• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novels along the way?

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
Do some albergues have "take-one-leave-one" libraries? I can read in Spanish, French and English.

I don't want to bring an e-reader, and I doubt that one novel will last me the whole trip - but I really would like to have a book with me. I'm starting the walk in March, and I think that cool, dark nights might mean more time for reading. In my past travels, I've found that many budget lodgings (hostels, backpacker lodges, etc) have books for trade, so that I left home with one book and just switched it for a new one as needed.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very few of them. Also very few book stores have books in English. This was a problem for me. I found a newspaper (English) in Leon and almost memorized it, I was so excited. Lorene, 80 year old peregrina of 2013.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I relented and bought an e-reader cause I don’t want to pack a book. It’s very small, lightweight and the battery lasts for 2 months.supposedly. I’ll download 2-3 books .

I second jennyleinbach. Far to much to do and see and live and be. But if you can't rest without a book in your hand take your absolute favourite, that you already have read at least twice, and this time really read it, soak up every sentence become as one with that book. It will set you up for any book less day to come.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is one in the plaza mayor in Moratinos during the summer, an experiment we started last year. It was halfway successful. Meaning TONS of pilgrims took books from the box to read, and almost NO ONE left a book to replenish supplies. Unless you count "Spain´s Best Golf Courses 1996," or "Pray the Sacred Heart Rosary" leaflets, or "The Book of Mormon" in Finnish.

There is a shelf of give & take paperbacks outside the feed store in Puente Villarente, but they all are in Spanish and some are pretty tattered. My hat is off to them for making it work.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I'm definitely not going to bring an e-reader, so I guess I'll either have to forego reading altogether or bring a book that I can read more than once.

Thanks again!
S

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I relied on the take-one-leave-one method and it worked fine for me! I just liked to read a little in the evenings before bed so the books lasted me quite a while. I found enough albergues (not tons, but enough) that offered books and always had one with me. I only read in English so it was a little more challenging- but I don't think you will have a problem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Albergue I stayed in Ages had a large shelf with leave-one-pick-one books for/from pilgrims. I left behind a fiction novel I finished that night. Reading before bedtime is very soothing to me and it has never prevented me from talking to people.... o_O. Since, I have been back to the Camino with a tablet and stored 2 guidebooks.

I read 5 novels in 40 days. It is my "go to" for relaxing and before bed. But that's me, I always have a novel to retreat to. It helps me balance the "social" aspect of the Camino too. But...that's why my e-reader is my most important piece of gear! Have a wonderful journey.

I love my read! I try to arrive by 2pm. Takes an hour for shower, change, laundry. Then it's on to the bunk for some R&R. Out comes the kindle. I like to keep 3 books on the go at any one time.
Relaxation, entertainment, and information.
One of my favourite times of the day.
Regds
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love to read, too, and haven't been converted to an e-reader (Ralph has!) so I carry a couple of paperbacks for a few moments of downtime. Choose books with more words on the page (so there's more to read). I know it's hard to do at first, but these are beach reads: I tear off the front and back cover before I start, and tear off the pages after I read them. If it turns out that you absolutely love a particular book, you can buy another copy when you get home and then you and the author will be really happy:)
An author, Susan Alcorn

I found a book or two last time walking (and was allowed to take one even if I didn't have one to leave)

These days I read Dostojevskij on my smartphone if theres absolutely nothing else to do. Theres a couple of apps that has free classics and other stuff to read so one is never entirely without

I took my ereader. Introverts need their quiet time to recharge and this is how I do it. When I walk again, I'll take my Fire, easier to do email that way and let people at home know where and how I am.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was skeptical about getting an eReader too, but my husband bought one and I was totally sold after I took it on a trip for the first time. I read every day, and a lot more on trips (especially on the plane) so having an eReader really helped lighten my load.

I took my ereader. Introverts need their quiet time to recharge and this is how I do it. When I walk again, I'll take my Fire, easier to do email that way and let people at home know where and how I am.
Like your Fire Maya2 ?
How does it go for websurfing and streaming? What difference does the 3G/4G deal make? What model did you get?
My problem is getting my hands on one to ascertain it's capabilities.
TIA
Regds
Gerard

Don't forget if you don't want to bring your kindle, you can read your books on the kindle app on your phone. I thought it would be tedious with the small screen, but was surprised at how convenient it was.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found book stores in the major cities (Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, Madrid, Sevilla etc.) and a couple of the smaller ones that I don't remember off hand with small English language sections. Not great selections but... It was challenging. I've discovered that there is a word for what I have: Abibliophobia. A fear of being without something to read. It's true, I gotta have something to read or my amazing monkey minds spins like a top. The irony is I bought an inexpensive e reader when I returned home only to find out AFTER I bought it that I couldn't actually buy books unless I was on American soil. How bizzzarrrre. So I think when I leave again, I'm going to download a bunch of the inexpensive classics. It's a very simple and relatively inexpensive e reader so I'm not overly concerned with anything happening to it.
Good luck

OMG, I have that phobia too!

Don't forget if you don't want to bring your kindle, you can read your books on the kindle app on your phone. I thought it would be tedious with the small screen, but was surprised at how convenient it was.

Yeah, I don't have a smart phone (no cellular reception where I live), but a couple of years ago a trip to the ER turned into a week in the hospital and I was very glad I happened to have my ipod touch in my purse. Incidentally, for those who have any kind of i-gadget, you can download all the titles from Gutenberg.org from ibooks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I came on the camino without a book (avid reader). (As an aside: Technically challenged, so no Kindle for me – have been gifted with one later, but have never put into use).

So in Pamplona, I couldn't resist to buy a book (in Spanish - not a good one, but I read it as best I could – thought it might improve my Spanish a bit, though!)

In Logroño I left the book and bought a very good crime/suspense book (lightweight) which I could read in lonely moments.

I had a funny experience in an albergue – I was sitting at a table in the yard reading the book. At first a Hollander, next an American came up, and we had some good and long conversations (had met both on the way).

When they left, a person leaving a table nearby came over and asked: Are you Danish? He had kind of wondered, he said – had seen I was reading a book in Spanish, that I was conversing in English, and that my carrying net (a very lightweight bag with my 'valuables') had clear markings from a Danish firm! – I confirmed, but unfortunately he just went on with whatever he was going go do, so I never got to talk further with him.

annelise

- I only saw one albergue with something which looked like a book exchange opportunity but I would not mention this the name of this here as it is an albergue I would not recommend. But if you are a 'paper book' fan, I would recommend to bring a few grammes of a 'light' paper book.

In 2006 I was able to exchange a few books with other peregrinos; and I also bought English-language books in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Astorga. The books I bought weren't always titles I'd have normally chosen, but that turned out to be not a bad thing. In 2013 I took my Kindle, which was the perfect solution.
Happy reading and buen camino,

wes.

Last edited:
I went expecting to find books to read in albergues but alas there were practically none (Roncesvalles had a lot and I think Puente la Reine had a few but that was it). I left my own novel somewhere and went bookless after that and am taking my iPad mini on my next walk so that I can read along the way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
- I only saw one albergue with something which looked like a book exchange opportunity
That's sounds like a champion idea for those who like physical books. Maybe even sell second hand ones for a couple of euros to folks who don't have one to swap. It would be nice to swap/exchange along the Way.
Must be forty years ago I was introduced to that American literary icon 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' in a hostel book exchange somewhere. (Got it on my kindle now!)
Whatever, let's encourage that exchange idea.

Regds
Gerard

I have the Fire HD. Surfing is great once you get used to the smaller keyboard. I haven't done Any streaming but it plays movies great. Very good screen. I started with the 4G, but is difficult to use internet or email. Only black and white screen. Good eReader.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back