A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

NOT a serious thread

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Writing backwards is a more useful talent though. You see sailors in the combat information centers on ships writing backwards on glass. They have special training for this consisting of a chief petty officier saying loudly "No, you idiot. So they can read it."

hahaha.
have you ever heard about the hindi 'chai tea'?
In all its different combinations, Chai is definitely one of my favourites, yaying 😋
Delicious and restorative ... and good in rice or almond milk or simply water ...others will have their own favourites 🙂

I even have some (homemade) chai ice cream in my freezer 😉😄
... one with dairy and a second batch with an almond and cashew base.
The nut one is best eaten fresh. Most nut-based ice creams seem to defrost differently from those made with dairy milk and cream.

Your choice! 😉🍨😉

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
oh is that a scarecrow doll? the shell is nice...
of course that redsockers too!
Good eyes @yaying. There are lots of shells scattered around the house. They make dusting a challenge. It is a scarecrow. That's a seasonal decoration and will likely be replaced next week after Thanksgiving since winter has arrived with it's first snow.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
In all its different combinations, Chai is definitely one of my favourites, yaying 😋
Delicious and restorative ... and good in rice or almond milk or simply water ...others will have their own favourites 🙂

I even have some (homemade) chai ice cream in my freezer 😉😄
... one with dairy and a second batch with an almond and cashew base.
The nut one is best eaten fresh. Most nut-based ice creams seem to defrost differently from those made with dairy milk and cream.

Your choice! 😉🍨😉
Chinacat, you are amazing! I can't even imagine doing/making these unique things...all new news to me! Seriously! ☺

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Good eyes @yaying. There are lots of shells scattered around the house. They make dusting a challenge. It is a scarecrow. That's a seasonal decoration and will likely be replaced next week after Thanksgiving since winter has arrived with it's first snow.
reminds me of my ever first doll(selfmade:rolleyes:), i used to be dorothy:D:p and the rest was history:cool:.

always received spank from granny if she will catch us taking home any shells.:(

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
hahahah
but what a mistake i couldn't forget about
sweat & sour
or
sweet & sour
o_O:(:confused::rolleyes:o_O:oops::D:p
I hope you can forgive me for pointing that one out @yaying. I wasn't making fun of you or even the spelling. It was the image formed with the wrong word. I think of this story told by a Spanish teacher I had who was learning Spanish in Argentina. She had bought some new clothes and was showing them off to her boyfriend. She said, as she twirled around to show them off in full "Te gustas mi traste?" Oops. Instead of asking "Do you like my suit (traje)?" she asked (translation can vary) "Do you like my ass?"

As for the difficulty of English spelling go to
http://www.rhymer.com/sweet.html
and
http://www.rhymer.com/sweat.html
and
http://www.rhymer.com/great.html
to see variant ways English uses to write out the same sounds.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
In the interest of science, after this afternoon’s short walk (5 miles/8km through woodland, blue skies, about 10°) I invited five friends and acquaintances (ie three females and two men who would not turn down free food) back to my place for tea and scones.

12 sultana scones and a tub of clotted cream were procured, tea was medium strength Assam – one lady asked for coffee, she will not be invited back.

The scones were split horizontally and they were prepared by the volunteers themselves one with the cream under and the other with the cream on top of the jam. The jams provided were strawberry jam and bramble jelly (volunteers’ choice) and they were asked which they preferred: jam on or under the cream?

The results that followed are shown here:

Man 1 bramble on top of cream ✓ strawberry under cream x

Lady 1 strawberry on top of cream ✓ strawberry under cream ✓

Man 2 bramble on top of cream ✓ strawberry under cream ✓

Lady 2 bramble on top of cream ✓ strawberry under cream x

Man 3 bramble on top of cream ✓ bramble under cream x

Lady 3 strawberry on top of cream ✓ strawberry under cream x

The conclusions are that:

some women (including those that ask for coffee at afternoon tea) have no taste and just like to gorge on cream scones (Lady 1).

some men either don’t listen to the instructions or deliberately ignore them in the rush to eat (Man 2)

most people of my acquaintance prefer to have the jam atop the cream

I should not let other people stack my dishwasher – they get it wrong

The majority agreement was that the cream should go under the jam because, in the words of Lady 3, otherwise the cloying creaminess (it’s a word – I looked it up) smothers the slightly tart sugariness (that’s a word too) of the jam.

It also taught me not to overdo the clotted cream after a walk as it’s left me feeling quite queasy and bloated.

I shall now sit back and wait for the letter from the Nobel Committee summoning me to Oslo (or Stockholm)

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
In the interest of science, after this afternoon’s short walk (5 miles/8km through woodland, blue skies, about 10°) I invited five friends and acquaintances (ie three females and two men who would not turn down free food) back to my place for tea and scones.

12 sultana scones and a tub of clotted cream were procured, tea was medium strength Assam – one lady asked for coffee, she will not be invited back.

The scones were split horizontally and they were prepared by the volunteers themselves one with the cream under and the other with the cream on top of the jam. The jams provided were strawberry jam and bramble jelly (volunteers’ choice) and they were asked which they preferred: jam on or under the cream?

some women (including those that ask for coffee at afternoon tea) have no taste and just like to gorge on cream scones (Lady 1).

some men either don’t listen to the instructions or deliberately ignore them in the rush to eat (Man 2)

The majority agreement was that the cream should go under the jam because, in the words of Lady 3, otherwise the cloying creaminess (it’s a word – I looked it up) smothers the slightly tart sugariness (that’s a word too) of the jam.

It also taught me not to overdo the clotted cream after a walk as it’s left me feeling quite queasy and bloated.

I shall now sit back and wait for the letter from the Nobel Committee summoning me to Oslo (or Stockholm)
Again I say, only the English, only the English!

Years ago, I worked for an English attorney. He schooled me on the proper way to prepare tea!

I was flabbergasted then and again whilst watching Downton Abbey.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.

Ok , no Camino's for the coming years then. 😂😂😉

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Again I say, only the English, only the English!

Years ago, I worked for an English attorney. He schooled me on the proper way to prepare tea!

I was flabbergasted then and again whilst watching Downton Abbey.
I watched half an episode of Downton Abbey and I too was flabbergasted - and my name's Crawley.
The family were thinking of crowdfunding an action against that dreadful Fellowes person for appropriating the name ;)
The sad truth is my roots are Irish (Cork City) which made this weekend all the sweeter because Ireland beat the All Blacks 16 - 9 for a first time win on home soil! The streets of Dublin must have been awash with Guinness last night.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
It's no good - no matter how hard I try I can't count them :(
That's a pile of puppies!
The sad truth is my roots are Irish (Cork City) which made this weekend all the sweeter because Ireland beat the All Blacks 16 - 9
Sweeter for you, perhaps.:(:(
Some of us downunder types beg to differ.
;)

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
I watched half an episode of Downton Abbey and I too was flabbergasted - and my name's Crawley.
The family were thinking of crowdfunding an action against that dreadful Fellowes person for appropriating the name ;)
The sad truth is my roots are Irish (Cork City) which made this weekend all the sweeter because Ireland beat the All Blacks 16 - 9 for a first time win on home soil! The streets of Dublin must have been awash with Guinness last night.
I was in Dublin once on St Patrick's Day. And yes, the streets were awash, with people like me carrying pints of Guinness. Magic day by the way.

Camino(s) past & future
None
But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?
I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)
Isn't that the whole point of the forum. Help/advice etc.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Something told me to stick with UKans and not the English.

Happy you’re happy about win!

Watching the Crawley’s just now!

Long live Downton Abbey.

yaying

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
somehow someday...
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
OMG... BWHAHAHAHAAAAAA.
The caps are not a mistake. I so wish I had had this when I was a grad student plowing through waaaaay too much of that. It was traumatic.

Edit...now that I have stopped laughing...good morning @chinacat!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Not just him. I am playing it now while writing this.
And I have striped socks - shades of blue. Plus some with a picture of the notorious RBG (okay, Ruth Bader Ginsburg). And black and white splotches. No red ones.
Not a terrible problem Jane. Elephants wear red socks when hiding in Cherry trees but they wear Ginsburg socks when hiding in the Supreme Court. There are many more cherry trees in Spain than Justices though.

Camino(s) past & future
Yum!
Maybe clotted cream is the same thing as 'cream cheese' in the US. (After the not serious discussion we all had a couple of days ago...?)
You know we, Americans, would never ingest anything with clotted as an adjective.

Clotted arteries, veins, brains: No!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
(Reposted after having been moderated)

A British National newspaper had an item to give away and decided the winner would be chosen from amongst those who correctly answered a simple question: A, B, C and D being the choices.

The correct answer was C. Indeed the competition was actually called "The Answer is C" but an amazing number of people still managed to get it wrong!

(no political bias or message was intended in the original posting :))

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Indeed the competition was actually called "The Answer is C" but an amazing number of people still managed to get it wrong!
They likely thought it was a trick question?
Being charitable here, rather than assuming pig-headed stupidity.;)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Just the thing for Christmas

Still looking for that perfect Christmas present for your nearest and dearest?

How about a village in Galicia - that's right, not just a house, a village, near Lugo (it doesn't say how near though ;)

Other people have shown interest but if you're successful can we stop by and say "Hello"?

Last edited:

Bristle boy

Here,There and Everywhere..Nowhere in particular.
Camino(s) past & future
Vegetarians might not like this, but where I come from, pig headed can also be ascribed to a person of whom it is said that “your head is all mince”...
View attachment 49080
What!!!!! 😱....heads made of mints!!! ...Pigeons speaking English!!!!.. Someone’s going to tell me that Elephants and pigs fly next!!!

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%