• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not the right page but an interesting inquiry

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I am off for a summer vacation on the Italian lakes, Como Garda etc, seems there is a 12th century church dedicated to Saint James in Ballagio! Not exactly on the pilgrims route not on the Via Francigena not on the route from Venezia. Why here? 12th Century is a time of the Popes at Avignon and schism The French have their own collection of saints of whom no one else has ever heard of. The Italians have their own favorite saints as well. Spanish rule in the area is only from 16th century. Anyone have an idea of why Saint James in Bellagio at this time?
Scruffy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
maybe a missionary toddled off in that direction?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
scruffy1 said:
I am off for a summer vacation on the Italian lakes, Como Garda etc, seems there is a 12th century church dedicated to Saint James in Ballagio! Not exactly on the pilgrims route not on the Via Francigena not on the route from Venezia. Why here? 12th Century is a time of the Popes at Avignon and schism The French have their own collection of saints of whom no one else has ever heard of. The Italians have their own favorite saints as well. Spanish rule in the area is only from 16th century. Anyone have an idea of why Saint James in Bellagio at this time?
Scruffy

Make sure to visit Cafe Bar Rossi on the waterfront. Best coffee in Bellagio

I got to say I find your questions kind of strange.

You're surprised to find a church in Italy? A church for a saint canonized in Rome?

http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/ar ... 180-00302/

That claims building started 1075. Isn't that not much later then the finding of the tomb in Spain?

The town festa is the 25th of July so I assume it's the greater and not one of the others.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hallo scruffy,
Sain James ( San Giacomo , in italian language) is very popular in Italy.
If you go to google.it and look for images of chiesa san giacomo you'll have quite a number of pictures to look at....
Wish you a nice vacation
Giorgio

Blogs are such an inconvenient way of trying to communicate-true I am not the brightest bulb in the shop but there seems to be an amazing interest in Saint James the 12th century - churches in Venice and the Dolomites I have seen, Bellagio not yet. According to some authors, by the middle years of the 11th century the Santiago and the cult of Saint James had became a pan-European place of peregrination, second only to Rome and Jerusalem while other sources maintain make that the cult to Saint James was before 11-12th centuries an essentially Galician affair, supported by Asturian and Leonese kings attempting to earn foster Galician loyalties. The 12th century saw a huge influx of relics from the Crusaders and the Holy Lands creating chapels and churches all over Europe dedicated to almost any Biblical figure one might name and all this even before the treacherous Fourth Crusade in the 13th century which flooded Western Europe with the treasures of Istanbul. Perhaps the church in Bellagio was consecrated on a July 25, all that can be said is that as in the Dolomites we find a wonderful church dedicated to Saint James in the middle of what was then nowhere at best a fortress for neighboring towns and again ask why.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back