• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

not quite on the camino

F

Former member 49149

Yesterday I became the new owner of a second hand Le Creuset 22cm oval cookpot/ dutch oven/casserole pot.
Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 11.30.28.png
I am ready to give away my much larger Pyrex one, far too big and heavy.

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 11.30.38.png

Right now the new one is on the top of the cooker, doing its thing with some pork mince which will be the main ingredient of the baked potatoes that are going to be the meal this evening. I will be very happy to get hints from folks who use this kind of vessel for either top of cooker or in oven, especially for efforts to recreate recipes from the Iberian Peninsula, whichever Camino...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yesterday I became the new owner of a second hand Le Creuset 22cm oval cookpot/ dutch oven/casserole pot.
View attachment 64045
I am ready to give away my much larger Pyrex one, far too big and heavy.

View attachment 64046

Right now the new one is on the top of the cooker, doing its thing with some pork mince which will be the main ingredient of the baked potatoes that are going to be the meal this evening. I will be very happy to get hints from folks who use this kind of vessel for either top of cooker or in oven, especially for efforts to recreate recipes from the Iberian Peninsula, whichever Camino...
Well, I do not consume meat any more but years ago, I used to plant a covered pottery vessel into coals (which were into an old brazier. ). Different kinds of meats in portions/shares plus, herbs, olive oil ,salt pepper , some water etc and 0,5 liter of white wine. I used to cover them with coals and go for swimming. If it was 1,5 kgr meat I used to return 1,5 hour later and it was ready. I mean kgs demand same time in hours.I suppose you can do it in oven with 180-200 degrees Celsius. Good luck

Well, I do not consume meat any more but years ago, I used to plant a covered pottery vessel into coals (which were into an old brazier. ). Different kinds of meats in portions/shares plus, herbs, olive oil ,salt pepper , some water etc and 0,5 liter of white wine. I used to cover them with coals and go for swimming. If it was 1,5 kgr meat I used to return 1,5 hour later and it was ready. I mean kgs demand same time in hours.I suppose you can do it in oven with 180-200 degrees Celsius. Good luck
Thanks so much, That is a great idea, same time as weight... my pot is for indoor use, and so slightly different. I already used some of the minced meat with some bits and pieces, and mixed it all with the insides of the potatoes, and popped them back in. I need to have it ready ahead of time as I have something to do just prior to mealtime, and just heat it up. I might add a couple of slices of chorizo at the last minute - that would surely bring it onto a menu somewhere in Spain, no?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looks like the perfect vessel for a good Caldo Gallego!
You are right! I will have a look at a recipe , actually I have a great book with a lot of recipes (1080 according to the title!) and I will check it first. No, pity, but I have just seen a delightful set of recipes on line so as they say in Glesca, “haud me back”. That means just leave me to get on with the task! Thanks theatregal, I will post a photo for you when I get around to it. I have some soup already in the freezer, so it will wait till the nights are drawing in a bit more...
Just for the record, the menu for this evening: patatas rellenas al horno. With a small side of green espárragos... y una rioja...

I will be very happy to get hints from folks who use this kind of vessel for either top of cooker or in oven, especially for efforts to recreate recipes from the Iberian Peninsula, whichever Camino...

Surely you will be most familiar with this one: Castilian soup (or Garlic soup). I believe it does match well that pot!

It’s been the first dish to pop in my mind when reading this thread. Not a fancy recipe at all but yet, to me, one which really captures the spirit of Camino. Really humble in origin, unfortunately not that common nowadays in daily menus, it is a delicious dish. One which offers comfort after a long walking day, and reminds (me) that very little is needed (generally in life, in this case in cuisine ...) to obtain a wonderful creation. Besides, it is vegetarian and nourishing. Nowadays, I cannot ask for more. It is such an enjoyable meal in all possible dimensions!

Here you can find a possible recipe for it:

Surely you will be most familiar with this one: Castilian soup (or Garlic soup). I believe it does match well that pot!

It’s been the first dish to pop in my mind when reading this thread. Not a fancy recipe at all but yet, to me, one which really captures the spirit of Camino. Really humble in origin, unfortunately not that common nowadays in daily menus, it is a delicious dish. One which offers comfort after a long walking day, and reminds (me) that very little is needed (generally in life, in this case in cuisine ...) to obtain a wonderful creation. Besides, it is vegetarian and nourishing. Nowadays, I cannot ask for more. It is such an enjoyable meal in all possible dimensions!

Here you can find a possible recipe for it:
Thanks very much, another one for the list! I never did taste the garlic soup that was famous in San Juan de Ortega... as we walked on after having a coffee there.

Here is my grandmother's version of Caldo Gallego.
Tastes the same to me:

Annie, you have given me a lovely gift in sharing this recipe, and it is so beautifully presented... I need to make it and share the outcome. Only photos, sadly! Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are right! I will have a look at a recipe , actually I have a great book with a lot of recipes (1080 according to the title!) and I will check it first. No, pity, but I have just seen a delightful set of recipes on line so as they say in Glesca, “haud me back”. That means just leave me to get on with the task! Thanks theatregal, I will post a photo for you when I get around to it. I have some soup already in the freezer, so it will wait till the nights are drawing in a bit more...
Just for the record, the menu for this evening: patatas rellenas al horno. With a small side of green espárragos... y una rioja...
Think I'll drop by for dinner! 😁

Tastes the same to me:

This recipe looks wonderful! Will try! Thank you for posting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tastes the same to me:

I see in your recipe a reference to Silva Linguica - I looked it up, and it looks a bit like chorizo. Am I right? I will have a look in a special shop in town next week. Maybe I will start with a piece of shin beef, that is so tasty. I have been on a trip, learning about different cuts of beef...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You may look for dutch oven recipes. My favorite one is lima bean soup beans cooked slowly in juiced tomatoes with garlic a bit of salt a a bit of olive oil. Simple but holds as we say body and soul together.

I think it's perfect for choucrout garni -- long-roasted saeurkraut with pork loin, weiners, carrots, a bit of brown sugar, some caraway seeds.
I am a vegetariana...but this just made me salivate.
Rebbb...! Geeze. ;)
(I used to make this with polish sausage and baby potatoes...)

How about Portuguese bean soup? A Hawaiian favorite, brought with people who came mostly from the Azores:
Have fun, @kirkie!

I see in your recipe a reference to Silva Linguica - I looked it up, and it looks a bit like chorizo. Am I right? I will have a look in a special shop in town next week. Maybe I will start with a piece of shin beef, that is so tasty. I have been on a trip, learning about different cuts of beef...

No. Linquica tastes absolutely nothing like chourizo. Use stew beef instead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No. Linquica tastes absolutely nothing like chourizo. Use stew beef instead.
Thanks, Annie, and all others, for suggestions. Of course, Dutch oven and cocotte will lead to more recipes, of all sorts. Pity I am having lunch in the local community centre today, so no need to cook! Guess what the menu offers today, Friday? Every Friday...many things have changed in this country, but some things stay the same!

I have just gathered all suggestions into a word file, and will have fun this winter trying them out. if anyone would like a copy, just pm me. I got some chicken thighs today and am going to cook them and freeze them using this recipe: just copy and google if you want to see the recipe.
Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 11.16.17.png
I remember not liking something in German sausages when I tried them, so I like the idea of the chippolata alternative. Thanks again for your ideas and sharing. Especially, such a carefully prepared website/blog, @Anniesantiago. I recall seeing your front page a couple of years ago and being very attracted by the image of the little girl with the balloons.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would keep the large pot and use it for baking bread. I make sourdough and the dutch oven pot is fundamental to a good crust in a domestic oven.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_82ba.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_82ba.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 64045
The best meals cooked in cast iron casseroles are variations of peasant dishes uses pulses, vegetables and realtively small amounts of meat and cooked two plus hours in a moderate oven or on a low hob setting.
A very good basic recipe is to saute one or two chopped onions with celery. Add chopped cheap cuts of pork and as much garlic as you like. Then add one full chorizo chopped in large rounds. fill pot to 3/4 level with pre-soaked beans of many varieties or just gabanzos. Cover mixture with either plain water/Chicken stock/Tinned tomatoes. Add table spoon of any herb you fancy Thyme/Oregano/Parsley. Then put in the oven for two plus hours.
The broth can be used as a soup, The meat and pulses can be served with crusty bread and steamed greens/vegetables.
Variations of the dish include using duck or goose instead of or with the pork. In addition placing a large lump of smoked bacon/Speck in the pot adds to the flavour and the meat can be once the dish has been cooked can be used for a different meal or sliced and served alongside.
people will probably recognise this dish has being similar to Asturian Fabadas or the French Cassoulet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
that pot is perfect for slow-cooking just about anything. It is the right size for two whole rabbits and four potatoes, carrots, peas, a chunk of fatback, and three quartered onions. Pour a cup of red wine over that, put in a sprig of rosemary, and let that stand on low heat on the back of the stove through the afternoon. About an hour before dinner, pour a cup of lentils in and stir it up, pull out the bones and sprig, add some water, and let it cook another little while.
I am coveting the pot you want to give away, but they weigh a ton and you are far away, alas!

Rebekkah! Ah! Truly, if you know anybody in Ireland who will travel with a vehicle, I will keep it for you! You have more need/ possibility to use it than I do! I have already decided to try one of the other ideas, using it to bake some bread later when the oven is free this evening. If anyone you know is crossing over by sea and land - just let me know!

I would keep the large pot and use it for baking bread. I make sourdough and the dutch oven pot is fundamental to a good crust in a domestic oven.
'
I too use a big, heavy cast iron pot to bake bread; here is my recipe, it is simple but it makes a very good bread:

625 g. of good baking flour
½ liter lukewarm water
2 tsp. salt
A lump of baking yeast the size of a small hazelnut (no more!)

Dissolve the yeast in the water in a big bowl.

Mix in flour and salt with hands (or wooden spoon). Don’t do any kneading, just mix so that all the flour is wet.

Cover the bowl with a dishtowel and put in the fridge. Let it stay in the fridge 12-14 hours to raise (over night).

Pour the dough on a table sprinkled with flour. It should now be twice the size and light and fluffy.

Fold it in on itself from three directions (no kneading). Put it on a flour-sprinkled dishtowel, fold the towel over the dough and let is raise for another two hours at room temp.

Heat oven to 250 C with the lidded pot inside. When the thermostat indicates 250 C, wait for another 15-20 minutes to make sure the oven is really hot (use a pot big enough so that the dough only fills it half).

Remove the pot from the oven (be careful! Very hot!) and ‘turn’ the dough into the pot. Put the lid on and back in the oven for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes remove the lid, lower temperature to 230 C and bake for another 15-20 minutes (watch color of crust).

Let cool off and EAT with fresh butter and a tiny sprinkle of flake-salt.

Last edited:
625 g. of good baking flour
½ liter lukewarm water
2 tsp. salt
A lump of baking yeast the size of a small hazelnut (no more!)

Just to make sure I didn't mess things up - I'm not a native English speaker. By tsp. I mean teaspoons not tablespoons!

Meantime, back on the farm... the bread machine was chuntering away with the dough mixture. When sufficient time had passed I cut a round of grease proof paper, fitted it in the red pot, dumped in the ball of dough, cut a cross and crossed my fingers. Voila! Haven’t tried it yet, but I will in the morning.
E460F25E-E5BC-49DA-BE28-BF307E591D1A.jpeg380A8C08-5EAE-476C-9E4F-CF4CD0A392AF.jpeg
Couldn’t wait. Delicious. My new best friend, the red one. Unless or until Rebekkah sends a taxi to collect it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure I didn't mess things up - I'm not a native English speaker. By tsp. I mean teaspoons not tablespoons!

Turga, thanks for your recipe. I used 600g strong white flour, 1 teaspoon dried yeast, i teaspoon dark sugar, one teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 350cc water.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.