A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

NOT a serious thread

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Of course 😄
(I’ve already snapped yours 😉)

Always jam first .... as per BB’s quantities 😉😄
Not simply because I have Cornish blood/genes ...
.... think of it as a jam sandwich 🤗

It’s lovely stuff 😊
And a lot of it is Fair Trade ... hurrah!!!
If it were a jam sandwich it would have to be scone - cream - jam - cream - scone!

Whereas if it were a ham sandwich:
1542324651070.png

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Well...my parents had an old (rather big) radio and no television. My earliest memories were two way family favourites, round the Horne (with Kenneth Williams)and...the goon show (Peter Sellars,Michael Bentine,Harry Secombe and Spike Milligan.
And the Navy Lark!

Tried to explain "Two Way Family Favourites" to Daughter No 1 recently and she asked why they couldn't have just used Skype instead.

For our overseas listeners TWFF was a hangover from WW2. An RAF officer called Cliff Michelmore was based in Hamburg and a BBC announcer called Jean Metcalfe who was based in London used to broadcast messages back and forth on behalf of British military personnel to their families back home (after six months chatting on the radio they final met and were married). It was a staple of the Great British institution at lunchtime on Sundays where you sat and listened to messages from Lance Corporal Smith who had been stationed at RAF Gütersloh for the past 12 months and was looking forward to coming home to see his six week old daughter for the first time . . .

Oh, my one claim to fame: Cliff Michelmore let me back my car out of a very tight parking space once in 1978!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I'm serious. I'm not serious.

I just red your post, as you can see.
Apparently, some of you peeps, use a computer or ipad on the forum. I can't type in color on my Android...I'm missing out on extra doses of not serious! 😯😐😑😕

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
This what I mean by only UKans.

Sorry, for poor grammar in other post. Made possessive rather than plural.

However, UKans seem to have interesting tea and goodie debates.

Milk added to tea or milk first then tea!

Now, jam first or jam later?
In the US, the butter ALWAYS goes on first, no matter what carb it's being put on!

Apparently, some of you peeps, use a computer or ipad on the forum. I can't type in color on my Android...I'm missing out on extra doses of not serious! 😯😐😑😕
Hi Chris ...
Can you see a ‘drop’ (to the right of the S ) in the ‘box’ wherein we type our own posts?

If you click/touch on that, you should see a colour chart
Choose your colour!

You can also do it to words within the quote ... so feel free to change any word within this post ... even the spelling of colour perhaps? 😉😄

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
But, whipped creme always go on top of the fruit or jam.
Whichever way it goes in, it all ends up in the same place.;)
milk added to tea Seriously. :rolleyes:
Well...of course.
But it can't be Darjeeling. Milk with that is disgusting. Assam or a really strong dark breakfast mix. One thing I notice in Holland is that people know how to drink coffee and it's really good. But tea always seems to mean something too light to go with milk.
Whereas if it were a ham sandwich:
Hahahhaaahahaaahaaaa....
Chortling, still. And to know there are official people in the world with a sense of humor...this cheers me up no end.
Love the look of this soap, that @Beeman recommended in another thread. Wonder if it works for us human to? Or maybe it is best for giraffes, mices and elephants skin?
Well...a bar would last longer on a mouse or human than an elephant or a giraffe.;)
You can also do it to words within the quote ... so feel free to change any word within this post ... even the spelling of colour perhaps? 😉😄
It's fine as it is, @chinacat. :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Chris ...
Can you see a ‘drop’ (to the right of the S ) in the ‘box’ wherein we type our own posts?

If you click/touch on that, you should see a colour chart
Choose your colour!

Sorry, not seeing that symbol, but thanks anyway!

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
@Jeff Crawley

Jean Metcalfe 😄
I haven’t heard that name for decades ...
Lovely to be reminded of her, thanks! 😊

Remember Uncle Mac? 😉 (was it Saturday mornings?)
Did you all have Thom Brown’s School Days? And Melody, a musical about English school kids?

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Only in the form of a book 🙂

We had a movie based on book with English cast. Played on Saturday afternoons.

And don’t remember Melody at all 😕
I had a friend with the name Melody, in my teens ... it really suited her 🙂
Melody had a song by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young: Teach Your Children. Another film with an cast full of English school kids.

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
I thought a scone is a scone is a scone...at least where I live. Sometimes they put icing on them though, but no jam or creme.
Try it Chris! A sultana scone, jam and a criminal amount of clotted cream...delicious! (Well a nights worth in the sherriffs cell..not state penitentiary level 🤑)

Last edited:

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
So is clotted cream the same thing as whipped cream? I assume so.
No..it is specific! I think you should be able to get it in the U.S. in the U.k we get single,double and clotted! A double cream whipped is a good (but not perfect) alternative! Devon and Cornwall are full of little tea houses advertising cream teas! It is a summer stop for one...
If you can...go for clotted!

Camino(s) past & future
No..it is specific! I think you should be able to get it in the U.S. in the U.k we get single,double and clotted! A double cream whipped is a good (but not perfect) alternative! Devon and Cornwall are full of little tea houses advertising cream teas! It is a summer stop for one...
If you can...go for clotted!
The only way we use the word clotted is as in RED blood clots!
If I asked for clotted cream no one would understand. In my mind I think of cottage cheese! :p

Camino(s) past & future
Clotted cream is made by a very, very slow heating process ... which gives it a sort of soft crust ... partly butterfat ... 😋😋😋
@chinacat, I assumed you were from the US, but now I'm wondering. Maybe if I were the good baker you must be, I'd know what you know! ☺

Camino(s) past & future
😂😂😂😂😂 noooo CC(have to be careful with that abbreviation..we’ve got two at the mo!)..now I’m going to have nightmares! The scone bites back!
Some folks spray Permathrin to kill the bedbugs, but I drown the brown critters with this instead. (I know it's your favorite clotted cream...yum)! 😀 Screenshot_2018-11-15-21-22-38.jpg

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Some folks spray Permathrin to kill the bedbugs, but I drown the brown critters with this instead. (I know it's your favorite clotted cream...yum)! 😀 View attachment 48886
Probably tastes the same..😂 so easily mixed up! That’s not the stuff that a previous poster mistakenly misnamed for a product used by...um...ladies! (Still, what about a couple who missed the exclamation mark in one of the text shorthand phrases) 🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣

Camino(s) past & future
Some folks spray Permathrin to kill the bedbugs, but I drown the brown critters with this instead. (I know it's your favorite clotted cream...yum)! 😀 View attachment 48886
My elderly dad was at register checking out when his whip cream exploded.

You can imagine the panic....🙃

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
I think the best option to settle the question is immediately before your next Camino to build in extra time and head to Cornwall for a Cream Tea, and then immediately to Devon for a Cream Tea. Try to get sponsored by a BBC radio show.
We could have a Cream Tea party. 😊

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Everyone on this thread has her/his moments of hilarious humour and thank goodness they don’t all shine at the same time. And by the way, Peter, did you bake them? If so, do you want to share the recipe on 15th December? If not, no problem. It is a project I committed to and am ready and willing. Did I read some shock at the notion of sultana scones? That’s another whole thread. And a prize of a lupa is due to chinacat for finding the currants buns.
EEBD61E5-9596-405C-BCE2-C74D6255EF30.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
And the Navy Lark!

Tried to explain "Two Way Family Favourites" to Daughter No 1 recently and she asked why they couldn't have just used Skype instead.

For our overseas listeners TWFF was a hangover from WW2. An RAF officer called Cliff Michelmore was based in Hamburg and a BBC announcer called Jean Metcalfe who was based in London used to broadcast messages back and forth on behalf of British military personnel to their families back home (after six months chatting on the radio they final met and were married). It was a staple of the Great British institution at lunchtime on Sundays where you sat and listened to messages from Lance Corporal Smith who had been stationed at RAF Gütersloh for the past 12 months and was looking forward to coming home to see his six week old daughter for the first time . . .

Oh, my one claim to fame: Cliff Michelmore let me back my car out of a very tight parking space once in 1978!
It was a staple of the Great British institution at lunchtime on Sundays where you sat and listened to messages from Lance Corporal Smith who had been stationed at RAF Gütersloh for the past 12 months and was looking forward to coming home to see his six week old daughter for the first time . . .
9534C044-B9E5-4769-BFBF-3A814157596F.jpeg

Jill81

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
I was blissfully unaware of the scone debate and the revered status of clotted cream before meeting the in-laws some years ago. Sultanas are one thing, but imagine their faces when scones with dried cranberries were offered up!

It was a steep learning curve in those days and even making a cup of tea had to be relearned. Strong? Yes, it has to be very strong! “Strong enough to trot a mouse across it”, according to my mother-in-law.🇬🇧☕️🇬🇧

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
I think the best option to settle the question is immediately before your next Camino to build in extra time and head to Cornwall for a Cream Tea, and then immediately to Devon for a Cream Tea. Try to get sponsored by a BBC radio show.

Yes!!! Oh I feel a project coming up!!
I once had scones at Fortnum & Mason ( in the least fancy dining room there, still too posh for me ) so count me in to give the rest of the English teahouses a try.

Everyone on this thread has her/his moments of hilarious humour and thank goodness they don’t all shine at the same time. And by the way, Peter, did you bake them? If so, do you want to share the recipe on 15th December? If not, no problem. It is a project I committed to and am ready and willing. Did I read some shock at the notion of sultana scones? That’s another whole thread. And a prize of a lupa is due to chinacat for finding the currants buns.
View attachment 48895

A201A131-5089-4F45-B43E-1F8A1C629312.jpeg

Whilst looking for it I found your exchange with @Iriebabel on SOAP 😉😄
Hysterical 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Last edited:

Jill81

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Yes!!! Oh I feel a project coming up!!
I once had scones at Fortnum & Mason ( in the least fancy dining room there, still too posh for me ) so count me in to give the rest of the English teahouses a try.
Yes, there’s a lot of serious research to be done.😋

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
View attachment 48895
Sorry didn't bake them myself. 😏

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
I was blissfully unaware of the scone debate and the revered status of clotted cream before meeting the in-laws some years ago. Sultanas are one thing, but imagine their faces when scones with dried cranberries were offered up!

It was a steep learning curve in those days and even making a cup of tea had to be relearned. Strong? Yes, it has to be very strong! “Strong enough to trot a mouse across it”, according to my mother-in-law.🇬🇧☕️🇬🇧
Your MiL sounds like a good person, listen to her advice (regarding tea at least!)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
😳😳😳

Sultanas???
Did I read some shock at the notion of sultana scones?
I kept quiet but feel I must chime in to support @chinacat.
Just...NO.

(Actually sultanas baked into anything...I think the texture is...well...never mind. But that is another story.

but imagine their faces when scones with dried cranberries were offered up!
o_O

Give me nuts any day of the week (though NEVER in a scone:p), which I guess is why I'm here.;)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino(s) past & future
Try it Chris! A sultana scone, jam and a criminal amount of clotted cream...delicious! (Well a nights worth in the sherriffs cell..not state penitentiary level 🤑)
BB, you are mistaken...a sultan is this fellow, Screenshot_2018-11-16-06-59-20.jpg there is no A at the end! 😄

Camino(s) past & future
Absolutely nothing CC...that’s the “delicious” irony....in a not too serious way!
Yes, that's why I said NOT...I couldn't care less as there is NO connection!
BTW, There is no political interest, so hope the mods let our puns slip by! 😀

Camino(s) past & future
puns, currants, sultanas... nothing political here. That is such a relief. Now, the relief of Mafeking... stop! just pulling it out from school history lesson, it has nothing to do with anything on this thread. Though, here comes another revelation: I was never a student. In the sense of studying, from September till the exams in May. No, not for me. Give me a mad couple of days. And let it include the film Zulu. That beautiful film got me my O level history pass. was it beautiful? Sadly, I do not remember. But it did the job, so I got the necessary number of passes for my entry requirements to teacher training college. I never could understand those who studied. My approach was: why give time in September, to then forget, and then have to go over it all again just before the exams my attitude was really rather obstructionist. And it takes a long time for the original stripes to disappear...

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Clotted cream is made by a very, very slow heating process ... which gives it a sort of soft crust ... partly butterfat ... 😋😋😋
And stinks to high heaven while doing it. Was given a tour of the Cow & Gate Creamery in Totnes, Devon while on a school trip.
The whole place reeked of sour milk (think Hersheys). The room where they made the clotted cream was full of racks about 3 feet by 6 (twas a long time ago) and 6 inches deep. Each filled with a thickening cream. Think of a sauna smelling of sour milk. Smelled gross, tasted just fine - clotted cream atop vanilla ice cream in a cone :p

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
But please people!!! I count on you to learn me things! To improve my skills...

What should I do now??????:eek:
Keep us on the straight and narrow, for one.
And if we teach you bad spilling and gramer? There must be a magic spell against actually learning that.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
And if we teach you bad spilling and gramer? There must be a magic spell against actually learning that.
Perhaps Sabine should watch Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo

For those who don't get it Crabtree is and English spy in occupied France who thinks he speaks French.

Camino(s) past & future
But please people!!! I count on you to learn me things! To improve my skills...

What should I do now??????:eek:
Sabine, you do know... learn is what you do for yourself... and did I ever tell you (watch out, here she goes again!) about a friend, who was in one of my first local second chance learning classes? She called educated people those who wore collar and tie, metaphorically speaking. The day she was asked by a bank clerk to spell her surname was the day she knew she had put them all on a pedestal they did not deserve. I am the first to notice a typo, and so what? that quote from Chris was so right. once more, Happy Tuesday everyone.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
The trouble is, if Sabine picks up on bad spelling and grammar people will think she's British ;)

Did anybody see the news item from New Zealand. Year 13 students were worried about getting marked down in an exam because they didn't know what trivial means.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Why worry? There's always engineering.
Have you any idea of the quality of engineers being turned out nowadays?

Two years ago I was looking at renovating the drainage system of one of the major motorways in England. We didn't have enough engineers in house for the work so farmed it out to our parent company.

To check the condition of the pipes you pass a video camera down them - a bit like an endoscope.

The work was given to a young engineer who wrote out her report and sent it in to me. One of her recommendations was to replace 1.3km of damaged drainage pipes with ones made from perforated stainless steel. Ever keen to embrace new technology I told her that she'd need to apply for a deviation from standards as stainless steel wasn't the kind of material we normally used. "Oh yes," she said, "there's some in there already"

Puzzled I asked her to point me towards the video evidence which clearly stated the pipe was polyvinyl chloride or plastic to you and me.

When asked why she thought it was stainless steel her reply "Because it was very shiny" was a major element in me bringing forward my plans for retirement.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Wow. Things are going to the dogs...definitely time to give up barking.
Did anybody see the news item from New Zealand. Year 13 students were worried about getting marked down in an exam because they didn't know what trivial means.
None of the Kiwis I know are all that serious. :cool:

"Night everyone! Have a good morningnoonafternooneveningnight.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
puns, currants, sultanas... nothing political here. That is such a relief. Now, the relief of Mafeking... stop! just pulling it out from school history lesson, it has nothing to do with anything on this thread. Though, here comes another revelation: I was never a student. In the sense of studying, from September till the exams in May. No, not for me. Give me a mad couple of days. And let it include the film Zulu. That beautiful film got me my O level history pass. was it beautiful? Sadly, I do not remember. But it did the job, so I got the necessary number of passes for my entry requirements to teacher training college. I never could understand those who studied. My approach was: why give time in September, to then forget, and then have to go over it all again just before the exams my attitude was really rather obstructionist. And it takes a long time for the original stripes to disappear...
You got an O level history pass after Zulu? It was 90% fiction! What were you studying?

Camino(s) past & future
Only taught at Hogwarts. I think we’ve aged out.

Sunny and will be 80 degrees.

Ski slopes are open in SoCal mtns.

"Melody" was a movie called SWALK in the UK.
Oh my. I loved that movie, as a kid.

Wow. Things are going to the dogs...definitely time to give up barking.

None of the Kiwis I know are all that serious. :cool:

"Night everyone! Have a good morningnoonafternooneveningnight.
Night.

Morning, I am still under the covers at 8:23am.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Peg and I pretty faithfully watched Hill Street Blues but my favorite cop shows were Police Squad and Barney Miller. I had a couple of people tell me that I reminded them of Detective Dietrich.
Dietrich? Um! He was the bright, slightly odd, funny one.☺️

HSB and BM are still running in syndication.

Police Squad? Never heard of it.

Camino(s) past & future
You got an O level history pass after Zulu? It was 90% fiction! What were you studying?
I am blessed with a very selective memory. The Boer War. The history period was maybe from the French Revolution to 1945, or else it was from 1832 till 1945. And remember, studying is very serious stuff. I was never a serious student. And of course, whose views were propounded in our textbooks? Fortunately, life has been kind to me in the sense of educating me to a wider appreciation of the past and the present. Another feature of my attention span is that it resembles a grasshopper. Now, with you, now, gone to other pastures...
And let us not ignore a most important eureka moment for nycwalking of this thread: today the humble sultana as a food made its way into her awareness.
http://www.globalgrains.co.uk/nuts-dried-fruits/dried-fruit/sultanas/

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%