• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novels Set In Spain, Any Recommendations?

AZgirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : mozarabe 2021
I love to read books set in places I am planning a trip to. Currently I am reading "shadow of the wind" which is set in Barcelona. (Which I am enjoying). Have any to recommend?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How about For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. It is set during the Spanish Civil War.
Where are you in AZ? I live in Peoria.
I live in a very very small town in the SE of the state. I've read it once before but just checked it out again! Its been a long time since I have read his books.

When do you leave for your Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or "The Sun Also Rises" - Hemingway wrote it while staying at Hotel Burgete, the village after Roncesvalles, and it is about that area and Pamplona.

I also liked Noah Gordon's "The Winemaker", "Winter in Madrid" CJ Sansom, "The Spanish Bride" Georgette Heyer, "Driving over Lemons" Chris Stewart, - now there's an eclectic mix!

And don't forget "The Moorish Whore" by our own Rebekah Scott.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you can get through the issue of bull fighting then "Death in the Afternoon" is another Hemingway read. The good thing about most these older books is that there is a good chance they are available as "e_books" so you can read them on your Camino. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No recommendations other than Hemingway. However, I'm wondering about nonfiction books about some Spain's history this past century. Any suggestions?

Re Spain's history in the past century, try "Ghosts of Spain" by Giles Tremlett. Rather a grim read and maybe considered controversial. But the Driving Over Lemons Trilogy, mentioned by Kanga, is light and funny and can be enjoyed by everyone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re Spain's history in the past century, try "Ghosts of Spain" by Giles Tremlett. Rather a grim read and maybe considered controversial. But the Driving Over Lemons Trilogy, mentioned by Kanga, is light and funny and can be enjoyed by everyone.

Indeed Margaret , was just going to write about Tremletts book. I personally liked it very much. But Stewarts books are easier to digest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks for this Margaret. Have just purchased to read...

'A Dangerous Place' by Jacqueline Winspear is a novel set in Gibraltar in 1937. Although only a small part of the story, the heroine goes over the border into Spain for a few days to experience at first hand the civil war: definitely well worth reading for this alone, for the fascinating details given.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is an engrossing novel about the Spanish Civil War: 'The Return' by Victoria Hislop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year when I had a forced pause on my Camino (blisters) I read "the last Jew" by Noah Gordon. It is about the prosecution of the Jews in Spain at the end of the 15th century, places of action throughout Spain. It was a good read.

My favorite? "The Yellow Rain," by Julio Llamazares. Superb writing, a moving story of the last man living in an abandoned mountain village in the Catalan Pyrenees.

"South From Granada," by Gerald Brennan, is another classic. This WWI English vet took his wartime pension off to the Alpujarras to live in a remote village... It was only 100 years ago, but life was downright medieval!

Weird and wonderful, if you like contemporary magical realism and you read Spanish, is Oscar Esquivias' "InquietudEn El Paraiso," set in Burgos just as the civil war is starting.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
James Michener's Iberia fits the non-fiction bill.
And for another novel - don't write it off simply because it's a kids' one - Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciekowska

I live in a very very small town in the SE of the state. I've read it once before but just checked it out again! Its been a long time since I have read his books.

When do you leave for your Camino?
I leave Sept. 14 and will start walking from SJPP on Sept. 17.

No recommendations other than Hemingway. However, I'm wondering about nonfiction books about some Spain's history this past century. Any suggestions?
Try books by Paul Preston. He wrote a biography of Franco and also has other works about the Civil War, Juan Carlos, etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
'A Dangerous Summer' by Hemingway is another book about bullfighting. I read an abbreviated version when it was serialised in Life Magazine in 1960. It's non-fiction, an account of an epic rivalry between two bullfighters of the time.

I wouldn't call it an enjoyable read, but an informative one, a very detailed explanation of bullfighting by someone who really knew what he was talking about. For instance, about why a fighting bull which survives the ring never faces a another bullfighter (because the second bullfighter will almost certainly be promptly killed).

This book includes the most detailed, dispassionate description of bullfighting (and the cheats and tricks) that I've read. It turned me off bullfighting permanently. A few years after reading 'A Dangerous Summer', I became a vegetarian. I'm still a vego after almost 50 years. Thanks Ernest.

'Pilgrimage to Heresy' and 'St James Rooster', by Tracy Saunders
'Pilgrim Footprints in the Sands of Time', by Sylvia Nilsen.

All are novels about the pilgrimage to Santiago.

Rebecca Pawel's Death of a Nationalist, while written by a US writer, is liked in Spain for its representation of the post-civil war period. I found its details of daily life fascinating.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love to read books set in places I am planning a trip to. Currently I am reading "shadow of the wind" which is set in Barcelona. (Which I am enjoying). Have any to recommend?

YES! Novels Shadow of the Wind plus the prequel and sequel are all set in Barcelona and cover the period before and after the civil war. The author is Carlos Zafon.

Don Quixote.

I was surprised at how different the original Spanish version of Don Quixote is to the English translation. The dry sarcasm about the Spanish ideal of "knighthood" seems to be missing in the English. I am about a third of the way through - you do need a good Spanish dictionary though, many of the terms used are no longer in modern Spanish usage!
Miguel de Cervantes was on board one of "Don John of Austria's" galleys at the battle of Lepanto in 1571,

Enjoy your reads
Tio Tel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those of you who enjoyed Laurie Lee's book and don't mind it being trivialised, on Thursday on Sky television in the UK Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan are in a programme following in the author's footsteps, titled Trip to Spain. They are comedians so it will be played for laughs but the scenery will be worth seeing.

If you want a serious non-fiction read, then The Spanish Civil War: A Very Short Introduction by Helen Graham is a scholarly book written for a general readership. This really caused me to rethink my understanding of events and to feel shame about my own country's role. Delete if not appropriate moderators, but this is a very even-handed book.

Spanish Steps by Tim Moore.
About his walking of the Camino Frances.
A writer of quite a few humorous 'travel' books.
Think of a younger, English, more ballsy, Bill Bryson.

I'm not usually a fan of mystery writers, but I love the books by Arturo Perez-Reverte, including The Club Dumas. In fact, I think I'm going to download one or two of his to my Kindle for my Camino in late May. Also there are a couple of short stories about the Spanish Civil War by war correspondent (and Hemingway third wife) Martha Gellhorn. When I get home I'll check her biography and my collections of New Yorker stories for their titles.

I was surprised at how different the original Spanish version of Don Quixote is to the English translation. The dry sarcasm about the Spanish ideal of "knighthood" seems to be missing in the English. I am about a third of the way through - you do need a good Spanish dictionary though, many of the terms used are no longer in modern Spanish usage!
Miguel de Cervantes was on board one of "Don John of Austria's" galleys at the battle of Lepanto in 1571,

Enjoy your reads
Tio Tel
I read it (in English) about 25 years ago. My abiding memories are of two people wandering through Spain, with heads full of romantic dreams getting into a range of "situations'. Obviously not at all relevant to the Camino, but a good read. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As mentioned above "South From Granada" by Gerald Brennan. An excellent account of southern Spain in the 1920s.

Also as mentioned above, Laurie Lee's books. Great stuff!

I'm currently reading Shadow of the Wind too! It's a good read.

I'm also working my way through Don Quijote, in Spanish. It's slow going, but even though it's set far away from the actual Camino, it still feels like it could be an early pilgrim's novel.

I haven't read The Song of Roland since college, but it's set during the Battle of Roncevaux (Roncesvalles), and I think I've read that the Camino passes by the spot where Roland fell. It might be fun to revisit the epic.

Overall, though, I'm surprised at how few books I know that are set in Spain, or by Spanish authors. I've tried reading the adventure books by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (El capitán Alatriste), but couldn't get into it.

If you're also interested in podcasts or books on tape, I have some recommendations:

#1 - Philip Daileader's three-part series on the Middle Ages, available through the Great Courses series (expensive) or audible (affordable if you buy credits). This was an incredibly well told and interesting series on a part of history that, honestly, I didn't know much about. I can't recommend it highly enough, especially since we will be walking through towns and cities that date from the middle ages.

#2 - Moorish Spain, a podcast series by The Lesser Bonapartes. Free on iTunes. These guys are amateur historians, and the podcast is pretty bro-ish, but they're fun to listen to and they cover parts of history that are often overlooked by the mainstream. The Moorish Spain series covers al Andalus, but also El Cid and the Northern Kingdoms.

#3 - The Fall of Rome podcast (also free on iTunes). There are episodes that cover the Goths and Vandals and other barbarian tribes that ended up in Iberia as the Empire collapsed.

For historical tv shows, I thought that the first season of Isabel was excellent.

Los pazos de Ulloa (The House of Ulloa) by Emilia Pardo Bazán describes wonderfully Galician aristocracy in the 19th century and the city of Santiago. And the Camino goes almost right by the real Pazo of Ulloa, near Pambre/Palas de Rei

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One of the best novels in my opinion on the Spanish Civil War: Soldiers of Salamina by Javier Cercas.

Another recommendation is "Guernica" by Dave Boling, a novel about what happened to one family there. Read this and also make a point of seeing Picasso's painting when you pass through Madrid.

Another recommendation is "Guernica" by Dave Boling, a novel about what happened to one family there. Read this and also make a point of seeing Picasso's painting when you pass through Madrid.

Boling's "Guernica" captures the history and ethos of the Basque people extremely well. His description of the actual bombing is horrific and nightmare provoking as it should be. You can see a full scale tile mural of Picasso's "Guernica" on a main avenue just a few hundred yards off the Camino Norte as it leaves town.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks so much for all the great reads, I now have quite the list to try!

Death on a Galician Shore by Domingo Villar is a crime novel but very good, particularly if you want to get a sense about the Galician people and culture.

Tony Kevin's "Walking the Camino" is beautifully written and focuses on his Mozarabe/VDLP/Sanabres experience.
I loved the Ghosts of Spain, am also a fan of Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte.
If you are game to try some simple Spanish..."Platero y Yo" by Juan Ramón Jiménez.

Tony Kevin's "Walking the Camino" is beautifully written and focuses on his Mozarabe/VDLP/Sanabres experience.
I loved the Ghosts of Spain, am also a fan of Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte.
If you are game to try some simple Spanish..."Platero y Yo" by Juan Ramón Jiménez.
Platero y Yo is now FREE for kindle. I downloaded it, thanks Donna!

A lot of good choices there for sure, but I would say avoid anything written by a modern pilgrim about their Camino experiences. The few I have thumbed through just seem like just so much embellished BS. I suppose though it would have to be, because let's be honest, any modern pilgrim's actual Camino journey put to paper is really rather boring from a reader's perspective. Especially if that reader has walked the Camino before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A lot of good choices there for sure, but I would say avoid anything written by a modern pilgrim about their Camino experiences. The few I have thumbed through just seem like just so much embellished BS. I suppose though it would have to be, because let's be honest, any modern pilgrim's actual Camino journey put to paper is really rather boring from a reader's perspective. Especially if that reader has walked the Camino before.

I could not agree more : triple like!
Don't get me wrong IMHO those stories are wonderful for the inner circle of the pilgrim but let's keep it that way.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with the last two posts. I really enjoy reading accounts of other people's Caminos. They take me back to my days on The Way, as I compare my experiences with theirs. The only thing I hate is prolonged discussions about religious enlightenment - but that's because I'm not religious.
Anyway, I'm in the process of writing about my four Caminos at the moment. This is because I can't set out on pilgrimage this May as I normally do. I've just had a hip replacement. OK, this might be therapy - but I won't be writing tedious rubbish!

Margaret Butterworth: Six months after I had a hip joint replacement, I went trekking in Nepal for two months. Walking is excellent therapy for your next camino

Thanks for the encouragement, David. As I hobble around the house on crutches it's difficult to imagine going anywhere, let alone the Himalayas!

I agree that Tony Kevin's "Walking the Camino" is a cut above the usual fare. His analysis of Spanish culture is good - he was a career diplomat and it shows.

A while ago there was a thread running about children's books for kids walking the camino. One of those mentioned was for young adults, about a medieval quest, I think with connections to Spain, can anyone remember what it was called, or who was the author?

I agree that Tony Kevin's "Walking the Camino" is a cut above the usual fare. His analysis of Spanish culture is good - he was a career diplomat and it shows.

A while ago there was a thread running about children's books for kids walking the camino. One of those mentioned was for young adults, about a medieval quest, I think with connections to Spain, can anyone remember what it was called, or who was the author?

Kanga , I think you might be referring to this book for young adults? The Ramsay Scallop by Frances Temple.
http://www.librarypoint.org/ramsay_scallop_temple

I flew in and out of Paris. I took A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. Finished it in the Paris airport the day before I started walking. It was inspirational and really got me in a good mindset traveling over from the US.

If you are after a good read.
If you are after entertainment.
If you want a literary masterpiece.
If you want the book that was regarded as the most important novel ever, by a large survey of prominent authors.
It's gotta be the "Don".
Regards
Gerard
Forgive me, but you are speaking of Quixote, right?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want terrific fiction steeped in Spanish lore; "The Blind Man of Seville" and the other 3 Javier Falcon novels.

I'm not usually a fan of mystery writers, but I love the books by Arturo Perez-Reverte, including The Club Dumas. In fact, I think I'm going to download one or two of his to my Kindle for my Camino in late May. Also there are a couple of short stories about the Spanish Civil War by war correspondent (and Hemingway third wife) Martha Gellhorn. When I get home I'll check her biography and my collections of New Yorker stories for their titles.
I read Reverte's series on Captain Alatriste. Brilliant insight into Spanish wars and living conditions for soldiers. 1600's. In a word swashbuckling.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Last Queen and A Queen's Vow are two of the historical fiction books I read prior to doing the Camino. I really enjoyed them and learning about Spanish history!

The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky (not a novel but fascinating)
Traveler's Tales: Spain: True Stories of Life on the Road by Lucy McCauley (Great short stories)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Spain in our Hearts" is an excellent book about the Spanish civil war. Highly recommended and very readable. When you are walking the Camino, you will often think about this book. Mas amor, por favor!!!!

Last year when I had a forced pause on my Camino (blisters) I read "the last Jew" by Noah Gordon. It is about the prosecution of the Jews in Spain at the end of the 15th century, places of action throughout Spain. It was a good read.
I also highly recommend The Last Jew. Noah Gordon is an amazing historical fiction writer. Also, a fantastic book called The Nightingale.....although it's mostly about France during WWII there are stunning descriptions of downed allied pilots being helped across the Pyrenees to escape the Nazis into Spain where they could be evacuated back to England. I read that part as I was crossing the Pyrenees.....blew my mind.
Two more: The Club Dumas & The Fencing Master both by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Last edited:
Here are a few more books to add to this wonderful list:
  • Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture by Matt Goulding - interesting background stories of people who make their living supplying the items that make up the regional dishes of Spain.
  • Flamingos in the Desert by Kevin Borman - excellent stories about the landscape of the province of AlmerĂ­a (where the Camino Mozarabe starts)
  • Andalus: Unlocking the Secrets of Moorish Spain by Jason Webster - including stories of the current conditions faced by Muslim immigrants
  • The Andalucian Coast-to-coast Walk or any other of Guy Hunter-Watts books on walking trails in Spain - for those who want to add a little non-Camino walking to their journey.
  • The Confident Hope of a Miracle: The True History of the Spanish Armada by Neil Hanson - a fascinating history
  • The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Antony Beevor
  • The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese by Michael Paterniti - nonfiction adventures in a small village tracking down the story of Páramo de Guzmán cheese
  • The Vanishing Velázquez: A 19th Century Bookseller's Obsession with a Lost Masterpiece by Laura Cumming - an English collector who treasures a Spanish masterpiece
  • Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree (The Islam Quintet) - by Tariq Ali - a novel set in Muslim Andalusia at the time of the Reconquest
  • Isabella: The Warrior Queen - by Kristin Downey - an intriguing biography
  • The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal - lots to interest those walking routes from Andalusia
  • A Dying Light in Corduba (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries) by Lindsey Davis - a mystery set in Roman times

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned: "The Telling Room; A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese" by Michael Paterniti.

Good book with some insight into the mind of a Castilian man. And how could you not want to read it with a title like that! I will warn, his heavy use of footnotes slows the story down.

One that is less well known (& I'm not sure if it is still in print): "Escape Through the Pyrenees" by John Dunbar.

This one is the story of a WWII pilot who was shot down over France. It details his crossing the Pyrenees (duh) and making his way to Pamplona. It's a quick and easy read, but will make you think about what it was like to make that crossing in a very different set of circumstances.

How about "The Camino" by Shirley MacLaine. Not for everyone, but a different take on the Camino. Did anyone else like this book?

The only book I finished reading, then immediately turned to the front and read it through a second time... "The Yellow Rain" by Julio Llamazares... thanks to you Rebekah Scott. It is such beautiful, poetic writing and I've long been fascinated by those crumbling, deserted villages we walk through in Spain. A 'must-read' but keep tissues handy.

Finally, I think there's been a second Llamazares translated into English ... "Wolf Moon" (Luna de Lobos).. I've preordered it from Book Depository.

Also highly recommend Carlos Ruiz Zafon's trilogy, so keep on reading AZgirl.... you might need to walk a few caminos to get through this stream of books!!
Buen camino.

I've been reading Don Quixote. Re the Civil War I would definitely give a thumbs up for Anthony Beevor's Battle for Spain, and Orwell's fantastic account of his experiences fighting with the Popular Front, Homage to Catalonia. The Sun also Rises is Hemingway at his early best AND in Pamplona.

A couple of films: Belle Epoque a sweet romantic tale set in the pre Civil War period, made in the early 90's and Buitiful: a Javier Bardem film about a man who finds out he has only a short time to live. Set in the grimmer parts of Barcelona, this is the only film that I have ever openly sobbed through! (apart from the odd sneaky cry in things like ET and Free Willy).

If you are after a good read.
If you are after entertainment.
If you want a literary masterpiece.
If you want the book that was regarded as the most important novel ever, by a large survey of prominent authors.
It's gotta be the "Don".
Regards
Gerard

I had to laugh when a Spanish pilgrim told me that Don Quixote is in almost every Spanish home but no one has actually read it. This is not meant to disparage your your excellent comment.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
How about "The Camino" by Shirley MacLaine. Not for everyone, but a different take on the Camino. Did anyone else like this book?

While on the CF I visited a small grocery store in a small town. Along a side wall there was a magazine and book rack with all titles in Spanish. Except there were three books in English, "The Camino" by MacLaine, "The Pilgrimage" by Paulo Coelho and "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I was reminded of the old quiz question "pick the one that doesn't belong." Later I realized that the owner probably picked a few English titles he might be able to sell to passing pilgrims, obviously not understanding what "The Road" was about.

While on the CF I visited a small grocery store in a small town. Along a side wall there was a magazine and book rack with all titles in Spanish. Except there were three books in English, "The Camino" by MacLaine, "The Pilgrimage" by Paulo Coelho and "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I was reminded of the old quiz question "pick the one that doesn't belong." Later I realized that the owner probably picked a few English titles he might be able to sell to passing pilgrims, obviously not understanding what "The Road" was about.

And it is the only one out of that three to be of any literary importance ( imho ).

And it is the only one out of that three to be of any literary importance ( imho ).
I won't stir things up by commenting on literary importance, but The Road the only one of those three which I enjoyed.
The other two left me cold, or worse. Horses for courses.
The Road one of my favourite books of this century. And happily things on the Camino have not got that bad yet, even with the odd bit of overcrowding and bed bugs (they say ;)).
I love the story of its being in the shop @jayree !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Perhaps not quite on your topic, a favourite read this year has been The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal. Not every critic agrees with her view, but it is such an interesting approach given current issues and our interest in the Camino.

Hi AZGirl,

Emilia Pardo Bazán was a prolific Galician writer who lived from the middle of the XIX century until the 1920's. Many of her works take place in Spain, her most renowned book is "Los Pazos de Ulloa", a short story called "Las Medias Rojas" gives a very clear idea of the brutal life in rural Galicia, and by contrast "Insolación" is a light and humorous book. I love this author because she was a feminist writer who fought against the prevailing sexism of her times and founded the "Women's Library", encouraging other female authors to prevail.

Another fantastic Spanish author was Benito Pérez Galdós and his most famous and controversial novel is "Doña Perfecta". In this novel the setting and the characters are symbols that represent the political unrest and drama of 19th century Spain.

I could go on and on, because there are so many excellent books about Spain that give you great insight into what Spanish life, history, traditions, culture, etc. are like. So, depending on your very own taste you have so many suggestions of great literature to pick from. Whatever you read, I hope you learn more and more about the people and the places in beautiful Spain.

UltreĂŻa!

Hi AZGirl,

Emilia Pardo Bazán was a prolific Galician writer who lived from the middle of the XIX century until the 1920's. Many of her works take place in Spain, her most renowned book is "Los Pazos de Ulloa", a short story called "Las Medias Rojas" gives a very clear idea of the brutal life in rural Galicia, and by contrast "Insolación" is a light and humorous book. I love this author because she was a feminist writer who fought against the prevailing sexism of her times and founded the "Women's Library", encouraging other female authors to prevail.

Another fantastic Spanish author was Benito Pérez Galdós and his most famous and controversial novel is "Doña Perfecta". In this novel the setting and the characters are symbols that represent the political unrest and drama of 19th century Spain.

I could go on and on, because there are so many excellent books about Spain that give you great insight into what Spanish life, history, traditions, culture, etc. are like. So, depending on your very own taste you have so many suggestions of great literature to pick from. Whatever you read, I hope you learn more and more about the people and the places in beautiful Spain.

UltreĂŻa!

Thank you ,Bazan is not translated in Dutch but Galdos is so will search for it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene. Deals with moral dilemmas, but enjoyable none the less. Some fine dscriptions of Spanish scenerey.

Few more set in the period of Spanish civil war:
- already mentioned Soldiers of Salamis (Soldados de Salamina) by Javier Cercas,
- The Mule (La Mula) by Juan Eslava Galan,
- The Bird in Last Year's Nest by Herron Shaun,
- Man's Hope (L'Espoir) by Andre Malraux,
- The Carpenter's Pencil (O lapis do carpinteiro) by Manuel Rivas ,
- Don't Cry (Pas Pleurer) by Lydie Salvayre,
- This Light (Esa luz!) by Carlos Saura.

Few more set in the period of Spanish civil war:
- already mentioned Soldiers of Salamis (Soldados de Salamina) by Javier Cercas,
- The Mule (La Mula) by Juan Eslava Galan,
- The Bird in Last Year's Nest by Herron Shaun,
- Man's Hope (L'Espoir) by Andre Malraux,
- The Carpenter's Pencil (O lapis do carpinteiro) by Manuel Rivas ,
- Don't Cry (Pas Pleurer) by Lydie Salvayre,
- This Light (Esa luz!) by Carlos Saura.

Thank you Kinky! I must reread Malraux! Did you know that he made it to ministre of Cultural Affairs in the French government?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Kinky! I must reread Malraux! Did you know that he made it to ministre of Cultural Affairs in the French government?
Yes, I know that among other facts from his life. Unfortunately I don't speak or read French but I have all of his translated works on my book shelves :)

The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway, if you want something great and originally in english.

THe Lone Man, Bernardo Atxaga, if you want something Spanish (actually, Basque). Great novel. And you can find an english translation for about 99 cents on Amazon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree with the last two posts. I really enjoy reading accounts of other people's Caminos. They take me back to my days on The Way, as I compare my experiences with theirs. The only thing I hate is prolonged discussions about religious enlightenment - but that's because I'm not religious.
Anyway, I'm in the process of writing about my four Caminos at the moment. This is because I can't set out on pilgrimage this May as I normally do. I've just had a hip replacement. OK, this might be therapy - but I won't be writing tedious rubbish!
ummmm, ok :D

Reading the above suggestions I was surprised with how many I had myself read, commencing with 'The Spanish Bride' when I was 13 or so. And over the following years I digested 'The Sun Also Rises', 'Don Quixote', 'Shadow of the Wind', 'The Black Ship', 'Homage to Catalonia' and 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning'. I didn't consciously pursue a Spanish theme, but there you are. I enjoyed just about all of them, but 'As I Walked Out..' is a personal favourite. As for non-fiction, Antony Beevor's revised history of the civil war 'The Battle for Spain' is an eye opener.

€83,-
"Books set in Spain" is such a wide topic that it's hard to recommend anything specific, unless one knows more about what you are interested in. In any case, since there have been already lots of excellent recommendations, I'll add (on a personal level) two:

-First, I'll join those who recommend "Soldiers of Salamis", by Javier Cercas, though IMO you might need to know quite a bit about spanish history and literature during 20th century to get the most out of it. (But then again, perhaps you are reading precisely to learn more...). Just be advised that the author mixes quite liberally real-life figures with fictional events, which caused a bit of controversy when it was first published.

-If you read spanish, I'll also add another recently published book, "La España vacía", by Sergio del Molino. It's an essay book about the rural flight that affects so many places in the spanish countryside. Since much of the Camino crosses precisely towns that would be empty without it, it's quite topical.

(Hi everyone again, BTW. Long time no post. Life and work really busy; sorry for not showing up all these months, and hope all is well with you).

'As I walked out one midsummer morning' - by Laurie Lee is a beautiful book I have read and re read many times. The follow on 'A Rose in Winter' is equally engaging.

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back