• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now it feels real!

Saunterr

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Finesterre 2015
VdlP 2017
It's becoming more and more a reality! My dream of doing another camino has taken on a life of it's own, and has turned into a loose plan!

As it stands, my plan is to hike from Seville as far as Salamanca, from mid-Feb to mid-March. I will need to save the rest of the VdlP for another time.

From the perigrinos who have done this route, I would appreciate advice about a couple things:
-is this a reasonable distance to do in about 24 walking days? (I'm using the Gerrard Kelly guide)
-if I'm running behind schedule, is there some kind of transportation (ie. a bus or shuttle?) that goes between the small towns on the VdlP?
-from Salamanca, I will need to get into Madrid. Are busses or some kind of public transportation available?
Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and suggestions!

Anyone else thinking they might be starting around the same time? I'll be the one sporting the new camino tattoo:cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is Estacion de Autobuses Salamanca. The page includes bus lines and schedules.

http://www.estacionautobusessalamanca.es/

Renfe operates trains from Salamanca to Madrid.

Avanzabus operates buses from Salamanca to Madrid under Express Auto Res label every half hour. You need to know if the bus you are on is going to Madrid Moncloa, Estacion Sur, or Airport T4.

Cercanias connects Estacion Sur and Renfe Chamartin to Airport T4.

Madrid Metro connects Estacion Sur (Alvaro Mendez) and Moncloa to Airport. Transfers required.

Avanzabus holds sway in West Spain. Its probably best to try their schedule first. Otherwise, if its not on the Salamanca or Seville estacion de autobuses page, look up the 'ayuntamiento' or 'consello' pages for any given village to find transportation information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Estacion de Autobuses Salamanca. The page includes bus lines and schedules.

http://www.estacionautobusessalamanca.es/

Renfe operates trains from Salamanca to Madrid.

Avanzabus operates buses from Salamanca to Madrid under Express Auto Res label every half hour. You need to know if the bus you are on is going to Madrid Moncloa, Estacion Sur, or Airport T4.

Cercanias connects Estacion Sur and Renfe Chamartin to Airport T4.

Madrid Metro connects Estacion Sur (Alvaro Mendez) and Moncloa to Airport. Transfers required.

Avanzabus holds sway in West Spain. Its probably best to try their schedule first. Otherwise, if its not on the Salamanca or Seville estacion de autobuses page, look up the 'ayuntamiento' or 'consello' pages for any given village to find transportation information.
Thank you! This will make it easier to figure out a backup plan in case I need one!
Muchos gracias!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marcie.

One thing to keep in mind if you're ending in March is daylight savings. (March 26, 2017 in Spain.) I once ended a hike in Salamanca over daylight savings but didn't realize it because Spain and the U.S. change clocks several weeks apart. Anyway, I ended up arriving at the bus station to catch my bus to the airport an hour late! Thankfully there was another bus I could catch and so I didn't miss my flight back home. But I did have to pay another $30 or so for another bus ticket, as your ticket is for a specific day/time/seat.

Buen Camino!
Melanie

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm good at doing! Thanks for the heads up! I'll actually be in France march 26-- do you know if they are on the same schedule?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back