• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Numbers on the Camino Portugal

marbuck

Time of past OR future Camino
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
Last year we walked the Frances and loved the mix of people and the numbers did not worry us. This year we walked most of the Le Puy walk until a water damaged passport forced us back to Paris. We actually liked the Frances best because of the social aspect of it, the Le Puy route is rather lonely if you don't speak French.

I am interested if anybody could give me an idea of how many people walk the Portuguese Camino and if there is a mix of nationalities.?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
About 30.000 per anum I thought and many ,many nationalities.
Being a hospitaleiro for some daysat Casa da Fernanda one night I met 9 different nationalities in an albergue.
The caminho Portugues is popular among Portuguese ,Germans, Dutch, Americans , Australians, South Africans, Brasileans etc etc.etc etc......

Last edited:
On the Portuguese now. Meeting lots of different ages and nationalities. Stayed at Casa de Fernanda two nights ago, English, Irish, Scots, Swiss, German, Austrian, American and us Aussies were there. Would have been Slovinians and Italians too but Fernanda ran out of beds!
Jacki.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Portuguese now. Meeting lots of different ages and nationalities. Stayed at Casa de Fernanda two nights ago, English, Irish, Scots, Swiss, German, Austrian, American and us Aussies were there. Would have been Slovinians and Italians too but Fernanda ran out of beds!
Jacki.
I live near Tomar, Portugal, and I regularly meet and talk to Pilgrims in Tomar and on the Caminho Portugues. There are very few nationalities that I haven't encountered. Big advantage of the Portuguese Camino is that it is not so crowded as the other Caminos. Another advantage is that the Portuguese people are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. If anyone wants any information about the Camino from Golegã to Alvaiázere I will be happy to help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to everybody who replied. Looks like it is getting more popular each year. We spent a few weeks in Portugal last year as tourist and loved the place, would like to go back as a pilgrim. We like to walk with other pilgrims, it helps to make a better Camino.

Statistics of pilgrims began Lisbon:

2013; 2014; 2015;
Jan. 8; 2; 8;
Feb. 6; 5; 7;
Mar. 38; 35; 48;
Apr. 55; 105; 113;
Mai. 139; 230 ; 366;

Bom Caminho
So many still have to go before the number of 30.000 will be reached end of this year Aurelio :)
I am curious about the number of the peregrinos leaving from Porto.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That 30,000 number shows the huge differences in what you will find depending on where you start.

Start in Lisbon -- very few others, but in May-August you are likely to have at least some company
Start in Porto -- steadier stream but nothing like the Francés
Start on the Spain/Portugal border -- may feel the crush and the rush in summer months, leading you to wonder whether you have been magically transported back to the Francés.

I am happy that the Lisbon-Porto part is getting more traffic, because with more traffic comes more albergues, etc, but I hope it isn't another case of being careful what we wish for! So much of the beauty of that early part, IMO, comes from the uncrowded spaces and walking alone through fields, along the Tejo, with some nice little towns thrown in for good food and kind hospitality. Bom caminho, Laurie

Start in Lisbon - I think that an average of 10 a day is very good.

Now I'm thinking about doing the way from Faro to Lisbon, just I do not know where I will walk (Caminho do Leste (East way) or the Rota Vicentina).
AMSimoes

Jacki.
Hi Jacki, wish you well on your journey. My wife and I will walk from Porto next year. We are looking forward to that.
Have a great time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I live near Tomar, Portugal, and I regularly meet and talk to Pilgrims in Tomar and on the Caminho Portugues. There are very few nationalities that I haven't encountered. Big advantage of the Portuguese Camino is that it is not so crowded as the other Caminos. Another advantage is that the Portuguese people are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. If anyone wants any information about the Camino from Golegã to Alvaiázere I will be happy to help.
i would like some info. what can you tell me? will be there 3rd week of May

Caminho Portugues became very popular in the last few years, which means it shows the highest numbers of pilgrims right after Camino Frances.
But that's only half the truth. Still summer time is more popular and for most people the Caminho just starts in Porto (which is very conveniant because it can be done in 2 weeks and you can easily fly in). On the other hand where many pilgrims pass, you don't have to worry about company, food, information, way marking and apart from the summer months about a bed, since all these things grow with them.
Walking from Lisbon can be very lonely, real albergues are few. Staying in hostels/pensions is often good value for money, but they can be fully booked for many reasons. E.g. I couldn't sleep in Parque das Nacoes youth hostel (Lisbon) so far. Most of the fire fighters (bombeiros) stopped offering accomodation for pilgrims (I guess because of the growing numbers).
Since caminhos de Fatima are as popular as the Santiago ways, you will encounter people walking the opposite direction. So you might spend one night with two other people and the next with ten. Around Fatima it's even trickier. Some pilgrims avoid Fatima, others want to visit it (by bus) and of course some are walking it all the way (still with different choices for their route). From May to October on the thirteenth day of each month Fatima becomes more busy than the rest of the time.

I'd prefer Santarem - Monsanto - Fatima - Tomar instead of passing Golegã.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back