Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

November on the Frances

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
I normally walk in April, but this year I have the opportunity to walk from SJPdP to Burgos in November with my son. I know the weather is going to be a little cooler and less Albergues, but should I bring extra warm clothes? I will be carrying a lightweight sleeping bag (usually just carry a sleep sack), and the normal other things to include: rain gear, layered fleece, gloves and a beanie.
Am I on the right track for a fall walk or should I also take more, such as a lightweight puff jacket? Or wait and purchase what I need in Spain?
Thanks

JAO

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept 2018
I normally walk in April, but this year I have the opportunity to walk from SJPdP to Burgos in November with my son. I know the weather is going to be a little cooler and less Albergues, but should I bring extra warm clothes? I will be carrying a lightweight sleeping bag (usually just carry a sleep sack), and the normal other things to include: rain gear, layered fleece, gloves and a beanie.
Am I on the right track for a fall walk or should I also take more, such as a lightweight puff jacket? Or wait and purchase what I need in Spain?
Thanks
I can tell you that in that section, you can buy a limited selection of stuff in SJPDP, but then the next town with a decent sporting goods store is Najera, then Logrono, and of course Burgos. You may find something in Estella, but I didn’t see much, and then there’s the issue of Spanish hours.If the jacket packs small, I’d take it for evenings and chilly churches. Joyce

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I can tell you that in that section, you can buy a limited selection of stuff in SJPDP, but then the next town with a decent sporting goods store is Najera, then Logrono, and of course Burgos. You may find something in Estella, but I didn’t see much, and then there’s the issue of Spanish hours.If the jacket packs small, I’d take it for evenings and chilly churches. Joyce
Pamplona? Decathlon, Caminoteca, Muga... among others.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Just before you leave, check the long range weather forcast for Valcarlos, the Ibañeta pass and Roncesvalles. Prepare for the coldest of that.

Once you get walking, you'll generate heat but will all your various layers keep you warm when you aren't walking?

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
Just before you leave, check the long range weather forcast for Valcarlos, the Ibañeta pass and Roncesvalles. Prepare for the coldest of that.

Once you get walking, you'll generate heat but will all your various layers keep you warm when you aren't walking?
Thanks, that's the plan. I have walked that route in the snow before with very few layers. Just trying to see if there is anything I am missing.
Buen Camino

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I'd be tempted to take an extra layer (from a charity shop or from my closet) that I'm okay with leaving behind at a donation box (or hand to a homeless person), once I'm past the higher altitudes and decide is surplus to my needs.

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
I'd be tempted to take an extra layer (from a charity shop or from my closet) that I'm okay with leaving behind at a donation box (or hand to a homeless person), once I'm past the higher altitudes and decide is surplus to my needs.
Great idea. I do have extra layers I could bring and leave at Roncesvalles if the weather is predicted to be good.

amocatnerak

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April 2018, Frances October 2019
I don't generally travel without some sort of "puff jacket" as I tend to get cold easily. A lightweight down puffy packs small and the weight is minimal. I would have been freezing last year in April if I hadn't had my puffy. I slept in it several times when the albergues were cold and always wore it in the evenings after the sun went down. I am bringing one again this year (October) along with my sleeping bag.

Buen Camino!

Advertisement

Booking.com