• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Not much further now

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
My first Camino Inglés albergue was the municipal in Pontedeume, very civilised other than no kitchen, 5€, empty. Watched the clásico in a packed bar, where the one Real Madrid supporter was loudly commiserated with every time Barca scored one of their four goals.

The signage is great, even if it takes a few junctions to get used to the fact that here the scallop hinge points away from Santiago, while on the Norte it's the other way around - when the Norte joins the Francés, are there a few bewildered coastal pilgrims heading towards the Pyrenees until they realise the change?

Nice short day to Betanzos. The rain showers, suitable for my first full day on the Inglés, continued, which meant I was wearing my Red Riding Hood, probably a good thing given the number of Sunday hunters out in the woods: one day I'm sure a pilgrim will get shot, and I have no wish to turn into peregrino a la plancha (or, given my age and probable toughness, estofado).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoying your humorous posts very much, Alan! And a bit sad that these from Live on Camino will stop soon. But OTOH very happy you're so close to ending your coast-to-coast & further-on & around-the-bend Camino ;)

Ultreia!

Betanzos' large warm stone xunta albergue (empty) must be one of the grandest I've ever stayed in. At Sunday evening mass in the gothic church of Santiago, I had hoped I was discretely concealed behind a pillar, but I was spotted and dragged forward at the end to be blessed and promised to give an abrazo on behalf of Betanzos - that's quite a long list now, I'll have to go round several times.

Betanzos on a wet Sunday afternoon was a really nice place to be - its sluggish river, its busy bars, its steep streets, its dotty sub-Gaudí public park, even its top floor flat playing the Barber of Seville at maximum volume (glad I didn't live near them, perhaps).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Betanzos' large warm stone xunta albergue (empty) must be one of the grandest I've ever stayed in. At Sunday evening mass in the gothic church of Santiago, I had hoped I was discretely concealed behind a pillar, but I was spotted and dragged forward at the end to be blessed and promised to give an abrazo on behalf of Betanzos - that's quite a long list now, I'll have to go round several times.

Betanzos on a wet Sunday afternoon was a really nice place to be - its sluggish river, its busy bars, its steep streets, its dotty sub-Gaudí public park, even its top floor flat playing the Barber of Seville at maximum volume (glad I didn't live near them, perhaps).
I said it all in previous post :D

Thanks once again!

An advantage of not having a guidebook is that every place is a surprise. So, I had no idea Betanzos was so big, and, further on, assumed that a place that had supported a pilgrim hospital was probably of some significance. However, arriving at Hospital de Bruma, I discovered that the albergue, if full, would outnumber the rest of the hamlet. So I finally used up my emergency stash of cheese and salami with some of the pasta a more provident previous pilgrim had left in the albergue kitchen. And today on to Sigüeiro, possibly not the most exciting town of this camino.

Yesterday, on the high ground above Bruma, I saw the faint outline of what I think must have been the Pico Sacro, the landing lights of my previous caminos. It will be odd arriving from the north.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.