• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Numbers of pilgrims starting at SJPP

Tony Murray

Time of past OR future Camino
Five CF Camino’s to date.
Hi to all, is there a site that provides up-to-date data on the daily or weekly numbers of pilgrims beginning at St Jean Pied de Port? Basically, I am trying to find out if the numbers are high or low at a particular time (June) to help me plan my Camino. I would prefer not to book too far in advance (in previous years I trusted the Camino to provide and it did) but I know from my experience of last September (3rd--10th) the scramble for albergues was intense and I would not like to go through that again. The only figures I can find are from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago but that is not relevant for the section (SJPP--Burgos).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Pilgrim's Office in St Jean Pied de Port keeps monthly statistics.

You will see that May and September are the most popular months to start from SJPdP.

I have started July and August without problems of finding a bed.

June is a good month, numbers wise, but later in the month and during July and August it can be very hot.

It would be nice to see the numbers by week as well as by month to see how quickly the May peak drops.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ouch, I thought starting mid April would be quiet, it appears not to be the case. I'm starting from SJPP on the 18th April.
Around Easter is busy as spaniards and other Europeans often take one or 2 weeks off and walk sections of the Camino. This year Easter falls on April 17th so mid april will be busy. I would book at least the first 3 nights. We walked in 2019 starting the friday before Holy Week began and having booked Orisson beforehand, were surprised to find Zubiri totally full, and no other options until Pamplona, so we had to taxi ahead to Pamplona. There is always a "bottleneck" at the beginning till the crowds thin out. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I starting on the 26th April and like you believed that it would be quieter. Concerned now about having to prebook accommodation.
I am also starting on the 26th! Hope to see you out there. I pre-booked, but I wanted solo room/bath.

Around Easter is busy as spaniards and other Europeans often take one or 2 weeks off and walk sections of the Camino. This year Easter falls on April 17th so mid april will be busy. I would book at least the first 3 nights. We walked in 2019 starting the friday before Holy Week began and having booked Orisson beforehand, were surprised to find Zubiri totally full, and no other options until Pamplona, so we had to taxi ahead to Pamplona. There is always a "bottleneck" at the beginning till the crowds thin out. Buen Camino.
I decided on the 26th because it was after Easter this year and that people will be walking the days before not after. Maybe I should look at advance bookings, but how far in advance?

Great advice, thank you. I have Orisson (wanted to soak up the views and Roncevalles booked but may add a few nights just to be safe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great advice, thank you. I have Orisson (wanted to soak up the views and Roncevalles booked but may add a few nights just to be safe
Assuming you have SJPdP booked too. I have started a couple of times on April 14th and Zubiri was always completely booked if you plan to stop there. Don't worry generally after Pamplona things thin out with more possible stops and pilgrims walking varied distances. Of course, that was in a pre-COVID environment. The news does look encouraging with albergues opening. When I walked in Oct. 2021 there were definitely less accommodations, but it sounds like it will be better this spring.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Assuming you have SJPdP booked too. I have started a couple of times on April 14th and Zubiri was always completely booked if you plan to stop there. Don't worry generally after Pamplona things thin out with more possible stops and pilgrims walking varied distances. Of course, that was in a pre-COVID environment. The news does look encouraging with albergues opening. When I walked in Oct. 2021 there were definitely less accommodations, but it sounds like it will be better this spring.
Thanks Susan, I have now pre booked right up to Puente la Reina which is 6 nights. You are right, Zubiri was already really busy. Really hoping it thins out as stupidly I thought the time I selected was going to be quieter. I don't think I can handle having to dash around at the end of a walk looking for a place to stay. I still cannot wait to start though!

So if Ronc is full what do people (you) do for your plan B? Do they keep a number of beds valuable for walk-ins?

So if Ronc is full what do people (you) do for your plan B? Do they keep a number of beds valuable for walk-ins?

The albergue in Roncesvalles has some beds available for pre-booking, and others for walk-ins. However, when there are more pilgrims than beds many take taxis to nearby towns, or even as far as Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.