• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Not Walking... but do you ever

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
There's not so much camino chat right now. I (like most of us) am at home thinking up things that we can do to occupy our lives for the next 2 to 4 to 8 to who knows weeks.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook today that she is lonely. She lives alone and, whilst she has animals, she posted that she feels so isolated already. In my real world I am always out, always busy, always working, walking and seeing friends and this enforced stay at home is hard. Of course, in comparison to so many people I know that it's not 'hard' and I sound churlish but nonetheless...

There is a sadness and an anxiety that creeps in. As an example, over lunch we were sat enjoying the spring sunshine and watching the birds queue for their lunch from the bird feeder... it's beautiful. But amongst this glorious scene I turned to my husband and said... this could be our last spring. How sad that those thoughts are in my mind... underneath and being pushed back... but nonetheless there.

How are you managing this? What is your method of staying positive - what strategies to you employ to stay up-beat in a world of noise and sadness?

p.s. Reading this is sounds like I'm really sad... I'm not... I'm just thinking out loud really.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walk or cycle. It leaves me solitary but exercise and the outdoors does much for mental health. What will be will be. Live in the moment and enjoy it for what it is. Don't listen or watch the news too much also helps.

I do two things everyday since last Monday when I had to shutter my business. I organize/purge/clean in the morning a couple of hours. Then in the afternoon I do exercise either a long walk, yoga (check out on YouTube “30 says of yoga by Adrienne” or abdominal exercises to keep my core strong (I’m soon to be 64) or exercises to strengthen my muscles. Just bought two 1,000 piece puzzles 😳😬 (never did a puzzle before yikes) and went through books I had but never read to do a bit of reading everyday. All things to keep my body and mind busy. For my spirit I’ve been praying for the sick and front line workers. Thinking now about what I can do to help in my community. In Canada we are asked to stay home and so physical distancing. However maybe I can bring groceries to people who are either too old or in isolation. For me this is a time to stay even more present and not try to play the “what if” game. Whatever you decide to do to keep busy and do things that give you a sense of control. You’d be surprised how much is still in your control with the power of choice. ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seeing Belgium is also in almost lockdown, travel from home to work is restricted.

Minimal attendance at work ( we are on a roster schedule ) but we have to be there because we work in mental health and not everything can be handled from home.

So when working from home I keep the same schedule as when working.

Alamclock in the morning.
Breakfast.
Dressing ( even if it would be ok to stay in PJ's ).
Laptop and cellphone open from work at 8.30.
Lunchbreak.
Back to work after 30 minutes break.
Depending on the workload I can mostly stop around 4 pm.
( Our boss understands that we will not always be working our normal eight hours per day from home because not all can be done through telework ).
Then a daily walk of at least one hour! It is so nice to be outdoors and greeting people, taking in regard the social distance.

Calling my mother twice daily at a pre-arranged hour to know she is ok.

Prepping dinner and making use of all my cookerybooks I

Short talk over the fence with my neighbours at both sides also on a daily basis.

We are lucky to live in these modern times with the availabilty of social media. Meesenger , Whatsapp and this forum are now a great comfort.

The eight o ' clock news but limiting the input of information from other newssources.

Rearranging my Spotifylist and reading.

And applauding everyone who is the frontline of battling this virus!

Last edited:
I walk or cycle. It leaves me solitary but exercise and the outdoors does much for mental health. What will be will be. Live in the moment and enjoy it for what it is. Don't listen or watch the news too much also helps.

I really want to go for a walk. There is a circuit around our house... in total it is 4.5 km and we would normally walk this 2-3 times a week.

The new rules say stay 1km from your house.... technically I think we possibly do but we're not sure if we should go... stay at home means stay at home. The circuit goes by fields and through a forest and we never see anyone else... even before the lock-down... but still... we feel we should stay at home?

We have spent an hour or two digging over the vegetable beds... that feels productive.

I have no work as all concerts are cancelled... no rehearsals... no randonee ... no french lessons. I hope I never take these gifts for granted again.

@LesBrass , that is quite strict indeed with the 1 k rule but fully understandable. Virologists here recommend that local walk because they say we will be in here for the long haul. I do understand though your doubts.

And yes , this pandemic really makes you aware of what is imported in life!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really want to go for a walk. There is a circuit around our house... in total it is 4.5 km and we would normally walk this 2-3 times a week.

The new rules say stay 1km from your house.... technically I think we possibly do but we're not sure if we should go... stay at home means stay at home. The circuit goes by fields and through a forest and we never see anyone else... even before the lock-down... but still... we feel we should stay at home?

We have spent an hour or two digging over the vegetable beds... that feels productive.

I have no work as all concerts are cancelled... no rehearsals... no randonee ... no french lessons. I hope I never take these gifts for granted again.

I think the idea is to be isolated from contact with others and, in the UK at the moment, this mean being no closer than 2M from each other. So my view is as long as I comply with that the benefits to me outway the risks. I live in a rural area and apart from groceries and chemists can easily avoid contact. I cannot comment on other countries requirements but I guess that if you are close to the 1kM radius and avoid close contact you will be fine.

There's not so much camino chat right now. I (like most of us) am at home thinking up things that we can do to occupy our lives for the next 2 to 4 to 8 to who knows weeks.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook today that she is lonely. She lives alone and, whilst she has animals, she posted that she feels so isolated already. In my real world I am always out, always busy, always working, walking and seeing friends and this enforced stay at home is hard. Of course, in comparison to so many people I know that it's not 'hard' and I sound churlish but nonetheless...

There is a sadness and an anxiety that creeps in. As an example, over lunch we were sat enjoying the spring sunshine and watching the birds queue for their lunch from the bird feeder... it's beautiful. But amongst this glorious scene I turned to my husband and said... this could be our last spring. How sad that those thoughts are in my mind... underneath and being pushed back... but nonetheless there.

How are you managing this? What is your method of staying positive - what strategies to you employ to stay up-beat in a world of noise and sadness?

p.s. Reading this is sounds like I'm really sad... I'm not... I'm just thinking out loud really.
Gosh Les Brass
You said it the same time as I was thinking much the same
Crying my eyes out this morning at the thought of not being able to hug my children........but it's them that won't hug us in case they pass on anything

And my older girl is in Abu Dhabi with her Italian husband and they're worried about her father in law in Tuscany who is 76 and stuck at home....he won't even let his daughter in and the image of a once proud strapping man who was always on the go..is heartbreaking ..and now this

And yet I cannot let the fear get to me but I wake in the morning fearful for the world right now
I do not fear this situation myself ...there's no point in that, but I have met those who are absolutely terrified. We just all have to do our bit with the recommendations given.

We have to shop and we do so when the supermarkets have the designated "oldie" times and we shop for disabled relatives and my elderly Spanish neighbour ....who has no family here as all her relatives are in Spain and if anything happened to her have no way of getting to her and visa versa

We have to do it so we just get on with it ...otherwise we stay home

Now thank heavens that frontline NHS now have designated shopping time too as the selfish actions of so many here has frequently left then without the basics

The weather is lovely here at the moment as we enjoy the garden and over the next few weeks it will be gardening as usual with planting up pots and borders

Just wondering about your and Sapines walking and exercise .....here in the UK it is still encouraged to walk as long as people keep a distance so from Monday we will be walking in our local forests and coastal paths or walking around the lake just down the road

My concern is that a lot young people have not realised yet how contagious this virus is and it's not going away any time soon ...some of them need a reality check and change their behaviour

We just pray for all the frontline staff out there and hope they keep well and healthy....who knows, but some of us will no doubt need them sooner than we realise

And on the funny side my daughter recently said that at the end of this ..there will be a lot of divorces and a lot of new babies!!!!
All the best
Annette

As Les said above "this could be our last spring".

Indeed here in champagne my husband Bill and I at 80 and 81 after a year of extreme serious illnesses are battening down. After closing our Marne-side b&b/pilgrim house, stocking medicine and food for the next months we hope to go forward together with courage and strength of will towards the inevitable.

Memories of successful past camimo efforts help me keep going.

Ever since I found this Forum in 2009 each morning I have read/replied to the posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine. One pleasure across the past decade has been the discovery of digital friends in unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me

Stay safe and well dear companions,
May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As Les said above "this could be our last spring".

Indeed here in champagne my husband Bill and I at 80 and 81 after a year of extreme serious illnesses are battening down. After closing our Marne-side b&b/pilgrim house, stocking medicine and food for the next months we hope to go forward together with courage and strength of will towards the inevitable.

Memories of successful past camimo efforts help me keep going.

Ever since I found this Forum in 2009 each morning I have read/replied to the posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine. One pleasure across the past decade has been the discovery of digital friends in unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me

Stay safe and well dear companions,
May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.
You know already how much I value and appreciate you. Especially this year, and you know why. I count you in every day to my names in my candles. I would like to take this opportunity to spread out my expression of gratitude and thanks to everyone on the forum. Those with whom I communicate regularly, those I hardly know: thanks for your share in this virtual community. I pray, truly, for us all.

And on the funny side my daughter recently said that at the end of this ..there will be a lot of divorces and a lot of new babies!!!!

My husband said the same... for a lot of families this will be the first time they have to stay together all the time. Fortunately me and mine have lived and worked together since 4 weeks after we met... when he's not around I miss him ❤

I have one son in the UK at university... I keep telling him to be careful but he thinks he'll be fine. He had childhood asthma and I keep asking if he still has his inhaler... he tells me he's a man now and to stop worrying but that's never going to happen :oops: Our other son is in Spain and I worry for him and his girlfriend. Spain is much worse that France at the moment... I wish I could be like a mother hen and herd them all back home safely.

@Stroller the distance thing is being imposed by gendarmes... I think its 135€ fine? But I do agree if we go alone it should be ok? Today we've spent hours gardening so I dont think we're up to it today! But next week I think I'll risk it. A walk as we know is very good for lifting the spirits.

Stay safe pilgrims 🥰

You were the first person I sent a message too here... I think one of the first to say hello. I have learned so much from you and your wise words and knowledge of the camino... I'm glad you found the forum... maybe without your initial encouragement I would never have taken my first steps

Stay well pilgrim ❤

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I live now 2hours drive away from my children in a rural area, almost an island...we are connected by a few bridges to the mainland. My husband is in hospital for rehab and of course I can't visit. My son finally is working from home.... but my daughter is a front line health worker. ..she is an ICU nurse in one of the intake hospitals for COVID-19. She tells me it's just a matter of time for her to be infected. My kids saw each other 1 week ago and when they said good bye... she told her brother "see you in a few months". Needless to say I am very worried for her.
Myself I am pretty relaxed for myself. Social distancing is normal where I now live.
Prince Edward County in Ontario is pretty isolated until the summer tourist season starts. We are the second wine region in Ontario with plenty of vineyards, breweries, millenials that moved here and started selfsustainable farms. Hotels, B&B's , Provincial Parks and beautiful beaches. Everything is in lock down.
I love to hike like all of us here and I hike in my backyard. .. can't walk at the beach or in the park. I cook a lot, it relaxes me and freeze for later on so I can be outside a lot working my garden. I am creating a new guest room in the loft in the hope that when this is all over... all my out of County friends will visit. I am sorting thru my closets and bookshelves. Catch up on neglected paperwork and make plans and dream about my next Camino. Most importantly I keep a daily routine and ditch my PJ's asap in the morning and get dressed ... and yes I even put on minimal make up.
My seasonal neighbours are not here yet or might not come this season, the rest of us we are now in a fb group and we phone each other on a regular basis. We are mostly seniors in our immediate neighborhood.
We are so fortunate to be able to reach out and connect via social media.
Keeping you all close to my heart. Stay Home - Stay Safe! Light and Love.

Gosh Les Brass
You said it the same time as I was thinking much the same
Crying my eyes out this morning at the thought of not being able to hug my children........but it's them that won't hug us in case they pass on anything

And my older girl is in Abu Dhabi with her Italian husband and they're worried about her father in law in Tuscany who is 76 and stuck at home....he won't even let his daughter in and the image of a once proud strapping man who was always on the go..is heartbreaking ..and now this

And yet I cannot let the fear get to me but I wake in the morning fearful for the world right now
I do not fear this situation myself ...there's no point in that, but I have met those who are absolutely terrified. We just all have to do our bit with the recommendations given.

We have to shop and we do so when the supermarkets have the designated "oldie" times and we shop for disabled relatives and my elderly Spanish neighbour ....who has no family here as all her relatives are in Spain and if anything happened to her have no way of getting to her and visa versa

We have to do it so we just get on with it ...otherwise we stay home

Now thank heavens that frontline NHS now have designated shopping time too as the selfish actions of so many here has frequently left then without the basics

The weather is lovely here at the moment as we enjoy the garden and over the next few weeks it will be gardening as usual with planting up pots and borders

Just wondering about your and Sapines walking and exercise .....here in the UK it is still encouraged to walk as long as people keep a distance so from Monday we will be walking in our local forests and coastal paths or walking around the lake just down the road

My concern is that a lot young people have not realised yet how contagious this virus is and it's not going away any time soon ...some of them need a reality check and change their behaviour

We just pray for all the frontline staff out there and hope they keep well and healthy....who knows, but some of us will no doubt need them sooner than we realise

All the best
Annette

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This feeling of isolation for some is what others who deal with social anxiety feel much of the time. This forum is made up of the most caring, helpful, and compassionate folks. The usual pleasantries we exchange here on this forum and in our daily lives, the virtual hugs and those in real time, the uplifting words of hope and inclusiveness are so often missed by people who live much like a hermit or those who experience anxiety interfacing with the general public. When this pandemic lifts, and everyone gets back to their “normal,” may everyone reach out with a smile and words of encouragement and inclusiveness to those on the fringe, who feel their lives today...in the midst of a pandemic...are really no different than any other! I ache for them!

I would think you could do that short walk, if it is a circuit around your hous, so long as you have your attestation. I count myself very lucky, we have 5 hectares, so many fields to walk in and lots of work to do ........ and the sun is shining.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I still like to watch Camino videos and dream of better days to come. We will get through this. My parents and grandparents lived through a lot worse.

I also think that what the current situation is demonstrating is that when people as a whole really believe many lives are at stake they will: turn their own lives upside down, say "to heck with the economy, we will find a way to rebuild it", retool industries to meet the urgent needs, and more. It is a lesson that my parents and grandparents lived through but my own generation forgot.

In my unreasonably optimistic moments I hope that when things settle down again we will apply those important lessons to climate change.

You got it in one: ‘sadness and anxiety’! Sums it up perfectly.
I also had the same conversation with my husband this evening, only we said ‘ this may have been our last Christmas’.
Our four children are now far away and we always meet at Christmas and Easter. Well, Easter reunion won’t happen this year....
I have one son living in Hong Kong and that was dramatic enough.... He is now back there where it is safer than London (although still in quarantine!).
How do we cope? Like everyone else I suppose. Putting up (what else is there to do?) and hoping for the best whilst expecting the worst (in my case, haha.)
The funny thing is, I am worried about my children and they are worried about us, just because we are older.
Uncertainty is always very hard to cope with (for me anyway). I just don’t know what is around the corner nowadays. Maybe that’s how we should have lived, not taking anything for granted?
Day to day, I go from my house to my allotment, weather permitting. Digging the earth and sowing things help me. It always has.
When I stay at home, I binge watch French series on TV (something I would never do normally!) and I knit! A very complicated bedspread which both my daughters said they would never consider finishing for me should I die. So I’ve just got to get on with it 😁

I have left behind all thoughts of prospective walks, I just can’t cope with that at the moment. All my plans are noted down, in detail and ....now just ignored.

I live from day to day. We cook, we eat, we work on the allotment..... I should read more (I have so many books awaiting) but I find it difficult to concentrate at the mo.

So no, @LesBrass , I don’t find it easy. At all. But I count my blessings.
That keeps me going 😉

I miss my weekly schedule, with many regular activities. But my daily schedule is more regimented than ever, since I can organize to do the same schedule every day. I pray twice a day: morning prayer as close to the same way that I prayed it with my small community at Church, when there was Church, then Visperas in Spanish in the evening, from an app. This evening and tomorrow will be the feast of the Annunciation, so I look forward to that. This prayer holds me to my faith, my Church community, and my caminos. I do yoga with an online yoga routine every day, instead of my twice a week classes- this helps to keep me flexible. I try to get in a walk every day that the sidewalks are not too icy and the streets not too crowded with others desperate for some outdoor time at the end of a long winter. These walks, given the weather, are infrequent. I have had long talks with three of my brothers: one local, one in Florida, one in the Philippines. I occasionally chat with neighbours from a safe distance, when we happen to meet. I read a lot, whatever will keep me entertained. It has become harder to find available material that will keep my attention from the city's online library, which is in strong demand.
The only activity that I am finding stressful is grocery shopping, necessary about once a week, but my greatest place for contact with careless others. On my last trip to the grocery store, a teenage girl approaching me in the aisle suddenly bent over and sneezed explosively. As I backed quickly away, she and her companion laughed at me. And things were not hygienic at the checkout. But I have to continue eating, and my (now not so secret) bad habit is eating junk food, on top of my usual diet. I tell myself that I shall not buy any more when I run out. Unlike younger persons, I am retired and expect to get my usual government benefits, so no worry about paying the rent. I had a lot of general anxiety at first, but am organized and fairly relaxed now. I do not find solitary living stressful.

domigee: ...I find it difficult to concentrate at the mo(ment)... not quite a haiku, but captures what is wrong with me right now. I have little piles of paper all around my laptop. Normally it would take me half an hour to go through them, deal with them, no longer have them in the metaphorical pending tray. They have taken up vacant possession. Maybe I am resisting sorting them in case...
weird times are with us
weirder ones are lurking still
weird times don't dig in...

I've learned so much from The Camino - to live in the moment and to let go of the things I really cannot do anything about. I've learned also that I MUST WALK, so walking to the store and home works, as does walking down and up seven flights of stairs a couple of times a day (as long as the knees agree), and going for the occasional 5-7 mile wander up and down hills in the 'hood and in the parks that are open for physical well-being (but keep your distance from others). And occasionally, I MAKE myself work on all those projects I've put aside for when I can't get out anymore. BUT WAIT - I'm not sure THIS is quite what I had in mind regarding "can't get out anymore" - but never mind, it is what it is... And the most important thing is maintaining strength, health, and a semblance of mental acuity so I can walk from Le Puy to Santiago - maybe not August thru November, as planned, but at some point in the near future!
Buen Camino to you all! Thanks for being here!
Terry

Our lockdown begins at midnight tonight so we are a bit behind the rest of you.
My most important way of holding on to joy is to give thanks. For everything.
I’m thinking of starting a wee lockdown journal too to write out my thanks, to draw something from each day, to jot down the recipes we make, to record the poems that seem to pop into my head almost every morning as I walk.
Here’s today’s one. Maybe it can brighten your day a wee bit:

All those moments
Just before something happens,
God knows
He holds

The instant
Before
A leaf leaves its branch,
Flutters earthwards
Or an entire tree thunders down,
Uprooted

That moment
Before
A sniffle or tickle in the throat
Signals a coming cold
Or an announcement of a new virus in China
Heralds a change
We can barely comprehend,
Encompasses the whole world

That moment
Before
A thought is conceived
And words tumble into a poem
as I walk

God knew
God held those moments
And He holds us

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So, LesBrass, you ask how we manage with all this. I am sanguine. I suppose since I have no family and am retired, I see these times from a different perspective than most. I live quite rurally, so don't have access to many things city folk normally have and may now be missing. I am in the medical field and also have a doctorate in History of Medicine, so again I deal with the pandemic from another angle. I mostly stick to my routine, but there are some things I cannot do because things are closed. There are plenty of things I now have time to do that I have been wanting to complete (although I am ever putting off washing the windows!). I've always lived my life as if I could be dead any time, so have always followed Carpe Diem. I try not to do anything where I'd have significant regrets. I have gratitude for my many blessings.
I figure Mother Nature now is taking care of herself since the human population seems incapable of doing so. To sum up, as the Lady Julian said, "And all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

I am so fortunate to have my own ( nearly own when nobody is on the trail) Camino track quite near to my home base in rural Denmark. A good stretch, a mere half day´s walk, where my sticks and I can pace the day away.
In the other end is our Church of Sct Benedict , where our local Danish group have placed a proper bronze scallop at the entrance.
I always bend down and pat it gently before going to my local café of choice and order a Café Cortado. The young people there smile and report to me when another pilgrim has just ordered the same choice of coffee. I preach its blessings. They call me the Cortado Man..
But the café had to close down due to the virus so this has changed.
But the garden has beckoned me to be active; I have now sawed, axed, split and quartered every piece of wood that needed getting seen to and put every stick in piles and heaps...
My wife says, it is no problem when you are an introvert like her.
I don´t know, but some of the aspects of this exersice is very much akin to walking a camino. You have to embrace unpleasent changes. You have to plod on, and you reflect ....
Last year , much to my surprise, I has a serious heel blister and had to lay low in Puebla de Sanabria on the Via Sanabres - for six long days... walked the city in flip flops until mended....first heel blister since 1978!!
I was surprised that I did not flip my lid.
this is very much like it; - nothing you can do about it. Glad to be alive, hope to see it through without getting infected or infect others..
Our trip to Bilbao in beginning of May is as good as cancelled, next worry is my plans for September, let´s see..

Now I am off to work - walking as usual, to be with young clients who are also quarantained, we are going to the shelter in the wood to make a bonfire and bread on a plate...
We have a nice cool spell with a beautiful sunshine to counter the dreadful first quarter of rain...
Life is not too bad... let us hope the best for the rest of the world...

Last edited:
How different is my live now. Third week in isolation beginning. What bothers me most is that I can’t walk like I used to due to surgery. So I am pretty much housebound.
But I try to focus on things I can do. I have no garden to sit in, but I practice stoop sitting in the sun. I can do some exercises so I do them. I clean and cook slow but my house is kept tidy. I pray and meditate has become routine like taking a shower and brushing teeth.
The sunshine outside helps.
And yes this could be my last spring but everyday could be it. Nobody knows his or her hour. So I appreciate it the sunshine that my body is healing.
And when depression hits I do a reality check.
I lived long enough that what I hear in the silence about me is not too scary.
Meanwhile I give a hand where I can keep in tough with friends and kids all over the world. Sent them silly photos for a laugh. Or listen to them.
Am I worried about my friends and family , sure, But my Motto is cross that bridge when you need to walk it.
just like the Camino today’s walk, shoes ok food ok rain or sun here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back