• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now for the important stuff--corkscrew?

Susan Teigen

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2014 (Sarria - Santiago)
Thanks, all, for the invaluable advice on packing. We leave on Sunday for our Sarria-Finisterra (only) Camino. I feel pretty well organized and packed with gear, clothing, etc. But should I put in a lightweight corkscrew, or will the albergues have them to borrow?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most albergues are not equipped with corkscrews or any other utensils.

I usually ate Menu Peregrino ... which includes sufficient wine for a day and so a corkscrew was not often needed.

Si yo fuera tu ... drink in the bar and sleep in the albergue.

Most albergues are not equipped with corkscrews or any other utensils.

I usually ate Menu Peregrino ... which includes sufficient wine for a day and so a corkscrew was not often needed.

Si yo fuera tu ... drink in the bar and sleep in the albergue.

:) Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lots of other pilgrims will have corkscrews etc on penknives so you'll rarely be stuck. Same applies for bottle openers.

For me it is definitely carry a corkscrew! You may not be near a kitchen when you want one - and why rely on others when you can be the person offering to others?
Also a spoon. You will most likely buy yoghurts and so on - so tricky without your own spoon when you are sitting under a tree somewhere!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you find yourself in need of one buy one there. Like was said earlier most albergues have them available. Hey, it's a wine drinking country and its not an issue.

Opinel #10 knife with corkscrew. Legal in Spain, weighs the same (2.5 oz) as my usual "waiter's friend," excellent knife as well as a good (5 screws) cork screw. Available mail order or in many places on the Camino. Surely available in Sarria but I don't know for sure or where.

Karl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Life is too short for screw-top wine, even in Spain. Carry a Swiss Army knife with a corkscrew and a pair of scissors, (check it with your luggage, you can't take it carry-on) and you are set.

IMHO, people obsess too much about pack weight. Make sure you have a corkscrew of some kind, because a wine-free camino is, well... You can imagine.

Thanks, all, for the invaluable advice on packing. We leave on Sunday for our Sarria-Finisterra (only) Camino. I feel pretty well organized and packed with gear, clothing, etc. But should I put in a lightweight corkscrew, or will the albergues have them to borrow?
Hi Susan.
For you my advice comes to late. But for other new pilgrims my hint may be useful.
I found this Swiss army pocket knive for my various outdoor activities very useful.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Be Prepared" the Scouts say. Any decent pocket knife will give you a corkscrew, a blade sharp enough to cut bread, a screwdriver, can and bottle openers, all in a device the size of you thumb, a slightly upgrade Victorinox also has hidden tweezers and a toothpick! Now thats something you might really need!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, glad to say that once I became the heroine of the day (in the albergue in Zariquei). Seated around the dinner table (dinner provided by/bought from the owner - no access to kitchen) - there were bottles of unopened wine on the table. Panic was on the rise. Luckily I then recalled where I had stored my Victorinox knife - and harmony was restored ...

annelise

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In our 42 days wandering the Camino we never came across a screw cap wine bottle. Thankfully I had my Victorinox army knife with a corkscrew. A Camino without wine would not be the same. Some of the best wine I have ever drank cost me less than 5 euro on the Camino.

I like the oblique reference to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
I carry two corkscrews. One on my penknife and the other is mostly plastic and weighs hardly anything. In some cases it is better to have too much rather than too little.

Thanks, all, for the invaluable advice on packing. We leave on Sunday for our Sarria-Finisterra (only) camino. I feel pretty well organized and packed with gear, clothing, etc. But should I put in a lightweight corkscrew, or will the alberques have them to borrow?
I agree with you Susan, one of the first things I packed was my Swiss Army knife with a corkscrew. I don't leave home without it. I also know that wine on the Camino makes everything better.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I did not discriminate and drank both, beer in the afternoon, and wine in the evenings.................oh and water during the walk.

I did not discriminate and drank both, beer in the afternoon, and wine in the evenings.................oh and water during the walk.

I leave water alone. I know what fish do in water. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back