• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not enough Scots on the Camino

Jhim

Time of past OR future Camino
St James
I have just returned from a 2 week Camino from Santo Domingo to Rabanal. Walking in 37C is difficult for people north of Hadrian's wall. Come to think of it, the way is not well known in Scotland at all. It was wonderful to meet so many nice people on the way and this wee movie has many clips of the lovely people you come across. Part2 -Rabanal to Santiago is now on the forum and YouTube.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have just returned from a 2 week hike from Santo Domingo to Rabanal. Walking in 37C is difficult for people north of Hadrian's wall. Come to think of it, the way is not well known in Scotland at all. It was wonderful to meet so many nice people on the way and this wee movie has many clips of the lovely people you come across.
Heh, Jimmy, see you, son, ye done great!
I absolutely loved your video. You are clearly blessed with a wonderful disposition. I agree, there are not too many Scots on the Camino. Whenever I meet one, which is very rarely, it is a great moment. This year I met one who had known someone I knew,. Long sad story, but another one of those coincidences on the Camino of life. I will look forward to your sequel. Buen camino, an gaun yersel!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have just returned from a 2 week hike from Santo Domingo to Rabanal. Walking in 37C is difficult for people north of Hadrian's wall. Come to think of it, the way is not well known in Scotland at all. It was wonderful to meet so many nice people on the way and this wee movie has many clips of the lovely people you come across.
Jim,you crazy Scot,I love your 'wee movie' especially as I appear in it.It was great fun with you and Kitty.Hope we meet again one day. Philip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe there should be some sort of Scots "Affirmative Action" program to get more of you all on the Camino. Not sure what it would consist of, though, although I have some thoughts. LOL

Jim,you crazy Scot,I love your 'wee movie' especially as I appear in it.It was great fun with you and Kitty.Hope we meet again one day. Philip.

Philip: Remember, I told you to watch out for this. Last I heard, Kitty was to arrive Santiago yesterday. Again, happy Birthday, and the Rioja was great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I followed Harris-islander @aquabilly on the Levante/Sureste a few years ago. A couple of times, glancing through the visitors' book, I noticed the hospitalero had described his nationality as "Inglés", which he had firmly crossed out and substituted "Escocés". Quite right too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You're right mate, definitely not enough scots on the Camino. Loved your video. Cheers.wild

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Lovely video, thanks so much for sharing! Loved all the flowers and the smiling faces. :)

So good ...well done u...i had the black toe thing but not the knee swelling ...trust that sorted itself out. I didnt meet any scots or english...but 3 irish...apparently the issuing point for the credential in dublin is the Guinness brewery! As one typically put "its a long start". Boing camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I interviewed a chap from Aberdeen who had done the Camino Frances previously.

He enjoyed it so much he is walking from Sarria to Santiago with his Dad this year, so there will be two more 'sweatys' on the Way mate!! ;)

This Scot has just booked a flight for his third Camino this year. And @JohnnieWalker seems to spend half his life walking. There are a few of us out there now and again :)

I met a Scot on my first camino, on the first stop in Roncesvalles. Don't scream, but I thought he was English - well, Northern English ....
He nearly bit my head off! :D (Well, I'm foreign, aren't I, I have excuses :oops:)
Anyway, he must have forgiven me since we've now walked roughly 8000 km together! :eek:
On our second Camino, on the bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne, we met.... another Scot! Someone he once knew but hadn't seen for years! How odd is that?
We all walked together to León, we had a ball that year :cool:

So yeah, I quite like the Scots. Must be history binding us together ;) :D

Where are you heading this time @Bradypus ?

As said before, lovely to watch and listen, thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Wow, brilliant!
(I wasn't going to say but ... I will cos I'm honest: I am soooo envious!
Enjoy :))

I really enjoyed your video. Preparing for my first experience with the Camino this really left a great impression and a warm feeling in my heart. Thank you!!
Diana Kringelbach, Denmark

I was a hospitalero in Miraz some years ago with an Englishman who had moved to Scotland and considered himself to be, without any doubt, a Scot. He was excited one afternoon to welcome a couple from Scotland walking their third camino, and got even more excited when the next two to arrive were two sisters from Fife! He had been a hospitalero on four previous occasions, and had never before welcomed even one pilgrim from Scotland. Four in one night was nearly too much for him!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

See you Jimmy wee man! You are not alone, I was born in Glasgow but they call me Mr Galicia!! You're right I've not met many Scots on the Camino, a real shame.I hope your video may help attract more of us!! Well done!!

You're right Jim. In four Caminos only met one fellow Scot on the road but did meet Johnny Walker in the old Pilgrim Office -and when I went to buy my compostela tube there was a lovely lady behind the desk from Gullane!

There was certainly enthusiasm for the pilgrimage and Santiago de Compostela in Scotland until the Reformation. James IV donated gifts to the cathedral and gave alms to pilgrims according to historical sources.

It is becoming better known, but slowly. I was sitting in a cafe in Glasgow the other day and on the shelf beside our table was a postcard. Yup, it was from the Camino! Turned out one of the staff had walked it last year.

Loved your video- brought back great memories but also a severe case of feet itching to get going again! It gets under your skin like nothing else! Glad you had such a great time and sure you too will be back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You're right Jim. In four Caminos only met one fellow Scot on the road but did meet Johnny Walker in the old Pilgrim Office -and when I went to buy my compostela tube there was a lovely lady behind the desk from Gullane!

There was certainly enthusiasm for the pilgrimage and Santiago de Compostela in Scotland until the Reformation. James IV donated gifts to the cathedral and gave alms to pilgrims according to historical sources.

It is becoming better known, but slowly. I was sitting in a cafe in Glasgow the other day and on the shelf beside our table was a postcard. Yup, it was from the Camino! Turned out one of the staff had walked it last year.

Loved your video- brought back great memories but also a severe case of feet itching to get going again! It gets under your skin like nothing else! Glad you had such a great time and sure you too will be back.

Katy: Ah, an educated lady indeed. Scottish history played a big part in this. Suffice to say, maybe not the place to debate, and to just confuse others with a suitable Scottish saying - we are a' Jock Tamson's Bairn's.
JHim

Hey Tyrrek,
I think I remember this picture... :D:)
Are you going back to the Camino this year?
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
Hi Jacques-D. You probably took the photo! I've been a bit ill over the last year or so, so no Caminos for me. I miss it, so I'm hoping to do one next year. I hope all is well with you! Buen Camino amigo. K

Im a Scot who is in Caldas de Reis walking the Camino Portugues (started in Valenca). Weather hot but bearable for me, although I'm wearing shorts my legs are still peely wally.
I walked the Frances from Sarria in March and loved the 4 days of walking in the rain I had.

Im a Scot who is in Caldas de Reis walking the Camino Portugues (started in Valenca). Weather hot but bearable for me, although I'm wearing shorts my legs are still peely wally.
I walked the Frances from Sarria in March and loved the 4 days of walking in the rain I had.

Gaun Yirsel Tam

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked for a short time with a kiltie when I walked the CF some 11 years ago. I have a photo, but it won't easily transfer so can't say what tartan. The chap was Scottish, but domiciled down south. He was only a wee skelf, so the kilt wouldn't have weighed him down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is one Scotsman who could be on the VldP next April/May.

This Scotsman did it in April/May two years ago, I think you will love it! The Southern end was HOT but not one drop of rain in the entire 28 days. Really bizarre for a Scot!

This Scotsman did it in April/May two years ago, I think you will love it! The Southern end was HOT but not one drop of rain in the entire 28 days. Really bizarre for a Scot!

The maximum temperature ever recorded in Scotland was just under 33C. As a Scot now living in exile in Wales I am far more used to dreich, ddiflas, and all the other brands of cold grey meteorological muck :rolleyes: I should be setting off from Sevilla to walk part of the VDLP next week. Really looking forward to being dry and warm for a change... ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love your video and remembrances of the Camino, Jhim! I hope to hike the West Highland Way in a few years!
Ha. Thank you. Funnily enough, I’m sitting at the exact same spot that I finished at, last month. Perhaps another video coming soon. Looking forward to meeting some lovely people.

Ha. Thank you. Funnily enough, I’m sitting at the exact same spot that I finished at, last month. Perhaps another video coming soon. Looking forward to meeting some lovely people.
Jhim,you said you would "be back" but I never thought so soon.I hope the knee holds out this time,and that Mrs Jhim is beside you on the Way.I'm very jealous of you,as will Kitty be when I E/M her later.Buen Camino to you,and please keep recording for all of us.

I have just returned from a 2 week Camino from Santo Domingo to Rabanal. Walking in 37C is difficult for people north of Hadrian's wall. Come to think of it, the way is not well known in Scotland at all. It was wonderful to meet so many nice people on the way and this wee movie has many clips of the lovely people you come across.
nice video Jim, but the man wants his corn on the cob back :)

nice video Jim, but the man wants his corn on the cob back :)

Elaine : Delighted you enjoyed and took time to comment. I wondered if people would spot that. Lol. I said a prayer in Santiago Cathedral two days ago to repent. Part2 coming soon. Let me suggest to you - “She that is without sin among you, let her cast the first stone“. Lol. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Elaine : Delighted you enjoyed and took time to comment. I wondered if people would spot that. Lol. I said a prayer in Santiago Cathedral two days ago to repent. Part2 coming soon. Let me suggest to you - “She that is without sin among you, let her cast the first stone“. Lol. Thank you.
hahaha and as a fellow scot I thoroughly enjoyed your video and your humour I hope to do a wee bit of the camino next year , but not very fit ........ as yet !

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back