A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

NOT a serious thread

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Oh no Jeff....all I can think of now is The Italian Job again! I have a plan (or at least Rick has!)
There have been many "solutions" to the problem but this one sounds the most practical:

From John Godwin of Surrey: Break and remove two large side windows just aft of the pivot point and let the glass fall outside to lose its weight. Break two windows over the two front axles; keep the broken glass on board to keep its weight for balance. Let a man out on a rope through the front broken windows (not to rest his weight on the ground) and he deflates all the bus's front tyres, to reduce the bus's rocking movement about its pivot point. Drain the fuel tank, which was aft of the pivot point by running the engine; that changes the balance enough to let a man get out and gather heavy rocks to load the front of the bus. Unload the bus. Wait until a suitable vehicle passes on the road, and hijack it and carry the gold away in it.

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
There have been many "solutions" to the problem but this one sounds the most practical:

From John Godwin of Surrey: Break and remove two large side windows just aft of the pivot point and let the glass fall outside to lose its weight. Break two windows over the two front axles; keep the broken glass on board to keep its weight for balance. Let a man out on a rope through the front broken windows (not to rest his weight on the ground) and he deflates all the bus's front tyres, to reduce the bus's rocking movement about its pivot point. Drain the fuel tank, which was aft of the pivot point by running the engine; that changes the balance enough to let a man get out and gather heavy rocks to load the front of the bus. Unload the bus. Wait until a suitable vehicle passes on the road, and hijack it and carry the gold away in it.
I was for blowing the b&&&6y doors off!

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

You lost me somewhere...

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
You lost me somwhere...
As Bristle Boy says the Italian Job, a 1969 film where they rob a gold shipment in Milan, escape by racing (original) Mini Coopers through the sewers, drive them onto a stripped out tourist coach and then, through over enthusiastic driving, end up as in the picture. The gold slides towards the rear and any attempt to retrieve it will send them plummeting into the gorge.
Imortalised by the earlier scene where they are practising braking into the gold van using explosives. They only succeed in blowing the van to smithereens and Michael Cain says "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
I suppose that would be my bus. But did you ever hear of a plane backing into a mountain?
I witnessed that and the mountain had obviously been too close and couldn't stop in time! ;)

Actually I did see a glider attempt a winch launch but the pilot released too soon, stalled and the glider slid gracefully backwards until it smashed its tail plane on the grass strip. No injuries but the walk of shame by the pilot to the accompaniment of a slow hand clap was a joy to behold!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
The film “The Italian Job” with Michael Caine.
The final scene where the coach is precariously balanced with the gold at one end and the men at the other!
I remember really liking that movie alot...but that's all I remember about it. :rolleyes:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
As Bristle Boy says the Italian Job, a 1969 film where they rob a gold shipment in Milan, escape by racing (original) Mini Coopers through the sewers, drive them onto a stripped out tourist coach and then, through over enthusiastic driving, end up as in the picture. The gold slides towards the rear and any attempt to retrieve it will send them plummeting into the gorge.
Imortalised by the earlier scene where they are practising braking into the gold van using explosives. They only succeed in blowing the van to smithereens and Michael Cain says "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
You and BB have great memories. I just googled the movie cuz I knew I didn't see it so long ago in 1969. I saw the remake in 2003 and I still remember nothing about it!

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
You and BB have great memories. I just googled the movie cuz I knew I didn't see it so long ago in 1969. I saw the remake in 2003 and I still remember nothing about it!
Hi Chris,
I have a feeling that if you can’t remember the remake you are on a winner! There is only the original and it is a very “British” film with a few “60’s” icons in it...and a few references to England’s only World Cup win!
P.S. memory of a goldfish!! :D

Last edited:

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Talking about drinks... I discovered a new one (to me) in Spain: Cardenal Mendoza.
A brandy. Wow :cool:
T’was for medicinal purposes on the Camino inglés, I had a bad sore throat. Worked a treat :D

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
I do! Got a son who can’t string a sentence together!....he’s grate!...His dad has difficulty sometimes...)

View attachment 47906
Daughter No 2 has dyslexia. Could have been a big problem if not caught in time - she was having problems learning to read (aged 6) and a so called "teacher" lost her temper and said she was stupid and would never learn.
Fortunately she went on to a great school and got the help she needed.
Roll forward 10 years and I call her to ask how her GCSE results were . . . she got 2 x B (one was English), 3 x A* and 6 x A - her only comment was "Do you remember Mrs Pettet? She was wrong wasn't she? I'm not stupid!" I could have cried.
She went on to get 3 x A grade A levels and a 2:1 in Archaeology, caught the acting bug and graduated from RADA
Makes you wonder how many slip through the net . . .

Attachments

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Daughter No 2 has dyslexia. Could have been a big problem if not caught in time - she was having problems learning to read (aged 6) and a so called "teacher" lost her temper and said she was stupid and would never learn.
Fortunately she went to a great school and got the help she needed.
Roll forward 10 years and I call her to ask how her GCSE results were . . . she got 2 x B (one was English), 3 x A* and 6 x A - her only comment was "Do you remember Mrs Pettet? She was wrong wasn't she? I'm not stupid!" I could have cried.
She went on to get 3 x A grade A levels and a 2:1 in Archaeology, caught the acting bug and graduated from RADA
Makes you wonder how many slip through the net . . .
Know the problem Jeff...seriously! What is taken with one hand is given with the other...and number 2 has it in absolute spades! Will probably never read a book (as we know it) but is so practical I am in absolute awe!!! I’m with him all the weigh! Good for your daughter!...it’s only a difficulty not a tragedy! I had a similar experience..in the educational field...and boy..did I stand up for him!!!

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Know the problem Jeff...seriously! What is taken with one hand is given with the other...and number 2 has it in absolute spades! Will probably never read a book (as we know it) but is so practical I am in absolute awe!!! I’m with him all the weigh! Good for your daughter!...it’s only a difficulty not a tragedy! I had a similar experience..in the educational field...and boy..did I stand up for him!!!
Read him that attachment - it did wonders for my Philippa who actually reads quite well all thanks to Asterix the Gaul (Me: "you can't read a comic book as a bedtime story" Her: "Fine, I'll read it myself!" and off she went!)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Who don't remember our frind the coyote .Famous of getting anvils on his head.
View attachment 47908
When I lived in Canada in the mid-1970s a guy I worked with had a Plymouth Road Runner that had been resprayed purple (it was the 70s!) but retained the original car horn which went "beep-beep"

1540206749347.png
he loved that car!

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I do! Got a son who can’t string a sentence together!....he’s grate!...His dad has difficulty sometimes...)

View attachment 47906
I nearly there.

Folks say often. How your mind works. Transpose numbers too often.
It’s I.

Who don't remember our frind the coyote .Famous of getting anvils on his head.
View attachment 47908
“Roadrunner the Coyote after you. Roadrunner if he catches you, you’re through.

I loved that cartoon.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
When I lived in Canada in the mid-1970s a guy I worked with had a Plymouth Road Runner that had been resprayed purple (it was the 70s!) but retained the original car horn which went "beep-beep"

View attachment 47914
he loved that car!
Briljant .:):)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
So, you are either younger than me, or a lot more savvy than me! Sorry. Simple translation: weight. Incidentally, the language of commerce in Scotland in times gone by was French... don’t ask me when. i just believed my teachers. There was a time when the authorities were obeyed and more or less they deserved it... hmm... nowadays... say no more. Stick to what is not serious. Like Sunshine on my shoulders. he always brings tears to my eyes with the quality of his voice.

Camino(s) past & future
Kirkie, I just googled "that word" as I've never heard of it before. Either you are smarter than me (probably so), or it could possibly be another of the language use differences between cultures on each side of the Atlantic.
P.S. I'm no longer considered young. ;)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Kirkie, I just googled "that word" as I've never heard of it before. Either you are smarter than me (probably so), or it could possibly be another of the language use differences between cultures on each side of the Atlantic.
whichever way, re culture, you are right, and thanks for keeping on calling it out! not fun to be exclusive/excluded...

Camino(s) past & future
whichever way, re culture, you are right, and thanks for keeping on calling it out! not fun to be exclusive/excluded...
You're not doing anything wrong! I just wait a bit and when the topic changes my understanding eventually returns and I can start "liking" or commenting again. :)

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
It was the English term for weights and measures too! When cooking I adopt the “dollop” system...a dollop of this and a smidgen of that! No wonder my cooking is rubbish!! :p

Camino(s) past & future
I knew you would appreciate my kindness hehe.
Meanwhile I will start knitting that red scarf and mittens for you. By winter 2020 they should be finished...
Hey, don't forget to knit him red socks, too, unless he already owns a pair.

Camino(s) past & future
It was the English term for weights and measures too! When cooking I adopt the “dollop” system...a dollop of this and a smidgen of that! No wonder my cooking is rubbish!! :p
I adopt the "cupped hand" system....I just shake the dried spices (or whatever) in my hand, eyeball it, then decide if it's close enough to said recipe and throw in the pot.
Disclaimer: This method will not work for liquid measurements. ;):D

Last edited:

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
I adopt the "cupped hand" system....I just shake the dried spices (or whatever) in my hand, eyeball it, then decide if it's close enough to said recipe and throw in the pot.
Disclaimer: This method will not work for liquid measurements. :oops:
Ha reminds me in a way of my student years when living in student quarters.
One of our housemates never had cleaned a house, or a room for that matter. So the first time she wanted to clean her room she did not have a clue.
We said to her : " Just throw some water and take your floormob '. So she threw the complete content of a bucket into her room and waited with her broom in hand in the hall .:cool::eek::eek:

Then we took over....:cool:

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Disclaimer: This method will not work for liquid measurements. :oops:
Brilliant!! :D:D:D:D
Just visualising the liquid system not working :p

Camino(s) past & future
Ha reminds me in a way of my student years when living in student quarters.
One of our housemates never had cleaned a house, or a room for that matter. So the first time she wanted to clean her room she did not have a clue.
We said to her : " Just throw some water and take your floormob '. So she threw the complete content of a bucket into her room and waited with her broom in hand in the hall .:cool::eek::eek:

Then we took over....:cool:
That story gave me a belly laugh!

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Oh nooooo! More cleaning and cooking silliness...pleeeeeease! :D:D:D:D:D:D

We met two years ago again at a reunion.
We all chose a low key and cheaper priced restaurant seeing we had to take into account everyone's budget. She is a lovely woman , no doubt about that, but she still seems to live a very sheltered life where money can buy you all kind of luxury and privileges. So she found the food a bit " quaint " and she found us all very " brave " because we work fulltime out of free choice and in my case do not have a cleaning lady.
So yep again about cleaning ;)
Last year she chose not to join us.

Anyway back to dollop and measurements. Come to think of it. ..I have another story about measurements also.

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
We met two years ago again at a reunion.
We all chose a low key and cheaper priced restaurant seeing we had to take into account everyone's budget. She is a lovely woman , no doubt about that, but she still seems to live a very sheltered life where money can buy you all kind of luxury and privileges. So she found the food a bit " quaint " and she found us all very " brave " because we work fulltime out of free choice and in my case do not have a cleaning lady.
So yep again about cleaning ;)
Last year she chose not to join us.

Anyway back to dollop and measurements. Come to think of it. ..I have another story about measurements also.
Go on.......

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
I was out, many years ago, with a group in quite a nice atmospheric restaurant! We were all young (ish) and the meals brought to the table when my best friend asked the waiter “Do you have any Daddies sauce?”

Note. Daddies Sauce is a rather brown acidic proprietary sauce NOT served in restaurants.

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
I was out, many years ago, with a group in quite a nice atmospheric restaurant! We were all young (ish) and the meals brought to the table when my best friend asked the waiter “Do you have any Daddies sauce?”

Note. Daddies Sauce is a rather brown acidic proprietary sauce NOT served in restaurants.
Like HP brown sauce?

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
True story!
About six years ago I had to go on a “mercy mission” and bring my eldest son back fro America (Richmond). After about three days I said “let’s go out for dinner..I’ve heard about American steaks”
Here is the conversation between waitress and us!
Waitress to son. “ would you like a drink with your meal”
Son. “I’ll hsve a wheat beer”
Waitress “could I see some I/d?
Son then produces proof of age.
Waitress. “And you sir?”
Me. “I’ll have a bottled beer..a bud or something like that”
The waitress then stood quietly for what seemed a long time.
Me. “ ummm....you don’t want to see my I/d?
Waitress. “I’m sorry sir...it’s the law!....and you look so damn young”

She got a ten dollar tip btw!

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.

Like this
41YAjUIPMtL.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
True story!
About six years ago I had to go on a “mercy mission” and bring my eldest son back fro America (Richmond). After about three days I said “let’s go out for dinner..I’ve heard about American steaks”
Here is the conversation between waitress and us!
Waitress to son. “ would you like a drink with your meal”
Son. “I’ll hsve a wheat beer”
Waitress “could I see some I/d?
Son then produces proof of age.
Waitress. “And you sir?”
Me. “I’ll have a bottled beer..a bud or something like that”
The waitress then stood quietly for what seemed a long time.
Me. “ ummm....you don’t want to see my I/d?
Waitress. “I’m sorry sir...it’s the law!....and you look so damn young”

She got a ten dollar tip btw!
That waitress feeds all the old geezers that "line". She brings in the most tips at the end of every shift she works!...Bazinga,BB! ;)
(Ofcourse I'm just kidding. I'm sure she meant every word of it as she looked at you!)

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
That waitress feeds all the old geezers that "line". She brings in the most tips at the end of every shift she works!...Bazinga,BB! ;)
(Ofcourse I'm just kidding. I'm sure she meant every word of it as she looked at you!)
Its Mr, Old Geezer! :p! She must be raking it in! :D
P.S....my sons are very young :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
Its Mr, Old Geezer! :p! She must be raking it in! :D
P.S....my sons are very young :cool:
If your son was very young, then he musta had a fake ID to get that drink! Ha, ha!
Yes, I've gathered you are not particularly old, BB! No worries there! Read my lips...I was just KIDDING!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 186 24.5%