• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

not the Camino I had envisioned

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I come to you all here, and say that my Camino dreams for this summer are dashed. My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. I have to cancel my flight, and walk this Camino with him, as far as it goes.

The next time I walk the (actual) Camino, it will be to deposit his ashes at the Cruz de Ferro. Doctors have given him 12-18 months to live. We start chemo next week. I am leery that he will continue if it makes him feel terrible, and if he does quit, I wouldn't blame him at all. If he doesn't continue with chemo, then his time here, our time together, gets progressively shorter.

I am glad that I got to walk part of the Camino last summer. I met wonderful people, earned my compostela, and learned so many lessons along the way. It's bittersweet to me that the next time I go on Camino, I'll have all the time I need to walk, as long as I want. And although he won't be waiting for me at home, he'll always be with me in my heart, wherever I go.

I have a feeling this Camino is going to be life-disrupting and life-changing in more ways than I can imagine.

Katie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I come to you all here, and say that my Camino dreams for this summer are dashed. My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. I have to cancel my flight, and walk this Camino with him, as far as it goes.

The next time I walk the (actual) Camino, it will be to deposit his ashes at the Cruz de Ferro. Doctors have given him 12-18 months to live. We start chemo next week. I am leery that he will continue if it makes him feel terrible, and if he does quit, I wouldn't blame him at all. If he doesn't continue with chemo, then his time here, our time together, gets progressively shorter.

I am glad that I got to walk part of the Camino last summer. I met wonderful people, earned my compostela, and learned so many lessons along the way. It's bittersweet to me that the next time I go on Camino, I'll have all the time I need to walk, as long as I want. And although he won't be waiting for me at home, he'll always be with me in my heart, wherever I go.

I have a feeling this Camino is going to be life-disrupting and life-changing in more ways than I can imagine.

Katie
Katie, I wish you both all the strength on the "journey " ahead.

Dearest Kate
We all struggle for words at times like this. Kind words and wise words and words of comfort, hope and support.

Please know that you do not walk this Way alone. As on the Camino, your Forum compañeros walk with you as much or little as you want or need.

Take care of yourself on this extraordinary journey.

Oh Honey!!! I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this right now. This is a good place to connect with people who have been through these types of life experiences. You can rant and rave and we will be here to try and support you. Knowing that you're are facing his life's end, can be a truly spiritual growing time. You can be honest and say the things that are in your heart and support each other in your fears. I will remember you in my prayers and as I make my Camino in May.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

Katie
Hi Katie,
My aunt past away from the same ailment. We had her for 3 mos after diagnoses. Although I can't comprehend what you're going through, completely, I can relate just a bit. I start my Camino early April and 2 weeks ago one of my good friend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.
I will keep your husband in mind and light a candle for him at every church along the Camino, which I'm doing for my friend also. If you don't mind, what is his name?
I have to say that the reason of my Camino is becoming more purposeful and meaningful, as i get closer to it, rather than just a recreational hike.
I will pray for you and your husband.
Buen Camino...

Joel

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear Kate
You and your husband have a struggle ahead ,I'm so sorry to hear this. Keep thinking positively,I heard recently of a man still alive and kicking 5 years after a terminal diagnosis.
My own brother-in-law is feeling very well after his chemo has finished ( for stage4 lung ca). He and my sister have booked for a trip to Scotland in July.
Blessings to you
Heather

Kate,
Thank you for sharing with us what is taking place in your life in order for your camino forum brothers and sisters to support you as you "walk" down this difficult part of your journey.

So many thoughtful and kind words have been shared thus far and I, too, want to offer a prayer for strength, courage and hope.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Katie my dear ... I cannot begin to understand what you are both going through.
A lot of peregrinos - and a I mean a LOT - walk the camino in memory of a loved one.
Each step you take will remind you of your best loved man.
And he will be with you in spirit.
Blessings, and a 'virtual hug'......

Hi all,

Katie
I'll be praying for you and your husband.

Hi all,

Katie
Katie, my heart goes out to you. I've lost two family members to the Big C... and I hate the dashed thing. You have been called by Our Saviour to realize what a special person you are. I arrive in The Holy City tomorrow at 8.30 pm. Rest assured, you will be in my prayers. Buen Camino, precious Sister. May the Holy Spirit be with you always. Caesar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kate,
Thank you for sharing with us what is taking place in your life in order for your camino forum brothers and sisters to support you as you "walk" down this difficult part of your journey.

So many thoughtful and kind words have been shared thus far and I, too, want to offer a prayer for strength, courage and hope.
Angie, this is probably Katie's special Camino. Be blessed, Angie. Caesar

Oh Katie, my heart goes out to you and your husband. I pray that you will both find the strength and healing you need to see you through each day.

Glenda

Hi all,

Katie
My prayers go with you and him for this journey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to hear that news Kate. Chemo really does have rather ghastly side effects. Could I suggest that you investigate Cannabis Oil? Google and Youtube have lots of information and testimonies .... he isn't gone yet ... don't shrug this possibility off, please ... this man had stage 4 Pancreatic ...

-

May the Good God Bless you both during this. xx

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Katie
I'm so sorry for you both.
Maybe try looking into cannabis oil as an alternative or to help with nausea from chemo? Many people swear by it for combating cancer. Just a thought to look into.
You're both on a hard road. My prayers are with you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Katie
Hi Kare, I was deeply saddened to read your post. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. Alex

I'm so sorry for you both.
Maybe try looking into cannabis oil as an alternative or to help with nausea from chemo? Many people swear by it for combating cancer. Just a thought to look into.
You're both on a hard road. My prayers are with you.
Raelyn I just sent you a PM. See your IN box.

Ah Kate, I am so sorry about your husband's diagnosis. May the camino spirit be with you each and every day to give you a gentle and patient heart and joy in the time you are together. Peace.

Dear Katie. I am thinking of you both and hope your husband will not have to go through too much suffering on this journey. I hope you are surrounded by loving family and friends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All The strength to you !
Sorry to hear this news about your husband illness , I think you are moved by a strong force beyond our reason can undertand !
All I can say is keep going , live this experience in a positive way !
My prays and thought are with you and your husband , is not on our hands to solve this problem , so just watch it from the distance you are given !
Buen Camino for both of you , wherever it lead you ,be open!

My thoughts & prayers are with you both, Katie
Suzanne

dear Katie

I am so sorry, I lost my beloved husband to Pancreatic Cancer in October 2014. It was terrible and I know nothing I can say will make it better.
This year I am going to walk my first Camino, Kevin, my Husband, was supposed to walk with me last year for my 50th, and now I am taking his ashes with me to the end of the world. I think he would like that! I will pray that your out come is different , don't give up hope, for him and for yourself. Spend as much time together as possible , talk about everything, make videos and recordings of your voices. these will be nice to have even if you both live to be 100 years.I will add you to my prayers. F**K cancer!! best wishes and lots of love
Nathalie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

Katie
Dear Katie,

No words will get you and your husband through the months ahead. Every day, you will discover how to keep going. I recently lost my partner to cancer and I've also lost two children, my closest friend died of cancer and another dear friend of hep C. My first love died when we were both 20.

In the future you will wonder how you made it but you will find that somehow you have managed to be still standing, still moving forward. Every day. That may seem unfair to you. Seem.

I write this from Madrid, I arrived from my home in Australia 3 days ago. I start my Camino Frances in 7 days. I won't be alone. I text my son almost every day and mailed my granddaughter a postcard today. I'll send her a postcard every week. I also have twin baby granddaughters who need a grandfather today and every day.

To them it's always now.Every day they teach me about today.

Mike

Kate - also very sorry to hear your sad news. I am not aware of David's "cure" however may I suggest that you and husband not give up. There are a number of alternative treatments that may extend the time you have together. (another Mike):(:);)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kate, thank you for sharing this story. I am reminded of my 1st Camino, when I met a young German women at Orisson. She borrowed my sink stopper, and I teased her as she had not done her laundry, and she later told me she feeling fatigued and had terminal breast cancer. We became friends, but became separated on the way. By chance, I ran into her in Santiago, the evening before my departure to Muxia. It was the icing on the cake, so to speak, and the last thing she said to me was "have a good life". I didn't know what to say, except "Buen Camino", but, as only pilgrims may know, these words held so much meaning for me, and I hope for her as well, as she was facing the end of her journey.
I wish for you, and your dear husband a Buen Camino, and a wish that the path you both face will lead you to The Way. xx

Janice

I can't thank you all enough. Every time I read this it makes me cry. So much love, sympathy, kindness. You are all such wonderful people. It's this openness, love, and willingness to help that mad me fall in love with the Camino. I've spent all Saturday night sleepless; right now it's early on Sunday morning. Monday morning, Jack and I go in super early to UCLA and get his chemo port operation done. Thursday we go for the first chemo treatment. Bless you all for the love you have shown Jack and me.

I can't thank you all enough. Every time I read this it makes me cry. So much love, sympathy, kindness. You are all such wonderful people. It's this openness, love, and willingness to help that mad me fall in love with the Camino. I've spent all Saturday night sleepless; right now it's early on Sunday morning. Monday morning, Jack and I go in super early to UCLA and get his chemo port operation done. Thursday we go for the first chemo treatment. Bless you all for the love you have shown Jack and me.

Oh Kate, if only we could do more... take really good care of yourself (apologies if I sound like your mother!)... best part of this Forum is that it's a United Nations of pilgrims so that there will usually be someone online at any part of your day or night if you need the company.

Katie it makes me so sad to read about your husband's diagnosis. Thank you for this reminder that our plans can be changed by circumstances out of our control.

When it is time, Hospice is a wonderful organization that can help both of you through the rest of this unwelcome life ending journey. Get all the help and support you can and don't try to get through this alone.

When you are ready to walk the Camino, it will be there waiting for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

Katie

Our prayers are with you. your husband and family.

I am so sorry for your devastating news. May the strength of the Camino stay with you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Dear Katie and Jack -

I add my support to the messages of support already written - as so many have said, you're not alone here on the Forum. I also urge you to investigate the use of the cannabis oil - the statistics are there to show that it does help shrink tumours. Jack - try as much as you can to get organic produce into your system - smoothies made with organic veggies and fruits - so your level of nutrition is high and this will help your immunity during the chemo.

My very best wishes to you both and to your extended families - you're in my thoughts and prayers -

Jenny

Dear Katie and Jack,

for the tough path ahead I would like to forward on an old Irish prayer that was given to me just before my mum passed away.

I've since carried it with me on subsequent Caminos .

An Irish Prayer

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer

This folks of this Forum Community surely are a special bunch !!!

Best wishes to you both,
Peadar

Dear Kate and Jack...On Thursday you'll be beginning a different and much more difficult Camino. There'll be prayers and well-wishes for you from around the world...and many of us know the cancer journey first-hand and will be here if you need an ear and a heart.
One practical piece of advice: you'll want to use your energy to support each other rather than to be constantly updating friends and family about what's going on. Go to CaringBridge and get a free place to post updates and receive support. It saves a ton of time...I can't recommend it enough.

I am sorry. My father died from pancreatic cancer. My heart goes out to you. In the final weeks, my father went very quickly and they medicated him so there wasn't much pain, but he halucinated and that was horrible. I was luck to be with him the day he died and we had a few hours of quality time talking about wonderful things we had shared.

Death is horrible, but something that we all must face at some point. May I suggest that you get a book on grieving and the stages of grief so you understand the journey you are going to be taking. Good luck and be strong.

Katie,
Words fail me, but blessings to you and your husband on the path that lays ahead of ye.
Rita

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back