• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not only Bed Bugs. What about flees?

annakappa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
So much has been written about the Dreaded Bed Bug! Poor thing, it gets blamed for every bite. But what about the other crawlies that abound? There are mosquitoes, biting ants and flees. Just to mention a few.
We are so pampered nowadays. Have you thought how it was in the not too distant past?

Do you remember an inn, Miranda?
Do you remember an inn?
And the tedding and spreading of straw for a bedding
And the FLEES that tease in the high Pyrenees
And the wine that tasted of tar............

Food for thought! Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
O My God !! we are going to have endless discussion about Flea.z..zz...zzz.........How high they can jump/can endure sub-zero temps/can shut down for 2 years etc. etc.........:rolleyes::p....Vicrev

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well may I add ... although not specifically Camino related BUT then who knows...... in days gone past it was not unheard of that MAGGOTS infested wounds .. cleaned them out and then aloud them to heal :p just wanted to throw that in there ... hahahaha:eek:. Today people shudder at sight of maggots .... poor things they were doing a good job

In the uk some hospitals use maggots to clean wounds such as ulcers that resist anti-biotics - they only eat corrupted flesh.

The French aristocrats, way back when, used to take a young pig with them when they travelled. At their night halts their servants would place the pig in the bed for an hour or so then remove it before the aristo went to bed. The fleas and bugs, well dined, slept the night away as well.
Funny thing is, we have three types of fleas that infest us and the only other animal that they inhabit isn't any of the primates or monkeys, it is the pig, so we are close relations after all! ;)

In the uk some hospitals use maggots to clean wounds such as ulcers that resist anti-biotics - they only eat corrupted flesh.

The French aristocrats, way back when, used to take a young pig with them when they travelled. At their night halts their servants would place the pig in the bed for an hour or so then remove it before the aristo went to bed. The fleas and bugs, well dined, slept the night away as well.
Funny thing is, we have three types of fleas that infest us and the only other animal that they inhabit isn't any of the primates or monkeys, it is the pig, so we are close relations after all! ;)

The VERY reason why some religions do not subscribe to the ingestion of pork products .. true ..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I may like to suggest that if one is particularly concerned about Bugs on the Camino.. they take a pig rahter than a dog with them;)

David, I think you may have solved my problem trying to find an environmental friendly alternative to permethrin.
Thank you very much. :)
I'm hoping I can smuggle it into the albergue. I'm sure nobody will notice the smell.
Ok, it may do some oink oink sounds. But then I will just say its someone else who is snoring.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know we are to be tough pilgrims. But I can't believe for one minute if there was a chance even in the 1100's to rid ourselves of these nasty insects they would have used it too. I agree that we should be thankful for the rooms available and we should be trying to be "bigger" than bed bugs issue but I think that its ridiculous personally to put up with a bug one doesn't need to. Now bedbugs don't spread disease but they can cause incredible discomfort and in situations less than sterile at the best of times bites can become infected and cause serious problems. But that is not the worst of it. They spread like wild fire. They can lay dormant for up to 2 years and they can be taken everywhere else you go with you because they hide in the liners of blankets and the edges of sleeping bags and backpacks. If you stay at one place with bedbugs you can be SURE you are going to be spreading it to other Albergues along the way unless you follow the rules to killing them They are very disruptive and extremely hard to get rid of. And then it goes to the subject of hygiene. I understand that the Albergues are not rolling in cash but even a few days in freezing cold weather...which most places must get to if its snowing in these places...or a very hot dryer kills these things...so why is that not being done regularly? ((I'm probably going to get blasted for this post but what ever)) They do say cleanliness is next to Godliness...smiles.

Mosquitos if you are in the wrong places do cause disease...and I'm sure there are some people that get bad infections from those bites and flea bites. I would never go into the deep woods in Canada and not take a mosquito and black fly repellent of some sort. You can't even go to the bathroom without getting attacked by them. Thats just asking for agony. When I lived in Jamaica before I decided to be smart my legs and arms were one large bite...it was horrible and very very difficult to heal up. And I most definitely don't need to subject myself to bedbugs...I have been through that even bringing them home with me from holidays...having to fumigate and replace my mattresses etc... Call me prissy...I don't care....if God is calling you to sleep with bedbugs... so be it...but that is NOT why I am being called to the Camino...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.