• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now I understand...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I look specifically for "cafe con leche"! I'm not able to duplicate it anywhere...well, almost nowhere. I am partial to Kirkland's Italian roast French pressed with lots of cream and a tad of sugar!
I think our problem on this side of the pond is not as much the coffee as it is the milk... Hard to replicate the wonderful, flavourful creaminess of European milk!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think our problem on this side of the pond is not as much the coffee as it is the milk... Hard to replicate the wonderful, flavourful creaminess of European milk!
Bingo! I think you are right. We do not have the thick "double cream" you can get in the UK and EU...maybe their cows are different.😅

I don’t drink coffee, and drink tea black, so can’t comment on what the milk is like on Camino in these beverages. However, I do like milk with cereal and I must say that I have found it difficult to find fresh milk in Europe. Although it is available in the UK in the refrigerated section of the supermarket, milk is mostly sold as UHT in the rest of Western Europe. I Have found fresh milk occasionally, but it is not widespread.
What have others experienced?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I must say that I have found it difficult to find fresh milk in Europe. Although it is available in the UK in the refrigerated section of the supermarket, milk is mostly sold as UHT in the rest of Western Europe. I Have found fresh milk occasionally, but it is not widespread.
I am from Germany, and fresh milk is available in every supermarket there, even with Aldi and Lidl. And I can remember, that even in Italy, 30 years ago, we bought fresh milk in a small village supermarket and were advised to put it "subito in refrigerato, subito!"
But you have to look into the fridge, it will not be exposed in the shelves and it certainly is not delivered from door to door as it used to be in the UK.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bingo! I think you are right. We do not have the thick "double cream" you can get in the UK and EU...maybe their cows are different.😅

I don't think the cows are different.
But I DO think the cows are TREATED differently.
Coming from a farming family, I'm horrified at the feedlot mentality in the USA for both beef and milk cows.
They never see a green blade of grass and live sad, miserable lives, stuck so close together in mud and manure up to their knees.

After much of California had gone to feedlots, we'd drive up to Oregon and my grandmother would always look at the fat cows out in the green pastures and say, "Oh! The cows look so happy here!"

I believe we ARE what we eat.
Not only is the milk fresh in Europe, it's happy milk from well-treated animals.

I only buy grass fed milk and meat in the USA, despite the extra cost.
But in Europe, I don't worry so much about it.
Seems most of their food is still clean - the money grubbers haven't yet gotten their hands on the entire food supply.

Oh, don't get me started! :😆:

Anyway, I agree, it's the MILK!
It's also the BREAD that I can eat in Europe that I cannot eat in the USA.

I don't drink coffee either but I do drink tea. Every rest stop I order a "te con leche". Sometimes they give me coffee, sometimes it's a whole cup of boiling milk with a tea bag, or if I'm really unlucky it's a cup of boiling milk with a herbal tea bag. Ugh.

But these things are important so I learned to break it down by asking for hot water and revealing my own tea bag. Then ask for a little "leche fria". :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you can get excellent coffee from almost every bar in Spain, Portugal and Italy I think the secret is not the milk, but it is the fact, that they brew lots of coffee there everyday which adds a special "patina" to the machine and is responsible for the excellent taste. Use the same machine, the same coffee-powder and even better drinking water from the tap in Germany but you will only on very rare occasions enjoy a similar good cup of coffee.

I DO think the cows are TREATED differently
Not so sure about this. Cows in the UK are normally outside and come in for milking. I've seen ganaderias in Spain where the cows are chained up for most of the day indoors in the milking parlour and can barely move. Also without fresh straw to lie on, just compacted shit. This isn't just on an industrial scale either, it happens a lot on small farms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wander and look specifically for "cafe con leche"! I'm not able to duplicate it anywhere...well, almost nowhere. When not in Spain I am partial to Kirkland's Italian roast French pressed with lots of cream and a tad of sugar!

Oh............it's the COFFEE! It's different. Your cafe con leche is likely made from torrefacto coffee. Columbian beans that are double roasted with sugar which increases antioxidants in the coffee. I had my first cup in the early 1970s. Back then it was usually served in a glass and I have never found anytime like it.
Consider it an art form. Every spaniard begins the day with the best cup of coffee in the world. Maybe that's why Spain is such a great country.
B3AD237A-D1F0-400D-A6F6-3724CA18D700_1_105_c.jpeg

I don't think the cows are different.
But I DO think the cows are TREATED differently.
Coming from a farming family, I'm horrified at the feedlot mentality in the USA for both beef and milk cows.
They never see a green blade of grass and live sad, miserable lives, stuck so close together in mud and manure up to their knees.

After much of California had gone to feedlots, we'd drive up to Oregon and my grandmother would always look at the fat cows out in the green pastures and say, "Oh! The cows look so happy here!"

I believe we ARE what we eat.
Not only is the milk fresh in Europe, it's happy milk from well-treated animals.

I only buy grass fed milk and meat in the USA, despite the extra cost.
But in Europe, I don't worry so much about it.
Seems most of their food is still clean - the money grubbers haven't yet gotten their hands on the entire food supply.

Oh, don't get me started! :😆:

Anyway, I agree, it's the MILK!
It's also the BREAD that I can eat in Europe that I cannot eat in the USA.

The cows here are mad, maybe more frolicking like, when they are let out in April after our very wet winter season, and the only time they will be bothered to act like roaming bisons on the prairie !!
check this out:

Last edited:
The cows here are mad, maybe more frolicking like, when they are let out in April after our very wet winter season, and the only time they will be bothered to act like roaming bisons on the prairie !!
check this out:
Awww, so cute...I'm kind of surprised their udders don't fall off! 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am from Germany, and fresh milk is available in every supermarket there, even with Aldi and Lidl. And I can remember, that even in Italy, 30 years ago, we bought fresh milk in a small village supermarket and were advised to put it "subito in refrigerato, subito!"
But you have to look into the fridge, it will not be exposed in the shelves and it certainly is not delivered from door to door as it used to be in the UK.
Ah, there's "fresh" milk and there's "unpasteurised" or "raw" milk - I think raw milk which hasn't had its bacteria count lowered by heating might sour quicker so there's more of a need to get it into a fridge quickly?

Oh, then maybe you can still get it in Germany. When was the last time you were there? I couldn’t find it in France or Belgium two weeks ago, or last year. I am currently living in the UK and each time we go to Europe we self cater, so go looking for milk (yes, in the fridge section) and only occasionally find it, even in Aldi and Lidl.

Oh............it's the COFFEE! It's different. Your cafe con leche is likely made from torrefacto coffee.
View attachment 69543
Torrefacto is absolutely part of it. There's a cafe in Santiago (about 15 minute walk outside the old city) that proudly refuses to use it. The owner complains about the flavor because it's not like what they use in Italy.

That's another question: What is a decent hour to start drinking vino tinto? No later than noon I suppose.
I take the remnants from the prior night and add it to some juice and have a poor man's sangria for my morning walk. Nice steady supply of energy, especially when the morning starts with a walk to get to breakfast or has a longer window to get to second breakfast.

I came across some Germans who swore by having a beer with breakfast or second breakfast because it was good fuel for walking. They said, "not too much for sleep, but just enough for energy."

Its all udder nonsence,we all know that Milk comes from Goats.

Why do cows have hooves? Because they lac tose !
Did you hear about the cow who tried to jump over a fence? It was udder devastating !

It's late, I'm tired and I needed a laugh !!!!!!!!! Good night all !!!!!!!!!!

In Germany "fresh" milk is "raw" milk, not treated by heating.
But normally it does not come in glass-bottles, but also in tetra-packs. If you do not read German, you can only distingish it from UHT-milk as it is stored in the fridge-section of the supermarkets, where you find butter, cheese and yoghurt, too.

Maybe it is not widespread in France and Belgium as they prefer to make cheese from it (raw milk cheese is very common there, but not that popular in Germany).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As an infrequent buyer of dairy (any food actually) in the northern hemisphere I was at first amused by cream being doubled.

Then I found "single" cream could not be whipped.

So I learned "double" cream was "normal" cream.in other parts of the world.
There is single cream, double and whipping cream.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why do cows have hooves? Because they lac tose !
Did you hear about the cow who tried to jump over a fence? It was udder devastating !

It's late, I'm tired and I needed a laugh !!!!!!!!! Good night all !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for my first smile 😊 of the day...great little puns while sipping my coffee!☕

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only problem I found on the Camino with Coffee was that one could not get a large enough cup of it. I had to wait till I got To Starbucks in Madrid on my way home to get a tall cup.
But you can get the cafe con leche in a very wide cup (not tall). I always stretched my arms out wide like a charade and asked for a grande!

Check in at albergue...shower...grocery run...Vino tinto time! Willing to debate this order of priority though...
I'm not disagreeing with the ordering but offering an alternative... stop at tienda to buy wine, albergue, drink some wine, shower, drink more wine, Menu del dia (with wine, naturally) and fall into the abyss of deep sleep and dream of wine.

€83,-
I don’t drink coffee, and drink tea black, so can’t comment on what the milk is like on Camino in these beverages. However, I do like milk with cereal and I must say that I have found it difficult to find fresh milk in Europe. Although it is available in the UK in the refrigerated section of the supermarket, milk is mostly sold as UHT in the rest of Western Europe. I Have found fresh milk occasionally, but it is not widespread.
Wow i’m shocked to hear you say you find it difficult to find fresh milk in Europe! Switzerland, France, Italy, Holland, Denmark, all these countries are known for their highest milk quality and thus excellent cheese. Not sure which countries in Europe you are talking about not being able to find fresh milk? Maybe you are looking at mom and pop hole in wall shops?
In Spain the best milk comes from Asturian/Galicia region (north) and you can find high quality fresh milk in the refrigerator. UHT is popular too - many cases when they want to store it longer to shorten the number of trips to the supermarket. Just fyi, i’m a cheese sommelier from Switzerland.

At one time unpasteurized fresh milk in Europe was a major contributor to the spread of Tuberculosis. My parents generation born in the 1920s/30s were brought up on the idea that the only safe milk was UHT or sterilised milk that in the UK was delivered to the door. This was supplied in a bottle with a red crown cork top that could not be interfered with. Post pasteurization of milk and large scale testing for TB in the European Dairy herds has eliminated the risk but attitudes may have become inherited. When I was growing up in the 60s it was still common to see re top Sterilized milk being delivered. There were some households who would have both Redtop and silver top (pasteurised full fat) milk delivered to the same house!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow i’m shocked to hear you say you find it difficult to find fresh milk in Europe! Switzerland, France, Italy, Holland, Denmark, all these countries are known for their highest milk quality and thus excellent cheese. Not sure which countries in Europe you are talking about not being able to find fresh milk? Maybe you are looking at mom and pop hole in wall shops?
In Spain the best milk comes from Asturian/Galicia region (north) and you can find high quality fresh milk in the refrigerator. UHT is popular too - many cases when they want to store it longer to shorten the number of trips to the supermarket. Just fyi, i’m a cheese sommelier from Switzerland.
Yes, I was shocked too. I was sure that fresh milk could be bought in supermarkets in Europe, but I have walked Camino Frances twice, and have travelled to France, Germany and Belgium recently and only found fresh milk in Belgium on one day.
Large supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl, also mom and pop supermarkets (such as on Camino) did not seem to have fresh milk available to buy.
They did, however, have very good cheese - and bread! So we didn’t starve, just switched to the best available product. Yum!

Oh, then maybe you can still get it in Germany. When was the last time you were there? I couldn’t find it in France or Belgium two weeks ago, or last year. I am currently living in the UK and each time we go to Europe we self cater, so go looking for milk (yes, in the fridge section) and only occasionally find it, even in Aldi and Lidl.
In Portugal, every grocery store and every supermarket sells various brands of UHT, in full-fat, half-fat, and "magro" skim.That stuff can stay on a shelf until it's opened--then you have to refrigerate it and it lasts about the same length of time as North American milk. I'd guess 95% of the coffee bars use this--probably the full-fat.

A few of the bigger supermarkets also sell a bit of refrigerated milk. Found with the butter in the cooler. But it's really uncommon.

I'd suspect Spain is the same. France--??

Portugal is very proud of their milk. Much of it comes from the Azores.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh............it's the COFFEE! It's different. Your cafe con leche is likely made from torrefacto coffee. Columbian beans that are double roasted with sugar which increases antioxidants in the coffee. I had my first cup in the early 1970s. Back then it was usually served in a glass and I have never found anytime like it.

thought is was a myth about the antioxodants, but you´re right:

to me the powerful quality is a delicious, dark taste, that I do not get anywhere else than in Spain

In Spain the best milk comes from Asturian/Galicia region (north) and you can find high quality fresh milk in the refrigerator.
Right. Just because it's served in a box doesn't mean it's UHT. If it's in the fridge, it's fresh. I mean, this isn't just Spain...

There is single cream, double and whipping cream.

In your home area, of course.

I understand Einstein said "keep things a simple as possible, but no simpler".

In my home area we have umpteen dozen types of milk.
And keeping Einstein in mind we have only one type of cream, the kind you could make butter from if so minded.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know what milk they use, but I've never had a bad café con lech in Spain. Who knows? The ambience, the barista, the machine, the temperature they heat the milk, the beans, the company.

The readiness, the capacity, the inclination to serve a fast cuppa!?
I don´t know either..!

DSCF4162.JPG

Last edited:

€149,-
The readiness, the capacity, the inclination to serve a fast cuppa!?
I don´t know either..!

View attachment 69895nclinat
The photo brings back memories! I saw this same scenario many times on the camino...gearing up for the influx of morning pilgrims, and the locals on their way to work in the cities. They sure know how to balance their act!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in France and can ge fresh milf from our local supermarket (and those further away) but the joy of living here is to get it straight from the farm when it is still warm.

Definitely available in french supermarkets (even the small ones)

and it certainly is not delivered from door to door as it used to be in the UK.

Apparently doorstep delivery has returned to the UK.

It’s to do with eliminating plastics and other non-recyclable packaging, and the switch back to glass bottles (which we have, locally, already).

or, from ‘big business’:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In a lot of Spanish coffee they have a % of torrefacto which is sugar burnt onto coffee beans this is thought to have been popular during the spanish civil as they had a coffee shortage. If you look for 100% coffee in spain you look for 100% Mezcla.most bars wont sell 100% though.

Fresh milk is a thing in the UK. That's why we complain we can't get a decent cup of tea anywhere else.
The reason you can't get a decent cup of tea is not the milk, it's the fact that they don't use boiling water, and their tea bags are probably rubbish too. Their semi-skimmed is just the same as ours - homogenised (alternatively described as micro-filtered).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The reason you can't get a decent cup of tea is not the milk, it's the fact that they don't use boiling water, and their tea bags are probably rubbish too. Their semi-skimmed is just the same as ours - homogenised (alternatively described as micro-filtered).

Capputea-no 😭

IMG_2725a copy.jpg

Pascual milk in Spain is good. Super on its own or with ColaCao.

Pascual milk is UHT (uperisada)(whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed)(entera, semidesnatada, desnatada). Not to everyone's taste. ['Pascual' is a brand name.]

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.