• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not really an Equimpent Question

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
So has the title says, this is not really an Equipment question.

I was talking with my best friend, which whom I will do the Caminho Português with, and since we are tea/infusion lovers we talked about instead of taking water, taking tea.

This question showed up because here in Portugal, companies like Lipton and Tetley are starting to sell infusions that work with cold water,

My main concern is that, the tea doesn’t hydrate us like water, and we could lose double of our body fluids (because it could make us piss more, or sweat more). I thought to take a bottle of tea and a bottle of water.

What do you thing about this?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Diogo92 said:
My main concern is that, the tea doesn’t hydrate us like water, and we could lose double of our body fluids (because it could make us piss more, or sweat more). I thought to take a bottle of tea and a bottle of water.

Some of this earlier advice on water, soft drink, tea and coffee has been debunked, other elements found wanting when it comes to a sound scientific basis, both over the last year or so. Recent advice, eg http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages includes sources like tea and coffee as part of ones daily quota, noting that the diuretic effect does not offset hydration. So yes, you will increase urine production by drinking tea and coffee, but the fluid still contributes to hydration.

A more academic editorial article on similar lines appeared in Jun 2012 in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. A full (html) version of this article is at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-6405.2012.00866.x/full. It challenges how well founded in scientific rigour the earlier recommendations were, suggesting in effect that they have little scientific foundation.

Regards,

Thank you very much dougfitz for your answer. This means that we can take a refreshing ice cold mint tea.

Cheers!

Diogo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Diogo92 said:
Thank you very much dougfitz for your answer. This means that we can take a refreshing ice cold mint tea.

Cheers!

Diogo
Of course:) You could have anyway, but now you will know it's not doing any harm.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.