• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now I know why so many travel from the USA to do the camino

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
I have just booked three nights in New York and I have met City Tax ARG!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look closely at the receipt when you buy something in Spain. If it is a restaurant meal, it will show that the IVA is 10%. If it is something electronic, IVA = 23%. IVA is "VAT" in some countries, and sort of like sales tax in USA.

You are lucky you are not driving, parking is very expensive.

That said, I do not find New York any more expensive than London, Paris, Hong Kong etc. Taxes are a way of life in Major cities. How do you think they pay for infrastructure, maintenance, etc. etc.?

Ultreya,
Joe

I live in NY State (5 hour drive north west of NYC). It seems like even breathing in NY City is expensive! But then, I don't know that city well. I grew up in DC, and go there when I want to be in a city. I did pick up my son from the JFK a few years ago and spent over $100 on toll bridges!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I live in NYC, and yes it is expensive, but pizza can be bought for a dollar, seats at a world class ballet company, opera, philharmonic, are inexpensive to sky high prices, and world renown museums are pay-as-you-wish either daily or on specific days. Pay as you wish can be a penny if that is all you have. May have to relocate back to Los Angeles, will miss NYC.

I live in NYC, and yes it is expensive, but pizza can be bought for a dollar, seats at a world class ballet company, opera, philharmonic, are inexpensive to sky high prices, and world renown museums are pay-as-you-wish either daily or on specific days. Pay as you wish can be a penny if that is all you have. May have to relocate back to Los Angeles, will miss NYC.
There was no offence intended I was merely smarting from the cost of the Hotel and you are right when we are Sorrento in Italy this year the hotel will cost just as much with tourist tax included I have never been in New York and I am going to a conference in up State NY as well as seizing the opportunity to visit somewhere I have always wanted to visit. Six days later I will be starting to walk from Ponferrada and as I compared the 49 euros return fare to Santiago against $530 return fare to NY and almost $900 for the hotel for 3 days against the cost of an hotel in Spain I was shocked, but that does not mean that we will not enjoy both, so long as they let me in to the USA.

There is a reason North Americans envy European so much when it comes to cheap flight. Cost of gas? It's the US' time to laugh again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Please, let us not discuss airports in my country: USA.

Ponferrada, is my true place of pilgrimage enjoy.

Camino, Via de la Plata, here I come: ASAP!

Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back