• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

COVID Not good news about Spain vaccinations rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Yesterday I saw this piece in the New York Times showing tracking information regarding the worldwide vaccination rates for COVID-19 by country. Of course as more vaccines are approved and more vaccinations are manufactured and distributed the numbers may accelerate quickly. But as of yesterday the outlook for Spain does not look good at all. The chart definition is explained:

The table below shows which countries have vaccinated their residents at the fastest rates since the start of their immunization campaigns, and which vaccinated the most in the last seven days. It also shows, at current speeds and immunization levels, how long it will take for at least half the residents in each country to receive at least one dose of a vaccine.

At the rate Spain is currently distributing its vaccine it will take untilMay/June 2022 to reach the goal of 50% of the population receiving at least one dose. Hopefully this will improve soon.

I have read that the Johnson & Johnson trial results may very well be published in the next couple of weeks. The initial reports in the medical community seems to be very hopeful that the data will be good.

So everyone keep planning and hoping but temper those early expectations. At least that is my advice.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I've got this Bloomberg site bookmarked to follow vaccinations.

We have to remember that many countries are just getting started with vaccines, and that there are more vaccines in the pipeline. The vaccination rate should pick up.

Arn

Veteran Member
Some things to consider when looking at the numbers as a percentage of population immunized.
Total population, size of the country (Israel is roughly the size of New Jersey) and if the country is mandating vaccination. And, if mandating, which sector of the population receives it first (medical personnel, aged over 65 residing in assisted care facilities and, in some countries, inmates in prisons).
I will receive my first vaccination on 1February and the second on February 22nd. @It56ny is spot on. Gauge your plans on your location, vaccination and travel restrictions in place for Spain.
Buen "a shot in the Dark" Camino
Arn

I'm sat in my chair with my sleeve rolled up. How much time will pass before I actually here the Nurse say "just a scratch" is not in my hands. But "...I'm still willin'".

If you want good news: The November planted Broad Beans are well grown, hardly any gaps in the rows though the mice have had a few. The Purple Sprouting Broccoli is flowering well, we've had a couple of harvests already. The Chard is holding well despite a few -5C frosts. My seed order from Thomas Etty Esq has arrived so the Cime d Rape will get planted as soon as it stops raining. There's a few Chillis starting to show second leaves on the Pilgrim bed-room windowsill. Little Dog and Smeagol the Beagle are sound asleep in their baskets after a long & muddy schlep along the river but we have a few wild greens to go with supper.
My neighbours are all well as are we.
My favourite pub delivers my beer.
Infection rates are said to be falling in my district.

And meanwhile, there are vaccinations that might lead us to a way out of here; just not tomorrow.

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
I've got this Bloomberg site bookmarked to follow vaccinations.

We have to remember that many countries are just getting started with vaccines, and that there are more vaccines in the pipeline. The vaccination rate should pick up.

Indeed!
I had to assist a patient today at oncology and I heard that all staff at ER, Covidwards, ICU and oncology are now vaccinated. Rest will follow this week. A region / hospital that was so severely hit during the first Covidwave deserves to be vaccinated quickly.
So I will keep my social distance, hygienerules and mouthmask and I will stay genuinely happy for all those already vaccinated.

tweekes

Yesterday I saw this piece in the New York Times showing tracking information regarding the worldwide vaccination rates for COVID-19 by country. Of course as more vaccines are approved and more vaccinations are manufactured and distributed the numbers may accelerate quickly. But as of yesterday the outlook for Spain does not look good at all. The chart definition is explained:

The table below shows which countries have vaccinated their residents at the fastest rates since the start of their immunization campaigns, and which vaccinated the most in the last seven days. It also shows, at current speeds and immunization levels, how long it will take for at least half the residents in each country to receive at least one dose of a vaccine.

At the rate Spain is currently distributing its vaccine it will take untilMay/June 2022 to reach the goal of 50% of the population receiving at least one dose. Hopefully this will improve soon.

I have read that the Johnson & Johnson trial results may very well be published in the next couple of weeks. The initial reports in the medical community seems to be very hopeful that the data will be good.

So everyone keep planning and hoping but temper those early expectations. At least that is my advice.

My question is in regards to those people who CANNOT take the vaccine for various health (or other) reasons. Can you "force" people to take vaccines? And will there be other measures, other than "no travelling" at all, that will be implemented in its stead?

lt56ny

Veteran Member
@lt56ny - did you notice that it will take Mexico 105 months to get everyone vaccinated at the current rate?
I have been a resident of Texas for the last 3 years after I sold my house in Oregon. I use my cousin's address as my home base. I am in Texas now awaiting my second Pfizer vaccine. I worry about my wife who is a Mexican national. Hopefully Carlos Slim will be purchasing Pfizer vaccines that will be sold in private hospitals. She will get hers when that becomes available. I have a friend from my pharmaceutical days who is an immunologist who is getting some information about the Russian vaccine. Mexico bought a bunch of that vaccine. He is going to let me know when there is safety and efficacy data that is reliable from countries other than Russia who are administering that vaccine also.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
My question is in regards to those people who CANNOT take the vaccine for various health (or other) reasons. Can you "force" people to take vaccines? And will there be other measures, other than "no travelling" at all, that will be implemented in its stead?
Any Medical ethicist will tell you that of course you can't force someone to take any treatment that because of pre-existing or morbidities would place someone at risk if they took the treatment/vaccine. From everything that I have read in the United States at this moment governments, local, state or federal cannot mandate that everyone receive the vaccine. If this was done legislatively or through executive orders I can't imagine, especially in today's climate what the fallout would be. I do believe it is legal (again this is my understanding, not firmly based on law) that in certain types of situations an employer may be able to make receiving a vaccine a condition of continued employment or for new hires. Please do not bombard me with what if etc. This is what I have read in reputable news and investigative sources. From what I have read in many cases there is no settled law regarding this.
When it comes to traveling there have been mandates set up by airlines and governments besides no travel. There are mask requirements, distancing requirements in the past, and quarantine requirements. President Biden just said that anyone coming to the United States from Mexico will be required to quarantine. There is also a requirement of a negative COVID-19 test result that is no more than 72 hours.
The bottom line is that requirements are fluid to say the least and if you want to travel check before you go anywhere and get travel insurance that will protect you if the rules change between when you book and when you go.

Not really a question for this forum @tweekes. There is no-one here who could possibly answer. One to ask your local health authority. Probably not one to ask the internet - unless you believe the Earth is flat and travels through the Universe on the back of a turtle

Camino Maps
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
As there are people who can't take the vaccine it's even more important that those of us who can, do get it to provide the herd immunity that will protect the more vulnerable.

Last edited:
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Australia will not receive the vaccines our government has ordered until mid-late February hence not included in the above tables. As I understand the government is aiming for 4 million vaccinations by the end of March or early April. There is talk that it will include the annual "flu shot" that the vast number of Aussies get in April/May as we go into southern winter.
For those who are reluctant to get vaccinated - please consider your families; friends and your nation. Cheers

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

C clearly

Staff member
I don't know why people expect the vaccination plans to be any more precise or predictable than plans of all sorts. It is a complex challenge and there are many unknowns. We need to hope our countries and regions are doing their best to acquire and distribute the vaccine, and we need to be patient while inevitable roadblocks and adjustments happen.

tweekes

Any Medical ethicist will tell you that of course you can't force someone to take any treatment that because of pre-existing or morbidities would place someone at risk if they took the treatment/vaccine. From everything that I have read in the United States at this moment governments, local, state or federal cannot mandate that everyone receive the vaccine. If this was done legislatively or through executive orders I can't imagine, especially in today's climate what the fallout would be. I do believe it is legal (again this is my understanding, not firmly based on law) that in certain types of situations an employer may be able to make receiving a vaccine a condition of continued employment or for new hires. Please do not bombard me with what if etc. This is what I have read in reputable news and investigative sources. From what I have read in many cases there is no settled law regarding this.
When it comes to traveling there have been mandates set up by airlines and governments besides no travel. There are mask requirements, distancing requirements in the past, and quarantine requirements. President Biden just said that anyone coming to the United States from Mexico will be required to quarantine. There is also a requirement of a negative COVID-19 test result that is no more than 72 hours.
The bottom line is that requirements are fluid to say the least and if you want to travel check before you go anywhere and get travel insurance that will protect you if the rules change between when you book and when you go.
Yes, good sound advice. I suppose we won't fully know how it will all play out until further down the line... Thank you!

CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)

At the rate Spain is currently distributing its vaccine it will take until May/June 2022 to reach the goal of 50% of the population receiving at least one dose. Hopefully this will improve soon.

Hmm. Oh well.
Better plan for my 2022 Camino to be in 2023....... :oops:

his was always going to take much longer than anyone expected I think......

CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I have been a resident of Texas for the last 3 years after I sold my house in Oregon. I use my cousin's address as my home base. I am in Texas now awaiting my second Pfizer vaccine. I worry about my wife who is a Mexican national. Hopefully Carlos Slim will be purchasing Pfizer vaccines that will be sold in private hospitals. She will get hers when that becomes available. I have a friend from my pharmaceutical days who is an immunologist who is getting some information about the Russian vaccine. Mexico bought a bunch of that vaccine. He is going to let me know when there is safety and efficacy data that is reliable from countries other than Russia who are administering that vaccine also.

Surely the Government in the US would want to vaccinate as many people as possible regardless of 'Nationality'? To miss out large groups of the population would seem to be a bit strange...

(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
We are told here in Norway today, that due to production problems, vaccines will be received in a slower rate than expected, resulting in a 2-month delay than according to plans/promises. This is valid for all of Europe, it is said.

My spring/summer Camino has just left the building...

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Maps
Alex, as I’ve said, I sit with my sleeve rolled up but with no anticipation that this bugger will be gone away soon. I also know that you tithe what you can to support our beloved Camino. And I am told by friends who have had the privilege to visit that you live in a good place (even if you can’t get a proper cafe con leche). See you in Santiago, one day

Alex, as I’ve said, I sit with my sleeve rolled up but with no anticipation that this bugger will be gone away soon. I also know that you tithe what you can to support our beloved Camino. And I am told by friends who have had the privilege to visit that you live in a good place (even if you can’t get a proper cafe con leche). See you in Santiago, one day
I can truly tell you, amigo, that I am VERY close to moving to Santiago; @SYates is a helping personality, indeed; She has been a truly inspiring person for me; showing it is possible. I am seriously contemplating a move.

wayfarer

Staff member
I can truly tell you, amigo, that I am VERY close to moving to Santiago; @SYates is a helping personality, indeed; She has been a truly inspiring person for me; showing it is possible. I am seriously contemplating a move.
It is a beautiful city Alex, I hope it works out for you, hopefully we will meet there for a cafe con leche and maybe for a Jameson.

Frances (2017), Primitivo (2019)
We are told here in Norway today, that due to production problems, vaccines will be received in a slower rate than expected, resulting in a 2-month delay than according to plans/promises. This is valid for all of Europe, it is said.

My spring/summer Camino has just left the building...
Ugh...with slow production and vaccinations here in the US and even slower rollouts for the EU, we are faced with a daunting probability of another lost year. That’s a bit of a crusher for hopeful.

Camino Maps
Camino Cups
It is a beautiful city Alex, I hope it works out for you, hopefully we will meet there for a cafe con leche and maybe for a Jameson.
Well, actually, i am hoping to repeat the efforts of @SYates . It would suite me well, and being in my spirit of the Camino.

Jameson sounds nice to me. I'll take 1-2. Ooops; 12 is written without a hyphen...

Last edited:

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Here in S.Texas they have mobilized and are doing mass drive through vaccinations..although a caveat..there was a site set up..but they were charging 100+usd for it..MANY folks were caught unprepared.

EDIT.
It was a charge for testing, here there are sites that do reduced to free tests. Sorry for the confusion.
William.

Last edited:

Anamiri

Veteran Member
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I'm sat in my chair with my sleeve rolled up. How much time will pass before I actually here the Nurse say "just a scratch" is not in my hands. But "...I'm still willin'".

If you want good news: The November planted Broad Beans are well grown, hardly any gaps in the rows though the mice have had a few. The Purple Sprouting Broccoli is flowering well, we've had a couple of harvests already. The Chard is holding well despite a few -5C frosts. My seed order from Thomas Etty Esq has arrived so the Cime d Rape will get planted as soon as it stops raining. There's a few Chillis starting to show second leaves on the Pilgrim bed-room windowsill. Little Dog and Smeagol the Beagle are sound asleep in their baskets after a long & muddy schlep along the river but we have a few wild greens to go with supper.
My neighbours are all well as are we.
My favourite pub delivers my beer.
Infection rates are said to be falling in my district.

And meanwhile, there are vaccinations that might lead us to a way out of here; just not tomorrow.
It may not be appropriate in this thread but a photo of Little Dog and Smeagol the Beagle is required

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Alex if I was 5 or 10 years younger (and not facing some health issues) I might be doing the same thing. As it is I am one of a large number of Australians who cannot even contemplate leaving the country until fully vaccinated. Happy that SY is helping, a person with true Camino Pilgrim spirit. Cheers

CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Here in S.Texas they have mobilized and are doing mass drive through vaccinations..although a caveat..there was a site set up..but they were charging 100+usd for it..MANY folks were caught unprepared.

People have to pay to be vaccinated?
That's sad, on so many levels :oops:

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg

C clearly

Staff member
This thread has wandered around and lost any focus, also illustrating how misinformation is easily spread unintentionally. The forum is not a good place for reliable information on Covid - whether about the virus, testing, vaccines, public policies or travel restrictions!

I am closing the thread.

Last edited:
Camino Way Markers
Camino Cups
Status
Not open for further replies.