• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

NOT a serious thread

Advertisment

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15 & 16 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo (Sept.)
700 replies, almost 13,000 views, this thread is SERIOUS[ly] moving along . . .

To all caminantes: Ánimo! La luz de Dios alumbra su camino.
Seems the veterans on this site are tired of discussing boots, socks, backpacks, trekking poles and routes adnauseam.
Or maybe just a sign they all need to get back on the trail (including me!)

Peter Fransiscus

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Do I need to read this whole thread before I set of on my first Camino? There's only about 5 weeks before i start and I need at least a day of that for sock shopping... I'm thinking a nice purpley red?
Yes you have to read it and don't forget to wear your red socks.
Wish you happy reading.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Just thinking...seriously, well sort of anyway. Can you envision all of us who are addicted to this thread with our comments and bantering walking together on the Camino as one good sized group? We would probably have a blast walking in our red socks (compliments of Kanga's closet loaners), yet fellow pilgrims may likely think of us as a bunch of goofy "nut jobs". Hmmm, maybe they already think of us that way! Lol!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Yes you have to read it and don't forget to wear your red socks.
Wish you happy reading.
And it may take him a good week to get through it all, but then he will be able to apply for membership into our group when he answers all the questions correctly in the manual.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Do I need to read this whole thread before I set of on my first Camino? There's only about 5 weeks before i start and I need at least a day of that for sock shopping... I'm thinking a nice purpley red?
Yes. Because in addition to red socks there's an odd assortment of four-legged creatures and spiders you must take on camino. And, they all will need red socks.

Buen camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Can you envision all of us who are addicted to this thread with our comments and bantering walking together on the Camino as one good sized group? yet fellow pilgrims may likely think of us as a bunch of goofy "nut jobs". Hmmm, maybe they already think of us that way! Lol!
At least we are harmless, and not taking oureselves too seriously.
Ozymandias is quite undone
:eek:You had, but this is another level of un-doneness altogether; he's gone over the edge. I hope it was not hearing that other colors are allowable besides red that did it.

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
And it may take him a good week to get through it all, but then he will be able to apply for membership into our group when he answers all the questions correctly in the manual.
Hey Camino Chris, see you are only 3 months away now from your Le Puy jaunt. You must be getting excited! We just booked our airfare for Madrid last week, for the Primitivo this September. This was after swearing up and down that 2018 would be a non-Camino year. You know how that works...
Hi, my name is Mark and I'm a Camino-alholic...

Camino(s) past & future
Hey Camino Chris, see you are only 3 months away now from your Le Puy jaunt. You must be getting excited! We just booked our airfare for Madrid last week, for the Primitivo this September. This was after swearing up and down that 2018 would be a non-Camino year. You know how that works...
Hi, my name is Mark and I'm a Camino-alholic...
Hi Mark! I am a Camino-aholic, too. You have a good memory as my friends and I have only 3 months to go before we fly out! We are just now looking at trains to get to Le Puy from CDG.

I wish you well on your Primitivo adventure in September. I walked it with one of my sons in May 2016 and loved it. This time I go with 2 camino girlfriends and I'm sure it will be a very different experience.

Last edited:

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
Chris, thanks about the memory thing, but it is actually listed on your past and current Camino list...haha!

I am lucky, it is my wife that is the logistical wizard. She is an accountant and she does an Excel spread sheet with each days plan, I kid you not! But honestly, she plans so well they are very stress free.

Camino(s) past & future
Chris, thanks about the memory thing, but it is actually listed on your past and current Camino list...haha!

I am lucky, it is my wife that is the logistical wizard. She is an accountant and she does an Excel spread sheet with each days plan, I kid you not! But honestly, she plans so well they are very stress free.
Funny, I normally never see any info on pilgrims except ocassionally where they reside, so now looked mine up. For the first time I clicked on "about" and yes, my caminos showed up, along with some other info on myself. I then clicked on your "about" to see more. Now I know how to do that to maybe learn a little more about other forum members. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Not quite sure, but didn't you start a couple of threads on "favorite camino pictures"? If that was you, they were great threads indeed!

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
Funny, I normally never see any info on pilgrims except ocassionally where they reside, so now looked mine up. For the first time I clicked on "about" and yes, my caminos showed up, along with some other info on myself. I then clicked on your "about" to see more. Now I know how to do that to maybe learn a little more about other forum members. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Not quite sure, but didn't you start a couple of threads on "favorite camino pictures"? If that was you, they were great threads indeed!
Guilty as charged! I think for new members to the site, pictures are very valuable. I think it gives them a better idea and feel for what a Camino offers. I certainly always appreciate when members post their pictures. Often I see pictures from the same exact area I have walked, but somehow something I completely missed.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
did I already mention that Ozymandias is quite undone?
You needn't have mentioned it. Shelley already did.

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck
, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Well I can't stay behind with some cultural input although less high brow than Shelley ;)

Since we started talking about elephants I had to think about this song by the Toy Dolls...Pure fun when I saw them live some years ago...They neither take themselves very serious!

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
If we are going into poetry, here is a little verse, which, in my perception, is in accordance with the Camino Spirit:

Sit thee down and have no shame
Cheek by jowl and knee by knee
What care I for any name
What for order or degree

(From Tennyson’s ‘Visions of Sin’ – I think)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
"What we call the beginning is often the end."
Good idea, Rick. We could always go back to @domigee's first post and see what new frivolity we can come up with...
But hey! So many threads...
About people starting on a first Camino, about people thinking which Camino next? About which/how many different Caminos you can possibly combine...
And should you do it on your own or with a tour?
Which one is best?
And what should you take ? A fleece, no fleece? A sleeping bag, three sleeping bags???
I feel like I am like an alcohol addict in a wine shop!!!
D'you think I may be in the wrong forum?

I shouldn't be here!!! :D:D:D;)
Sure you should, @domigee.
If an alcoholic in a bottle shop, a bull in a china shop, or an elephant in the living room can be here...not to mention all manner of creatures with colourful footgear, why not you?? Besides, we need an arbiter to keep us from getting too serious.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Yes, but they have to be red-backs:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. I like the smiley-faced ones much better, and fortunately their red smiles count too.

And @nycwalking, a teeny tiny small quibble about your post. "Getting?" Hmmmm. We have been pretty silly from the start, right? Or is it just me?

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
@VNwalking, why are the dogs on a bike so bad?
Hahahahahaaaaa, Gary Larson!
Well for starters those guys don't have any socks. Red, Green, blue, puce, or otherwise. Besides, they should be working rather than goofing around~
Capture.PNG

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Leunig is a genius. And his cartoons always make me tear up.

So, shall we just give in and invite the entire ark to walk with us? That would be nice!! But it does mean that @SabineP and @stgcph will be very busy ahead of time with all the socks.

And as a kindness, we'll need to warn @Rebekah Scott a few days ahead of time that all creation will be coming to Peaceable Kingdom. Spiders and ducks can fit in anywhere but she'll need a bit of extra space for the elephants and the giraffes.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
We make red scarfs for the spiders.
Everybody happy ?
Yay. Or leg warmers for these 8-legged dancers? - just like the ones human ballet dancers wear, but a bit smaller.
Socks? I’m not into socks! I’m the one that provide the badges (at a fair price), remember? :p
Ah, sorry, @stgcph , I forgot. Mea culpa.

Camino(s) past & future
Yay. Or leg warmers for these 8-legged dancers? - just like the ones human ballet dancers wear, but a bit smaller.

Ah, sorry, @stgcph , I forgot. Mea culpa.
I think we have to stay with the Scarf thing .
Making legwarmers is far to much work for Sabine , she is doing training walks for here up coming Camino .;)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
ducks. did I not see ducks? well, anyway. Have a look for Leunig. A brilliant cartoonist. Am afraid (yes!) to breach copyright, so just look for Leunig, FEED THE INNER DUCK. And Rick, I hope to note this you have RED this post next time I check in!
Just to show you that I've RED your post see the quote above and:

We live on a river and the mallards Mildred, Gertude, Domenic, Eugene and Trent used to stop by our back door asking for handouts. I guess Gertude is our inner duck because she once accepted an offer to come in. Also, she nested by our front door a couple of times and that spot is now indoors.

I sent a picture of some geese to a friend with a description. He replied back that the description was a poem. I made my description look like a stanza and did a tiny bit of editing to get it into this form:

It's been snowing awhile;
the sleeping geese are turning
into drifts of snow.
There are some on the ice;
the ones floating in the river
are slowly drifting downstream
backwards.

poem-geese-small.jpg

By the way, the picture above was taken from inside.

Camino(s) past & future
Socks? I’m not into socks! I’m the one that provide the badges (at a fair price), remember? :p
This definately made me laugh! And don't worry, I think Kanga has enough red socks for everyone in the club. You just keep working on the badges we all need.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
into drifts of snow.
backwards.
That is waaaay too serious for this goofy thread, but it is also totally wonderful, Rick!
Thank you.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Just to show you that I've RED your post see the quote above and:

We live on a river and the mallards Mildred, Gertude, Domenic, Eugene and Trent used to stop by our back door asking for handouts. I guess Gertude is our inner duck because she once accepted an offer to come in. Also, she nested by our front door a couple of times and that spot is now indoors.

I sent a picture of some geese to a friend with a description. He replied back that the description was a poem. I made my description look like a stanza and did a tiny bit of editing to get it into this form:

into drifts of snow.
backwards.

View attachment 40093

By the way, the picture above was taken from inside.
Well done, well done! You are a sport! as indeed everyone in this madhouse of a thread...lovely being with you all, sight unseen, but hearts well discernible.

Camino(s) past & future
Looks nice , let the questions come .
Ok, Peter: will you... no, it is ok, I have made a copy! And when next I step it out onto "The" Camino, I will sport it on my pack. I had a little pin, but it got lost, so I will see what to do about trying to ensure this one travels with me.

Camino(s) past & future
What a lovely gift @Peter Fransiscus gave me yesterday. Proud owner of the badge.
Ready to go now....
That is so awesome that you even have a RED backpack! Did Peter give you the badge in person? I'm jealous, wrong as it is to feel that way! Bummer that I live across the pond to the west. :(
EDIT- Now wait a minute. Did Peter steal the badge layout from @stgcph ! You all are confusing me, but that's what he gets for not copy writing his design.

Camino(s) past & future
Peter! That really ’rocks’!
Let us know which responses and peculiar looks you get when you hand them out – and which explanation you give :):):)
Will do . Try to laminate more and as for the explanation I have to make a good story . :):)And when Pilgrims are Not so serious they always can be a member .;)

Camino(s) past & future
And I think it is the moment to say: this is not a club. Anybody who is a member, or a guest, can join in. Says I, who just barged in when I felt like it. And I stayed. And it is worth it! you just have to be a little bit mad...
Absolutely true!

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Well Peter,

Since you are handing out badges in person, you are duty bound to purchase an around-the-world ticket and give everyone their badge on their doorstep. Oh, and once on this and that continent you must walk to each person's home donning red socks and all.

Let me know when ticket is purchased and I will pm my address.

Buen camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Well Peter,

Since you are handing out badges in person, you are duty bound to purchase an around-the-world ticket and give everyone their badge on their doorstep. Oh, and once on this and that continent you must walk to each person's home donning red socks and all.

Let me know when ticket is purchased and I will pm my address.

Buen camino.
OK , had to think about this . Found the answer some where in the middle .
But geography wasn’t my strong point at school ;)

We can meet in the middle namely in Santiago .:):)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I'm sitting here chuckling, about 12 hours out of step from the rest of you.
There is so much to like here!
you just have to be a little bit mad...
Who once said, that the distinction between being mad and absolutely brilliant is indeterminable..? (I am sure somebody did..) o_O
Well, there is this:
"Alice tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here.""

(Of course, that's from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.)

Oh is there a point in this all?:cool:
Laughing, chuckling, guffawing, crowing, tittering, grinning, cracking up, convulsing...and all manner of other amusing silliness.

We can meet in the middle namely in Santiago .:):)
Now, THAT is a good idea. Seriously. (Though I really like @nycwalking 's brilliant idea...)

Camino(s) past & future
Haven't had time to 'like' all your won-der-ful comments so apologies, I'm away gallivanting in Spain :cool:
But no worries, I've been busy knitting.... Scarves, socks, mmmm.... hard to tell the difference really :D
:oops:
I was just about to send out the ‘family’ to search for you... they might have enjoyed the ramble, now they need to wait around for their socks and scarves and ... gaiters. Did we remember to mention those to Sabine, I wonder?

Camino(s) past & future
I was just about to send out the ‘family’ to search for you... they might have enjoyed the ramble, now they need to wait around for their socks and scarves and ... gaiters. Did we remember to mention those to Sabine, I wonder?

Well seeing my laptop died on me yesterday ( something with a fluid and clumsiness etc...say no more ) I will have lots of time after work for knitting socks/scarves and gaiters. Hey might even knit a special laptop cover ;):mad::p
Have a wonderful day people ! Like a wise woman in my family always said ( not me ;) ) : take others serious but yourself less so!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Well seeing my laptop died on me yesterday ( something with a fluid and clumsiness etc...say no more )
:eek::oops:Nooooooooooooooooo. One of life's small expensive tragedies. I am sorry to hear that Sabine. These "Oh no" moments when we need a little lightness make the menagerie that much more important. May your elephants bring their friends and kids over to dance for you. That'll surely bring some cheer! Suki.PNG

Camino(s) past & future
Well seeing my laptop died on me yesterday ( something with a fluid and clumsiness etc...say no more ) I will have lots of time after work for knitting socks/scarves and gaiters. Hey might even knit a special laptop cover ;):mad::p
Have a wonderful day people ! Like a wise woman in my family always said ( not me ;) ) : take others serious but yourself less so!
Ah, you poor devil! Any chance of resuscitation? Maybe as much chance as of me finding my house keys. I went out to put something into the boot of the car, and left the house with house and car keys. Came home with car keys, no house keys. Have been round checking and rechecking, no sign whatever of house keys. Relacing your laptop will be much more costly than replacing my house keys. But it is my head I am more worried about! Where was my attention to the present moment then, I ask myself???

Camino(s) past & future
Ah, you poor devil! Any chance of resuscitation? Maybe as much chance as of me finding my house keys. I went out to put something into the boot of the car, and left the house with house and car keys. Came home with car keys, no house keys. Have been round checking and rechecking, no sign whatever of house keys. Relacing your laptop will be much more costly than replacing my house keys. But it is my head I am more worried about! Where was my attention to the present moment then, I ask myself???
Ah Kirkie that is a nuisance! Don't try to worry too much! Hope it will work out for you...
And thank you @VNwalking ...I will send the elephants over to Kirkie if it is ok with you? :)

The laptop not under warranty anymore so I will let my OH take a look at it when he is back home from his work abroad in two weeks time.
Meanwhile I use my old small mini thingy ...

But we have elephants and practically the whole Ark to help us out....!!
And I have my badge to brighten me up...:cool::cool:

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
We can ask Sabine to add gaiters to her knitting repertoire.... but... Will we have any need for them??? The sun always shine on our Caminos :cool:;)
Mmmm....I'll keep on thinking that.... (Got drenched walking yesterday :rolleyes: And in a place where it seldom rains - Alicante :D Got caught out like novices o_O)

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
I'm sitting here chuckling, about 12 hours out of step from the rest of you.
There is so much to like here!

Well, there is this:
"Alice tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here.""

(Of course, that's from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.)

Laughing, chuckling, guffawing, crowing, tittering, grinning, cracking up, convulsing...and all manner of other amusing silliness.

Now, THAT is a good idea. Seriously. (Though I really like @nycwalking 's brilliant idea...)
a thousand likes...:D

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Live - Camino Portugues It begins
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%