• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nothing went right

zenofmatthew

Time of past OR future Camino
10/4/21 - 10/12/21 Vega to Santiago.
Nothing went right, nothing went wrong.

I overpacked, and didn't pack enough.

I packed shoes and did it in my sandals.

I dreamt of seeing many things and didn't. I saw other things I didn't dream of.

Things were busy, but wide open also.

Made some friends, made some other friendships better.

When we saw a fork in the road, we took it.

We got lost, but did we know where we were before that?

They said the Camino provides. It did.

This time I was more of an anchor, next time I'll be more of an angel.

That's my review. How many stars? Not sure. The Camino exists under a field of stars.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I dreamt of seeing many things and didn't. I saw other things I didn't dream of.

That's my review. How many stars? Not sure. The Camino exists under a field of stars.
Very pithy review and I agree with all your sentiments. I especially like your " I got lost" which actually for me was my biggest fear. As a man asking for directions is difficult 😂. But seriously as you point out I did my camino mostly not really knowing where I was and only a vague idea of where I was going and how to get there. That is the wo der of the Camino and so much better once you accept that fact. Well done! Buen camino

The Camino does provide, and I have a sense that you came to appreciate the old adage that 'we get what we need, not necessarily what we want', and that what we need is often unknown to us.

Thank you and liked your contribution very much.

Can you be more specific?
I believe the point of his wonderful statement about his experience is not to be more specific....the beauty lies in the wonder of it all. If you try to meet all prep details, the Camino will change all that for you, so go simply and trust you will have what you need and even more than you need in ways that might surprise you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

This is beautiful, did you write it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Really beautiful. Thank you.

First off, WOW! I can't believe the response to this. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed.

To answer a couple of questions, yes I wrote this. About my backpack: it was heavy - it had a battery and a coat I didn't use. I could have used some more t-shirts and underwear, and/or maybe a second pair of pants. I did drop off that one rock off though, it lightened my load. I didn't bring a guidebook other than the one I wrote, which had all the towns, places I'd heard about that sounded cool (which I didn't see for the most part), then I filled it in as I went. Just followed the arrows, the shells, the people. If the town wasn't familiar, I knew I'd made a mistake. A little holistic GPS, if you will.

I had a couple of other quirks to my Camino ethos as well, such as "no information about either choice means no downside to either," or "don't say no unless it is illegal or immoral."

Wow, floored by this. You all are awesome.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Have No expectation and you will have no disappointments, thats how I do the Camino.

Well said

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen Camino!

Exactly. I didn't even have an expectation of finishing. If a farmer would have stopped me, I may have spent the time mucking out the barn. Didn't matter. It's been a few years.
I spent 8 days in ICU at the Santiago hospital in 2013 but went back in 2014.

Have No expectation and you will have no disappointments, thats how I do the Camino.
That is the key to much more than the camino. All the budist masters say the source of all suffering is the attachment to outcomes. In our western culture that is a difficult lesson and one I struggle with like most people I imagine. But for my norte camino I was able to grasp that mind set. I had no idea if I was even going to finish, become Injured, suffer from lack of friendship as I went alone. Become lost, that was a big outcome I did not want . Lose my wallet, that actually did happen. All I had left was my passport thank God. I met a friend on the camino and I would "venmo" him money to his account and he would go to the atm and give me cash. It was a bit of an annoyance but I still had a great time. When I got to santiago all my reordered credit cards where there waiting for me. In summary that's why the camino is such a healthy experience for our modern mind and body and soul. To shed our comfortable world for a world of the unknown and to expose ourselves to adventure and freedom snoring pilgrims and fresh Cafe con Leche at the Crack of dawn somewhere beautiful and new. Follow your heart and buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is the key to much more than the camino. All the budist masters say the source of all suffering is the attachment to outcomes. In our western culture that is a difficult lesson and one I struggle with like most people I imagine. But for my norte camino I was able to grasp that mind set. I had no idea if I was even going to finish, become Injured, suffer from lack of friendship as I went alone. Become lost, that was a big outcome I did not want . Lose my wallet, that actually did happen. All I had left was my passport thank God. I met a friend on the camino and I would "venmo" him money to his account and he would go to the atm and give me cash. It was a bit of an annoyance but I still had a great time. When I got to santiago all my reordered credit cards where there waiting for me. In summary that's why the camino is such a healthy experience for our modern mind and body and soul. To shed our comfortable world for a world of the unknown and to expose ourselves to adventure and freedom snoring pilgrims and fresh Cafe con Leche at the Crack of dawn somewhere beautiful and new. Follow your heart and buen camino.
My wife says I lose something on every walk, credit cards, nearly my life as the doctors told me I had only about 24 hours left before the poison would have spreed.

My wife says I lose something on every walk, credit cards, nearly my life as the doctors told me I had only about 24 hours left before the poison would have spreed.
Wow that is very scarey. I am hoping you are fully recovered.

Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back