• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Number of stamps per day on Portuguese Camino for last 100K ?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I'm walking from Porto to Santiago this September 2018, and am curios if I need to get two stamps per day from Tui on? ( similar to Sarria ? )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm walking from Porto to Santiago this September 2018, and am curios if I need to get two stamps per day from Tui on? ( similar to Sarria ? )
Hi Sophie, I had this conversation with a pilgrim in Finisterre who was about to do the Port

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, confirmng you need two stamps per day. Either from a restaurant, church, accommodation or cafe, the options are numerous. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't take the Compostela rules too serious.
One who does 40,50 or even 60km a day really need two stamps, while people who take it slow and spend time everywhere, may only collect every 15-20km a stamp in the place where they sleep and also get a Compostela. It should be plausible that you've walked.
I had 6 stamps in total on a sheet of paper while I did the way from Ferrol (Camino Inglés), which is about 120km. I didn't expect to get the Compostela with that, but I got it.
AFAIK to confirm that you walked Finisterre-Muxia or vice versa you need a stamp from Lires and at least another one from a village between Negreira and Cee, as you can easily go by bus to both.

One who does 40,50 or even 60km a day really need two stamps, while people who take it slow and spend time everywhere, may only collect every 15-20km a stamp in the place where they sleep and also get a Compostela.

Well, this is because it is not about the number of stamps in total, but the number of stamps per day. The stamps are like the confirmation that you walked along the route, so if you do 40km in a day, you need 2 stamps to show you did it. If you walk 10km, you also need 2 stamps.

I love stamps and easily collected around 4 per day during my Portuguese Camino in 2017... such a lovely walk :)

It's about proving you walked. I knew a fellow who walked from Le Puy in France; by the end he was doing about 45-50 km a day. He forgot to get the two stamps per stage and so had only 2 stamps from Sarria and was denied the Compostella. If you walk that much in a day, you should get plenty of stamps along the route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless, of course, you take the Compostela seriously. In that case, you should follow the rules.
You should and it avoids questions, but finally it is still a decision made by human volunteers, not computers. You better ask yourself, what would you do and like to see if you are sitting behind the desk.

Sleeping in Melide/Ribadiso, getting a coffee and stamp in Arzua and finishing the same day in Santiago, where one gets the last stamp, is compliant, but a very good reason to be denied. Believe it or not a denial is unlikely if you get the bus from Arzua to Pedrouso, pick up another stamp and finish the same day (unless you tell them or show them the bus ticket). Similar cheats will be possible on any camino, maybe not on the last day.

It will look strange if you bring up 40 stamps (which is two credencials) just because you did only 5 km per day and it will also look strange if you have like 15, but only 3 of them from the same year or week (time gaps require an additional stop/start stamp) and even impossible if you bring only 3-4 from the last 2 days because you do e.g. 60km easily. Again, all would follow the rules, but at least the last one has a good chance to leave without compostela, allthough saying thanks to god for beeing able to finish an ultra run would explain very well why he/she did it in such short time and still with religiuos attitude.

Do they have different rules for cycling? If not a trained cyclist should get along with a stamp from Ponferrada and another 2 stamps for the last 100km.

Last edited:
One who does 40,50 or even 60km a day really need two stamps, while people who take it slow and spend time everywhere, may only collect every 15-20km a stamp in the place where they sleep and also get a Compostela. It should be plausible that you've walked.
I had 6 stamps in total on a sheet of paper while I did the way from Ferrol (Camino Inglés), which is about 120km. I didn't expect to get the Compostela with that, but I got it.
AFAIK to confirm that you walked Finisterre-Muxia or vice versa you need a stamp from Lires and at least another one from a village between Negreira and Cee, as you can easily go by bus to both.
Don't take the rules too seriously so long as you don't take the Compostela too seriously. I didn't really do a lot of stamp collecting on my first Camino and didn't apply for a Compostela. On my second, it was a little more important to me and I got one. For some, it is very important. If it is very important to you, take the rules seriously. You never know what kind of volunteer you will be faced with at the desk. Some don't take the rules too seriously; some do. If the Compostela is important to you and you get the latter type, you want to be prepared. The fact that someone else met a volunteer who was lenient is no guarantee for you.

The rules to qualify for the compostela are set out by the pilgrim office and mentioned in the pilgrims passport. I think that they are clear enough and do not need any further discussion.

If you want a compostela you can not rely on an exception! To avoid disappointments you should stick to the rules. You can not be sure that the volunteers in the pilgrim office may show mercy in your particular case.

- pilgrims by foot need two stamps/day on the last 100 km irrespective of their starting point and daily distance

- pilgrims on bycicle or horseback need two stamps/day on the last 200 km

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I've written, even matching the known rules for the last 100/200km, you have no warranty, that you'll get one!

And yet another thought, cause I learnt about that here: How should one know that the distance to Lugo is not anymore >100 km, if the waymarkers still show a onehundred + something leaving town?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Exactly! Someone may still learn something from current replies ;)
Ah! If there's one thing I've noticed here it's that people seldom learn anything from previous replies ;) Thank goodness people like @davebugg have the patience to repeat themselves!
(I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now . . . ;))

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back