• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not sure if I need to review my pack list - advice needed

gdb

Hello

I am leaving for Spain in two weeks time and start my walk from Pamplona on 9/4 - with all the recent reports on the snow and weather conditions I am now confused as to what to take and ask for your input/advice on the following as I am going to collect my final items from the shops this weekend:

- I had decided to take some light weight gloves which were wind proof to keep my hands warm - do you think they should also be waterproof (they would be bigger/heavier and bulkier)

- I had decided to take a wide brimmed hat - should I also take a woolen beanie or something similar?

- Do you think it would be worthwhile to take long Johns (thermal type long legged underwear) to sleep in at night and to possible wear under my pants during the day ?

I dont want to take more than I have to but are concerned that some of the above items may now be required due to the change in conditions.

I appreciate advice on all or any of the above items or of other items I may need due to the conditions

Regards Glen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Any thoughts as I am off to the shops today to buy my final items (I hope its the final trip to the shops)

Regards Glen

- I had decided to take a wide brimmed hat - should I also take a woolen beanie or something similar?

A TUKE!!so dont freze and it covers your ears(winter hat)

- Do you think it would be worthwhile to take long Johns (thermal type long legged underwear) to sleep in at night and to possible wear under my pants during the day ?

YOU FROM OZLAND??you ever seen snow?cuz it snowing in spain and it about -15c (too me -15 is nothing if it was -40c then id bring some!) cuz your from ozland YEAH BRING YOUR LONG JONHS!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola

I went to shops today and purchased a few items and will go back tommorrow to hopefully get the last items

Today I dought windproof light weight gloves, some socks and a merino light weight beanie - tommorow I will buy some lonh johns and a thermal top and a hat (hopfully the weather will improve)

I tried the logn johns on today and they were baggy from my knees up but tight from the knees down - as i khave never worn them I am not sure what to expect or how they are meant to fit as they were tight around my lower legs/calfs - I intend to sleep in them each night and use them on cold days under my pants.

Regards Glen

Longjohns

If you want lightweight and very comfortable Longjohns - I recommend these:

http://www.nznature.co.nz/MSHOP:SP:1090 ... =AUD,IT=OV

they are very expensive but if you want comfort and lightweight . . . Also the company seems to send stuff really fast and don't charge postage. But if you did decide to splash out then it's probably worth contacting them by email to ask how fast they'd arrive.

I have no connection with this company - I used them initially to buy a sheet sleeping bag which was cheaper than in the shops here.

Re: Not sure if I need to review my pack list - advice neede

gdb said:
Hello

I am leaving for Spain in two weeks time and start my walk from Pamplona on 9/4 - with all the recent reports on the snow and weather conditions I am now confused as to what to take and ask for your input/advice on the following as I am going to collect my final items from the shops this weekend:

- I had decided to take some light weight gloves which were wind proof to keep my hands warm - do you think they should also be waterproof (they would be bigger/heavier and bulkier)
Waterproofing is a great idea, because dryers aren't always available and when they are they aren't cheap. Size isn't as much an issue, because they can dangle off your pack and gloves aren't very heavy regardless

I'm with Santos, a toque would keep you very warm, here in Canada we love them, and we know cold

Not a bad idea, but make sure that they pack up small

I dont want to take more than I have to but are concerned that some of the above items may now be required due to the change in conditions.

I appreciate advice on all or any of the above items or of other items I may need due to the conditions

Regards Glen

€83,-
Hola

Thanks for the response - i have now finished purchasing all my items and will be leaving Australia for Spain next Friday - I cannot wait and hope I dont have a chance to test out all my gear.

Regards Glen

hello

hey luco, this is dawn of a new day ALSO FROM VICTORIA. what a small world!!!! When did you do the camino??? i am heading out may 5 to do the Camino Norte. Yes a camino junkie, alias a postlady!!!
d

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.