• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now I Pack

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 CF Spring
Ok, now I pack. 10 days to go before starting my first El Camino.

What works well for me:
1st plan, research, and scrutinise for a few months;
2nd put my A list of stuff together (see 1st photo)
3rd Cull and reduce weight (the Need vs Want) (see 2nd and 3rd photo)
4th pack and maybe do a 2nd cull.
5th Packed with On Body Items in front (see 4th photo)

Weight after the 1st to 2nd cull:
  • Pack weight (35L pack): 7.0kg to 5.9kg
  • Sling bag: 2.0kg to 1.5kg
  • On Body Weight of clothing, shoes, wallet, cell, etc: 3kg to 5kg
  • For cold spring weather
  • Dump/Cull box: 2.9kg to 3.5kg
  • Buy some addition items at start, pocketknife, poncho, food,
  • Excludes water and food.
WIP (work in process) with 9 days to go. Some fine-tuning might take place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3 days to go, and for the first time I have put everything I think I’m going to take into my rucksack. Assuming a warm dry day when most of the clothes will be in the pack, it comes in at 8.5kg before I fill the bladder. This doesn’t include my passport, phone, money, guidebook etc, but those will be either in a pocket or in a waist pouch. Which I have yet to buy, but I’ve got two days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

What works well for me:

I leave in a week and I am at the same point. After a short break today I’m at it again going thru my pack to see what is wanted and what is needed. Good luck to us

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After the 1st Cull:
10kg but to be fair i have to carry a tens unit for my knee and other knee items ...aaaarrrrgggg. but considering scrapping the rechargeable batteries w charger for regular batteries i can buy along the way . Of course does not include my camera, water or things in my waist pack

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are doing well maybe you need to come pack mine hahha...ok I’ve wasted enough time. Off I go for repack #50 I will post the grams later
I was lucky - my better-half went away on a girls weekend away. Just had to feed the clan but otherwise a quite weekend "to play" with my Camino stuff.

I never weigh my stuff until I am nearly finished. Too stressful otherwise.

Well I don't know what's a matter with you lot, weeks / days to go and you're thinking about packing. I don't go until Feb 2019 and I'm packed already, 8kg including 1 ½ ltrs of water. I'll renew the water before I step out the door.

Buem Camino to you all, have a wonderful journey.

Last edited:
My waterproof jacket was bought in a charity shop because I wanted one which covered me properly (I’m rather large for a peregrina) and had enough pockets). But having now walked with it a few times, it really is very heavy. In fact, I just weighed with my newly-acquired digital luggage scales - 1.2kg. Off to research better options.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My waterproof jacket was bought in a charity shop because I wanted one which covered me properly (I’m rather large for a peregrina) and had enough pockets). But having now walked with it a few times, it really is very heavy. In fact, I just weighed with my newly-acquired digital luggage scales - 1.2kg. Off to research better options.

The lighter they come the dearer they are so you need to make a compromise, I use my lightweight rain jacket as an extra layer when it's cold, so it has dual purpose.

Similar - a few "like to have things" all of the sudden just weigh too much. Interesting the gap between perception (it weights nothing) and reality (just too heavy).

Two weeks to go for me... I am mostly packed. My strategy for a 32L pack is NOT to use stuff sacks. Makes two many little "bricks" which don't seem to want to fit. Basically I look at my gear and say, "Will this fit into that pack?" If not, out it goes. Not too worried about the grams at this point.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Peter,

Not quite ultra lightweight yet but you're getting there.

My tips; unless you're really keen to have the paper version just take pictures on your cell phone of important pages in your Brierley Guide. On my first camino I was so desperate to save weight I was tearing out the pages for each stage as I completed them. Insane, but that that's what a heavy pack can do to you. Also every other person will have a copy so if you want you can always consult theirs.

And is that a super bulky pair of headphones I see? Settle for earbuds instead.

Otherwise all good, you'll be skipping up the Pyrenees like Nolan Hoffman up Chappies.

Rob.

Hey Peter,

Not quite ultra lightweight yet but you're getting there.

My tips; unless you're really keen to have the paper version just take pictures on your cell phone of important pages in your Brierley Guide. On my first camino I was so desperate to save weight I was tearing out the pages for each stage as I completed them. Insane, but that that's what a heavy pack can do to you. Also every other person will have a copy so if you want you can always consult theirs.

And is that a super bulky pair of headphones I see? Settle for earbuds instead.

Otherwise all good, you'll be skipping up the Pyrenees like Nolan Hoffman up Chappies.

Rob.
Hi Rob

I love my books too much; Brierley can stay. No headphones; might be the sunglasses holder or the small camera (undecided if to take or keep at home)
Nolan Hoffman, local & international athlete and three times winner of the Cape Town Cycle Tour! I suffered this year up Chappies (Chapmans peak - 2nd last climb of the CTCT race)

More worried about the cold and wet weather.

Peter,

Forget the book. Carried it my first Camino, second I downloaded the wise pilgrim app on my phone. It was no extra weight and offered perfect information!
Buen Camino
Penny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peter,

Forget the book. Carried it my first Camino, second I downloaded the wise pilgrim app on my phone. It was no extra weight and offered perfect information!
Buen Camino
Penny
Hi Penny

I see your point but for me the Brierley book would also be a place to take notes, kind of a travel journal. I already dropped my second book!! And that was hard.

What works well for me:

WOW! You guys make me seem too keen to get going. I'm packed and sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. I don't go 'til June! lol Seriously though, the lighter paper back version of War & Peace and special plastic folding kitchen sink has helped keep my weight down. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh so here it is. 9 kg a week to go.
Explanation : unique circumstances with problem knees
1. TENS weighs nothing , its very small and very light , problem is the electrical stim pads weigh more than the unit lol...necessity dictates so can’t leave it but I took out a few of the stim pads as they are reusable ( until the adhesive stops working) oh did I mention a knee brace thats light by medical standards but darn heavy on my leg....hmmm now to limp or not to limp
1.5. Arrrrggggg sever allergies (egg and others) and the darn epi pen weigh more than my pack...lol. Geez to die or not to die....that is a darn good question. Maybe I just need a Red Cross on my forehead with words reading” if I pass out Try CPR”
2. Luxury item is my Cannon 60 D with much lighter 18-55 mm lens good all around and in low light in the waist pack . It and my tablet (no comments not he tablet please...my choice my weight) goes everywhere with me even hiking in Norway and Sweden several times over the past years. Who knows at the last minute i might decide to take it out lol
3. My guide book downloaded (wise pilgrim) on my tablet which I use to write notes, blog, and transfer my pictures

Out:
1.. I squeezed out my small tube of Vaseline petroleum jelly into ziplock plastic bags a possible gram saved
1.5. Squeezed shampoo and conditioner into platypus soft ultra lite bottles. ( please don’t Judge me my hair doesn’t know if its straight or curly but knows it’s tangled often)
2. took out the warm base layer for my walking pants if I get cold i can put on my rain pants.
3. Unsure: Considered taking out the camelback.. using 2 fold up silicone water bottle in the bottle holders in
The waist pack. Taking this out will surely get me closer to 8kg
4. The rechargeable batters and charger for the TENS..will buy batteries along the way won’t last as long but oh well..it will be ok

I’m sure I can squeeze out another ounce/gram or 2 during the week but I think this is as good as it gets

Last edited:

What works well for me:

:eek: Am I reading this right, and the approximate on-your-back- weight is 12 kg? (26 pounds)? Or is your stated pack weight what you will actually be carrying? My own pack weight last September was hovering around 9.5 lbs (about 4 kg), and I expect it will be a bit lighter when I return this fall.

:eek: Am I reading this right, and the approximate on-your-back- weight is 12 kg? (26 pounds)? Or is your stated pack weight what you will actually be carrying? My own pack weight last September was hovering around 9.5 lbs (about 4 kg), and I expect it will be a bit lighter when I return this fall.
I am not sure how other people weigh their packed backpacks as there are many variables - especially what one wears on the body. So if it is cold and raining, more will be worn and less is in the pack. Plus does the backpack weight include what one has in a waist bag/sling bag/pockets? Does one include food & water?

What i did is split it into separate parts:
1) What is on my body - highly variable due to cold/hot/wet weather. I set it at "cool EU spring day" It includes clothing, shoes, hat, everything in my pocket (wallet, cell, etc) and my sunglasses, etc. Weight On Body: anything from 2,5kg to +-6kg.
2) Primary backpack: also variable depending on what gets moved to other spots: Weight: lowest was 5,9kg with softshel jacket and light rain jacket being worn.
3) Secondary pack, waist/sling bag, etc: Weight: lowest was 1,5kg
4) Dump/Cull box - what will stay at home and not be part of the Camino.
5) Food & water - excluded in weighing as I view it as "consumables"

So - depending on what one includes in "weighing ones backpack" - it should be possible to make a reasonable comparison.

In my case: lean'ish packed backpack is 5,9kg; my primary and secondary packs together vary from 7,4kg to 9kg; if it is a hot sunny day and shoes plus other clothing move to the pack, the two packs would be 10-11kg BUT I would still be carrying the same weight as it just moved from the body to the packs. Now, if i walk the Dragonte I would be carrying am extra 2-3kg of food n water.

Ho ho ho, of to Spain we go

Ultreia
Peter

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1. TENS weighs nothing , its very small and very light , problem is the electrical stim pads weigh more than the unit lol...necessity dictates so can’t leave it but I took out a few of the stim pads as they are reusable ( until the adhesive stops working) oh did I mention a knee brace thats light by medical standards but darn heavy on my leg....hmmm now to limp or not to limp
1.5. Arrrrggggg sever allergies (egg and others) and the darn epi pen weigh more than my pack...lol. Geez to die or not to die....that is a darn good question. Maybe I just need a Red Cross on my forehead with words reading” if I pass out Try CPR”
2. Luxury item is my Cannon 60 D with much lighter 18-55 mm lens good all around and in low light in the waist pack . It and my tablet (no comments not he tablet please...my choice my weight) goes everywhere with me even hiking in Norway and Sweden several times over the past years. Who knows at the last minute i might decide to take it out lol
3. My guide book downloaded (wise pilgrim) on my tablet which I use to write notes, blog, and transfer my pictures

Out:
1.. I squeezed out my small tube of Vaseline petroleum jelly into ziplock plastic bags a possible gram saved
1.5. Squeezed shampoo and conditioner into platypus soft ultra lite bottles. ( please don’t Judge me my hair doesn’t know if its straight or curly but knows it’s tangled often)
2. took out the warm base layer for my walking pants if I get cold i can put on my rain pants.
3. Unsure: Considered taking out the camelback.. using 2 fold up silicone water bottle in the bottle holders in
4. The rechargeable batters and charger for the TENS..will buy batteries along the way won’t last as long but oh well..it will be ok

I’m sure I can squeeze out another ounce/gram or 2 during the week but I think this is as good as it gets
Good going! It is amazing what one learns about our needs vs wants.
I would consider dropping the Camelback but keep the rechargeable batteries. Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, etc etc - i would empty them to +-25% of the qty in the containers and buy them along the way.

Arrrrggggg sever allergies (egg and others) and the darn epi pen weigh more than my pack...lol. Geez to die or not to die....that is a darn good question. Maybe I just need a Red Cross on my forehead with words reading” if I pass out Try CPR”
:D:eek::D:eek::D
Haha. Well...take it and to heck with the extra grams. I'd hate to read about someone planting a tree in your memory in that nice new park in Astorga honoring dead pilgrims.

I'm impressed! It's really interesting peeing [NOTE FROM MODERATOR -- I know VN personally and can vouch for her character. She meant to write "peering." :D ] over everyone's shoulders here because this is a very different M.O. than mine. I never weigh anything, or do a whole lot of advance preparation - and somehow stumble into Santiago in one piece. Different strokes, both good.

But one thing someone wrote here really made an impression (it may have been the very wise @SYates but I forgot who, sorry): 'Don't pack your fears.' If I'm strong enough to listen to that, then a lot goes in the 'never mind' pile.

SOON you will all be out there on the great way. Woo hoo!
Buen caminos, peregrinos and peregrinas!

EDIT: I've decided to leave the mistake and Laurie's correction as is. It's too funny to to erase.....!:eek::oops::oops::p

Last edited:
I am not sure how other people weigh their packed backpacks as there are many variables - especially what one wears on the body. So if it is cold and raining, more will be worn and less is in the pack. Plus does the backpack weight include what one has in a waist bag/sling bag/pockets? Does one include food & water?

What i did is split it into separate parts:
1) What is on my body - highly variable due to cold/hot/wet weather. I set it at "cool EU spring day" It includes clothing, shoes, hat, everything in my pocket (wallet, cell, etc) and my sunglasses, etc. Weight On Body: anything from 2,5kg to +-6kg.
2) Primary backpack: also variable depending on what gets moved to other spots: Weight: lowest was 5,9kg with softshel jacket and light rain jacket being worn.
3) Secondary pack, waist/sling bag, etc: Weight: lowest was 1,5kg
4) Dump/Cull box - what will stay at home and not be part of the Camino.
5) Food & water - excluded in weighing as I view it as "consumables"

So - depending on what one includes in "weighing ones backpack" - it should be possible to make a reasonable comparison.

In my case: lean'ish packed backpack is 5,9kg; my primary and secondary packs together vary from 7,4kg to 9kg; if it is a hot sunny day and shoes plus other clothing move to the pack, the two packs would be 10-11kg BUT I would still be carrying the same weight as it just moved from the body to the packs. Now, if i walk the Dragonte I would be carrying am extra 2-3kg of food n water.

It is not a competition

Ultreia
Peter

The usual method in the American backpacking community is for the pack and contents to be weighed minus consumables..food, water, and fuel. We refer to that as the packs 'base weight'. The base weight is used in this manner to determine the non variables. Most of my backpacking occurs at altitudes between 6,000 and 12000 feet in elevation (2100 to 3650 meters), so includes clothing and shelter to deal with weather variables.

Total pack weight includes the consumables, which on a through hike might be a 7 - 10 day supply between resupply points. These are the variables. For me, the typical 8 day total with food and fuel. That will increase my load from approximately 14 pounds at its base weight ( 6.2 kg) to a total weight of 22 pounds (about 10 kg).

Skin out weight includes total pack weight plus what you wear as you walk.

A lot of backpackers will make inventory lists that list the weights of each item of gear. Talk about obsessing over minutiae :)

On Camino, it's nice because I can ditch a lot of gear. As a wilderness backpacker, that is heaven :)

I didn't mean to imply anything, such as a competition. I was just curious at how you broke down your categories of gear, especially the cull box. I had included it when I added up your weight. I had not heard that terminology before, so I didn't know what it was. When I did the Pacific Crest Trail, I used a 'bump box'. When I reached a planned resupply point, I would leave the trail at a spot within five miles or so to a trail head using a feeder trail. Hitchhike a ride at the forest service road to get to the nearest major road, then hitch hike my way into the town where I had posted a parcel to the post office containing food and fuel and other goodies for the next 7 to 10 days. If I no longer needed a piece of gear for the next section, i would put it into the box, and bump it on to the next post office or store resupply point. If I kept bumping a piece of gear, i would just go ahead and send it home.

I have been backpacking for decades (yeah, I'm old), do gear testing for manufacturers periodically, and do not look back fondly to the 60's when the lightest gear, and food for a week, would mean a 50 pound load. And hip belts and super adjustable shoulder harnesses with things like load lifter straps.... forget about it. Today's gear is amazing by comparison.

It sounds like you are well prepared, Peter. Buen Camino, and please keep us posted on your progress. I would very much like to hear about your experience on Dragonte :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I leave tomorrow. Pack (33L) and contents weighing 7.2kg so that will work for carry-on for the flight Brisbane to Paris. Put the shoulder stuff in for walking makes it 8.0 (less if it's cold and/or wet and I'm wearing layers). Just add water!

What works well for me:

Like others have said, forget Brierley, it's your camino, not his, you'll be fine without it. There are a number of good apps that have everything it has and are kept up-to-date regularly. Plus, at St Jean you'll get a map with elevations when you sign in to the Pilgrim's Office.

€83,-
Good going! It is amazing what one learns about our needs vs wants.
I would consider dropping the Camelback but keep the rechargeable batteries. Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, etc etc - i would empty them to +-25% of the qty in the containers and buy them along the way.
Thanks ...
1. I am on the verge of loosing the camelback.. I do have the quick fill connection so I dont need to take it out to fill but dont be surprised if its gone by weekend lol.
2. The soap (1 bar of Dr Bonner’s pure Castile soap) is also doubles as laundry soap and acts as a natural bug repellant.
3. Shampoo is travel size so i think it might be ok
4. You may be correct about the rechargeable batteries..save money, good for environment
Thank you for your input and I think I already found something else I can take out lol..

Haha. Well...take it and to heck with the extra grams. I'd hate to read about someone planting a tree in your memory in that nice new park in Astorga honoring dead pilgrims.

I'm impressed! It's really interesting peeing over everyone's shoulders here because this is a very different M.O. than mine. I never weigh anything, or do a whole lot of advance preparation - and somehow stumble into Santiago in one piece. Different strokes, both good.

But one thing someone wrote here really made an impression (it may have been the very wise @SYates but I forgot who, sorry): 'Don't pack your fears.' If I'm strong enough to listen to that, then a lot goes in the 'never mind' pile.

Hahahhaha. Would love to have a tree in my honor but not like that. According to the allergist I need ithe injector so sadly, it is in the bag already I will only take one ...by then should be an donkey nearby by to speed me to hospital.

I have strong upper body but the weight of the pack for me could mean breaking the already damaged knee then crawling to santiago so trying my best to keep the weight on the lower end of the scale.
Great quote no fears going in my pack ...no no not allowed . I agree and I am ready with positivity a higher “never mind pile” until the first step on the first stone up the Pyrenees... lol. only 8 days to Spanish soil.

As I read this I thought of Hank's comment in this thread (video):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...king-list-ultralight-under-5-kg-10-lbs.53662/
He talks about his camera here (19m 48s)
. Thanks normally I would agree as I saw this couple days ago. I choose to keep my camera with smaller lens it weighs less than .5 kg still way under 1kg with the extra battery no need for the charger as the battery lasts forever. Will be in my waist bag with my passport and money.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave tomorrow. Pack (33L) and contents weighing 7.2kg so that will work for carry-on for the flight Brisbane to Paris. Put the shoulder stuff in for walking makes it 8.0 (less if it's cold and/or wet and I'm wearing layers). Just add water!
Wow! Thats great. Buen Camino and safe travel

I'm impressed! It's really interesting peeing over everyone's shoulders here because this is a very different M.O. than mine. I never weigh anything, or do a whole lot of advance preparation - and somehow stumble into Santiago in one piece. Different strokes, both good.

Hi VNwalking - terrific post - and so wise as always. One tiny thing ... you might want to edit your post to include an "r" in "peeing" - first line, second paragraph. Gosh it made me laugh!
Best, best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One tiny thing ... you might want to edit your post to include an "r" in "peeing" - first line, second paragraph. Gosh it made me laugh!
:eek::oops:
Hahahahahhahaaaaaahahhahahhhhhaaaaa!
Well I'm happy to have caused some laughter. It's getting to be a rare commodity in the world. (This is one post that probably should have gone in that 'NOT serious' thread.)
Thanks, Jenny, I took care of it in VN's absence. ;)
Laurie you restored my dignity, thank you.:oops:

1. I am on the verge of loosing the camelback.. I do have the quick fill connection so I dont need to take it out to fill but dont be surprised if its gone by weekend lol.
2. The soap (1 bar of Dr Bonner’s pure Castile soap) is also doubles as laundry soap and acts as a natural bug repellant.
3. Shampoo is travel size so i think it might be ok
4. You may be correct about the rechargeable batteries..save money, good for environment
Thank you for your input and I think I already found something else I can take out lol..
I love my camelback because I drink much more that way - no need to take the pack off, or even stop. If you want to save weight, though, there are retro-fit tubes that fit on plain old plastic water bottles that do the same thing. I read about them here on the forum someplace, so you could do a search.
Soap...the Dr Bronners can be shampoo in a pinch but it's pretty drying. But once you get to Spain there is everything you could need, so no worries.
only 8 days to Spanish soil.
Woohoooooo! (I'm excited for all of you first-timers, about to fledge....)

What works well for me:

Like all good South Africans we took along what we thought we would need and not what we actually needed. Fortunately there is the Spanish Postal service that will ship anything you find you do not need to Santiago to await your arrival.

I love my books too much
Me too!
The Brierley book would also be a place to take notes, kind of a travel journal
Exactly!
Previously posted on another thread "Le Puy guidebooks":
I use the guide to record my journey. It becomes my journal. I date the pages, circle places where I stay, make notes right on the maps about the terrain, write comments about people I meet and the hospitaleros. I jot down notes about the accomodations and the food I eat. This way my days are recorded right on the map pages and I don't have to flip around from journal to guidebook to try to line up where and when events took place. Makes it so much easier to go back, years later, and revisit my camino.

Just to be absolutely clear. Brierley or any other guide (Miam Miam Dodo, Conrad Stein, the yellow guide, etc.) is for reference. I don't follow the suggested stages and even if I did...It is still my camino! :)

To all of you about to begin your journey I wish you buen camino.

Out:

Just as a precaution, double bag your petroleum jelly as it does, at times, dissolve the plastic bag. I learned from experience.

Just as a precaution, double bag your petroleum jelly as it does, at times, dissolve the plastic bag. I learned from experience.
Thank you I did lol.And its inside a small dry bag with my first aid stuff. Yes was aware it might dissolve I thought I’d take the chance. I can buy some in spain if necessary hope i wont need it lol

Edit: Oh i decided to take the camelback. Dare I say just in case ;)..one more go thru the backpack today and will provide final weight in a bit

Last edited:
I’ve just remembered that my first pack included spare socks and a bra, but no knickers. I had better rectify that!
Have you had a chance to WEAR the pack and walk a distance? 8+ kg is closing on 20 lb. Objective weight is 5 kg. At this level, there is little to no concern that pack weight will effect walking ability.

For me, I have 7 weeks to departure and I have been packed and ready for two weeks now.

Have you had a chance to WEAR the pack and walk a distance? 8+ kg is closing on 20 lb. Objective weight is 5 kg. At this level, there is little to no concern that pack weight will effect walking ability.

For me, I have 7 weeks to departure and I have been packed and ready for two weeks now.
Tried it ...
I am ex military veteran of 21 years I think I have done that a time or two carrying much more than 5kg lol. but yes . For me any weight will affect my walking ability so it doesnt matter. 5kg is impossible for me as I have injuries from military service to include knee, head, back and shoulder. And I must carry medical items a normal person would not carry. However with that being said I try to keep the weight as low as possible will take the camino at my pace as I am not afraid of solitude. Everything in my pack is a must have ...was just switching out some items because I found lighter materials.

Thank you for your input I appreciate how everyone in the forum is willing to help others. We shall see ...for me as with others it is a personal journey one of strength and focus, weather religious or just a personal goal. I was told by friends “you can’t do it”. But hahha “I am doing it” And will probably do it again. :)

Tried it ...
I am ex military veteran of 21 years I think I have done that a time or two carrying much more than 5kg lol. but yes . For me any weight will affect my walking ability so it doesnt matter. 5kg is impossible for me as I have injuries from military service to include knee, head, back and shoulder. And I must carry medical items a normal person would not carry. However with that being said I try to keep the weight as low as possible will take the camino at my pace as I am not afraid of solitude. Everything in my pack is a must have ...was just switching out some items because I found lighter materials.

Thank you for your input I appreciate how everyone in the forum is willing to help others. We shall see ...for me as with others it is a personal journey one of strength and focus, weather religious or just a personal goal. I was told by friends “you can’t do it”. But hahha “I am doing it” And will probably do it again. :)

There is a man in Bizkarret (after Roncesvalles but before Zubiri), who, if you see him, will provide a walking stick. He refuses even a donation. As a martial artist for nearly 40 years, what he offers could be used in defense, so quite sturdy. I know the Military does not use walking sticks, but, especially after injuries, and I belong to your club, Iriebabel, even one walking stick can be a great support.

There is a man in Bizkarret (after Roncesvalles but before Zubiri), who, if you see him, will provide a walking stick. He refuses even a donation. As a martial artist for nearly 40 years, what he offers could be used in defense, so quite sturdy. I know the Military does not use walking sticks, but, especially after injuries, and I belong to your club, Iriebabel, even one walking stick can be a great support.
Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the club of incredibly resilient people :) I wish I could use his stick but a few years ago I invested in 2 Leki wunderfreund (handicap cane handle) antishock poles (invaluable). And I just got a new knee brace

I promise to keep an eye out for him he sounds like a good soul with amazing experienc . And you are correct military never use poles unless you count the flag I carried in basic training ...I was the person who kept the marching pace lol normal people never walk in packs and sing with no sign of agony while walking in said pack lol

Attachments

• EF199BB3-B090-4779-89C9-F0EF7532B7CE.jpeg
    EF199BB3-B090-4779-89C9-F0EF7532B7CE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Update - after packing' and repacking:

I dropped: a few pieces of clothing (1 x boxers, 1 x long sleeved technical, 1 pair socks), some medical and hygiene items, spare bags.
I added: 1 pair gaiters, ventilated bags (swop), 1 pair socks (a swop for warmer pair), a small journal (i know, I know...)
My better-half made me put the unscented deodorant back in the backpack...
Weight: slightly less

NB: Also realized that the way i pack my bag for my flight will be different than my walking packed pack.
Flight: aiming (hoping) to fly with only carry-on luggage. So I will be wearing a few items more than needed; sling bag will have more items for use during the flight; backpack only 3/4 full.
Walking: basically have the slingbag in the backpack and sandals outside the pack.

Departure date: two more sleepies.

All of this might change without notice or sense.

Ready !
Update after packing :Little less than 8kg not much of a difference .
replaced sport bra with lighter regular bra, replaced shorts with lighter weight compression sport shorts

Will check in my pack with multitool and items for before and after. Can take my trekking poles on board as it is considered a walking cane.(bad knee)

Empty pack weight with rain cover and camelback water bladder 2.5 kg(thinking—camelback)
Must haves in or on pack: 5.3kg

1 Sleeping bag /liner (1 kg)
1 first aid kit...toilet paper
2 long Shirts/quickdry pants/1 bra/3underwear/2 socks/1compression shorts
Toiletries/sunblock/
First aid/injury specific medical items/medication
**Keen Sandals.
(Considering removal replace with flip flops-last minute decision )
sports towel
Rain gear (pants)
On Body: Knee brace w/sleeve
2 Leki trekking poles
1 pair Lowa Aeox gortex boots (trail runner)
1 long-sleeve shirt
1 Marino wool pull over
1 quick dry running pants
1 rain Jacket/gloves/buff
1 Bra/underwear/sock
1 Sunhat
1 Waist pack 1.5 kg
1 multi-tool.
wallet
luxury items: Camera/battery and rechargeable battery
charger for medical device
Phone/European plug charger dual usb /charging cable able
Headlamp
Prescription and Sunglasses/

Update - after packing' and repacking:

I dropped: a few pieces of clothing (1 x boxers, 1 x long sleeved technical, 1 pair socks), some medical and hygiene items, spare bags.
I added: 1 pair gaiters, ventilated bags (swop), 1 pair socks (a swop for warmer pair), a small journal (i know, I know...)
My better-half made me put the unscented deodorant back in the backpack...
Weight: slightly less

NB: Also realized that the way i pack my bag for my flight will be different than my walking packed pack.
Flight: aiming (hoping) to fly with only carry-on luggage. So I will be wearing a few items more than needed; sling bag will have more items for use during the flight; backpack only 3/4 full.
Walking: basically have the slingbag in the backpack and sandals outside the pack.

Departure date: two more sleepies.

All of this might change without notice or sense.
See you there 2 days to BCN not counting today. What was your final weight ?

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.