• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Number of Pilgrims in April and May

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I have found this forum to be very useful. I've started planning for my walk, including ordering a hyperlight backpack and lightweight waterproof hiking boots. My walking poles have already arrived : )

As Easter will fall on April 8 and May 1 is a holiday, I've narrowed down the beginning of my walk from SJPP to April 15-23 or May 7-14 to avoid crowds. Any thoughts about these dates (or other April & May dates) to start the camino?

Peace,

Hieu

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some stats from the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean:

For the period 2004-2010, it was in May 2008 that the highest monthly record was recorded with 6841 pilgrims, representing a daily average of 220!

The graph below, in attendance weekly in 2010, shows 2 periods of high season, better than the picture of monthly visits.
One - end of April to early June; The 2nd period of high season is from early August to late September.

For 2011:
While in the first 8 weeks of the year, ie until the end of February, there were an average of 37 pilgrims a week, there was an explosion in attendance between May 2 and June 8 with a weekly average of 1700, an average of more than 240 p. a day.

More stats here:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/-ST ... 2010-.html

Re: Pilgrimage in April and May is a good idea

Hello.
See my statistic.
The numbers are taken from the official statistic site of the Saint James Brotherhood at Santiago.
These are the numbers of compostelas given to the pilgrims at the pilgrins office.
You see the peak of pilgrims arrival at Santiago is between July and September. At this time there is a real stampede on the etappe from Saría to Santiago.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is good to see stats of pilgrims who are starting (or passing through) St Jean and then those who have finished in Santiago.
Many people start in St Jean but only walk a couple of weeks. I had two people with me in September who started in St Jean and finsihed in Logroño.
The Camino is always busier in the first week or 10 days and the last week or ten days.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Jochen_Schmidtke said:
Hello.
See my statistic.
The numbers are taken from the official statistic site of the Saint James Brotherhood at Santiago.
These are the numbers of compostelas given to the pilgrims at the pilgrins office.
You see the peak of pilgrims arrival at Santiago is between July and September. At this time there is a real stampede on the etappe from Saría to Santiago.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Thanks to sillydoll and Jochen Schmidtke for the stats. From the graphs, it looks like late March or early April would be even less crowded for me to start at SJPP. How's the weather like to start the camino late March and early April? Still cold and snow?
Peace,
Hieu

hieudovan said:
Jochen_Schmidtke said:
Hello.
See my statistic.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Thanks to sillydoll and Jochen Schmidtke for the stats. From the graphs, it looks like late March or early April would be even less crowded for me to start at SJPP. How's the weather like to start the camino late March and early April? Still cold and snow?
Peace,
Hieu

I finally took the plunge, mainly due to the low airfare being offered. Leaving at the end of March is much cheaper than April or May. So I'll be getting on the plane in Sacramento, California on March 28 and arriving in Madrid the following day. I plan to start walking from SJPDP April 1 and stopping at Orisson the first day as advised by many of you. I am 63 y/o so I'd like to make sure I have a good start. I've bought my backpack, boots, John Brierley's 2012 guide, poles etc... I'll be in training in February as my right Achilles tendon is still inflamed from my running. I have given myself 45 days to make it to Finisterre and Muxia. No matter how far I will have walked, I will need to be on the plane at the Madrid airport May 20. I'm excited in preparing for and eventually walking the Camino. This forum has been very helpful in providing information for me to prepare for the Camino. Thanks again. Happy Holidays to one and all. -Hieu

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back