• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Not well in Santiago

Jsalmon

Time of past OR future Camino
(29/05/18) Camino Ingles Route
from Ferrol
(24/09/18) SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela
Hi, I’m writing from the waiting room of the Hospital in Santiago de Compostela and after I’ve been seen I need to get to an Albergue, but I’ve been looking and I’m struggling to find somewhere I can stay for 3 nights in a single room, as I’ve a raging temperature and need antibiotics and can’t face being in a dorm at the moment, but I don’t want to have to pay out loads on a regular hotel chain if at all possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions of where to try!??
Thanks in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I’m writing from the waiting room of the Hospital in Santiago de Compostela and after I’ve been seen I need to get to an Albergue, but I’ve been looking and I’m struggling to find somewhere I can stay for 3 nights in a single room, as I’ve a raging temperature and need antibiotics and can’t face being in a dorm at the moment, but I don’t want to have to pay out loads on a regular hotel chain if at all possible.
Thanks in advance
Try the Seminario Menor, If you explain your situation they may be able to help.

Nest style santiago is quite reasnoble and clean !
Hope you get well soon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Casa felisa 69 euros for single room shared bathroom for 3 nights on booking.com

Pension Hortas at rua Hortas.
Or recommended : Hostal Suso in Rua Vilar. Book directly with them and not through a booking site.

Quick recovery!!!

EDIT ; both not available on booking at moment, might be because they do not have a 24 h reception.

Search on booking for Pension San Martino Penario or Pension Via Stellae , they still have rooms available tonight...city centre and safe. And if you come in by taxi, easy to find.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance
I wish i could help, but a quick scan isn’t coming up with much. My only suggestion is that you phone directly to the suggestions made in above posts, as they could be cheaper than booking.com. Hope you manage to find something and respond to antibiotics quickly...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The hotel Campanas de San Juan is showing 47 euro/night for a single room on Booking.com. We stayed there when we arrived in Santiago and it is a nice little hotel and very close to the Cathedral. They also have a small restaurant on site. The people there are wonderful. I am sure they will help you with anything that you need.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Jsalmon - oh crikey, so sorry, no good at all .. cash poor and needing sanctuary? go for all of the above - and, I have messaged you
xx

Thanks everyone, I’ve got painkillers and antibiotics and I’m in a dorm for tonight as it was close to 10pm by the time I got into town so had to get something.... I will definitely try those suggestions tomorrow. Many thanks for all the support

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I second this. If they're still doing the cleaning Seminario Menor will allow you to leave luggage in their lockers until they reopen around 11.00. I stayed there two years ago. The single rooms are good and there's a very good shop and cooking facilities in the basement.

Phone San Martin Pinario: 981560282 and ask for a room on the pilgrim floor. Costs about 25 euros for a private room with bath and breakfast included. It is right across from the Cathedral. Good luck.

Unfortunately I have volunteers in the house, so both my two guest bed rooms are occupied, but anything else I can do to help - just tell me!

I also second the suggestion of San Martin Pineiro, it is very near to me and if you need any shopping done, moral support etc I would be close. Please tell me if you need any help and so sorry for not having a room for you! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks in advance
try Hotel/albergue la Salle single room with bathroom 25 euros very nice'

Phone San Martin Pinario: 981560282 and ask for a room on the pilgrim floor. Costs about 25 euros for a private room with bath and breakfast included. It is right across from the Cathedral. Good luck.
Hi @Jsalmon
I hope the antibiotics have kicked in overnight for you ..
I also recommend the advice above from Albertagirl. San Martin Pinario is hard to beat.
If you’re near the cathedral (San Martin is just to the right of cathedral as you walk past .,before you go under the arch) ., just walk in and ask at the desk if they have a pilgrim room available.
You can sleep in if you need to also., the cleaners won’t disturb you.. they usually wait until you’re out of the room. Leisurely breakfast available too included in the price which was E23 in May this year.
@SYates is a great person to have a chat with.
Also pay a visit to Pilgrim House for a chat with @natefaith or their helpers. Good place to get your laundry done for reasonable price , a cuppa and a chat. Hopefully you are on the mend soon
Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pension Hortas at rua Hortas.
Or recommended : Hostal Suso in Rua Vilar. Book directly with them and not through a booking site.

Quick recovery!!!

EDIT ; both not available on booking at moment, might be because they do not have a 24 h reception.

Search on booking for Pension San Martino Penario or Pension Via Stellae , they still have rooms available tonight...city centre and safe. And if you come in by taxi, easy to find.
Pension Hortas is my all time favourite!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks in advance

Follow SYates advice above. Get to San Martin Pinario, just though the arch, then immediately to your left, opposite the north side of the Cathedral. Then, use either SYates (resident Camino Angel) or the very kind folks at the Pilgrim House.

Sybil's home is about 10 minutes walk from Plaza Obradoiro. You can send SYates a private conversation message through this forum, No one else will see it.

You will be in very good hands.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It is 4/5 levels high, with no elevator though....
Also when I stayed there in 2015 pilgrims were required to vacate their rooms at the Seminario Menor every morning until the afternoon to allow for cleaning.

Thanks in advance
Ask for a 4th floor pilgrim room at San Martin Pinario. It is behind the cathedral and single rooms for good price.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second this. If they're still doing the cleaning Seminario Menor will allow you to leave luggage in their lockers until they reopen around 11.00. I stayed there two years ago. The single rooms are good and there's a very good shop and cooking facilities in the basement.
And if they didn’t use the room they will let you drop your stuff before 10 am.. they did for me.

Hi everyone, thank you all so so much for your kind messages. I didn’t have much luck with SM as I tried phoning and the language barrier was an issue, but I have found somewhere where although it’s a dorm, they are quiet at the moment and will fill up all the other places before putting anyone with me, so I should get enough rest.
I’m very touched by the messag

Walk over to San Martin Pinario. They DO speak English at the front desk. If you have a credencial, they will guarantee you at least two nights if they have the rooms available. If demand for pilgrim rooms is currently low, they will let you stay longer. It remains the best deal in town for a private, en-suite.

You can also send Sybil (SYates) a PM thought this forum. You can count on her to come to assist you, really, she will...;)

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agree with many above. San Martin Pinario one of the best deals on town, with "all you can eat"buffet breakfast. DON'T book on Bookingdotcom. DON'T. Can I make that clear?.DON'T. They have rooms on lower floors more expensive than adjacent Parador. If you spent any of your formative years in a seminary, you'll feel doubly at home - except I've never known a seminary with ensuite! Oh and please don't tell everyone about it!

Thanks in advance
Hi I stayed in an ensuite single room in villar street through booking.com. It was very clean tidy and cost 40 euros a night....quiet and very comfortable

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks in advance
TRY AirBnB. You can find reasonable priced rooms with many different options.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks in advance
I thought the first place everybody would have mentioned was the place next to the Archway, own room and en-suite 20 euros for as long as you want brilliant people who run it

I thought the first place everybody would have mentioned was the place next to the Archway, own room and en-suite 20 euros for as long as you want brilliant people who run it

Can you post the name of this place?

thanks

David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back