• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now this is 'Serious' Training!

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
As some may know, even after 3 Caminos I am yet to 'enjoy' the communal living aspects of shared accommodation :oops:

Yes I feel like a total fraud!
A touragrino! I admit it.

My name is Robo and I'm a 'slack packer' Pilgrim......... :oops:

I have all the excuses under the sun. I snore, I get up in the night, I spent too many years sleeping in Military dormitories, I can afford a private room so why not? And yet I know these are mere excuses ......... 😞

If I want to walk the VdlP as my next Camino, I will need to use Albergues as sometimes there will be no other option.

So I should 'embrace' this opportunity! 🙂

This is a chance to change my ways, throw off the excuses, and experience a Camino as it should be experienced 🤔

So I have adapted and added to my training regime!

Here is my new bed at home! 😜

I have to say the top bunk is a real pain to get into!
Arthritic knees!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When you are having your training sessions, are you inviting random scruffy strangers to use the other bunk? and to move about squeekily as much as they desire?

It's a terrific effort you are making, but I think you are doing a far nobler service to the cause by sleeping in private rooms as much as you do. And, Alfonso and Isabella and Fernando did not share their rooms when they went on their pilgrimages. So you are very authentic.

😁

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As some may know, even after 3 Caminos I am yet to 'enjoy' the communal living aspects of shared accommodation :oops:

I have all the excuses under the sun. I snore, I get up in the night, I spent too many years sleeping in Military dormitories, I can afford a private room so why not? And yet I know these are mere excuses ......... 😞

If I want to walk the VdlP as my next Camino, I will need to use Albergues as sometimes there will be no other option.

This is a chance to change my ways, throw off the excuses, and experience a Camino as it should be experienced 🤔

View attachment 61124

Arthritic knees!
But you cheated! Your sleeping bag is on the bottom bunk.
I would love to host you in the pilgrim donativo in Najera: 92 pilgrims in bunk beds in the same room, and the excess of beds often causes pilgrims to get a little closer than comfortable. Of course, as a hospitalera I shall have my own bed in a separate room. Look in if you are passing through in the second half of September.

I would love to host you in the pilgrim donativo in Najera: 92 pilgrims in bunk beds in the same room, and the excess of beds often causes pilgrims to get a little closer than comfortable. Of course, as a hospitalera I shall have my own bed in a separate room. Look in if you are passing through in the second half of September.
Is it only 92? I would have sworn it was closer to 300.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Robo, you can be very humorous. Thanks for giving me an early morning laugh! Your bunk area is far too clean though. You must take everything out of your backpack and throw the items randomly around your bunk on the floor so you can trip over them on your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"Grandma, why does Grandpa get to sleep in the new bunkbeds that are supposed to be for us?"
"A difficult question to answer, my darlings; you'll have to ask him. He says it has something to do with training."
"Training for what, Grandma?"
"Grandpa is going on a long walk."
"Why can't he train in his own bed? He promised the bunkbeds were ours when we come visit."
"There there. Let me dry your eyes. Say, how about a nice ice cream?"
"Oh, Grandma, you're the best!"

And thus began the long journey of Robo...

€149,-

View attachment 61124

Arthritic knees!
Ha!! Another excuse, though most may allow it. I was looking at this story through a Drill Sergeant's eyes. "Are you looking for a DOR, Soldier?"

The
The pilgrims donativo in Najera is one of my fondest memories on the Camino! The hospitalera from India had a guitar, we had 2 Italians that played and sang. We sang and danced for hours in the communal area. Big shared meal cooking, lots of wine, fantastic host and hostess, great experience in HUGE room of bunks. A memory I will never forget!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 61124

Arthritic knees!
Love this and also prefer private rooms for all the same reasons but occasionally staying in albergues has definitely provided some memorable moments.
Planning to walk VdlP next year so might see you there.

Great idea!!!

Let me help you a little!

Here you have some snores !!

Enjoy your training!! 😂

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back