• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Notes as we head into Spain (Porto-Valenca)

elzi

Currently just the portugese side of the border, here are a few helpful notes for you guys...

Taking the Metro from Porto: Everyone who did this that we met including us got very, very lost looking for the main route. If you plan to do this take a very good street map of how to get back to the main route. Once on the route the yellow arrows have been brilliant - one every few yards or so!

Rates: to get stamped at Rates (very nice stamp for your credencial) ask at the shop on route opposite the church just a little uphill from the albergue. If the shop is shut (as it was on sun eve when we stayed there) you can ring the buzzer/bell on the outside at someone will open the shop and stamp yr passport.

Barcelos to Ponte De Lima: we found this 34km stretch very tough break it up if you can however THERE IS NO ALBERGUE IN PORTELA despite John brierley´s guide indicating that there might be one opening in 2007 we were assured by everyone that it does not exist.

Ponte De Lima to Rubiaes: there is only one shop/cafe this entire day at Revolta just before you head up what is an absolutely massive and very steep hill. If you don´t stop and stock up there there will be nothing else the whole way (as opposed to every other day where there have been tons of bars and provisions)

Sao Roque: Nice hostel here around a km or so before the albergue at rubiaes BUT you will get kicked out early morning 7.30am so if you´re not a morning type walk on the the albergue..

Valenca: interesting place, if you arrive too early for the albergue (the sign claims it opens 4pm but infact it opens 5.30pm) then you can phone a mobile number and some nice firemen let you in...

All in all Portugal has been lovely, I would reccomend this way to anyone, very relaxed pace compared to the Frances, we maybe see about half a dozen pilgrims a day and there is no fighting for beds so everyone takes their time walking and stopping etc...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, yes the portugese part was lovely, unfortunately we have been hit with the Galician rain as we head into Spain! Still a lady in a spanish pharmacy gave two very wet tired pilgrims lots of free lollipops today which just shows even on the worst days people can be lovely!! :)

Few more notes on Valenca:

The yellow arrows disappear as you reach the centre (near the fort)
If you follow the arrows as far as the big roundabout with the fountains there will be no more arrows. You have three choices here...

1) go straight over the roundabout towards Spain. Follow the road stright ahead passing a turismo hut on your left as far as the road goes until you reach the big bridge over to Tui where you will pick up the arrows again.

2) turn left for the albergue in Valenca. Keep going up the road past all the hotels until you cross at some traffic lights and the albergue is right in front of the firestation.

3) turn right for pharmacy and internet. pharmacy is on rue do jardin (visible just from the roundabout) and free internet is available in the library. follow the road down until you see a sign pointing left to the "biblioteca" and the library is in a big white building. Very helpful staff and free 45 minutes online including printing if you require that!

updates later from the Spanish path!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
elzi said:
Hello, yes the portugese part was lovely, unfortunately we have been hit with the Galician rain as we head into Spain! Still a lady in a spanish pharmacy gave two very wet tired pilgrims lots of free lollipops today which just shows even on the worst days people can be lovely!! :)

Few more notes on Valenca:

The yellow arrows disappear as you reach the centre (near the fort)
If you follow the arrows as far as the big roundabout with the fountains there will be no more arrows. You have three choices here...

1) go straight over the roundabout towards Spain. Follow the road stright ahead passing a turismo hut on your left as far as the road goes until you reach the big bridge over to Tui where you will pick up the arrows again.

2) turn left for the albergue in Valenca. Keep going up the road past all the hotels until you cross at some traffic lights and the albergue is right in front of the firestation.

3) turn right for pharmacy and internet. pharmacy is on rue do jardin (visible just from the roundabout) and free internet is available in the library. follow the road down until you see a sign pointing left to the "biblioteca" and the library is in a big white building. Very helpful staff and free 45 minutes online including printing if you require that!

updates later from the Spanish path!
Buen camino!

The weather, starting Monday, will be sun sun and sun... so that is good news!

Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back