• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not-to-miss places (albergues, towns, beaches and churches)in the Camino del Norte during the fall

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
What were your favorite albergues, beaches, towns and churches in the Caminó del Norte. And why? I’m hoping for a fall Camino this year. Also If you have walked in the fall how late would be latest to walk if you want to stay in albergues and enjoy a rather fall weather instead of a the heat of the summer or the cold of the winter? Thank you kindly!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in 2018 and there were only a few sprinkles and I started in mid October.
This was a really wonderful place I stayed near the end of the camino. It started to rain right after I arrived and rained the whole night. When I left in the morning it magically stopped about 2 minutes after I left.
Of course there is the really famous:
I had the honor of sitting next to a man at the communal dinner who had walked the Norte 4?x (I think he said) and after dinner when I commented that I really didn't think dinner was all that tasty he said it was by far the worst dinner he had there and it must have been a really off night haha
Gronze shows this place as temporarily closed but it was a lot of fun staying there and the dinner was good.
There are so many nice beaches you will long on, along, or above to count. I am not real big on churches so can't help you there. There are also so many really nice beach towns that you will stay in. It is a wonderful camino. There were other really good albergues I slept in. Just can't remember the names.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am planning a late September Camino del Norte and it will be the first time on this route. I'll be following this thread carefully for sure! Thanks for posting this topic!!

A starter from me, but there will be others

Comillas (La Puerta de los Pájaros) (3357) - lots of Gaudi there but some you'll have to pay to see
Santillana del Mar (0171) - popular but touristy
Gijon (0241) - Lively city
Ribadesella (0212) - beautiful beach and views
Navia (0300) - Great beach bars at river's mouth
Various beaches along the way (0271)

Pics from Sept 2022

Attachments

• IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_E3357.JPG
    IMG_E3357.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Give yourself an extra half day at Santillana Del Mar to visit the Museo Altamira just 2 km south. You can easily walk it or more easily taxi. The museum is an EXACT reproduction of the adjacent cave where inhabitants painted extremely lifelike pictures of the local fauna 16,500 years ago. 3 euros to enter. Worth 100x that for the mind blowing experience. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked in 2018 and there were only a few sprinkles and I started in mid October.
This was a really wonderful place I stayed near the end of the camino. It started to rain right after I arrived and rained the whole night. When I left in the morning it magically stopped about 2 minutes after I left.
Of course there is the really famous:
I had the honor of sitting next to a man at the communal dinner who had walked the Norte 4?x (I think he said) and after dinner when I commented that I really didn't think dinner was all that tasty he said it was by far the worst dinner he had there and it must have been a really off night haha
Gronze shows this place as temporarily closed but it was a lot of fun staying there and the dinner was good.
There are so many nice beaches you will long on, along, or above to count. I am not real big on churches so can't help you there. There are also so many really nice beach towns that you will stay in. It is a wonderful camino. There were other really good albergues I slept in. Just can't remember the names.
Thank you kindly! If you remember any others, pls let us know.

A starter from me, but there will be others

Comillas (La Puerta de los Pájaros) (3357) - lots of Gaudi there but some you'll have to pay to see
Santillana del Mar (0171) - popular but touristy
Gijon (0241) - Lively city
Ribadesella (0212) - beautiful beach and views
Navia (0300) - Great beach bars at river's mouth
Various beaches along the way (0271)

Pics from Sept 2022
Awesome pictures and suggestions too. Thank you kindly for sharing it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Give yourself an extra half day at Santillana Del Mar to visit the Museo Altamira just 2 km south. You can easily walk it or more easily taxi. The museum is an EXACT reproduction of the adjacent cave where inhabitants painted extremely lifelike pictures of the local fauna 16,500 years ago. 3 euros to enter. Worth 100x that for the mind blowing experience. Buen Camino
In my list. Thank you kindly!

O xistral was one of my favourite albergues too. I liked El Reposo de Andayon in Cuerres also very much

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back