• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

November camino... beds...

MeganG22

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-->SdC
(Oct3-Nov3 2012)
Pamplona-->SdC
(Oct1-Oct29 2014)
Upcoming!
Pamplona-->SdC
May 1-? 2017
Hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker ;-)

This November, my boyfriend and I will be joining the long list of pilgrims to have taken on the Camino Frances. We plan on flying out of the US on Oct 24, and then staying a bit longer overseas when we're done with the Walk until December 14th (why not, right? :) )

I just had a few questions to start with, about beds. Given the time of the year, do you think we'll have trouble acquiring beds each day? I have read that some people get in lines starting at 1pm, and I was wondering how common that is. Also, given that this is a pilgrim trail and I would hope most people have good values and morals along the camino, is it common and safe to just leave your pack on a bed or in front of a door, as I have read?

I am so looking forward to this trip, I have no doubt that it will be the experience of a lifetime. I really enjoy this bulletin board and reading about all the different experiences, inquiries, advice, etc.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!

Megan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Megan,

The long lines equate to the longer days of the late Spring and Summer when most folks are on holiday. A consideration will be whether the albergue you decide to stay at is open and most are.

Leaving your pack by your bunk is usually not a problem, but never leave money, credit cards or passport off your person, even when taking a shower...take them with you. Also, don't leave your pack unattended outside a bar, etc. They have a way of disappearing.

Have a super time and Buen Camino,

Arn

I walked December 7-14 2010 Sarria to Santiago and no bed problem apart from Casanova where one dormitory had to be shut because of bed bugs. We were a bit crowded in the other, but all on beds. With no bugs!

Buy a security bag or pouch for money etc.

Remember that after your money etc the most important thing is your camera. It will soon contain irreplacable memories. Keep it with you at all times.

I had a small bag which never left my sight and contained my camera and medicines.

Note that the large pilgrim albergue in Santiago - Seminario Menor - is shut in December. The tourist office in Rua do Vilar is a good place for information and is open till 9.00pm (not sure about Saturday or Sunday).

If you buy the Confraternity of St James guide http://www.csj.org.uk it will give you all the places you can sleep and is updated every year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you start in SJPdP, the Pilgrim Office there will also have a current list of albergues that are open during the winter. You will be fine in October/November. No lines for beds then! :)

As for people stealing your stuff, the advice others have given is good. I don't think you have to worry so much about other peregrinos as you do the "pobrecitos" and other riff-raff along the way who beg and steal from peregrinos. Keep anything you can't do without with you at all times, even in the shower. Another option is to trade off with your boyfriend.....have him watch your things while you take a shower and you do the same for him. It's easier when you are traveling with a person you trust, otherwise, don't be too trustworthy of people. Most are good, it's that small percentage of bad ones that can ruin a camino. If you don't feel comfortable taking your camera into the shower with you, then take the memory card. If they take your camera, then they won't have your photos too! You can get waterproof bags to put your valuables in, or just use a ziplock bag.

Hi
I walked the CF in November of last year, 27th Oct(SJPdP) to 27 Nov(SDC). Accommodation was perfect, places started to shut at the end of October, but there was enough staying open to not make it a problem. What you will find with your guidebook(John Brierley) and the sheet from from the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP is that the details of places open is not 100% correct and vice versa for places indicated as shut, but this never really seemed to matter.

Like other posters have said dont worry about beds. I would never usually set off untill 8-9.30am, usually arrive late afternoon and there would always be something.

If you get good weather you wont believe your luck, it was still possible even in late November to lay in fields taking in the rays from quite a warm sun, have a snooze or watch the world go by.

Mike

Thank you all for your responses!! Just what I was looking for. I have a little pouch for money/passports/etc from a trip to Europe 7 years ago, so I'm glad I still have that!

Mike, it's so great to hear from someone that was basically there at the same time we will be! Your words made me smile, and if possible, even more excited for the walk! Thank you :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The three thefts I had personal experience with on the camino were done by "pilgrims" who befriended their victims. The victims then left their valuables with the "friends" while they showered and returned to find both the "friends" and their credit cards, passports, and cash GONE with the wind!

So ... the moral of the story...

As others have posted, NEVER leave your valuables in the room in your pack.
Have a plastic ziplock bag that you can carry into the shower with you.
Do NOT hang items over the door of the shower where they can be snatched while you're showering.

Just be smart... not paranoid.

HI there Megan,

I walked from end of October to 9th December and wasn't ever stuck for a place to stay. After the first 10 days or so it was plain sailing, the albergues that were open were well advertised as so, notices in albergues would sometimes say which were open and closed further alon the trail.
After the first 10 days things became less guaranteed meaning I had to ask people if they knew the next town had an open albergue but as Ive said, always found somewhere.
This goes for the route from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia, there was always a place to stay.

'Crowds' this time of year are non existant. 2010 wa sa holy year and there were more than a normal year but there were always enough beds to go around.

As for your possessions, like the other forumites have said, common sense prevails. ALways keep valuables with you and really, only your passport, money, bank cards and phone maybe are things you'd rather not lose....everything else you pack you have to be prepared to lose, break, mislay or get stolen. Saying that, did anyone find a particularly nice, thick, expensive hiking sock last November on the walk down from Alto Pedron to Eunate?....that will teach me to not heep my own advice.
Of course there are a few bandits still along the pilgrim trails like there has always been but keep close to you what is important, everything else will just be smelly, dirty pilgrim clothes that you'd have to be desperate to thieve! :)

As a side note, walking at this time of year is stunning. Lots of time and space for contemplation and often inner journies. The nights can be cold so layers are the way forward but the sun still shines bright in the sky and you will ikely get all 4 seasons in one day at some point.

Have a great time!!
Greg

Hi
I walked the CF in November of last year, 27th Oct(SJPdP) to 27 Nov(SDC). Accommodation was perfect, places started to shut at the end of October, but there was enough staying open to not make it a problem. What you will find with your guidebook(John Brierley) and the sheet from from the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP is that the details of places open is not 100% correct and vice versa for places indicated as shut, but this never really seemed to matter.

Like other posters have said dont worry about beds. I would never usually set off untill 8-9.30am, usually arrive late afternoon and there would always be something.

If you get good weather you wont believe your luck, it was still possible even in late November to lay in fields taking in the rays from quite a warm sun, have a snooze or watch the world go by.

Mike

Phew this makes me feel so much better! And I like the fact you didn't set of until about 8-9:30am!!! I was planning on being 8am sharp everyday so this makes me feel just that little bit better!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just because it is dark outside, does not mean that some albergues won't be quite rigid about pilgrims leaving by 0800 to 0830. The midday is the only time during a seven day workweek when the hospitaleros have time for themselves. They are up early, particularly if breakfast is offered, and stay up late to close at 2200 or 2300. Between 0830 and 1500 is their personal time, and pilgrims should respect it. Do not think you are being singled out if they are very abrupt in the morning.

Hostales, of course, are quite different. Do what you want; you have paid for the privilege!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The majority of times i set off were mostly 8.10 to 8.30. I pushed it to 9.30 only a couple of times once at the well known one before the bridge in Puente la Reina and the other was at the one with the Irish type emblem in Melide, me and the Catlan guy who were the only pilgrims there had a late one at Ezikiel and were feeling the effects in the morning, we tidied and moped the place before dropping the keys off. Generally because there was a lot less pilgrims around there didnt seem to be an effort to get us on our way.

Maybe in March Albergues are gearing up for the season, but in November it felt like the end of term and there was a lot more slack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back