• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not Drinking and Meals

CKA1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hi,

How common is it to go to a restaurant in the smaller centers and get bottles of Coke or Pepsi, or other regional soft drinks? I'm a non drinker and don't want to be stuck with drinking water or coffee all the time. Sometimes I just need a hit of highly concentrated sugar, much as many people like an espresso.

Also, in a restaurant, are most tapas and basic meals cooked in or including an alcoholic sauce? I am allergic not just to the alcohol, but some of the chemical components. That's why I can't have a n/a Beck's or a steak with a red wine reduction. Even though they might not actually contain alcohol, it's certain chemicals in the liquid I'm not able to eat or drink. Is it possible to ask if a food contains or did contain alcohol? Is it rude to not eat something if I'm suspicious about it? My Spanish is non-existent, and I'm not sure how to ask without seeming too picky. If a place is hostile about it, is it really rude to just pay my bill and leave?

C.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That makes sense.

Culturally, is it rude to ask? I know when I go to Toronto, I go to some fairly high end restaurants where there is for example, a "jus", but I will always ask about my specific concerns. Is that considered rude in Spain? I'm not going to ask at a Pilgrim's meal (I would just avoid it if I wasn't sure), but in a regular restaurant can I ask?

Also, I've got to ask, if I were to order a bottle of Coke or a glass of juice in a restaurant, about what does it cost? I get the impression that wine is extremely cheap, but it's not common to ask for a soft drink?

C.

I wouldn't be concerned about appearing to be rude. You have legitimate health concerns and that should be respected. Can't help you re the cost of soft drinks, I stick to coffee & wine!

@CKA 1, I don't drink and enjoy Cas Limon all along the way; it's cheap and pretty universal. And very good. An 'adult' soft drink.
Don't know about manners (in terms of your query) but the card is a good idea--you can also mention it's a medical thing; people will understand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not familiar with that one. Is it like a limoncello?
Limoncello is an alcoholic drink. Kaz Limon is a lemon-flavoured soda, without alcohol. Bitter Kaz is like a non-alcoholic campari.

When you order a menu de peregrino (pilgrim's meal) or a menu de dia (daily special), you will be asked if you want wine or water (agua)-- just say that you want a coke or a kaz limon or whatever soft drink you prefer. Many Spaniards are either non-drinkers or only drink on Sundays or family dinners, so waiters will be accustomed to this. As for wine in sauces, it is rare in Spanish cooking. In any case, just have your meat or fish grilled (a la plancha). Some stews will have wine, so just get out a little card, as others have suggested, and ask if there be wine in the stew.

Soft drinks on their own are usually a euro, or 1.50, or something like that. If you are in a cafe, drinks are always pricier at your seat than standing at the bar, but not by that much.

Don't know limoncello...but Kas limon (not 'cas'...my mistake) is a sparkling not-too-sweet soda with some lemon juice and a sweet/sour/bitter taste. Not at all like the lemon-lime sodas in the states.

Ok. I was thinking of the sparkling lemon drink by San Pelligrino. Had it in my head it was called limoncella, but I must have my terms wrong.

I'll have to learn some basic Spanish.

C.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, it is not impolite to ask for a soft drink in Spain, or "agua (water) por favor". Besides "coca cola (coke) and the popular Aquarius, many Spaniards mix their wine with "Casera", a sugary fizzy drink.
Concerning food "spiced" with alcohol, things could be complicated. The waiter will probably not know the cook's recipes, and in a popular restaurante (the type favored by the notoriously stingy pilgrims) he/she will be attending eight tables and twenty persons at once, so you will receive a very fleeting attention. So, you basically will be on your own. Spain is a wine country. Many kind of stews have "just a little" alcohol, and they will not be considered as "alcoholic food".
So, to be (almost) sure, you can always order grilled meat, salades and soups. As for desserts, this will be a "unsafe" area to you (even if it is ice cream); stay with fruits or yohgurt. And avoid "café irlandés" (Irish coffee).
Buen camino!

I don't drink alcohol at all and I have done my caminos on coke, kaz (same as fanta), Aquarius (sports drink that is re-hydrating), water and some other sodas.

You will never ever see anything served with a sauce at least not as pilgrims menu. But on the ordinary menu they usually states if there is salsa and if it contains cider, wine or beer). Avoid stews as they contains wine quite often. Fish served with sauce is often a white wine sauce.

But do as I have done. I have a card with all allergies and common products that contains them. Had a friend of mine who is fluent in Spanish to translate. I show the card if I'm unsure what the food contains. Most of the times there is no problem at all.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have Direct Orders from my novia that I am not to return from the Camino this Fall without Kas Limon. We can not get anything similar to it in US. Not sure why but it is better than our soft drinks.

Allergies---Traveled for a few days in 2014 with a woman who drove cooks crazy at all stops with her three page list of things she MIGHT be allergic to. Wondered just how she was alive as it appeared she could not eat ANYTHING! She finally quit walking and went home. Oh, and she also had an electronic device that she plugged in and attached to her skin to rebuild bone loss suffered while hiking. Believe it worked by Magic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have Direct Orders from my novia that I am not to return from the Camino this Fall without Kas Limon. We can not get anything similar to it in US. Not sure why but it is better than our soft drinks.
*snip*

It has far less sugar than North American soft drinks. A friend in Toronto, faced with a similar direction from his partner, tells me that a reasonable substitute can be made with soda water, lemon juice, and a small amount of simple sugar syrup or cane sugar syrup. He tried the San Pellegrino lemon soda for a while, but it turns out that his partner prefers the home-made version of Kaz Limon. Kaz Limon used to be available through la Tienda's online shop, but is no longer so.

However, the original poster should take comfort in knowing that, while in Spain much wine is taken, much wine is not taken as well, and he won't stand out.

Anything that might be cooked with alcohol (few items) the alcohol is all gone... Evaporated.
Lots a luck.
Hi,

How common is it to go to a restaurant in the smaller centers and get bottles of Coke or Pepsi, or other regional soft drinks? I'm a non drinker and don't want to be stuck with drinking water or coffee all the time. Sometimes I just need a hit of highly concentrated sugar, much as many people like an espresso.

Also, in a restaurant, are most tapas and basic meals cooked in or including an alcoholic sauce? I am allergic not just to the alcohol, but some of the chemical components. That's why I can't have a n/a Beck's or a steak with a red wine reduction. Even though they might not actually contain alcohol, it's certain chemicals in the liquid I'm not able to eat or drink. Is it possible to ask if a food contains or did contain alcohol? Is it rude to not eat something if I'm suspicious about it? My Spanish is non-existent, and I'm not sure how to ask without seeming too picky. If a place is hostile about it, is it really rude to just pay my bill and leave?

C.

The Spanish are fairly laid back people and very hospitable. They don't seem to be particularly fussy about stuff. So don't worry about asking about what is in a dish - the waiter may not know, but that doesn't mean you can't ask :) Be wary of the soups and stews, which could have some wine in the broth. Don't worry about asking for a soft-drink - even in places with a set menu for Menu del Dia or a Pilgrims menu, they will always accommodate you - you might have to pay extra for a drink not on the set menu, but not always. Kas, Aquarius, and Fanta are very common. Coke is also pretty ubiquitous. Then there are a variety of juices - usually fresh squeezed OJ and also a variety of bottled and boxed juices. In most bars, you'll see the type of canned and bottled drinks on a shelf. And if you want something warm that isn't coffee, you can pretty much always find tea or Colacao, which is a chocolate powder (kind of like Nestle Quick) you put in hot milk for hot chocolate. Sometimes you'll find really good hot chocolate too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How common is it to go to a restaurant in the smaller centers and get bottles of Coke or Pepsi, or other regional soft drinks?

Extremely common. In all the lunches and dinners I have shared with fellow pilgrims I would say that, on average: 40% chose to go with wine, 40% with water, and 20% with a coke or other soft drink.

Note for those on a budget: any drinks not included in the pilgrim’s menu, or menu of the day (e.g. coca cola, aquarius, orange juice), are usually charged extra.

Jill

Don't know limoncello...but Kas limon (not 'cas'...my mistake) is a sparkling not-too-sweet soda with some lemon juice and a sweet/sour/bitter taste. Not at all like the lemon-lime sodas in the states.
Hi
The limoncello that I know , has some vodka on it -- Kas is soooo Good ! I like it! Next time that I go there I will bring some with me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Budget is relative. I am allergic not just to alcohol, but sometimes to the chemical components. For example I don't drink red grape juice, but I can have white grape juice without trouble.

I'm thinking in places where I can't be sure about ingredients, I can cook my own supper.

C.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

C.
It had been a bad year for bedbugs when we walked the Frances. So I asked my daughter Zoe who is fluent in Spanish to write a card like the one people have suggested for you, asking if the albergue was free of bedbugs. Zoe laughed and said, "Sure, but in Spanish even to say something rude takes a lot of words." But we carried our card with its question (which in Spanish took three times as many sentences as in English) and managed never to cause offense. So I am sure this would work for you and protect your health. With the huge traffic along the Frances, every local along the way is very familiar with foreigners who don't speak the language, and used to dealing with them.

Pilgrim menu typically offers things that are fried or grilled (a la placha). Fat chance getting a lovely sauce you might me allergic to ;).

Be aware, there is something out there refered to as "gaseosa". It's a fizzy transparent drink that is tremedously sweet. Spaniards use it mixed in with red wine :eek:. I have been know to walk into a grocery store and buy it by mistake when I meant to buy water.

i walked the frances sober and found that there are many options....although the say its the worlds longest bar crawl...

@CKA 1, I don't drink and enjoy Cas Limon all along the way; it's cheap and pretty universal. And very good. An 'adult' soft drink.

Omg I got HOOKED on KAS Limon on the Camino. Most places have it. It's like sparkling water with lemon juice. Very refreshing and not too sweet. Some places have Fanta Limon, but that is more like a sweet pop. Every where i asked had st least heard of KAS Limon, and most had it. Even a tiny little store I found in the middle of nowhere. Another nice drink is the Aquarius. Kind of a lower-cal, not too sweet Gatorade.

Are soft drinks typically served by the can, the bottle, growler style or on a fountain wand? What does say, a 12 ounce can cost compared to a 12 ounce fountain drink?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

C.
also take some vitamin c powder to add to your water bottle...lightweight and cheap

Persnickety folk will discover that Kaz Limon is sold in 330ml tins, just over 11.15 US ounces (11.6 ounces for the three Canadians still using the imperial system). Tonic water is usually sold in 250ml tins for some reason (I find iced tonic water on its own refreshing, and have seen Spaniards order it).

I tried to make a Kaz Limon knockoff last night, and found the juice of a lemon stirred into a tablespoon of cane syrup, and then topped up with soda water, worked well. A second variation, with just a teaspoon, was less sweet.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anything you're likely to order on a pilgrim's menu is unlikely to have wine or alcohol in it. Mostly it will be olive oil based, fried in olive oil or the like. Lentils (lentejas) and other legume dishes such as garbanzos (chickpeas) or alubias rojas (red beans) etc. do not contain alcohol in the broth. They're usually heavy on the ham or pork! Perhaps steer clear of beef dishes that say "guisado" or "estofado", as these may have red wine in the base of the broth, though not always.

If you get something that has a broth and you want to ask whether or not alcohol has been used in the preparation of the food, you can simply ask "¿Hay vino o alcohol en el caldo? No lo puedo tomar. Es que soy alérgico." (Is there wine or alcohol in the broth? I can't have any. I'm allergic to it.)

Type that into Google translate and practice the pronunciation. Good luck!

Bars, restaurants and similar establishments are required by law to provide info about possible allergens (there's a list of them) on the food (and drinks?) they offer. I don't know exactly what chemical components of the wine are you allergic to. One of them might be sulfites and they are among the allergens on the list. Be aware sulfites can be found not just in wine but in other foods too. That's why it's relevant to ask not (just) if wine was used to cook a dish but also about the specific allergens that could make you sick.

In order to ask about it, if you aren't fluent in Spanish, the easiest approach would be, as other users already suggested you, to make a card (or a letter) in Spanish including all the specific allergens that can make you sick, explicitly stating that you can't take any of them and politely asking what of the food on offer doesn't include any of those allergens.

You may ask too if they have a carta (list of available dishes including the price of each one) including allergens' info but in that case you would need to ask the waiter/waitress for the Spanish name of the ones you can't take -or for their picture symbol on the carta- (or just order dishes without any allergen quoted). And you would need to check later with the waiter/waitress about alcohol because, AFAIK, alcohol, as such, isn't on the list of allergens.

To ask isn't rude. And you can ask wherever you want (it doesn't matter if it's an expensive restaurant or a cheap one). However, you must be aware the waiter/waitress may not be an expert on allergens so they could struggle if you had an allergy to something not on the list of allergens.

Spaniards use it mixed in with red wine :eek:.

...with bad, cheap, red wine.

...with bad, cheap, red wine.

Well, I still have not tasted a bad red wine in Spain. Young, local ones, yes, they are quite customary in restaurants along the Camino; but actually I came to appreciate them.
To be sure, I am not knowledgeable enough about wine issues (but you can ask me about tequilas;)).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Translation card is the way to go! I used one in Spain and all the hosts I stayed with were patient and respectful of my limited Spanish. Definitely make sure that the card includes the fact that you're allergic, that it's not just a preference.

Buen Camino!

We walk with children who drank coke every day ranging from 1.50 to 2.00 euro. I myself don't drink alcohol and had no prob. Most places we ate in we asked for an English menu and the waiter waitress were always very helpful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yh

Allergies---Traveled for a few days in 2014 with a woman who drove cooks crazy at all stops with her three page list of things she MIGHT be allergic to. Wondered just how she was alive as it appeared she could not eat ANYTHING! She finally quit walking and went home. Oh, and she also had an electronic device that she plugged in and attached to her skin to rebuild bone loss suffered while hiking. Believe it worked by Magic.
That's really silly, since weight bearing exercise is supposed to be good for strengthening bones

Budget is relative. I am allergic not just to alcohol, but sometimes to the chemical components. For example I don't drink red grape juice, but I can have white grape juice without trouble.

I'm thinking in places where I can't be sure about ingredients, I can cook my own supper.

C.
We have a problem with some additives in food (disodium di and tri-phosphate - E450 and 451). With drinks we check the bottle/can of soft drinks before they are opened and no-one minds. Coca-cola 'normal' has sugar which is OK for us, the others have sweetners (endulcientes) which we cannot tolerate, specifically aspartame and acesculfame (E950 and 951).
For other chemicals it is worth checking out their 'E-numbers' - there are sites which will tell you the number of any ingredient so you can avoid them on packed food and also learn the Spanish name and write it down.

We have less problem with food and meals in Spain than at home and for drinks 'Zumo natural' is fresh squeezed orange, which is our favourite.
Hope that helps

The Coca Cola in Spain is delicious. I drank water with meals, while walking, and in the evening, coffee on early breaks and coke on late morning/afternoon breaks. During the day I usually ate bread, cheese and chocolate and had the Pilgrim's meal at night. Accidentally consuming alcohol was never a threat and I am very picky. A card never hurts but I doubt that you will need it.

That makes sense.

Culturally, is it rude to ask? I know when I go to Toronto, I go to some fairly high end restaurants where there is for example, a "jus", but I will always ask about my specific concerns. Is that considered rude in Spain? I'm not going to ask at a Pilgrim's meal (I would just avoid it if I wasn't sure), but in a regular restaurant can I ask?

Also, I've got to ask, if I were to order a bottle of Coke or a glass of juice in a restaurant, about what does it cost? I get the impression that wine is extremely cheap, but it's not common to ask for a soft drink?

C.
I think that wherever you are, if your demeanour and voice are respectful and kind, without hostility, no one will take offence. You received some excellent advice and preparing a card is very sensible. Buen Camino

no fountain drinks. mostly in 12 oz can
I think the cans are closer to 11 ounces as many are only 330ml.

FWIW we paid anywhere from 1 to 2.5 Euro for a can of Kaz, most places were 1 to 1.5 Euro. But a couple places were more expensive. Personally I preferred Aquarius Limon, far less acidic and non-carbonated.

Coca Cola was 1.5 to 2.5 Euro for a small bottle or can.

We also bought a 1 liter box of wine at a grocery store, it was only 0.62 Euro!

Hi,

C.

Don't worry about the language.
The Basque speak different from Galicians and likewise in-between.
90% speak english
Coke, Zas [Lemon] ***Aquarius [ Lemon or natural ] will get you to the finish
Don't worry about food Ck as the only use fresh ingredient from the garden
You will not see a Macca's or Kentucky Chook .

This walk you are going on is very western orientated , been around a few 100 years and is in sections very commercial.
By the time you reach Pamplona , 3rd or 4th day , if you are still alive mate....i smile ..... you will be assured.
Buen Camino and don't complicate things too much.
The Camino has a habit of looking after people of all ages and nationalities with every condition known to man.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Those of us with allergies have to be careful. It isn't about being fussy/picky or wanting home type food/or not. for example, I cannot drink many of the types of Coca Cola because they have artificial sweeteners in them which make me very ill, I have to ask for Coca Cola Normál and always check it is still with sugar.
@CKA1 - can you tell us exactly what you are allergic to as it might help with the answers you are getting.

Hi,

C.
Good Morning!
While walking I ask for and usually receive "coca cola zero". I am diabetic and have never had a problem getting diet drinks. I never(almost never) have wine until the days walking is done.
Sparkling water with lemon is a nice option also. Readily available in most cafés. You usually have to ask for ice as it is generally not offered.
Regards
Jim

I don't drink alcohol, and walked several different Caminos w/o problem. In my experience, as most have said, it's easy to get soft drinks but you will pay for them on top of the price of a menu del perigrino (or dia, etc). It's not expensive but will add up for someone on a tight budget. Oddly, in Zubiri those who had wine with their pilgrims meal got a pitcher of water also, while I, drinking only water, got just one glass. :) I didn't notice many places wine might sneak into cooking, but I did tend to go for grilled trout so...and alcohol does tend to cook off during preparation
If it's necessary that no alcohol ever touched the food go with grilled--I explained very carefully my desire for a vegetarian dish once, he said he understood. And it arrived with ham. Considering US servers also make similar mistakes, I understand the problem in a different language. But I just don't like meat, it's not for health or religious reasons.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't drink alcohol, and walked several different Caminos w/o problem. In my experience, as most have said, it's easy to get soft drinks but you will pay for them on top of the price of a menu del perigrino (or dia, etc). It's not expensive but will add up for someone on a tight budget. Oddly, in Zubiri those who had wine with their pilgrims meal got a pitcher of water also, while I, drinking only water, got just one glass. :) I didn't notice many places wine might sneak into cooking, but I did tend to go for grilled trout so...and alcohol does tend to cook off during preparation
If it's necessary that no alcohol ever touched the food go with grilled--I explained very carefully my desire for a vegetarian dish once, he said he understood. And it arrived with ham. Considering US servers also make similar mistakes, I understand the problem in a different language. But I just don't like meat, it's not for health or religious reasons.

The waiter likely understood your request. A friend of mine ordered green beans, clearly indicating she was vegetarian and had the same experience. Her Castilian was good and she asked the waiter what had happened, and he replied that it was just for flavouring. Recounting this to Spanish friends, one said "of course!" and the other thought he should have double-checked and thought that in Madrid he would have done so.

The waiter likely understood your request. A friend of mine ordered green beans, clearly indicating she was vegetarian and had the same experience. Her Castilian was good and she asked the waiter what had happened, and he replied that it was just for flavouring. Recounting this to Spanish friends, one said "of course!" and the other thought he should have double-checked and thought that in Madrid he would have done so.

Way back in another century I walked through Norfolk during Holy Week on a student pilgrimage. Some kind ladies in one village had prepared an evening meal for about 20 of us. Shepherd's Pie for the majority. They had thoughtfully cooked a vegetarian option too - which was chicken. The lady who had chosen the menu genuinely believed that "meat" meant something with four legs and that chicken did not count as such. She had some difficulty in understanding the concept of vegetarianism as explained (very politely) by our footsore conscientious objectors.

In Iraq, I would walk through the DFAC line with the Iraqi pilots in my squadron, helping them navigate around dishes containing pork (for instance, most of us expect pork with beans...they did not)...sometimes it seemed the cooks went out of their way to put it in dishes. I half expected to find it sprinkled on the oatmeal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.