• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Numbers down leaving Roncesvalles

LTfit

Veteran Member
I started out from St Jean Pied de Port on Monday. While in Roncesvalles I chatted with a few of the Dutch hospitaleros who have been there since October 15th (last day Friday) and they said that the numbers are way down since they started. During the first few days of their 15 day stint the albergue was almost full but on Monday night we were 59 and that included a bus of Spaniards who started there so I imagine even fewer numbers leaving St Jean.

I'm amazed how many get up and leave in the dark when it was 7c (yesterday 10c) in the morning and impossible to see anything before 7:50. DSC_1845.JPG

As you can see we had spectacular weather crossing the pyrenees! Personally very thankful as my last time crossing July 2010 I could barely see 50 meters in front of me!

For those leaving before November 1st I hope you have the same lunch!

Ultreia!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2018 Camino "season" is unofficially over... The next step is closure of the Napoleon Pass, as from 1 November (IIRC). Things will slow down until the end of March, or around mid-April.

Easter 2019 is on Sunday, 21 April. The 2019 "season" opens unofficially with Semana Santa, or Holy Week. This is the week immediately before Easter.

Between now and then, the Camino de Santiago goes into off-season, or winter mode. Many albergues close. Some private albergues and hostals remain open. Best to call or reserve ahead... Do not assume they will be open when you get there...

As we learned regarding Larrasoana, when the municipal closes (no great loss there) the local bar / cafe also closes. THAT is more significant as this tiny town does not have a lot of alternative choices. So, from now until next March-April, most pilgrims will likely give Larrasoana a pass.

Hope this helps someone...

Perhaps see you in Burgos? - should be there in a week or so.

Well actually I am already in Nájera, tomorrow in Grañón (obligated stop) and Sunday was thinking of St. Juan de Ortega or Ages which means that I will be in or passing Burgos on Monday. But one never knows as on day 2 my projected stages changed. Weather has been wonderful so I have been walking long days with 2 young guys who plodded on today.

Let me know when you are closer as it would be nice to get together :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sounds like you're too fast for me - hope to be in Santo Domingo de Silos for Sunday, 2-3 days from Burgos. Buenissimo camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Heading home after Burgos? Hope the Lana was great! When home will catch up on your thread.
Ultreia!
Hoping to get on to the Olvidado at Aguilar del Campoo, assuming the current cold snap doesn't last. You stopping in Burgos? The Lana is almost too good to be true, especially if you like remote romanesque. Suseia!

The 2018 Camino "season" is unofficially over... The next step is closure of the Napoleon Pass, as from 1 November (IIRC). Things will slow down until the end of March, or around mid-April.

Easter 2019 is on Sunday, 21 April. The 2019 "season" opens unofficially with Semana Santa, or Holy Week. This is the week immediately before Easter.

Between now and then, the Camino de Santiago goes into off-season, or winter mode. Many albergues close. Some private albergues and hostals remain open. Best to call or reserve ahead... Do not assume they will be open when you get there...

As we learned regarding Larrasoana, when the municipal closes (no great loss there) the local bar / cafe also closes. THAT is more significant as this tiny town does not have a lot of alternative choices. So, from now until next March-April, most pilgrims will likely give Larrasoana a pass.

Hope this helps someone...
That’s good to know. I’ll be walking in Feb and Mar, so it looks as if I’ll be stopping in Zubiri on day two rather than Larrasoaña.

Hoping to get on to the Olvidado at Aguilar del Campoo, assuming the current cold snap doesn't last. You stopping in Burgos? The Lana is almost too good to be true, especially if you like remote romanesque. Suseia!

Sounds great! Temps are indeed expecting to drop. It's 1c in Burgos I see and there may be snow! Colder than when I walked last January :oops:

I'll continue on past Burgos, to wherever my legs will take me. I have about 2 more weeks. It has been interesting to see the changes since I haven't walked the section SJPdP to Burgos since 2010.

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.