• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

not very often discussed minor discomforts, "heat rash" and blisters on hands

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
So we all start our Camino's with the feeling that we are prepped to address blisters and other feet and knee problems. So I was totally surprised last June that a weird looking rash developed on my lower legs 3 times during the entire Camino. It came and went after 4 or 5 days. I initially feared some "blood flow" issue . So I looked it up and it turned out to be "heat rash" . Harmless and painless.....so no big deal... but it looked pretty unpleasant ....so if some of you future "summer Pilgrims" will get it....now you know :) I never had one single blister on my feet, however 2 on my hands from my hiking poles. Again NO big deal, but just tape your hands or get some cheap workout gloves.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also suffer from that rash, it's known as 'Golfer's Vasculitis'.

Pharmacies and doctors will prescribe a steroid cream which helps the symptoms a bit, but doesn't stop it happening.

I shall be wearing thinner wool socks this time, take off my boots more during the day, and try to use ice/wet towels as often as I can in an attempt to relieve the symptoms.

It does look scary though!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yep! I get that too, quite badly.
I can't wear anything green on top because I would look like a newly-harvested a giant carrot walking along the path.:D
Buen Camino
Ha ha ! Great:)
I also suffer from that rash, it's known as 'Golfer's Vasculitis'.
It does look scary though!
Yes I agree...it looks pretty bad. I didn't treat it with anything there it does go away after 3 or 4 days and it (thankfully) didn't itch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used to get it wearing boots, and once in joggers wearing socks with too tight a basque. Never in sandals.

So we all start our Camino's with the feeling that we are prepped to address blisters and other feet and knee problems. So I was totally surprised last June that a weird looking rash developed on my lower legs 3 times during the entire Camino. It came and went after 4 or 5 days. I initially feared some "blood flow" issue . So I looked it up and it turned out to be "heat rash" . Harmless and painless.....so no big deal... but it looked pretty unpleasant ....so if some of you future "summer Pilgrims" will get it....now you know :) I never had one single blister on my feet, however 2 on my hands from my hiking poles. Again NO big deal, but just tape your hands or get some cheap workout gloves.
I keep my hiking pole straps very carefully adjusted so that wrists take the stress - I grip the pole handles only tightly enough to keep them from popping out of my hands. After a few days walking I noticed that the left strap was slightly shorter than the right and was pinching a nerve in my thumb. I had replaced the straps before leaving home so knew how to take the straps off and adjust them. They are now OK. If you play with your gear a bit (disassemble and reassemble) and get to know the finer points, you might benefit from knowledge of subtleties of which you were unaware. Maybe talk to the supplier, my pole supplier sent me free replacement straps when the original set wore prematurely. I had to learn to remove and replace them myself.

I saw two German guys today with the most powerful pole technique I've seen. They could have stopped moving their legs and still would have moved along - pushed by their poles! I'm exaggerating, but only a little.

Buen Camino, - Mike

... I was totally surprised last June that a weird looking rash developed on my lower legs 3 times during the entire Camino...
My wife developed the same "golfers' rash," but in her case it appeared during our training walks prior to the Camino. She switched from merino wool socks to Wig-Wam Cool Max socks and the rash never returned, either in training or on on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Using poles, I find the backs of my hands were fully exposed to the sun. After one too many sunburns I started wearing either bicycle gloves (has padding on palms) or sungloves. Problem solved!

I do plan to try different socks, but I have experienced it before, when wearing sandals (and bare legs) on visits to Florence and Barcelona. It's obviously something I am prone to, and I'll just have to grin and bear it (though not bare it for fear of revolting others!).

Lol you want to know about my rash??? Or other ailments?? :) I am a 56 YO hairy back male who laughs at the very topic of rash talk as it was on my bum need more info??? :)
Oh the humanity of the Camino...:)

Regardless of your blight while walking the pharmacias are a blessing! You don't even have to drop your trousers to get good stuff.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.