• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not as exciting!

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
Here is my curiosity for this Sunday day! 😊 We all have different tastes, different allocated time and different goals for the camino. And some no goals at all! I hear a lot said about the cities that were so amazing and that they wish they had given more time to that stage, like the espiritual variante, etc... Here is the reverse.
Now reflecting over your stages on the CP which part(City) you liked the least and thought you should have gave that extra time to the next (or other) village. Or even which stage you wish you skipped and why? Eventhough i realize this can be a matter of personal experience and taste.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish my knees had been feeling cooperative so that on my inland Portuguese trek I could have walked on another few kms past the one Albergues on the highway at Albergaria-a-Nova. Reviews since I stayed are pretty uniformly awful. Would definitely walk to the Catholic Refugio at Pinheiro da Bemposta (and other places there have good reviews too).
Also: wish I had stayed in Mealhada on my first night instead of walking further on to Sarnadelo -- which was very much a truck-stop. It "saved" me only about 1.8 kms on the next day and I paid in terms of amenities, interest etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is my curiosity for this Sunday day! 😊 We all have different tastes, different allocated time and different goals for the camino. And some no goals at all! I hear a lot said about the cities that were so amazing and that they wish they had given more time to that stage, like the espiritual variante, etc... Here is the reverse.
Now reflecting over your stages on the CP which part(City) you liked the least and thought you should have gave that extra time to the next (or other) village. Or even which stage you wish you skipped and why? Eventhough i realize this can be a matter of personal experience and taste.
Always better to concentrate on the positive I think...stages are so much more than the place, they're the company, they're a bird that lingered in a tree just long enough singing that you noticed and are convinced its singing to you!... Just my advice, but why search for something you wish you avoided (when you didn't)...just my thoughts...
A long stretch is remembered for years to come as that "long day, we were so tired but remember that man who offered us figs?"...I think the longer days, the harder days have more opportunity for simple good things to come forward.
With that said I'm dreaming ALL things camino right now, so unicorns and rainbows are all I see at the moment as I ignore the rest of my life-lol

I neither wished to have skipped a part of the CP ( I had to skip some kilometers on the CF but that was another story ).
You might be walking on a not so inspiring road and then out of the blue there is that café where the bartender gives you a wonderful smile . And the coffee lifts you up!
You find the albergue in a town full and then by chance you meet up with that pilgrim you did not see for three days and you decide to share a room in a hostal.
The restaurant at the trucktstop where everyone greets you when you enter and they suggest you the specialties of the house.

EDIt : there is excitement in the ordinary. Or the Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Last edited:
I wish my knees had been feeling cooperative so that on my inland Portuguese trek I could have walked on another few kms past the one Albergues on the highway at Albergaria-a-Nova. Reviews since I stayed are pretty uniformly awful. Would definitely walk to the Catholic Refugio at Pinheiro da Bemposta (and other places there have good reviews too).
Also: wish I had stayed in Mealhada on my first night instead of walking further on to Sarnadelo -- which was very much a truck-stop. It "saved" me only about 1.8 kms on the next day and I paid in terms of amenities, interest etc.
More opportunity for additional explorations in the future with the experience you learned.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's the journey for me... each part is a portion of the whole. Without the bad experiences (rare), I'd maybe fail to appreciate how wonderful some of the other experiences were.
Addressing the question: purely a matter of taste, but that first leg leaving Leon is forgettable. The first two legs leaving Lisboa on the CP are also on my "do not repeat" list. Generally, any leg taking me through an industrial district is on my "taking the bad with the good" list. It's unavoidable if you wish to complete the whole journey.

Buen Camino

It's the journey for me... each part is a portion of the whole. Without the bad experiences (rare), I'd maybe fail to appreciate how wonderful some of the other experiences were.
Addressing the question: purely a matter of taste, but that first leg leaving Leon is forgettable. The first two legs leaving Lisboa on the CP are also on my "do not repeat" list. Generally, any leg taking me through an industrial district is on my "taking the bad with the good" list. It's unavoidable if you wish to complete the whole journey.

Buen
Yes. I will start from Porto but like you i heard people not so excited about that first part there of leaving Lisbon like you said. Nice to be able to choose which ones to repeat and which ones to avoid. Specially for those that go totally uninformed or unprepared not knowing if they will face hills, flat surface, traffic or nature... for example i already know that i will want to avoid the industrial part towards o Porrino and choose to go close to the river... i am sure i will face different challenges in any path but some i can avoid. No need for me to look for and walk constantly on traffic, if i dont enjoy that and if i could sometimes have the choice to just turn towards the river. Or for some that keep sleeping in bigger cities if they like smaller ones. Even though i know the experience will be beautiful no matter where i walk and my body tells me i can go. But when i can i just like to put the cherry on the cake. 😊
From the pictures i already know that the variante espiritual will be in my repeat bucket for sure!

Last edited:
Hi Faye! Good Day!! Please am trying to understand you calling Mealhada your first stop (?) means you started around 20-25 km south that morning ? Possibly Coimbra as the start of your CP? Had you walked the section Lisbon to ( assuming ) Coimbra stretch on a previous camino and were back the 2nd time ?
Very Best.
Capt Bonnie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Faye! Good Day!! Please am trying to understand you calling Mealhada your first stop (?) means you started around 20-25 km south that morning ? Possibly Coimbra as the start of your CP? Had you walked the section Lisbon to ( assuming ) Coimbra stretch on a previous camino and were back the 2nd time ?
Very Best.
Capt Bonnie

Yes. I began in Coimbra. This was my first CP, and I am unlikely to do the Lisbon start unless I can find a walking partner for that stretch. I will be returning (all things permitting) to the CP in May of 2022 with my step-sister, and again to the CP in May of 22 with my childhood friend, but each walk will be on a different section from Porto Northward.

I chose Coimbra because of the town's history, because it was a walkable distance to SdC in 17 days, and because my original pan was the central route from Coimbra to Porto and then coastal from Porto to Caminha, then heading either on the spiritual or turning inward again... but the weather pushed us all inland at Porto because of unseasonably high winds on the coast, and torrential rain. The rain stayed with us on the inland route (there were even some detours due to mud-slides) but nobody risked being swept off the boardwalk and out to sea.

That's a tough one!

When I was walking from Via Chã to Vila do Conde, I accidentally switched from the Senda Litoral to the Coastal. It was a lot of cobblestones and certainly not my favourite part of that Camino. But if I had not made that wrong turn, I would have missed the church with the waterspout pictured below.

Were I to do it again, I might sacrifice seeing Caldas de Reis in order to walk the Variante Espiritual. Not because I was unhappy with Caldas de Reis, but because I've heard such glowing reports of the VE. I might also head west to the coast when I got to Valença/Tui to pick up the Coastal route in Spain. Again, not because I was unhappy with the route I walked but because I've heard that the Coastal route in Spain is spectacular.

What I saw on my accidental diversion:
20181002_090019.jpg

Addressing the question: purely a matter of taste, but that first leg leaving Leon is forgettable. The first two legs leaving Lisboa on the CP are also on my "do not repeat" list. Generally, any leg taking me through an industrial district is on my "taking the bad with the good" list.
Agree completely. However, on the way out of Leon, take left right after La Virgen del Camino for the alternative route via Villar de Mazarife and next day to Hospital de Orbigo: A peaceful, easy alternative. I will take that alternative each time. Never again being a "Highway Man"! And I no longer worry about leaving Leon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a tough one!

When I was walking from Via Chã to Vila do Conde, I accidentally switched from the Senda Litoral to the Coastal. It was a lot of cobblestones and certainly not my favourite part of that Camino. But if I had not made that wrong turn, I would have missed the church with the waterspout pictured below.

Were I to do it again, I might sacrifice seeing Caldas de Reis in order to walk the Variante Espiritual. Not because I was unhappy with Caldas de Reis, but because I've heard such glowing reports of the VE. I might also head west to the coast when I got to Valença/Tui to pick up the Coastal route in Spain. Again, not because I was unhappy with the route I walked but because I've heard that the Coastal route in Spain is spectacular.

View attachment 104672
I should have looked up, I would still be there rolling on the ground laughing, Good share!

Agree completely. However, on the way out of Leon, take left right after La Virgen del Camino for the alternative route via Villar de Mazarife and next day to Hospital de Orbigo: A peaceful, easy alternative. I will take that alternative each time. Never again being a "Highway Man"! And I no longer worry about leaving Leon.
I started to continue down the highway after La Virgen, but it was being very heavily traveled and I thought that this couldn't possibly be the official route. After about 1KM, I consulted my guidebook and realized I had missed the (alternate) route to Vilar de Mazarife. Turned around and went back until I found the left turn to VdM that I had missed. The sign to VdM had been partially obscured by yellow paint which I later discovered was a misguided attempt by some of the highway businesses to keep us pilgrims headed their direction and away from VdM. One learns interesting lessons on these walks.

That's a tough one!

View attachment 104672
Btw very creative composition. 💕 as we discuss more i keep thinking in my head that i will probably see this CP a few times. I can feel this is not going to be a quick romance! Lol

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back