a badge 'we're peregrinning!' :D

I hope one of our members is good with photoshopping! Would be fab.:p

BTW with the grinning I was thinking of the smiling Daniel at the Portico de Gloria at SdC cathedral...
But of course he is grinning..who wouldn't be when he sees all those giraffes with red socks coming towards the cathedral.

Attachments

Kate Allenger

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

Buen camino.
Phew, thanks for the reassurance, don't know what I would have done with them if I couldn't bring them with me. I'll get them some red socks too!

Kate Allenger

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

But, my zebras are my counsellors - do I really need new ones?

kirkie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future

Buen camino.
I heard you. Now see what you've done! Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 21.21.18.png

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
First, it's gnus and, second, yes, you need knowing gnus as counsellors.
Oh that reminds me of the absurd song by Belgian Hugo Mathijsen where he sings about an old gnu...who is ,well basically old and tired. Guess only Peter will understand the lyrics...;) Very catchy song...

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.7%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.1%
  • May

Votes: 129 27.4%
  • June