• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NOT the surliest barman

peregrina2000

Staff member
Armed with the warning about the man who was supposed to give us the keys to the albergue in the inquisition building in Salmeron, we entered smiling and saying we brought greetings from Pepe in Villaconejos. We got a half smile and very gracious treatment.

The woman member of the family (his daughter?) was positively gregarious. She came over and chatted and brought us oranges.

The new PR strategy may be because in a few weeks, there will be another bar in town run by a young couple. Competition will not be good for the Cazador. The new people brought us inside to show us around and told us they would be cooking “real meals.”

I have attached a picture of the Cazador and one of the new place en obras. Any forum members who walk the Lana, check the new place out and report back. It’s on the route from Cazador to albergue.

Attachments

• IMG_8500.jpeg
    IMG_8500.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 579
  • IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice - but the second bar was operative already in 2019: "La Mazmorra" I think. I ate a tortilla de patata and chatted a bit with the owners. Maybe new owners now?

Yes, the new bar looks familiar - sort of below the albergue? In 2019 they were kind and helpful - no hot food but they made us bocadillos for the next day.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice - but the second bar was operative already in 2019: "La Mazmorra" I think. I ate a tortilla de patata and chatted a bit with the owners. Maybe new owners now?
Yes it’s La Mazmorra. They told me the municipality owns the building, so they have the concession. It’s supposedly an old prison. Sounds like they had a lot of prisons in Salmeron. I am surprised that the dark bar lined with animal heads could survive while this place couldn’t.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes it’s La Mazmorra. They told me the municipality owns the building, so they have the concession. It’s supposedly an old prison. Sounds like they had a lot of prisons in Salmeron. I am surprised that the dark bar lined with animal heads could survive while this place couldn’t.
Well considering COVID-19 occurred in the years between, whose to say what went down. But..always nice when there are options on out routes.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back