Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Best lightweight guides
Best lightweight guides for before and after your Camino, just 1.4 oz (40 grams)!
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

Number of arriving pilgrims soars in Holy Week

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

The number of pilgrims who arrived at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago in the first three months of the year appeared to be down on previous years. This led some people to suggest the Camino might be fading in popularity. Others blamed the weather, the exchange rate and a variety of other causes. In fact the dip in numbers was caused by when Holy Week and Easter falls. These are moveable feasts.

Comparing the numbers for the last three years in the period from El Viernes de Dolores (the Friday before Palm Sunday) to Easter Monday:

Pilgrims Registering at the Pilgrims' Office:

2012 - 7,042

2013 - 5833

2014 - 9055

The Camino is alive and well and continues to grow!

Best regards from Santiago

John

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

jillmom

Past OR future Camino
April, 2014
I'm proud to say I was one of them, John. My son and I arrived on April 19 having started in O Ceberiero on April 12. It's the best thing I've ever done, and I miss it already.

Rambler

Past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
John:
Are you seeing that surge continuing in this week after Easter? I would image it is impacting you all in the Pilgrim office if so. That is quite a jump!

Rambler

brawblether

Past OR future Camino
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Wow what an increase. What do you think caused the dip in 2013? (Or was 2012 a hike and 2013 more on par with 2011?)

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
D

Deleted member 3000

For the month of April there will be over 17,200 pilgrims. There were 11,533 last year, 14,751 in 2012, 14,154 in 2011, and 19,587 in the Holy Year of 2010. Easter week makes a difference in March and April statistics, but it is clear that the numbers will be up!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads