A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Maybe it is a mammufant?

In 2017 it was reported that scientists at Harward were working on combining DNA from a 4000 year old corpse of a mammut with elephant DNA. Maybe they succeeded and we didn’t hear about it? As strong as our non-serious group has grown, we may be able to lobby to change the experiment so that they breed the mammufant with permanent red socks?

Actually it’s a little scary.

By the way, I am thinking of changing my avatar- what do you think?

View attachment 39782

Only if you photoshop your glasses of your old Avatar on this new one...Check!

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Maybe it is a mammufant?

In 2017 it was reported that scientists at Harward were working on combining DNA from a 4000 year old corpse of a mammut with elephant DNA. Maybe they succeeded and we didn’t hear about it? As strong as our non-serious group has grown, we may be able to lobby to change the experiment so that they breed the mammufant with permanent red socks?

Actually it’s a little scary.

By the way, I am thinking of changing my avatar- what do you think?

View attachment 39782
It's different , that's for sure . :eek:

Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
o_O:eek:
Donkey felt a bit sad bye this exclusion. He thought he was only waiting for his red socks that @domigee offered to knit him, then he would start walking to Santiago. But now his really depressed an just sits there in a hole. I´m worried for him..

View attachment 39785
Don't be worried , get him red socks so he can go walk a Camino .

Advertisment

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Now seriously, talking about lovely animals, the number one item on the television and radio news in the San Diego County this week was about "Little Girl." She was stolen from her old owner while he slept on a park. After the robbery was reported the good citizens entered in action conducting search and rescue operations on foot and with the help of a sheriff's helicopter. Little Girl was recovered unharmed and in good health, and later was united with her owner. A 28-year-old resident of the area was arrested, on a charge of grand theft. Little Girl is a mule [no report of Little Girl wearing red sox]. And we now return to normally scheduled programming with "NOT a serious thread." To all caminantes, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Fear not, I am sooooo NOT serious :D;) Nor are any others I don't think :confused:
And for some reason, I was not getting notifications that you were all here being deadly serious, even competitive - so I missed it all!
:eek::D:D:D
Never.

Except to say that I saw this poor frozen elephant in the Washington Post and hope someone has managed to find her red socks, PDQ! View attachment 39779
I am not getting notifications with a "ding" any more either on this thread, so now have to check it ocassionally on my own to keep up. I wonder why? And btw, this is a serious question!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I am not getting notifications with a "ding" any more either on this thread, so now have to check it ocassionally on my own to keep up. I wonder why? And btw, this is a serious question!
Seriously?
Yes, I'm serious. And stop calling me Lee.
Badda-bing.

Actually Chris, same here. But I've noticed that I mysteriously stop getting alerts on a number of threads I watch and then I start getting them again.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I will do my best to get him up from the hole., but it sure isn´t gonna be easy.

View attachment 39786
Maybe if I can cheer him up with a red scarf to mach his socks?
Maybe you can get him out of the hole by lowering down the giraffe's l o n g red scarf and hoisting him up.

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Seriously?
Yes, I'm serious. And stop calling me Lee.
Badda-bing.

Actually Chris, same here. But I've noticed that I mysteriously stop getting alerts on a number of threads I watch and then I start getting them again.
I don't get alerts! I want lerts!
'Seriously' sulking now (kicks furniture. Ouch. That was a gnou and he is not happy)
;)

Camino(s) past & future
Is there really a focused topic?! :eek:)

And are we the focus group? :p AKA "a small, but demographically diverse group of people whose reactions are studied especially in market research or political analysis in guided or open discussions about a new product"...

The new product being the red socks..................................................................o_O

Camino(s) past & future
And are we the focus group? :p AKA "a small, but demographically diverse group of people whose reactions are studied especially in market research or political analysis in guided or open discussions about a new product"...

The new product being the red socks..................................................................o_O
Err...... :(
But yes, of course we are! :oops:
(Completely lost now but pretending she isn't....Sooooo like my pilgrimages! :D:D)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Well, it happened to me again. A store I visit once in awhile has a bilingual warning sign in the dressing room. Every time I visit my eye catches the version in Spanish first and I always inadvertently supply my own creative translation to

Los ladrones seran
sometidos a jucio.

as

Thieves will
sometimes be juiced.

That might work better though.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Well, it happened to me again. A store I visit once in awhile has a bilingual warning sign in the dressing room. Every time I visit my eye catches the version in Spanish first and I always inadvertently supply my own creative translation to

Los ladrones seran
sometidos a jucio.

as

Thieves will
sometimes be juiced.

Juicing will bring out the red. Ergo creating red socks!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Juicing will bring out the red. Ergo creating red socks!
Eeeeeeee! And hahahahahaha!!
Ok got sidetracked..back to the topic....:cool:
This whole thread IS about being sidetracked. And is it possible to get sidetracked from being sidetracked?
Or is that too deeply serious for this thread?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)

Los ladrones seran
sometidos a jucio.

as

Thieves will
sometimes be juiced.

Unoimutchpreferurkree8vvershn. Imustryt2rytitdownwthasharpie. Iluktupasharpiejustnow. Itsnevr2l82lernsmthng. Ineedaredsharpie.

Camino(s) past & future
Uh-oh. If so, I'm in trouble. But I do have red socks.
In the spirit of "My Camino/Your Camino," red Birkenstocks should count, too, because some of us are not fashionistas.
Sorry, just won't do. We ALL need red stilettos now, if we are to be proper pilgrims. :D

Camino(s) past & future
Sorry, just won't do. We ALL need red stilettos now, if we are to be proper pilgrims. :D

hahaha then I will have to leave this beautiful bunch...I can't even walk decent with flat shoes let alone stilettos...I will never be proper and true....:cool: but at least I'm funny...( I think ):p
Will keep to my red rainjacket....Ah yes now I remember I stil have a red handbag somewhere in a closet....

Camino(s) past & future
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
ALL??? Even our menagerie? Thinking the giraffe might get to high to get under some of the tunnels of the Camino.

Will keep to my red rainjacket....Ah yes now I remember I stil have a red handbag somewhere in a closet....
That will do just fine!

yaying

Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
hahaha then I will have to leave this beautiful bunch...I can't even walk decent with flat shoes let alone stilettos...I will never be proper and true....:cool: but at least I'm funny...( I think ):p
same same here... i just have my red heart pumping red blood teaming up with the red sockers rockers!:p

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Maybe some of these RED ruffled Spanish Stilettos spotted in Seville a few weeks ago. Perfect second pair of shoes for the Camino.;););)
46CB6D0D-80EB-42DA-B919-A9873425B676.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
The gentleman in the picture below has graciously agreed to host a lecture on 'The art of Minimalism.' He is also giving out some practical information on the art of packing light. Other areas to be covered are the beauty of 115L back packs. Space is limited, who will be signing up? But as you can see he arrived in Santiago, who am I to judge? View attachment 37439
He even has a night-time doll strapped to his left shoulder! :)

Camino(s) past & future
What shop did you see them in? Does Ryanair fly there?

Oh that red will clash enormously with the yellow/blue from Ryanair...:) Now please let us stay stylish....:eek:
Even more important : I just read the small print of Ryanair and they wrote they just changed the max. height for the giraffes...If my giraffe cannot come on board neither will I. Freight boat it will be...will take a bit longer but at least I can knit in my cabin...And I can take the giraffe on a walk on the deck.

Camino(s) past & future
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
Even more important : I just read the small print of Ryanair and they wrote they just changed the max. height for the giraffes...If my giraffe cannot come on board neither will I. Freight boat it will be...will take a bit longer but at least I can knit in my cabin...And I can take the giraffe on a walk on the deck.
You made my day! :D:D:D

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Oh that red will clash enormously with the yellow/blue from Ryanair...:) Now please let us stay stylish....:eek:
No problem taking your giraffe on the plane . . . He’s your “Emotional Support Animal”, right?

Camino(s) past & future
No problem taking your giraffe on the plane . . . He’s your “Emotional Support Animal”, right?
Like the hamster story recently in the USA? Now that was a weird one....;)

No, my giraffe is more the coaching type and he can be stern when needed. Only yesterday he told me : " Now Sabine , don't be so scared driving the car through that snow . Snap out of it ".:p

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you for your grounding comment. Grounding. Grounded. Like Ryanair at the moment. Lockdown. Even the seas are verboten at the moment... this is day 4 of being forbidden to leave the house! EEK! I am going out! Red alerts reduced to orange. I am going out! Just going to saddle up my emergency transport... Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 10.08.33.png

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Like the hamster story recently in the USA? Now that was one weird story....;)

No, my giraffe is more the coaching type and he can be stern when needed. Only yesterday he told me : " Now Sabine , don't be so scared driving the car through that snow . Snap out of it ".:p
I totally understand your hesitations. Just let him drive a bit. 26D86C09-F7D9-4272-B265-161D84D77E30.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Just let him drive a bit.
Or just ride on his back? Except in epic blizzards, you wouldn't be out of your depth. But it goes without saying that without socks (of any colour!), it is cruel to ask a giraffe to walk in the snow.

Camino(s) past & future
Or just ride on his back? Except in epic blizzards, you wouldn't be out of your depth. But it goes without saying that without socks (of any colour!), it is cruel to ask a giraffe to walk in the snow.
He looks to me as if he has lovely warm knitted by Sabine socks on....

Camino(s) past & future
We've been so focused on giraffes in the snow that the very important question that @nycwalking asked fell through the cracks:

So does sidetracked squared equal found? Or are you just more lost?
Anybody got a copy of Mister God, this is Anna? I seem to remember she was deep into this kind of question... and anyway, time for tea.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Anybody got a copy of Mister God, this is Anna? I seem to remember she was deep into this kind of question... and anyway, time for tea.
Tea where you are. I am just waking up at 6:39am. And, all is well. It is surely a red socks day.

Camino(s) past & future
If there's tea, it's impossible to be lost. Doubly sidetracked perhaps. So maybe you just unwittingly answered our question @kirkie.
Bedtime here soon. Lost is probably as relative as time.
The wonders of cyber communication! Good morning and goodnight, and may they be red letter events!

Camino(s) past & future
Seriously, I just heard a story where a woman wanted to take her "emotional support peacock" on the plane with her, but after much hoopla was declined...and don't any of you comrades dare to add peacocks to the zoo we already have going on this thread! Lol! ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Gorgeous, @kirkie!
any of you comrades dare to add peacocks to the zoo we already have going on this thread! Lol! ;)
Haha! You just did, Chris. :p;)
And besides, what's wrong with peacocks, other than the racket they make? If spiders are ok, peacocks should be too. And until kirkue posted this robin we have a dearth of birds here. Oh. . .but it's true that the red socks wouldn't go so stylishly with their blue colour scheme. . .

Camino(s) past & future
Please. I love blue.
Or if people can't decide one way or another we can always include purple.

Ohh thank you!!! I was kind of getting worried because I was receiving looks from the salesperson at the yarnstore with all the red yarn I bought !! Now I can buy other colours too....Hehe...
;)
Btw the workshop is open today Belgian local time 3 till 5 pm. Coffee, tea and biscuits are provided. Bring your own wine though ;) Come over and come knitting....

Camino(s) past & future
Ohh thank you!!! I was kind of getting worried because I was receiving looks from the salesperson at the yarnstore with all the red yarn I bought !! Now I can buy other colours too....Hehe...
;)
Btw the workshop is open today Belgian local time 3 till 5 pm. Coffee, tea and biscuits are provided. Bring your own wine though ;) Come over and come knitting....
might just make it. Airport is open again... if I can find my red socks...

Camino(s) past & future
;)
Aww, wish I could join you, but I only jump the pond once or twice a year. Bummer. :-(

Camino(s) past & future
Ah better next time @kirkie .
Yes @VNwalking ...gave them to my lovely neighbours who were so kind giving me a lift Friday with that horrid weather.

Found this cute banner on my walk.
Local school is named the Letterfant..:)
They have an octopus too...

Edit...took the wrong pic...elephant is in the background...monument for the fallen soldiers in the front.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I super-like that octopus, Sabine, but given that eating them is such a big thing on parts of the Camino, I guess we can't include octopi in our peaceable camino. (I may be in a minority, but I can't imagine eating them - I have a thing about eating anyone who is smarter than I am, and they are seriously smart.
Ooops. That was way too serious. Sorry everyone.:oops: )

Camino(s) past & future
I super-like that octopus, Sabine, but given that eating them is such a big thing on parts of the Camino, I guess we can't include octopi in our peaceable camino. (I may be in a minority, but I can't imagine eating them - I have a thing about eating anyone who is smarter than I am, and they are seriously smart.
Ooops. That was way too serious. Sorry everyone.:oops: )

Ok deal, we leave the octopi at home. Someone has to water the plants and empty the mailbox anyway.
Of course we will send them a postcard from the Camino : the least we can do.

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Let’s exchange some knitting patterns, cookie recipes and the best way to fry an octopus –no, that’s too serious – I can’t think… I need air…. I will go for a walk around the frozen lakes in the city center, it’s not too windy today. Stay safe.

Camino(s) past & future
This is a red letter day. Does that count? Thaw is on! One egg in the house. Good old google gave a recipe. Cake will emerge. I will freeze one slice for a visitor from the forum. Why only one slice? Well, four in next door house, two here,... ok, I will freeze 2 slices. I re(a)d your minds. You want the recipe? Just ask. But you have to like real butter.
6711AC85-9994-460E-B5AE-0B089414160A.jpeg

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%