• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not THAT sort of sleeping bag thread.

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (2018)
Hi everyone,

I hope I won't try anyone's patience too much with this question. I've read all the "should I take a bag?" threads and noted all the wise advice dispensed and enjoyed everyone's take on this fairly impossible question. Which, to answer accurately, requires future knowledge of the weather, the locations to be stayed at - all over a 40 day period and also some knowledge of how a person sleeps (hot/cold). I gather that the only true answer is "It depends".

After a hot UK summer of sleeping under a single sheet, I am now noticing that it is a bit nesh at night and I have retreated under the duvet. As it has been 9 degree C the past couple of nights, that is clearly my cut off point. The same will be true of Spain through times of my proposed travel (circa 17th Sept to.....well, I don't know that date yet). Being away from home will not make me any more partial to sleeping chilly. Therefore I have decided to take a bag. It's a hit on weight and storage space but listening to a bunch of snoring AND being cold would be a bit much to take. I won't be doing all that much communal sleeping if I can help it and I gather that I am probably going to find many establishments that provide bedding, but I'm planning on stopping at two albergues right at the very start (not on the same night of course!) and I don't groove on the idea of being cold in either of them!

So my question is, what sort of lightweight bags do people recommend? It has to be less than 1kg and fairly packable. I want to buy cheaply. I'm UK. Many people mention REI as a place to shop but we simply don't have that here. And sometimes I see gear recommends and Amazon don't have it either. I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ian,

You'll see a lot of talk about "Costco" down throws on the site. You can get these in the UK

Costco throw

Indeed they are either labelled Costco or Double Black Diamond or Eddie Bauer. Modified with some press studs to make a foot box they are a light and compact alternative to a "proper" sleeping bag and can be used as a simple blanket too. Some private hostales can be a little tight on blankets!

Snugpak make some lightweight and quite rugged lightweight bags (at least the British Army think so) but the are clones around so watch out. Or they make the Snugpak Jungle Blanket.

Just as the days can be quite hot, nights can be cold in late September/October. If you feel the cold then best be prepared - I remember freezing inside a 3 season bag in Santo Domingo de la Calzada (pre-refurbishment when it was a vast hall) because somebody left the back door open to "let the fresh air in"!

Last edited:
By that date, I would definitely take a sleeping bag too. I like something that opens out flat for temperature regulation. My preference is a very, very lightweight down quilt. A few years ago I bought one of these from the US (I'm in Australia) but a few months ago I discovered down quilts/throws at Costco - at a fraction the price. Something very similar can be found on Amazon UK - here. At Costco they were only $Aus15. On the last two caminos I took the Costco quilt and used it with a silk sleeping bag liner. It was fabulous. But be warned, the cover is slippery so I sewed a few press studs on the quilt and the silk liner. Velcro would work but it tears the silk. The weight is less than 400grams.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
By that date, I would definitely take a sleeping bag too. I like something that opens out flat for temperature regulation. My preference is a very, very lightweight down quilt. A few years ago I bought one of these from the US (I'm in Australia) but a few months ago I discovered down quilts/throws at Costco - at a fraction the price. Something very similar can be found on Amazon UK - here. At Costco they were only $Aus15. On the last two caminos I took the Costco quilt and used it with a silk sleeping bag liner. It was fabulous. But be warned, the cover is slippery so I sewed a few press studs on the quilt and the silk liner. Velcro would work but it tears the silk. The weight is less than 400grams.
Follow @trecile and put the down thrown inside the silk liner magic!

Hi everyone,

So my question is, what sort of lightweight bags do people recommend? It has to be less than 1kg and fairly packable. I want to buy cheaply. I'm UK. Many people mention REI as a place to shop but we simply don't have that here. And sometimes I see gear recommends and Amazon don't have it either. I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

Hi! I’m in the UK too and I bought my first sleeping bag from that place, good prices I thought....http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/lightweight-sleeping-bags/
Mine weighed 600g (maybe 500g, can’t remember) and packed really small.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I purchased a sleeping bag liner from REI. It adds 10 to 20 degree F to my down mummy bag for backpacking in the Sierra Mountains in California in the winter, but it is also good by itself down to approx 50 degrees F. In my estimation the albergues are warm and do not require a lot of bedding. The cost is approx $50 to $60, weight approx 8 oz.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I got my very light sleeping bag in Germany from a company called Globetrotters. 830gr and it only cost 39€. For me it is perfect in the albergues. Check Amazon to see what they offer in the UK.
Visited REI last year in the US and could not believe how over-priced their stuff was.

Hi everyone,

I hope I won't try anyone's patience too much with this question. I've read all the "should I take a bag?" threads and noted all the wise advice dispensed and enjoyed everyone's take on this fairly impossible question. Which, to answer accurately, requires future knowledge of the weather, the locations to be stayed at - all over a 40 day period and also some knowledge of how a person sleeps (hot/cold). I gather that the only true answer is "It depends".

After a hot UK summer of sleeping under a single sheet, I am now noticing that it is a bit nesh at night and I have retreated under the duvet. As it has been 9 degree C the past couple of nights, that is clearly my cut off point. The same will be true of Spain through times of my proposed travel (circa 17th Sept to.....well, I don't know that date yet). Being away from home will not make me any more partial to sleeping chilly. Therefore I have decided to take a bag. It's a hit on weight and storage space but listening to a bunch of snoring AND being cold would be a bit much to take. I won't be doing all that much communal sleeping if I can help it and I gather that I am probably going to find many establishments that provide bedding, but I'm planning on stopping at two albergues right at the very start (not on the same night of course!) and I don't groove on the idea of being cold in either of them!

I've evolved with past caminos to now pack both a very light silk liner ( Vietnam Silk on Etsy ) for base layer or for warmer nights...and a very lightweight down blanket for cooler temps. Together, they weigh less than any bag I had carried and offers a variety of temperature/comfort options. And I don't feel restricted by a bag.

I have one of those inexpensive Costco quilt/throw mentioned in this thread. I had it sewn up into a sleeping bag configuration. It will be with me on my very soon, next Camino walk and I anticipate it will work well. Inexpensive, lightweight and packs down small. It is all I will require. I think it is perfect for a September-November Camino walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.