• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Number of shoes to take (and underwear and other stuff...)

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi yall,

I have my walking boots to take and walk in; and I was planning to take my flip flops and nothing else. However my parents say I must take a second pair of shoes, at least to start with, and alternate, and then just throw, or leave behind on the camino, as I have settled in my boots.
What do yall think?

Also, slightly shifting from topic, but not quite: any thoughts on how much underwear? Everywhere I read: 3 pairs of underwear, three pairs of socks. How about four pairs of underwear? Given that probably two of them will be light thongs? And what about the bras? One or two? I'm thinking two.

Also, do I need a mirror?
What about a light scarf? I might take one.

Thanks for your help!!!! I really need it.

Sophia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Three is usually the number ( some only two) so you can wear one and wash one. Im taking two bras because when I get out of the shower after walking I don't want to put on a sweaty bra! Also you will have one on while the other is drying.

Shoes..... hum. Ive been toying with that idea myself. Then I decided that if my feet were hot, needed a change I could put on my flip flops for an hour then put may boots back on. I also think that your feet will thank you more for a rest for an hour than pushing on with new shoes??????? Undecided.

You will find mirrors along the way. I usually walk with a pair of boots and a pair of very light sandals for wearing indoors or around town in the evening. I am a little concerned at the idea that you are planning to "settle in" to your boots on the way. The time for that really should be before you start - wearing them for a few days and some decent walks at home so that you can check them out for fit and comfort. That way if there is a problem you can sort it out more easily. Halfway over the Pyrenees is not a good time and place to find something that works better for you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Currently walking in Altra trailrunners and crocs for afterwards! Both have been superb even in rain and snow. If you need new shoes, there are sports stores in the larger cities. Wife took a buff as her scarf since it can be used multiple ways. As for socks, I am glad to have four pairs since it’s very wet right now and things aren’t really drying well, plus it’s not to have clean dry socks to change into Galway through the day. Three underwear is plenty since you are likely to wear them more than one day

If you peruse the forums here - especially the equipment forum - you will find answers to your questions, and packing lists of what others have brought.
Personally, I walk in trail running shoes and bring a pair of "hiking" sandals that I can wear around town and on the trail. I bring 3 pairs if underwear, 3 pairs of socks and 2 bras.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I never bring flip flops, but instead bring a very lightweight waterproof shoe or sandal that can be worn in the shower, but also around town in the evening with socks if needed in chillier spring weather. I wear trail runners walking...so only two pair of shoes total for me.

Last edited:
I always just brought and wore one pair of shoes/boots. Never needed to resort to a second pair, but I suppose if you brought some hiking sandals they could do double duty as shower shoes, but they are heavier than cheap flip-flops.
Two pairs of walking/hiking footwear is not a necessity.
I never carried a mirror or needed one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi yall,

I have my walking boots to take and walk in; and I was planning to take my flip flops and nothing else. However my parents say I must take a second pair of shoes, at least to start with, and alternate, and then just throw, or leave behind on the camino, as I have settled in my boots.
What do yall think?

Also, slightly shifting from topic, but not quite: any thoughts on how much underwear? Everywhere I read: 3 pairs of underwear, three pairs of socks. How about four pairs of underwear? Given that probably two of them will be light thongs? And what about the bras? One or two? I'm thinking two.

Sophia
Hi Sofia, wisdom being your name... trawl through all the threads on packing lists, weigh it all up - literally - and be happy with what you decide you will carry.

Hi Sophia

I will be doing my Camino this May and will be bringing my salomon shoes and a lightweight sandal that will be used around town and even for the walk if I do not want to wear my shoes. The sandal can also be worn in the shower as it dries easily. I am still debating if I will bring a flip flop ... I have another 3 weeks of travel after SDC ... with family.

Buen Camino

Hi Sophia, I thought I would share my experiences with you;

Any thoughts on how much underwear? I took three pair of these AMAZING undies in the link below that were super-light and fast-drying (IF you choose to order these, make sure you get the SHEER versions);

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/womens-ua-pure-stretch-sheer-novelty-thong-3-for-33/pid1290948-980

And what about the bras? I took two sports bras, but would consider taking two tank tops with a built-in bra next time instead
Do I need a mirror - I wore light makeup everyday (I know, I know) so I did pick up an unbreakable mirror at a camping store
What about a light scarf - I took one and was so happy I did!! It was great to wear as a wrap in the cool evenings, or to wear for extra warm around my neck on those super-chilly mornings!! I also did take a buff too which was also very handy!!
Socks - I brought three pair of the merino wool socks with the built-in liners. I don't think two is enough because sometimes you have to change said socks enroute so it's always good to have an emergency dry pair, especially once you enter Galicia

As far as footwear goes, I took my hiking boots, a pair of hiking sandals and a pair of flip-flops to wear when I got to my destination, to walk around town. I wore the sandals ONCE and hated them, so never wore them again, but lots of people LOVE to wear them to hike in, so it's a very personal choice. If you decide you have too much footwear, you can always send them ahead to Santiago for holding.

Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Any thoughts on how much underwear? I took three pair of these AMAZING undies in the link below that were super-light and fast-drying (IF you choose to order these, make sure you get the SHEER versions);

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/womens-ua-pure-stretch-sheer-novelty-thong-3-for-33/pid1290948-980

And what about the bras? I took two sports bras, but would consider taking two tank tops with a built-in bra next time instead
Do I need a mirror - I wore light makeup everyday (I know, I know) so I did pick up an unbreakable mirror at a camping store
What about a light scarf - I took one and was so happy I did!! It was great to wear as a wrap in the cool evenings, or to wear for extra warm around my neck on those super-chilly mornings!! I also did take a buff too which was also very handy!!
Socks - I brought three pair of the merino wool socks with the built-in liners. I don't think two is enough because sometimes you have to change said socks enroute so it's always good to have an emergency dry pair, especially once you enter Galicia

As far as footwear goes, I took my hiking boots, a pair of hiking sandals and a pair of flip-flops to wear when I got to my destination, to walk around town. I wore the sandals ONCE and hated them, so never wore them again, but lots of people LOVE to wear them to hike in, so it's a very personal choice. If you decide you have too much footwear, you can always send them ahead to Santiago for holding.

Buen Camino!!
Hello!
Wow! Thank you so much for detailed answer! It was very helpful!

I cannot imagine carrying three pairs of footwear to walk the Camino. I've only done it with two, and the second pair was a disposable pair of rubber flip-flops, or shower shoes, if you will. I never carried more than that even in the military on long stretches in the field. You had your boots, and sometimes shower shoes.
The Camino is a lot of kilometeres on a pair of footwear, but one pretty much knows, or should know, if they will make the trip, and that based on the age and condition of the footwear and past experience with that particular type. Say for example you have brand X shoes, model Z and you have owned them before, and they fit, etc and work well for you in the past, so you start your walk in Saint Jean with those shoes, and they are fairly new, maybe just broken in with less that 100 km's on them. In all likelihood those shoes will arrive on your feet in Santiago in good condition, just dusty and dirty, and if by some chance they blow out a sole around Leon, you can buy a set there to get you to the coast, but all in all, that is probably a rare occurrence if the shoes were like I said, proven to you, and in newer condition before your Camino.
I do not believe I met any fellow pilgrims carrying "just in case" footwear. Not saying nobody does, I just never met any.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia

Hello Sophia

First off, I'm a guy so take that into consideration when you read my comments. I have no clue about the mirror, or the scarf or how many of whatever other than socks and shoes. Regarding foot gear - I took my beloved pair of well broken in Asolo boots, my Keen sandals and a pair of flip flops. I went long on the socks. Three pairs to me is the bare minimum. I took 5 pairs of good quality wool socks (Darn Toughs). My rational is one pair to wear in mornings, one in afternoons, one drying and two for just in case, well as you know stuff does happen. It worked fine for me as I had only one small blister and that was the last week onthe CF. Enjoy and be safe!

Ultreia

Bob

I’ll just answer the first question. I suggest sticking with your original plan on footwear. One pair of walking/hiking shoes and a pair of flip flops is plenty. The problem with bringing insurance policy type items like a second pair of walking shoes is that the weight of your pack increases and you actually increase the odds that you’re going to run into trouble. If your first pair are a problem, you will likely know that by either Pamplona or Burgos, so you could pick up a replacement pair there. One member of my Camino family in 2015 did just that.

Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia

I take a pair of hiking shoes (that fit after I've been hiking for 6 hours). Try this at home first! I also take tevas to wear (sports sandal), that I can hike in if necessary.
I wear one pair of underwear, and take one other pair. I also use panty liners while walking to keep them a bit cleaner. Though I do wash one pair every day. (I use ex officio give-n-go brand.)
I also use a camisole (exofficio give-n-go) with a shelf bra. When it gets hot, I just wear that. I wear one and take one.
Socks: two pair liner socks. two pair light wool socks.

Regarding a second pair of shoes: You can buy another pair in Spain if necessary. My feet grew a size while walking-- that may happen to you too.

Regarding a scarf-- I took a light pretty scarf/shawl last October, and used it once. Maybe if it had been colder.. but really it was a waste of space, worry and weight. You can always buy one on the camino if you feel you need one.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia

Some people only take their walking boots/shoes and flip-flops for the evening. Works for them. I don't because I sprained my ankle in flip-flops (in my garden!) so I take walking sandals. It really is up to you.
IMO: You need one pair of walking shoes you are comfortable in and a pair of something else to change into when you stop walking.

Underwear (bra and knickers) : again imo one to wear, one to wash. Same with socks IN SUMMER. At other times I would take 3 pairs or even 4 because they take more time to dry. When are you walking?

A scarf? Yes, why not?

A mirror? There are mirrors in every albergue, let alone hotels.
Happy planning!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bring 3 pair of underwear just in case one goes missing from the clothesline. :D I wouldn't want to be left with just one pair!

My friend lost a set, we were so lucky to find a China shop open in Estella, and replace them. I suspect they weren't deliberately taken, but the washing was so crushed up on the line, they probably grabbed more then they meant to.

Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia
Hi Sophia,. Of course you need a light scarf. This is my favorite item. It looks pretty in the evening if you go to Mass. You can hang them from a bunk for privacy, and they even make a sarong after a shower.
As for an extra pair of shoes the answer is yes or no. You state you were wearing boots. Boots are optional on the Camino and I have walked it 5 times in trail runners. I have seen many people carrying their boots and wearing sandals to hike in because of blisters. So you should bring a pair of hiking sandals.
There is no special rule for the number of pairs of socks or underwear. The real issue is pack weight. Be aware that even light things add up. A pack that feels okay walking around the house is twice as heavy going uphill. And really, none of this matters. If you feel you need something you can buy it in Spain along the way. And there are baskets to donate clothing at every Albergue. If a heavy something is valuable you can always mail it to Ivar in Santiago.

Last edited:
I have my walking boots ...

Boots??!! Are these heavy? Do you normally wear boots in your normal day to day activities?

Most people I have encountered, whether in France, Spain, Scotland, England and here at home wear walking/running shoes.

And many of those wear breathable shoes. That is one where the upper has porous "fabric". This way there is no or minimal heat build up. And heat build up is one of the two primary causes of blisters.
Any moisture that does get in (rain or wading streams) quickly dissipates by normal activity.

And some people even wear very open sandals.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mindful of keeping the weight on my back to a minimum and having found that things dry overnight, I bring one spare lot of undies, trousers and top to change into after taking my shower - I wash everything I wore while walking every day. Plus a fleece jacket and anorak against cold. I bring slim crocs to wear upon arrival (can be used in showers as well). And I wear new boots all day long for ages before setting off on a camino. Never had a problem with blisters.

Many years ago I met a young Brazilian who was walking in flipflops and used a black binliner as a cape. When we found ourselves in the same dorm on Monte de Gozo he produced from his pack a pair of beautiful walking boots which he had been carrying since almost the beginning of his walk....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia
Hi Sophia !!!!
I would say just take your boots (already settled) and your flip flops (conformtable enough to walk in towns after you’ve showered, I took ff from crocs, and they were great).
As to the underwear take 3 and 2 sportbras, and 3 pair of merino or smartwool socks is fine, and linners The scarf or buff is fine. No mirrors are needed...and the perfect make-up will be a smile !!! Enjoy the “before” Camino experience...but LIVING EL CAMINO is “THE” experience!!!!!
BUEN CAMINO !!!!

Last edited:
Your phone’s camera makes a perfectly fine mirror. Bring a pair of crocs or flip flops as a second pair of footwear. Vital for those showers in the albergues. Carrying an extra pair of shoes just adds weight needlessly.

Your phone’s camera makes a perfectly fine mirror. Bring a pair of crocs or flip flops as a second pair of footwear. Vital for those showers in the albergues. Carrying an extra pair of shoes just adds weight needlessly.
Every albergue I stayed in, and most bars where I used the bathroom had mirrors.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia

You should take one shoe/boot per foot. As per underwear or anything other clothing for that matter, you can wear one pair, have one pair drying, and the third pair on the ready. Sure, you can take 5 pair, or 10 pair - you name it - but remember that although each pair weighs very little - collectively it all adds up. My goal when I go to St Jean this fall will be to have under 10 lbs including the weight of the pack.

Buen Camino!!
Hi ShaLaw, how much did your pack weigh (not including the actual pack)? You have pretty much described the amount that I want to take and I’ve given up on the 10% of body weight guideline, but I’m wondering what I’m getting myself into…

Hi ShaLaw, how much did your pack weigh (not including the actual pack)? You have pretty much described the amount that I want to take and I’ve given up on the 10% of body weight guideline, but I’m wondering what I’m getting myself into…

Hi Peregrinamaybe,
Even though I completely agree that you should aim for as light a pack as is possible, I too disregarded the 10% body weight rule. At the time of the Camino, I weighed about 140lbs and my pack weighed about 18-19lbs. Because I had a really great pack, (Black Diamond 55L from MEC that could be compressed - see pic below) it felt much lighter than that. Next time, I plan to take hiking shoes instead of boots (I have weird ankle bones and the way the boot rubbed it made it feel like a bee sting so I now have KEEN shoes instead of boots) and flip flops and that’s it. Next time I will take the same amount of socks, etc..referred to in this post, but would lighten things up by not taking the hiking sandals and less clothing. I took too many tops last time!! I also took two sports bras that were for really high impact sports so next time would take something way lighter or the tank tops with built in bra instead.

Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• 102A6270-C473-42DF-803C-B5668B935EFC.jpeg
    102A6270-C473-42DF-803C-B5668B935EFC.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 54
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia

Hi Sophia,

I just finished the Sarria to Santiago 1 week ago. It was raining most of the time, with a few sunny breaks intermittently.

If you are doing this 5-6 day walk, I'd recommend a pair of water proof trekking shoes, pr of flip flops. 3 pr undies, 3 pr socks, 2 bras tops. It was cold when I did the walk. I had to buy a pair of thermo leggings (9euros) to wear underneath my trekking pants. , which was enough to keep me warm throughout the entire walk. 2 pr light weight trekking pants tops. kleenex also, so cold, runny noses throughout day. I bought rain ponchos out there for 6 euros, big enough to cover pack. Once u wear the poncho, you will be very warm, even hot perhaps.

No need for mirror or make up. Make sure you do have sun screen, cap/hat, and a rain poncho if it is still raining. Do layers. 1 short sleeve tee, 2 long sleeve, 1 pr trekking pants, which can be rinsed out and dried every night if need to. Mainly it will get muddied up calk to ankle if it rains. Brought a light weight fleece vest and wore my hooded water proof trekking jacket. You will definitely warm up while you are walking. yes on a neck warmer. They have all that stuff along the camino. stores for pilgrims and reasonably priced. Might as well pick up a souvenir neck scarf(5 to 15 euros) Also, if u r planning to go now, bring light hand gloves too. Ear plugs if u r staying in hostals and albergues
For a 5-6 day walk, you can pack as light as 6-8 kg ;-) Go light, cuz you will trek along creeks and very muddy roads with slippery stones etc.

Good luck!

Shoes : one pair, if they're no good they're replaceable. Replaceable weighs less than a second pair in your pack.

An argument exists for carrying a very light pair of footwear for the evening etc, but I'd actually suggest to those starting at SJPP who might want that to get themselves a pair of Basque espadrilles for such purposes, as they are truly excellent, and SJPP specialises in that footwear so you likely won't need to bring it with you.

Last edited:
Not reading any posts above, here is my take: I am a backpacker so weight is crucial...even on the Camino.
I have a pair of extremely light weight TEVA'S to put on after trekking and shower, with or without socks, I don't care what people think, depends on my comfort. Only one bra, you can put it on damp, it will dry quickly. Three pairs of panties, two pairs of socks, one pair of hiking shorts, one pair of hiking pants, a BUFF, two hiking shirts, make sure one is long sleeved, a light weight jacket or puff, etc... be prepared to toss anything if you don't need it or it becomes unusable. Unlike backpacking, on the Camino you can get anything. I got a pair of hiking shorts in 2014 in Astorga that I still use to this day and LOVE!!!! Lots of other things I could help you with, just remember....keep it light weight and easy. You will be wonderfully surprised at how much you DO NOT NEED....it is just so refreshing and it will change your life!!!
Buen Caminio dear one!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also, if you would like to take any make up, do so. This is your Camino, feel comfortable. When I backpack it is zero, but on a Camino where I have to feel comfortable in THAT situation, I took a little, no big deal. Please do what YOU want. You can always buy/discard at your discretion. I wish for you a wonderful Camino..... it is your time, do as you want...... you will never be able to repeat it, no matter how many time you go back and try.

Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Always remember, you are carrying what you will live with and you do not need much. This is a very hard concept for most people. But, please, really think about this.... you do not want to leave a lot of items that you purchased with hard earned money behind in some alburgue even though the people there would probably love it. It is a waste of your money and when you get back, unfortunately you will have to reconcile all of your expenses and debt, so just take a lot less than you think. A backpacker's motto "take half your items and twice the money."

2 bras, 3 pr underwear, 3 socks for me. Some people just brought 2/2/2 and made sure to wash out every night. Don't take your parent's advice, just the boots/hikers + either flip flops or sport sandals will be fine.
I have a packing list for ladies you can check out which might help you made these decisions.

Always remember, you are carrying what you will live with and you do not need much. This is a very hard concept for most people. But, please, really think about this.... you do not want to leave a lot of items that you purchased with hard earned money behind in some alburgue even though the people there would probably love it. It is a waste of your money and when you get back, unfortunately you will have to reconcile all of your expenses and debt, so just take a lot less than you think. A backpacker's motto "take half your items and twice the money."

Very good advice. It'a amazing how little you need. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi yall,

What do yall think?

Sophia
Everyone told me to take flipflops for the showers. I didn't and they wouldn't have helped as they would have been too slippy and my feet were submerged in the water sometimes as the showers don't always drain. I walked in my boots everyday, taking out the liners to air at night. The boots were the lightest ones Salomon make and they were great for the hard surfaces of the trails. I took a lightweight pair of skechers sandals with thick enough soles that I could have walked in them if necessary. Footwear is a very personal preference, so go with what works for you. I found 3 pairs of undies and socks to be sufficient. Be ruthless in your packing - a lot of people send stuff home. Also, the lighter your pack, less likelihood of joint strain and blisters. I have to admit that I did buy a compact mirror on the journey. Buen camino,

I abandoned shower flops early on the trip and survived in bare feet.

I took two pair of shoes and found the second pair useful after blistering in the first, but if (when) I do it again, I will pack one pair of shoes and a pair of Keen sandals. It’s nice to switch out of your walking shoes at night, and most albergues liked you to leave your muddied and cow-pied shoes at the door. The Keens are nice for kicking around in the evenings, can serve as shower sandals and alternative walking shoes.

Less is better. I took a pair of shoes and a pair of hiking sandals. Generally, I wore the shoes during the day's walk and the sandals in the evening. But there were a couple of days where I wore the sandals to walk in and I've read of others who wore sandals sometimes due to foot issues. It is nice to have the flexibility. But I don't think you need any more than two pairs of footwear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peregrinamaybe,
Even though I completely agree that you should aim for as light a pack as is possible, I too disregarded the 10% body weight rule. At the time of the Camino, I weighed about 140lbs and my pack weighed about 18-19lbs. Because I had a really great pack, (Black Diamond 55L from MEC that could be compressed - see pic below) it felt much lighter than that. Next time, I plan to take hiking shoes instead of boots (I have weird ankle bones and the way the boot rubbed it made it feel like a bee sting so I now have KEEN shoes instead of boots) and flip flops and that’s it. Next time I will take the same amount of socks, etc..referred to in this post, but would lighten things up by not taking the hiking sandals and less clothing. I took too many tops last time!! I also took two sports bras that were for really high impact sports so next time would take something way lighter or the tank tops with built in bra instead.

Buen Camino!!
Looks like you also carried a front fanny pack? Handy I think. Since I can't carry weight on my back, I use a large fanny pack in the back (it can hold 11 lbs) and a smaller fanny pack in the front. I love it.

I love my fanny pack!! It's one of my favorite pieces of gear and carries all my important things and anything else I like to get at quickly. It's practically my "best friend" on the camino!

Looks like you also carried a front fanny pack? Handy I think. Since I can't carry weight on my back, I use a large fanny pack in the back (it can hold 11 lbs) and a smaller fanny pack in the front. I love it.

Actually, that was the top of my pack that comes off and doubles as a fanny pack. I agree, it was super handy for valuables and snacks in those days we sent our packs ahead. I would also sleep with it to ensure my valuables were close by.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I try to avoid saying f@nny pack, as the word has different meanings in different countries. I think that waist pack is more descriptive.

I try to avoid saying f@nny pack, as the word has different meanings in different countries. I think that waist pack is more descriptive.
Yes, and I've heard "belly bag" used too...that's where mine hangs! However, it does come with a waist strap. 😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Greeting fellow pilgrims,

Yes, I was also contemplating fanny pack or pouch necklace. I would love to have feedback.

Bueno El Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took 3 undies, 3 socks, but never needed the 3rd ones yet on my 4 Caminos, but I fear to not bring them next time...cuz if I leave them home I'm sure that's when I will finally need them! :p

My opinion is that whatever you are not wearing you are carrying.

The season you walk will make some difference but most of the time it boils down to our individual comfort level.

My experience tells me that most will bring way to much their first walk. I believe that is because we have an established external idea of how we like to been seen in public. Habits are not easily discarded. Many after their first couple of weeks adjust to the minimal needs of the Camino. Others will adjust more gradually and still cling to certain perceived needs. Others, will turn it into a competition to have the lightest pack.

Therefore, my recommendation would be, after you review a few packing list, take whatever you think you need to be comfortable and remember you will be carrying whatever you are not wearing.

One more thought, the number of washing machines has greatly changed the routine of washing our cloths in a sink. Some places even have dryers.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.