Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Now October

Rod

Originally I was walking in September but now due to circumstances beyond my control I find I now cannot leave Melbourne before the 1st of October meaning I will be starting out from SJPdP somewhere around the 5th. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like and will there be plenty of accommodation available. I am not sure if some of the albergues close up after summer.

Rod

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

lckgj

I walked between Logrono and Burgos in early November last year. The weather was unexpectedly warm and my pack was heavy due to the amount of warm gear I was having to carry rather than wear! The day after I stopped walking it poured so I was lucky.

Unfortunately I think you have to go prepared for all weathers. Walking keeps you pretty warm so you probably need less layers than you think, however something to keep the rain and wind out is essential. I took a very lightweight down sleeping bag and was never cold at night as all the albergues I stayed in were heated to some degree.

Some albergues were closed but it was not a problem so long as you can be a little flexible as to where you stop for the night. The hospitaleros were generally well informed as to whether the next albergue further down the route from them would be open or not. I never had to resort to staying in hotels or pensions which was not the case this month when I walked from Burgos to Leon and found some albergues packed out by 2pm.

The only other suggestion I would make is that you take fast drying clothing as if you want to wash your clothes through every day there was often not enough warmth left in the day to ensure things dried in time and some albergues have very limited indoor drying facilities.

Buen Camino!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings