• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not wanting to go home after the Camino

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I've just finished walking the Camino Frances and am spending a few days in London before returning home. The problem is I'm not looking forward to going back to an empty house. I suppose I'll need to start thinking about a Spring Camino.
Anyone else experienced feelings like this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just finished walking the Camino Frances and am spending a few days in London before returning home. The problem is I'm not looking forward to going back to an empty house. I suppose I'll need to start thinking about a Spring Camino.
I completed my1st Camino (SJPP) at the end of May and I never really, made it back'!. I'm 56, retired and I miss it every day. The 1st week on my return to the UK was really hard. I just wanted to go straight back out there. It was a fantastic adventure and next year I will walk the Northern way from Irun to Santiago. A German man I met said he thought I was a 'Camino Junkie'!! and Chrissie from Arizona told me the real thinking starts when you get home? How right they both were!!
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have a local chapter of a Camino group that might be something to join...or even a group on something you've never considered doing before (gardening, book discussion, bird watching)...I think some joy on the Camino comes from new experiences and new friends.
Happy planning of your next adventure

Your emotions are normal. On the plus side, your feelings and memories will see you through the coming winter months. You might spend the time doing research on an appropriate next Camino during the icky, cold, dark months as well.

I regularly spend from one to two hours daily on this Forum. So, you can use that content as well to ask questions.

The suggestions to find, join, and participate in the activities of any local, or nearby Camino association, club, or group, is an excellent one. I go on monthly walks with the regional APOC (American Pilgrims on Camino) here in South Florida. I find myself looking forward to spending several hours monthly with people who understand, or who are joining to learn.

Giving back, based on your experiences, is an excellent way to get involved, at a level that you control.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Your posts pains me as I have been there and it is not fun.

The good news is that planning one's next Camino is lots of fun, and unlike actually walking, it is pain free!

The rest of the good news is that you can keep part of how you felt while on the Camino back at home, if you try, if you hang on to some of the things you discovered and like about who you are when on the Camino and apply at home, in your daily life.

Did you embrace others and their differences with more acceptance? Did you reach out to help others more? Did you discover how good it feels not to sweat the small stuff? No matter what it is you may have experienced on the Camino and you think today you will miss... try to apply it at home. This is one way that has worked for me to keep me in Camino Mode, at least a bit. And every bit counts and helps make life a bit better.

You can try also to join a local group to go to mountain or just for walking, I do it myself and also mountain bike.
If you are already and active person after the Camino , you would find joy on been active,( is not the Camino experience but it will give you very good sensations .
Iternet is a fabulous way to find people and joining to one of this groups.( I enjoy doing it).
And by the way I'm in good shape and I'll go from Logroño to León next Saturday if everything is ok and the weather is ok .

Buen Camino !!
My wife just came back from Burgos to León last Sunday!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Embrace the feeling mate. Why wait until the spring? Best of British

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Stephen, sorry that you're having the post-Camino blues. There are quite a few threads about this on the forum and there's no quick fix. It's hard to switch back to reality after the intensity of a Camino, but most of us get there in the end. Planning a future Camino definitely helps, especially when you live relatively close to the Camino. I've found that the post-Camino blues have become less of a problem each year, as the Camino is now very much a part of my life and I know that as long as I'm fit enough to walk, I'll keep going back.

I also think that part of the magic of the Camino is the simple fact of being outdoors every day. I try to keep some of that magic by walking as much as I can, either on my own or with a walking club (there are lots of them in NI).

Good luck with this. It isn't easy.

I read through this thread yesterday, and was reflecting on how different my walk is this year than last. God seemed to have given me a lifetime worth of blessings on my first Camino last year, and forgotten all about me this year. After a night of sickness, I was walking along the highway into Leon this morning feeling sorry for myself and thinking that I never have a day without pain this year. Then I saw a sign on a building. It read, "Se vende o alquila," in English, "For sale or rent." Suddenly, I was swinging along the street singing "King of the road," somewhat off tune. It seems to have taken me quite a while to get into the swing of this walk. Today is a gift. It's fun. I was taking myself way too seriously. My feet still hurt, but only if I don't stop when they tell me to. Maybe God calls us slow learners on camino more than once, because we have so much to learn. May we all receive our Camino blessings with joy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I returned on July 18 after spending 29 days walking from sjpdp to Santiago de compostela. The Camino lives in me. I speak to my Camino family weekly. It only make me miss it that much more. I'm planning my return on June 7. Staying longer and walking to muxia and finnestere this time. This planning is what keeps me from losing my mind.

:confused: How can you say such a thing!!? Do you realize how envious some of us are with your having the Camino at your doorstep!! :D:D
Yes I know I'm very lucky to be so near to Camino De Santiago , but still have to count with my family , my job and my health!!
Besides all that I'm very lucky indeed!
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I came back to an empty house too and find it hard to settle back. My summer camino was really life changing this time.

I'm always planning short camino walks every time work allows me and that keeps me going. Also, I'm visiting camino friends at Christmas so that's a nice way to spend the holidays.

Many of my camino friends visit me here too. That's a great way to keep the feeling alive.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back