• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now available: Art & Architecture on routes to Santiago

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
ARTstor is collaborating with The Metropolitan Museum of Art to make available approximately 900 images of art and architecture from pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela photographed by William Keighley.
This first release includes approximately 900 images of art and architecture along the pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain
The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Image Library houses the complete collection created by William Keighley (1889-1984), which consists of approximately 35,000 35 mm color slides. Keighley donated his slide collection to the Museum to educate the public on the unique art and architectural heritage of select areas of the world.

http://aahvrc.blogspot.com/2010/03/now- ... tstor.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ARTstor is collaborating with The Metropolitan Museum of Art to make available approximately 900 images of art and architecture from pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela photographed by William Keighley.
This first release includes approximately 900 images of art and architecture along the pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain
The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Image Library houses the complete collection created by William Keighley (1889-1984), which consists of approximately 35,000 35 mm color slides. Keighley donated his slide collection to the Museum to educate the public on the unique art and architectural heritage of select areas of the world.

http://aahvrc.blogspot.com/2010/03/now- ... tstor.html
I came upon this old thread while I was looking at some other things. It’s too bad that ARTstor is now behind a firewall. And a search on the metropolitan museum’s website for the photographer produces no relevant results. Probably not what William Kieghley wanted to happen to the work he donated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I came upon this old thread while I was looking at some other things. It’s too bad that ARTstor is now behind a firewall. And a search on the metropolitan museum’s website for the photographer produces no relevant results. Probably not what William Kieghley wanted to happen to the work he donated.
This is super frustrating. The content is there - it's just firewalled as you said Stephan. I did a search (well, multiple) and this is what I got:

Content Unavailable​

This content is not available due to content limitations or restricted access. Please try using an account or accessing this page on campus.
Clearly my google and library-fu are not up to this.

A search on the Met site turned up bupkus on Keighley, but did turn up this on Charles Thurston Thompson, a photographer from the 1860s. There are digital library listings for this collection (20 photos, apparently just of SdC, but, ugh, the digital library interface leaves a whole lot to be desired).

Hi, @Stephan the Painter, I am not sure if this will work for you, but I am able to get on the website through my university library. If you are close to a university that may be a member, I am pretty sure they will let patrons access the site.

These pictures are not really “camino pictures,” but rather pictures taken of the cathedral, San Juan de la Peña, Conques, Saint Sernin in Toulouse, Jaca Cathedral, Leyre Monastery. I was hoping to see some 1960 street scenes but the pictures are almost exclusively of arches, capitals, exterior facades, etc. Not to diminish the importance of the collection, of course.

A search on the Met site turned up bupkus on Keighley, but did turn up this on Charles Thurston Thompson, a photographer from the 1860s. There are digital library listings for this collection (20 photos, apparently just of SdC, but, ugh, the digital library interface leaves a whole lot to be desired).

That C.T. Thompson collection and article is fascinating in its own right! Thanks for sharing. (And extra points for using the word "bupkis", which always makes me happy.) 😄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.