• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not another book about the Camino!

Graeme Cook

Time of past OR future Camino
23 April to 28 May 2022
Mrs C and I completed the Camino Frances, from SJPdP, in May of this year. It was a hugely enjoyable experience, so much so that I was inspired to write a book about it and self-published my effort this last week. We had a lot of laughs along the way, washed down with the occasional beer. And then another one.

I know that this writing-a-book-about-the-Camino malarkey is a fairly crowded field nowadays but if anyone is inclined to read it then I hope that you enjoy it. It is available in e-book and paperback formats through Amazon. Link below

Amazon link to book

1663415231241.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mrs C and I completed the Camino Frances, from SJPdP, in May of this year. It was a hugely enjoyable experience, so much so that I was inspired to write a book about it and self-published my effort this last week. We had a lot of laughs along the way, washed down with the occasional beer. And then another one.

I know that this writing-a-book-about-the-Camino malarkey is a fairly crowded field nowadays but if anyone is inclined to read it then I hope that you enjoy it. It is available in e-book and paperback formats through Amazon. Link below

Amazon link to book

View attachment 133146
Best of luck with it. Very similar looking to my book from a few years ago:
D8B536A6-1F69-4F97-BA73-25D9AA126E39.jpeg

Best of luck with it. Very similar looking to my book from a few years ago: View attachment 133151
Thank you. And yes, it is indeed a very similar cover. I took around 1500 pictures during the course of our Camino and it was this one, of the long shadows, that I thought best suited the book. It was taken as we were walking out of Vilar de Mazarife in the early morning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just out of interest Graham; what’s the rough cost of a self-published print run?
Self publishing via Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) is free. You set your own price (within KDP parameters) for e-book, paperback and hard cover and Amazon pay you a royalty on sales. For the paperback and hard cover versions Amazon simply print to order. You can order in author copies at print cost. I hadn’t previously done anything like this before but it was all fairly straightforward. Link KDP Amazon

Amazon link to book

View attachment 133146

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi thanks for the details re your book - always good to read Camino personal experiences -just finished this delightful read also found it on Amazon
1663447429140.jpeg

Self publishing via Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) is free. You set your own price (within KDP parameters) for e-book, paperback and hard cover and Amazon pay you a royalty on sales. For the paperback and hard cover versions Amazon simply print to order. You can order in author copies at print cost. I hadn’t previously done anything like this before but it was all fairly straightforward. Link KDP Amazon
Whilst I’m sure your magnum opus is splendid, the lack of cost up-front does explain the proliferation of (excuse me bring explicit) absolute rubbish which is ‘published’. At one time one had to convince a publisher; and I had thought that the ‘vanity publishing’ sector at least required the aspiring author to dip into their savings. Sadly not.

I’ve ordered one of yours; so I expect that in a land far away some collosal printing-and-binding machine is starting to warm up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congrats on both your walk and your book. Two great accomplishments. I, too, self-published my experience on the Camino Frances into book form and had no problem putting it on Amazon. After 1.5 months "live" I am very happy with the results and I hope you will be too.
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hi

Just finished this book - worth a read - enjoy also avail through Amazon
Yes, we too took tons of photos which friends surprisingly didn’t want to see - 1,648 photos are too many? Pshaw! Here’s to strong sales!
No never tooo many photos - Its ok if friends and family get a little bored looking at all the pics - make a good DVD can be enjoyed at ones leisure-

Completed our second Camino in May 2022 and planing our 3rd in 2023, my husband in his 84th year and I in my 81st year .

Yes we will again and take toooo many photos and make yet another DVD

HHR

Whilst I’m sure your magnum opus is splendid, the lack of cost up-front does explain the proliferation of (excuse me bring explicit) absolute rubbish which is ‘published’. At one time one had to convince a publisher; and I had thought that the ‘vanity publishing’ sector at least required the aspiring author to dip into their savings. Sadly not.

I’ve ordered one of yours; so I expect that in a land far away some collosal printing-and-binding machine is starting to warm up.
You’re not wrong. There is plenty of opportunity to put rubbish out there. I will keep fingers crossed that you find mine warrants a description somewhat better than that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I must check this book out! (Sarah's as well) I am a collector of Camino books on my Kindle and I enjoy reading the perspective of others and comparing it with what I saw myself.

Wow. I hope that I am still going strong on the Camino in my 84th year. Just another 20 to go!
On our way again . confirming our start Sept 9th 2023 - walking Camino Frances for 3rd time
we will again be the slowest walkers on the Camino (81 and 84 years of age.) hope to see you there - smile and say hello ...

HRH - NSW Aus

Wow. I hope that I am still going strong on the Camino in my 84th year. Just another 20 to go!

On our way again . confirming our start Sept 9th 2023 - walking Camino Frances for 3rd time
we will again be the slowest walkers on the Camino (81 and 84 years of age.) hope to see you there - smile and say hello ...

HRH - NSW Aus
Hi there - I noticed you are from the Central Coast. We live in Pretty Beach on the Bouddi Peninsula - almost neighbours - though at the moment we are living in France.

You are an inspiration. I would like to think my husband and I will still be walking caminos when we reach our 80s. Buen camino to you both.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I somehow found this book on Kindle Unlimited and I'm about 40% in, found myself giggling away. Very enjoyable thank you, hope you write another (or maybe you have?) My husband always says I should write a book, the subject would be completely different but its something I've thought about doing. Its just getting started!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.