• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novels Set In Spain, Any Recommendations?

I've just finished Laurie Lee's book. The writing is beautiful. It serves to remind us that there is more to Spain than the Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La catedral del mar, set in Barcelona area at the time the Camino must have started. Gives a good impression of the era and of how things may have been for pilgrims back then.

Also La costurera, set during wwII.

Both have been translated to English.
I agree with Anemone. La Catedral Del Mar is an excellent historical novel that explains all the various people involve with planning, designing and building a great Cathedral during the Middle Ages. It depicts the various classes of people well and is set during the Inquisition.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love to read books set in places I am planning a trip to. Currently I am reading "shadow of the wind" which is set in Barcelona. (Which I am enjoying). Have any to recommend?

So many options, so little time! I can recommend 'Barcelona' by Robert Hughes (a wonderful history, very engaging), 'Homage to Catalonia' by George Orwell (civil war reporting), and 'In the Night of Time' by Antonia Munoz Molina (a novel set in the time of the civil war, a fascinating read).

Perhaps not quite on your topic, a favourite read this year has been The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal. Not every critic agrees with her view, but it is such an interesting approach given current issues and our interest in the Camino.

I was planning to mention this book in my reply to this thread .. I really enjoyed this book. Yes, controversial with some, but very thought provoking in light of current issues, and an important perspective on an important period of Spanish history.

Anyone walking through Burguette (immediately after Roncesvalles) and Pamplona - The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. He wrote it largely while staying in Hotel Burguette (you can ask to stay in his room) and it is set in that area and in Pamplona. Now considered by many to be Hemingway's best book.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was planning to mention this book in my reply to this thread .. I really enjoyed this book. Yes, controversial with some, but very thought provoking in light of current issues, and an important perspective on an important period of Spanish history.

To many 'importants'. Can you tell I like this book?

Not a novel, but entertaining (at least for carnivores) is John Barlow's Everything But the Squeal, as he visited all of the Galician local fiestas centring on the various parts of pigs, tails, trotters, etc., to which he was driven by his tolerant vegetarian wife.

Ummmmm...........there was an obscure 20th century writer that set a couple of stories in Spain. His name was Ernest Hemmingway.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie Lees 'As I walked out one midsummer morning' is one of my all time favourites. Then read the sequel 'a rose for winter'...a sense of Spain not so distant when I first visited Spain I the mid 70's. Nowadays tho Lees Spain is almost unrecognisable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first part of Isabel Allende's novel "A Long Petal of the Sea" is set in Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War.

How about George Brenan’s ‘South from Granada’ as preparation for the Camino Mozarabe. A real treat but more a memoir than a novel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
April in Spain by John Banville (A mystery set in San Sebastian, just came out in October, entertaining)

Above the Rain by Victor Del Arbol (crime fiction)

Barcelona Dreaming by Rupert Thomson (recently published, three stories intertwining, "exploring themes of addiction, racism, celebrity, immigration, and self-delusion")

Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner (a young American in Madrid on a fellowship, this story if funny and tragic)

I love to read books set in places I am planning a trip to. Currently I am reading "shadow of the wind" which is set in Barcelona. (Which I am enjoying). Have any to recommend?
A classic is. As I walked out one Midsummer morning by Laurie Lee. He left his small village in Gloucestershire England, and walked to southern Spain, writing about his travels in a very poetic way
I expect you have read that one by now. If not please do!
I am trying to track down a book. I read many years ago, written by an English man who travelled from the coast in southern Spain to the villages up in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. I think it was published in the 1930s or maybe 50s. It is very interesting and beautifully written. Tim preston. Coltim321@gmail.com

I am trying to track down a book. I read many years ago, written by an English man who travelled from the coast in southern Spain to the villages up in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. I think it was published in the 1930s or maybe 50s. It is very interesting and beautifully written.
Tim, is the book you are looking for possibly The Road from Ronda or Sierras of the South, both by Alastair Boyd? They are wonderful books about his travels by horse through the mountains of Andalucia. Or was it Gerald Brenan's classic South from Granada?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back